PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Continuous Shillelagh Quarterstaff?

ShiningCrusader
2016-09-26, 11:27 AM
hi everyone, so i'm making backup character that i might switch to when my current group reaches lv4 (playing a swashbuckler, but my group is made up of mostly melee types,) so i'd thought about rolling up a eldritch scion/staff master magus. though i would like to make my quarterstaff a little better at damaging things. how much would a Continuous Shillelagh Quarterstaff cost? is it allowed by RAW?

Eldonauran
2016-09-26, 11:42 AM
Shillelagh is merely a 1st level spell that allows a club or quarterstaff to act as though it was a better version of a +1 Impact weapon (total a +3 weapon). Price it around that muchand you have your continuous item. :smallsmile:

ShiningCrusader
2016-09-26, 12:22 PM
i found the formula.
its (spell LV) X (Caster LV) X (2000 GP) so it would be (lv1 spell) X (caster lv1) X (2000)= 2000GP?
sounds a little cheap to me, i'am missing something right?

Eldonauran
2016-09-26, 12:38 PM
The formulas in the book are a 'guideline' to pricing magic items. It also suggests looking at items that do similar things and judge the price accordingly.

2000gp for the item you are looking for is way under priced. A +1 weapon costs a minimum of 2000gp.

ShiningCrusader
2016-09-26, 12:46 PM
The formulas in the book are a 'guideline' to pricing magic items. It also suggests looking at items that do similar things and judge the price accordingly.

2000gp for the item you are looking for is way under priced. A +1 weapon costs a minimum of 2000gp.

hhmmmm......thats true, i guess it would be up to the DM to figure out what would be the correct price.

though i can dream that i could have a 2d6/2d6 staff that works with TWF for 2000GPs :smallbiggrin:

Khedrac
2016-09-26, 01:47 PM
Also remember that the one thing you can't do with a staff of shillelagh or similar is cast shillelagh on the staff with the enchantment.

Shillelagh very specifically forbids its use on magic weapons so you will need a second non-magical staff or club to cast the spell on.

Thus while a staff with a permanent shillelagh on it works, an item of shillelagh cannot be self-enhancing.

ShiningCrusader
2016-09-26, 03:00 PM
actually, is there a way to add Shillelagh to a quarterstaff that can only be used minutes/rounds/charges per day?
and what would the cost be. if i switch to this character at 4th lv i would have 6000GP
technically it doesn't have to be continuous, my main concern was not being able to do damage when forced into melee.

Eldonauran
2016-09-26, 03:13 PM
I believe you are overthinking the issue. You are going to be playing a magus, a class that can further enhance their weapons with their arcane pool, and deal out quite a bit of damage by channeling spells through their weapons. You'll do just fine.

ShiningCrusader
2016-09-26, 03:30 PM
I believe you are overthinking the issue. You are going to be playing a magus, a class that can further enhance their weapons with their arcane pool, and deal out quite a bit of damage by channeling spells through their weapons. You'll do just fine.

i guess i would be fine without it, but it would still be great to have a quarterstaff with Shillagh usable a few times per day. (making it continuous isn't going to work.)

note: does any one know the formula for adding spell charges to a weapon? i'm not having luck finding it and i know its right in front of me. i think i'm going to go for 3/day charges of Shillagh, i' just read a forum where someone did something Similar with a different spell.

Sayt
2016-09-26, 03:50 PM
You want to look here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Magic-Item-Creation) And find the table labeled "Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values", which will give you a ballpark for the cost use%day, charges, etc.

ShiningCrusader
2016-09-26, 04:22 PM
You want to look here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Magic-Item-Creation) And find the table labeled "Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values", which will give you a ballpark for the cost use%day, charges, etc.

so if my math is correct i could make a Shillelagh 3/day quarterstaff for 3380

command word spell (1800) X (lv 1 spell) X (Caster lv 1) =1800

then divide by 5 (1800/5 is 360) 360 X 3 uses per day =1080GP

but before we apply it i think the quarterstaff needs to be master work (300 GP) and then enchanted +1

(2000gps)=2300 so 2300+1080=3380 gp out of 6000gps for a 3/day Shilllagh quarterstaff, (i'm going to have to confirm this with the dm)

Eldonauran
2016-09-26, 04:59 PM
3380 gp out of 6000gps for a 3/day Shilllagh quarterstaff, (i'm going to have to confirm this with the dm)
I still don't think you need it, but that price does seem about right for what you are asking for. 3/day for 1 min each activation, your quarterstaff does 2d6 damage. I'd approve it.

zergling.exe
2016-09-26, 10:31 PM
so if my math is correct i could make a Shillelagh 3/day quarterstaff for 3380

command word spell (1800) X (lv 1 spell) X (Caster lv 1) =1800

then divide by 5 (1800/5 is 360) 360 X 3 uses per day =1080GP

but before we apply it i think the quarterstaff needs to be master work (300 GP) and then enchanted +1

(2000gps)=2300 so 2300+1080=3380 gp out of 6000gps for a 3/day Shilllagh quarterstaff, (i'm going to have to confirm this with the dm)

One major wrinkle:
Target one touched non-magical oak club or quarterstaff

The quarterstaff cannot be magical, so it cannot be the source of shillelagh.

Barstro
2016-09-27, 07:56 AM
The quarterstaff cannot be magical, so it cannot be the source of shillelagh.

Craft Wondrous; Gloves of Shillelagh. 3/day Shillelagh as a standard action.

Even though I think the above is a solution, I still do not understand the underlying issue. As stated, Shillelagh can only be used on a non-magical quarterstaff (or other objects, but we are concerned with quarterstaves at this point). If the PC is already level 4, then he should already be close to a +1 Quarterstaff anyway (which I think is the same to-hit and an average of two fewer damage). A 5th level Magus is a swift action away from making the easy to find or easy to buy +1 Staff into a +3 or +1 Flaming, etc.

In summation, Continuous Shillelagh cannot really be used with Crafting Guidelines (see arguments about a Weapon of True Strike) and should be priced around a +3 weapon. But if the PC is really going to be a Magus, then he'll soon have access to abilities that far outshine Shillelagh for a much lower price.