PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next A New Ranger Spell!

DracoKnight
2016-09-26, 04:18 AM
I made Ranger spell (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJpmsAIT) to temporarily transform a beast into an elemental version of that beast.

Here's (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJ72pAUT) a look at a harpy eagle from my New Ranger Companions (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/B1WTKLJr6) under the effects of this spell. The stat blocks are at 5th, 9th, and 17th Ranger level, using a 2nd, 3rd/4th, and 5th level spell slot.

RakiReborn
2016-09-26, 05:36 AM
Love the idea! Only thing i am hestistant about is the +x to hit, because of bounded accuracy. The closest thing i can find is elemental weapon (if you count the BM beast as a weapon for comparison) which starts at 3rd, and ups at 5th and 7th.
I dont have Experience with either the EW spell or the BM Ranger, so i cant give feedback about balance, just stating my first thoughs ;)

DracoKnight
2016-09-26, 12:06 PM
Love the idea! Only thing i am hestistant about is the +x to hit, because of bounded accuracy. The closest thing i can find is elemental weapon (if you count the BM beast as a weapon for comparison) which starts at 3rd, and ups at 5th and 7th.
I dont have Experience with either the EW spell or the BM Ranger, so i cant give feedback about balance, just stating my first thoughs ;)

I'm glad you like the concept!

Okay, I will consider the +x and see how it works across the levels. :smallsmile:

GandalfTheWhite
2016-09-26, 01:33 PM
Looking at your harpy eagle, since that's the one you used in the example:

The normal harpy eagle comes out to a CR 3 at 20th level. Which is expected, and always how the math has worked out for the Ranger's Animal Companions in 5e.

The harpy eagle effected by elemental fury also comes out to a CR 3 at 20th level. It does more damage, sure, but it's still within the range of CR 3.

I think it's pretty well balanced. 1 thing: it should NOT be concentration. You're enhancing your beast companion without any effect on its CR. That's not worth hunter's mark. It ups the "cool" factor of your beast, sure. But it shouldn't be a Concentration spell.

DracoKnight
2016-09-26, 01:35 PM
Thank you for your feedback, Gandalf! I will tweak the spell accordingly.

GandalfTheWhite
2016-09-26, 01:38 PM
I would also drop acid damage for thunder damage...I just don't see a beast "crackling" with acid damage. Also, maybe add force damage in there...for a spectral companion.

And, maybe adjust the time to 1 hour - like elemental weapon. That way you have hunter's mark for the same amount of time that your beast is imbued with elemental fury.

DracoKnight
2016-09-26, 01:40 PM
I would also drop acid damage for thunder damage...I just don't see a beast "crackling" with acid damage. Also, maybe add force damage in there...for a spectral companion.

And, maybe adjust the time to 1 hour - like elemental weapon. That way you have hunter's mark for the same amount of time that your beast is imbued with elemental fury.

I like these ideas.

Requiemforlust
2016-09-26, 05:11 PM
Hmmmmmmm...could you use this on a Wild Shaped Druid???

DracoKnight
2016-09-26, 05:17 PM

I hadn't considered that, but I'm pretty sure you could.

GandalfTheWhite
2016-09-27, 01:00 AM

A solid use of the spell for those rangers who aren't the beastmaster.