PDA

View Full Version : Legends and Lairs: Monster's Handbook

Fellfire
2016-09-25, 08:24 PM
I found reference to this in the excellent Fey Compendium. Does anybody have a copy? Don't really wanna track it down just for a couple templates. Dark fey and Deep fey. Can you post those here? Thanks.

quzar
2016-09-25, 08:52 PM
I've omitted the descriptive text, and only included the rules and stats which Fantasy Flight lists as open content at the start of the book.

This can be found on page 84-85 of Monster's Handbook

Creating a Dark Fey

“Dark fey” is a template that may be added to
any fey or animal. An animal’s creature type
becomes “fey.”
A dark fey uses its base creature’s characteristics except where noted below.

Hit Dice: Dark fey use a d8 Hit Die type.

Attacks: Dark fey have a base attack bonus
equal to +1 per Hit Die.

Damage: Dark fey carry battle axes, longswords, and other
larger weapons rather than the simple dagger
carried by satyrs, dryads, and other fey.

Special Attacks: Dark fey gain the following
special attack.

Poison (Su): As a standard action, a dark fey may coat a weapon it
carries with its own blood (Fort save DC 14, damage 1d4 Str/1d6 Str).

Special Qualities: Dark fey are granted the following special qualities.

Dark Magic (Su): Dark fey may use the following spells at will as a 12th-level sorcerer:
dancing lights, darkness, fog cloud, and minor image.

Baneful Influence (Su): After a colony of dark
fey has inhabited an area for more than a
month, the region becomes gloomy and dark.
Rain storms become more prevalent, fog banks
gather each morning, and slowly hunting and
farming yields less and less food. Permanent
residents of this area with three or fewer HD
must make a Will save each week (DC 20) or
suffer a –2 morale penalty to all attacks, saves,
and checks. This penalty persists for one week
after the dark fey are driven off or the victim
moves to a new area. This effect extends in a
10-mile radius from any lair, grove, or other
settlement that consists of 30 or more total HD
of dark fey.

Abilities: Dark fey gain +2 to Strength and Constitution
but a –2 penalty to Intelligence and Charisma.
Skills: All dark fey gain six ranks in Hide and
Move Silently.

Feats: Dark fey gain Blind-Fight as a free feat.

Climate/Terrain: Any.

Organization: Solitary or band (2 – 12).

Challenge Rating: As base creature +1.

Treasure: Double standard.

Alignment: Usually chaotic evil.

Found on 85-86 of same book. Again, descriptive text has been omitted as not open:

Creating a Deep Fey

“Deep fey” is a template that may be added to
any fey. The fey’s creature type remains the
same.

A deep fey uses its base creature’s characteristics except where noted below.

Speed: Deep fey can burrow at a speed equal to a quarter
of their walking movement rate.

AC: +2 natural bonus to AC. This bonus stacks
with any existing natural bonus the base fey
may enjoy.

Attacks: Deep fey gain two
claw attacks made at their best base attack
bonus that deal damage based on their size.

Creature Size Claw Damage
Tiny 1d3
Small 1d4
Medium-size 1d6
Large 1d8
Huge 2d6
Gargantuan 2d8
Colossal 4d8

Special Qualities: Deep fey are granted the
following special qualities.

Cavern Sense (Su): A colony of deep fey with a
total of 20 or more HD create a subtle magical
aura within and around the cavern they inhabit.
The fey gain a +2 bonus to Hide, Listen, Move
Silently, and Spot checks made within their
cave. Furthermore, each deep fey is allowed a
free Listen check to detect the presence of any
intruders. Treat the fey as if they were 20 feet
away from any creature that enters the cavern.
Creatures who sneak into the cave may attempt
Move Silently checks opposed by the fey’s
Listen skill. Check once for each creature that
enters a cavern. The fey may cover an area with
a maximum radius in feet of 10 times the community’s total HD with this ability.

Darkvision (Su): Deep fey can see in the dark up to a range of 120 feet.

Earth Magic (Su): Deep fey may use the following spells at will: daylight, darkness, magic
stone. They may use the following spells once per day: stone shape, summon swarm.

Abilities: +4 bonus to Strength and +2 to Constitution.

Skills: Deep fey gain a +4 racial bonus to Hide
and Move Silently checks made while beneath
the earth.

Climate/Terrain: Any subterranean.

Organization: Solitary or colony (4 – 24).

Challenge Rating: As base creature +1.

Treasure: Standard.

Alignment: As base creature.

nyjastul69
2016-09-25, 09:13 PM
I found reference to this in the excellent Fey Compendium. Does anybody have a copy? Don't really wanna track it down just for a couple templates. Dark fey and Deep fey. Can you post those here? Thanks.
It's a d20 3.0 product so some DM adjudication may be necessary. Looking at the the OCG Declaration by chapter...

Chapters Three through Eleven

All of the text describing new monster feats, prestige classes, templates, magic items, and special qualities is considered Open Game Content. All other text, except that derived from the SRD, is designated as closed content.

Both of the templates you are asking about are in chapter 6. This is, for the most part, open content. I don't have the ability to scan it or the wherewithal to type it all. Maybe someone else will. Also, IANAL. Proceed at your own risk. Emphasis is not added. The bolded is original text.

Edit: Ninja'd by a Swordsage. Nice stuff.

Edit2: quzar, are you using a digital or hard copy? My hard copy has the OGC declaration by chapter at the end of the book. The reason I ask is, as a collector, I'm wondering if there is a different printing from the one I have.

quzar
2016-09-25, 11:19 PM
Ah, seems I could have pasted the whole things. I'm using a digital copy, but was only using as reference the OGL description on page 4 of the book which is less specific than the one at the end of the book.

Very few people seem all that interested in 3rd party content, but you might find this of interest (and have something to contribute): http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?498205-Fantasy-Flight-Games-Legends-amp-Lairs-Errata I treat the L&L series from FFG the same as WotC content in my games (they tend not to overreach in power levels).

Fellfire
2016-09-25, 11:26 PM
If it is not too much trouble quzar, could you post the descriptive text as well as long as it is allowable. Thanks for the stats.

nyjastul69
2016-09-26, 12:26 AM
Ah, seems I could have pasted the whole things. I'm using a digital copy, but was only using as reference the OGL description on page 4 of the book which is less specific than the one at the end of the book.

Very few people seem all that interested in 3rd party content, but you might find this of interest (and have something to contribute): http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?498205-Fantasy-Flight-Games-Legends-amp-Lairs-Errata I treat the L&L series from FFG the same as WotC content in my games (they tend not to overreach in power levels).

Ermm... I think you are correct about the descriptive text. Again IANAL. Looking at the book I think you got the OGC correct.

Edit: I'm a big fan of 3rd party material, it's what makes 3e awesome. 3rd party material, whether vetted or not, some was, some wasn't, is still colossal in its impact upon TTRPG's.

Bullet06320
2016-09-26, 01:23 AM

thankyou verymuch for this, I been looking for those pdfs for a bit now, I knew they existed, but have been scrubbed from their website for awhile now

a lot of the legends and lairs series at my table, especially the npc classes out of darkness and dread and the alternate combat styles for rangers out of wilderness lore