PDA

View Full Version : Am I in the Wrong?

Draco_Lord
2016-09-26, 02:20 PM
So I am in a campaign and I am getting frustrated by the DM a bit.

I suppose first off this is more of a social thing for me, the DM is a good guy, his style isn't really my thing (It is very silly and random, choosing to make joke references a lot and stupid bosses, I have no issue with that in moderation but he goes a bit far). Anyways at the beginning I asked to play a necromancer with the intent of becoming a Lich, and he said okay. This of course means I am evil, do evil things every so often, though I do not target the party and generally do it where they cannot see me do it, since they would get upset.

Anyways, recently I found a way to start on that path, I need to cast a spell that involves killing a person and feeding their soul to a dark god. He said that the more good and lawful the person the better. The local lord and/or his advisor fit the bill fairly well. I got into their good graces, high diplomancy, became friends, and everything. Now that I am starting to want to kill them he is putting unreasonable (in my mind) checks in the way. For instance guard outside the gate says "You can't go in, the Lord is sleeping." I reply with a 23 roll of the dice and a "I am here to speak to his advisor about the potentional destruction of the town, the Big Bad destroyed the last town we helped liberate from him." I was then told that it did not work. Following a roll of a 1 (frustrating but we have been doing it) I try going around, but the castle is guarded from all sides at all times it seems. Lastly I go into the woods, see a rabbit, (The dm wants to make he feel good by having it be cute, which really just upsets me more) so I cast inflict critical wounds of it, and it breaks my pinky and runs off just fine.

I feel like he is only permissive if you do something he wants/has not thought about. Anything straight forward that he does not want is met with a no.

Manyasone
2016-09-26, 02:30 PM
Well, considering the style your DM uses, I believe the problem is in that he allowed you to play an obviously evil 'bunny killing puppy drowning neck romancer'. And then he slowly realized you are actually playing a necromancer which is planning to become a powerful undead spellcaster. He didn't see it coming and now he is trying to stop you... underhanded... I'd say, talk it out.
Just my 2 euros

Deophaun
2016-09-26, 02:33 PM
Am I in the Wong?
I don't know. Did Wong fail his save when you magic jarred him?

Draco_Lord
2016-09-26, 02:36 PM
Well, considering the style your DM uses, I believe the problem is in that he allowed you to play an obviously evil 'bunny killing puppy drowning neck romancer'. And then he slowly realized you are actually playing a necromancer which is planning to become a powerful undead spellcaster. He didn't see it coming and now he is trying to stop you... underhanded... I'd say, talk it out.
Just my 2 euros

As far as being evil I haven't done too much. The number of evil things fit on my two hands. Not including the above, I threw a bunny to become evil (I needed to do it quickly), and I killed an inn keeper and stole their inn (100 gold a night, that is just robbery), and I forged my name into a will to get some property that I then lost the next session because the town was destroyed.

Also how would you suggest talking it out? I am still upset and a bit emotional about the whole thing, and having advice and a game plan usually helps me calm down a bit.

I don't know. Did Wong fail his save when you magic jarred him?

Haha, very funny.

Manyasone
2016-09-26, 02:41 PM
As far as being evil I haven't done too much. The number of evil things fit on my two hands. Not including the above, I threw a bunny to become evil (I needed to do it quickly), and I killed an inn keeper and stole their inn (100 gold a night, that is just robbery), and I forged my name into a will to get some property that I then lost the next session because the town was destroyed.

Also how would you suggest talking it out? I am still upset and a bit emotional about the whole thing, and having advice and a game plan usually helps me calm down a bit.

Was the town destroyed because it was in danger? Or because you did those things?
Suggestions, man, I believe that a cards out discussion is the best thing, but that's just me. Ask him what he expected from you when you asked to play your concept and why he is boycotting you. Now becoming a lich shouldn't be easy, but he knew beforehand the way you explained it

Draco_Lord
2016-09-26, 02:48 PM
Was the town destroyed because it was in danger? Or because you did those things?
Suggestions, man, I believe that a cards out discussion is the best thing, but that's just me. Ask him what he expected from you when you asked to play your concept and why he is boycotting you. Now becoming a lich shouldn't be easy, but he knew beforehand the way you explained it

Basically the world is covered in Primal Magic Storms that destroy things. Local Dictator and Big Bad came to power by building pyramids in each town that stop the storms, but he can turn them off at will. Anyways we have been destroying them cause we were told by some guy (literally an old man we met in the woods who seems to have a lot of magical power) that doing so would be good, or something. We destroyed one and the next day a storm hit. Not exactly out of place, given the setting, but out of the 4 towns we 'saved' this is the only one that was completely decimated, people and all.

But take everything I say with a tonal grain of salt. I am not lying, but I am emotionally upset, so my perspective might be skewed.

TheFurith
2016-09-26, 03:35 PM
If you're an evil mage powerful enough to become a Lich, why are you killing rabbits? Is your last name Fudd? Kill the poor sap who dares tell you no, animate his corpse, then make him carry your bags for the rest of eternity. That'll teach him, and the DM too. Killing rabbits....

I am reminded of a song...but I'm not sure you can link Youtube here, so I won't.

Draco_Lord
2016-09-26, 03:55 PM
If you're an evil mage powerful enough to become a Lich, why are you killing rabbits? Is your last name Fudd? Kill the poor sap who dares tell you no, animate his corpse, then make him carry your bags for the rest of eternity. That'll teach him, and the DM too. Killing rabbits....

I am reminded of a song...but I'm not sure you can link Youtube here, so I won't.

I was frustrated at the fact that I felt powerless, and the DM trying to console me just upset me more, so I wanted to kill it.

Calthropstu
2016-09-26, 04:10 PM

I am now going to make an anti druid determined to destroy all things cute and cuddly named Elroy Fudd.

Chronikoce
2016-09-26, 04:28 PM
Chatting with DM is the best plan here.

I would in general approach this from a non-confrontational standpoint though. Along the lines of, "I've been feeling like my character concept hasn't been able to grow lately. My actions seem to be being met with obstacles at every turn and I am not sure what I can do to continue advancing my concept given the circumstances".

It is possible that the DM thinks the shenanigans and obstacles are funny and that you don't mind that challenge. If that is the case then bringing up that being unable to work towards your goal of being a lich is frustrating may allow you two to come to an understanding.

That being said, for the Evil players in my campaigns I have a general rule of "don't be a jerk". This applies obviously to the other party members but also towards actions that could derail the general flow of what the party is doing. For example, you are trying to kill this town leader but is there some reason that this town leader is important to the parties efforts leading the DM to try and discourage your actions rather than discuss the problem with you out of game?

Melcar
2016-09-26, 04:44 PM
Just stop trying to do any evil stuff for some time. Make him ask you whats wrong. Dont hint at it, dont say nothing. Just go about your business like you were a LG paladin. When he shortly after asks what has happened you say... "I have abandoned my evil ways, it was not fun to play. There was some force hindering me in achieving my goals" Then you smile, and say that this will be much more fun. Now this time the Mayors mansion will be open... Go in like being all good and smite the dude as hard as you can... its a high bluff IRL you need. Remember to have some contingencies, so whatever the DM throws at you... you win (short of DM fiat). Do it!!!

Erit
2016-09-26, 04:58 PM
Just stop trying to do any evil stuff for some time. Make him ask you whats wrong. Dont hint at it, dont say nothing. Just go about your business like you were a LG paladin. When he shortly after asks what has happened you say... "I have abandoned my evil ways, it was not fun to play. There was some force hindering me in achieving my goals" Then you smile, and say that this will be much more fun. Now this time the Mayors mansion will be open... Go in like being all good and smite the dude as hard as you can... its a high bluff IRL you need. Remember to have some contingencies, so whatever the DM throws at you... you win (short of DM fiat). Do it!!!

I anticipated seeing such a response, considering the nature of the Playground.

And while I normally disapprove of combating the DM, in this case he did start it, so let 'im have it. Dude essentially lied to your face.

bekeleven
2016-09-26, 11:10 PM
rolling a 23 on a social skill is far from an auto-succeed.

Draco_Lord
2016-09-27, 12:30 PM
rolling a 23 on a social skill is far from an auto-succeed.

A request to enter a castle that the party just saved from a gang of orcs, the guard is friendly with me, and I have done nothing violent, evil, or harmful to the village.

Anyways, as an update I am just over reacting. He did it to end the session early, I just wished he expressed that out of character, let me know to hold back for out of game reasons, rather then just stone wall me. But I spoke to him about it.

dascarletm
2016-09-27, 04:29 PM
To be fair I'd say that the roll did get the guard to let you see the king, or at least go inform the king's head servant to inform him that you were there and wanted to see him. I don't think you'd be let into his chambers while he was still sleeping, unless you specifically requested that. You'd need to roll extremely well for such a thing/use magic/do some prior set up.

Name1
2016-09-27, 06:00 PM
To be fair I'd say that the roll did get the guard to let you see the king, or at least go inform the king's head servant to inform him that you were there and wanted to see him. I don't think you'd be let into his chambers while he was still sleeping, unless you specifically requested that. You'd need to roll extremely well for such a thing/use magic/do some prior set up.

Or murder the guard. Murder solves a lot more problems than people might believe, D&D and otherwise.

Yahzi
2016-09-28, 08:05 AM
I killed an inn keeper and stole their inn (100 gold a night, that is just robbery)
You can't steal an inn. It doesn't fit in a backpack.

What about the employees? The regular patrons? They didn't notice you killed their boss? His family didn't come by for a meal or a drink and notice he was missing? People continued to actually eat, drink, and sleep in a place owned by a guy who kills people for money?

Anyway, here's my approach. Build an evil lair outside of town. Start robbing the graveyard for corpses. Raise an army of undead - it helps if people can recognize them, BTW. Start attacking merchant caravans and peasant villages. The king will send adventurers after you - kill them, sell their stuff, and use it to hire mercenaries/cultists/orcs. Raise an army and attack the king's castle. Capture him, drag him back to your lair, and prepare an over-elaborate and easily foiled ceremony. Wait for the heroes to show up and gank you at the last possible minute.

I mean, that's the proper way to do it.