PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Dual wielding with two light weapons

Shannonball
2016-09-26, 04:24 AM
I have come back to D&D after starting out on AD&D many years ago. I'm using 3.5 to run campaigns for my sons. We've hit a difference of opinion about dual wielding and need some help. One of my chaps wants to use two Elven light blades, these weigh the same as a dagger (1lb) and are the length of a short sword. He argues that as there is no combat modifier for two daggers, there should be none for these two light weapons. I understand that in 3.5 there should be a modifier for dual wielding for the primary hand (-4) and offhand with a light weapon (-6).

The debate is getting pretty heated. I believe there should be at least some modifier, perhaps -2 on the primary and -4 on the offhand.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

DarkSoul
2016-09-26, 04:45 AM
Page 160 in the Player's Handbook will settle everything. If he doesn't have the Two-weapon Fighting feat, it's -4 to hit with the main hand, -8 with the off hand. If he does have TWF, it's -2/-2.

Also, make sure he understands that there's a penalty for two-weapon fighting no matter what the weapons are. Even daggers.

Andezzar
2016-09-26, 05:02 AM
Page 160 in the Player's Handbook will settle everything. If he doesn't have the Two-weapon Fighting feat, it's -4 to hit with each hand. If he does have TWF, it's -2/-2.According to the rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#twoWeaponFighting) it's -4-8 for a light weapon (which a dagger is) at least in the off-hand without the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. With the feat it is -2/-2. It does not matter whether a light or a one-handed weapon is in the main hand

Also, make sure he understands that there's a penalty for two-weapon fighting no matter what the weapons are. Even daggers.Also make him understand that he can only make an attack with the off-hand weapon if he uses the Full Attack action. Moving (more than a 5 foot step) and attacking with both weapons requires more investment. The flip side however is that the penalties only occur when he uses both weapons.

DarkSoul
2016-09-26, 05:05 AM
According to the rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#twoWeaponFighting) it's -4-8 for a light weapon (which a dagger is) at least in the off-hand without the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. With the feat it is -2/-2. It does not matter whether a light or a one-handed weapon is in the main handThat's what I get for looking things up at 4:30 a.m... you're absolutely right, and now I'm off to bed.

Zanos
2016-09-26, 05:13 AM
As mentioned above, your players argument is based on a faulty premise. There is a penalty for using two daggers.