PDA

View Full Version : Insanity

TSGames
2007-07-09, 05:44 PM
Be it known, I'm not too fond of the sanity check variant rules. That said, lately I have been thinking about playing a...slightly cracked mage. I don't mean chaotic stupid, or lights on but no one's home type of insanity, but rather a mage who is a few dragons short of a full dungeon. I was wondering what feats/Prc's would allow me to better reflect his... unique world perspective.

What insipired this was that a very long time ago, before the forums were updated with new software, I happened to catch sight of a homebrew PrC that revolved around an insane mage and his interactions with the environment. This mage had a chance to interact with illusions as if they were real, do several other crazy things, and eventually, even objects would animate in his presence as if to validate his view of reality.

Recently, my group escaped an encounter(one that it was foolish of them to start) through a combination of hiding and making an illusion of the group plane shifting. This reminded me of the previously mentioned PrC, as I began to muse on what would have happened if such a character had been in the party. Anyway, it is not my desire to play a character that hurts the party unity or effectiveness(we play in a decent to high powered campaign most of the time), but I would like one who's slightly off personality is reflected in the mechanics.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Incorrect preposition, I apologize.

psychoticbarber
2007-07-09, 05:51 PM
I don't have any particular ideas for the build, but I think you should talk to your DM about letting you play Cassandra.

I mean the Greek Cassandra. The Oracle who was always right, but never listened to. If you were always, always right, and nobody ever, ever listened to you, that might give you an idea of a pretty fun kind of crazy.

There are a few other Cassandras in popular media, but my favourite is G'kar from Babylon 5. The lines the writer said in an interview stayed with me

"The Vorlons always ask 'who are you?'
The Shadows always ask 'what do you want?'
And G'kar is always right,
But nobody ever listens."

Anyway, back on topic (I swear there's a point). I think the kind of crazy that you would get from being always right and never listened to is a fun kind of crazy. It's almost the kind of crazy that would drive you to do something: Or else fall into nihilism. Try walking that knife's edge.

As for class and that sort of thing, if you're a patient kind of person, I'm working on a homebrewed template, class, and PrC built around divining and being a "true seer".

Hope I have given you more than confusion!

crazedloon
2007-07-09, 05:57 PM
well here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/domains.htm#madnessDomain) is the closest I can think of without any homebrew

But beyond that you can just go with RPing and maube take abnormal classes

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-09, 06:00 PM
Through diligent search, I compel you: return! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11491)

Black Hand
2007-07-09, 06:35 PM
Took one too many vacations in Pandemonium eh?

Maybe to keep it simple, your insanity makes you always refer to yourself in third person, and that there is a 5% chance per round that you go under the effect of the confusion spell for that round...or Tasha's laughter, or some other similar spell.

Proven_Paradox
2007-07-09, 09:10 PM
You could always go with a Wild Mage. They could easily be tweaked to be an insane character's class. Spice things up with a suitably random surge chart, and you're good to go.

The_Snark
2007-07-09, 09:27 PM
A Wild Mage or an Alienist would work; the alienist, in particular, gives the impression of being a little over the edge. It has no evil requirement, or even neutral requirement, so long as you're chaotic. A wild mage/alienist is particularly weird.

Heroes of Horror has a couple feats based around being mildly insane, but unless you're using depravity, one won't work (and you'll have to get the DM to waive the prerequisites of the other one).

TSGames
2007-07-10, 12:01 AM
Through diligent search, I compel you: return! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11491)

Sir, I am amazed!

You deserve much more than a single cookie.
http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/909/788410.JPG
ENJOY! :smallbiggrin:

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-10, 12:09 AM
Woohoo, cookies! I am totally sigging that now.

:cool:

0oo0
2007-07-10, 12:14 AM
Whoa, I want to play one so badly. Insanity is awesome!