PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Weapon finesse for precision classes without BAB homerule?

Albions_Angel
2016-09-26, 02:34 PM
Hi all. I am about to dump my current house rules into this so you get a feeling of the sorts of changes I have made.

I want to know if you think removing the +1BAB requirement for Weapon Finesse for Sneak Attack and other precision damage classes will screw up my game at low levels. I cant see why it would and I remember either having 3 levels of pain or having to dip Swashbuckler just to be useful in battle, but that may have just been because I was bad.

General:-
Death:
A character becomes Disabled at 0HP as normal, but does not become Unconscious and Dying until her hitpoints equal her negative Con Bonus. She does not Die at negative 10HP but if her hitpoints equal her negative Con.
Crafting:
All XP costs for crafting are removed. All other requirements must be met.
Favoured Class:
The penalty XP for multiclassing has been removed for all classes. Favoured Classes represent a racial tendency to become that class and do not affect gameplay.

Feats:-
Dodge:
Dodge provides a flat +1 dodge bonus to AC and does not require a target. For feats that require a dodge target, a player declares the target at the start of their round as normal.
Point Blank Shot:
Point Blank Shot is no longer required for Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Aquatic Shot, Woodland Archer and their derivatives.

Classes:-
Expanded Spell Lists:
Hexblade, Warmage and Duskblade have been given expanded spell lists, and some existing spells are available sooner.
Monk:
Monks now have Full Base Attack Bonus (as Fighter). Flurry of Blows confers no penalty to attack at any level and can be used as part of a Standard Attack Action. A monk wearing Gauntlets or Spiked Gauntlets instead uses her Unarmed Strike Damage when she makes an Unarmed Strike (including when she Flurries), and gains the benefit of any enchantments or enhancements on the Gauntlets. The Gauntlets are treated as Monk Weapons.

Hurnn
2016-09-26, 02:46 PM
No it wont wreck your game and it's a stupid requirement in the first place that penalized they guys who actually need that feat.

eggynack
2016-09-26, 02:51 PM
You could hand everyone in your world weapon finesse for free and it wouldn't hurt much of anything. So, go ahead.

Chronikoce
2016-09-26, 02:51 PM
It will be fine. I actually recently added a house-rule that every martial gets it for free at level 1 and non-martials get it for free when their bab reached 1. I'll probably just have it be everyone gets it for free at level 1 for my next campaign because it really should should have been an attack style that is weapon dependent and not a feat in the first place.

Troacctid
2016-09-26, 03:20 PM
You could hand everyone in your world weapon finesse for free and it wouldn't hurt much of anything. So, go ahead.
Can confirm. Gave everyone Weapon Finesse for free. It was way better.

Jowgen
2016-09-26, 03:50 PM
I considered doing this, but ended up just bringing the price of Feycraft weapons (DMGII) down to the same price as Dwarvencraft (RoS) and made them commonly available. I feel that the decrease in damage dice and limiting to light weapon was a fair tradeoff in itself, so no need for WSA-ish prices.

Psyren
2016-09-26, 03:51 PM
It's totally fine. Didn't bother opening spoiler.

For what it's worth, PF removed this requirement also.

Chronikoce
2016-09-26, 04:03 PM
As for your other changes.

None should cause any problem to your game. In fact the favored class change I would expand slightly by swiping what pathfinder did. Reward those who level in a favored class instead of punishing those who level in a non-favored class. For example, if you take a level in a favored class you gain either +1 hp or +1 skill point for that level.
If no favored class is stated by the race I let the player choose a favored class at level 1 and that cannot be changed.

Eldariel
2016-09-26, 04:30 PM
The bare minimum changes I recommend to 3.5/PF feat-wise:
- Roll Dodge and Mobility into 1 feat (and make Dodge a generic bonus and Mobility a generic AoO bonus; less bookkeeping, somewhat useful)
- Roll TWF, ITWF, GTWF into one feat, gaining benefits as you gain BAB. Could roll Two-Weapon Defense into it while at it; it's almost like someone specializing in two-weapon fighting should already get the defensive benefits.
- Give everyone Weapon Finesse for free. Generate a new Weapon Finesse that gives you Dex to damage.
- Roll Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot into one or remove the "fire into melee"-penalty entirely. Point Blank Shot shouldn't really even be a feat either. Everyone and their extended family are more accurate and get more strength behind shots at 30' than at 100'. One "enter the style"-feat is probably fine though. Could make both mechanics inherent and replace it with requirementless Sharpshooting that gradually gets upgraded into Improved Precise Shot with BAB.
- Roll the Weapon Focus-feat chain into one, upgraded with Fighter-levels.
- Either make Flyby Attack require Dodge+Mobility or remove the requirement from Spring Attack (and roll the option to get iteratives on the Spring Attack into the feat). The disparity is ridiculous, especially with how much better Flyby Attack is allowing full standard action (such as spellcasting).

In short, remove the pointless feat taxes that swamp the system everywhere and let characters get the stuff they want without having to hyperspecialize for basic competence (or just going two-handed fighting that does not require feats and is at least competitive anyways).

Troacctid
2016-09-26, 07:26 PM
Regarding your other changes, all of them are totally fine, except for the monk change, which doesn't really fix the class's problems and, IMO, actually exacerbates them by making it even more frontloaded than it already was, so that it's even more of a trap to stay for more than a level or two.