PDA

View Full Version : Ghostfoot's Savage Tide (IC) Pt 2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Ghostfoot
2016-09-26, 04:04 PM
THE SAVAGE TIDE RISES!

The first savage tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

http://orig13.deviantart.net/7539/f/2008/231/2/0/sea_wyvern_by_benwootten.jpg

Having bested basilisks and now a gibbering mouther our heroes continue their exploration of the ancient ruined city of Tamoachan, a brief stop as they sail enroute to the Isle of Dread...

IC thread #1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?290991-Ghostfoot-s-Savage-Tide-(IC))

Cavir
2016-09-26, 09:39 PM
Loradralsornux the female raptoran dragonborn continued to burn away the remains of the mouther that Urol didn't collect, especially the ick stuck to her and Connaught. She looks around the room at the bones and debris on the floor. "Another victory for us! It must have been here quite a while. Interesting that so many reached these ruins, and that this much got past the basilisks. With no threats around, maybe we can find something worthwhile in here."

She activates her magic insight and scans all around, including down into the well.

DrK
2016-09-27, 01:44 AM
Connaught crawls out of the gloop cursing in the northern tongue calling upon all of Loki's spite to punish the beast. Then calming egins to clean off the gloop in the fountain.
"I do not like battling the strange bags of slime we keep finding! I find them disquieting. I like an arm or head to hack off."

Hps 31/37
Saves 6/2/4
AC 16 (6arm, FF16, Touch 10)
Rage 1/1
Pact: DR 1/-, +1 hit
Vestige: Agares
Earth master, earthquake step, element companion, immune fear, tongues

Ghostfoot
2016-09-27, 02:11 AM
After clearing a little of the gore and muck away Lora surveys the area. Nothing about the room or the statue displays any sort of magic aura, but when she peers down the ancient well she senses magic buried somewhere amid the thousands of bones that clog the shaft...!

a single aura, faint evocation

Cavir
2016-09-27, 07:46 AM
Lora peers down the well. "There is something of magic down there, buried under lots of bones. I have rope and a grappling hook, but that doesn't help with the layers of bones. Thoughts?"

razorback
2016-09-27, 11:08 AM
Tchinik, once the creature falls, leans back against his spear as he settles himself. Reaching into his pack, he drinks a bit of water as he wipes the sweat from his brow.
"This adventuring and exploring job is much harder than I expected. Not really like all the stories I've heard... no kings treasure around each corner." he says raspily as he quaffs down on the water again.
Looking onto Lora he says "Well," with a smirk "I forgot to pack a few dozen dogs with me. I suppose there is the old fashion way, of digging through that boneyard. I have the ability to alter my form somewhat, if anyone can think of something that might be useful enough." He stands a bit more upright and some of the harshness in his voice is gone by now.

He's referring to Alter Self, if anyone can come up with a form that could help.

Phasm
2016-09-28, 12:09 AM
"Splendid job, everyone! Especially you, Tchinik. I shudder to think what would have happened had we succumbed to the thing's gibbering. Urol, have you any idea what that was?" Amiyah starts to pat Connaught on the back, thinks better of it, and offers him a sympathetic smile instead. "If I have enough magic left when we leave, Connaught, I'll use a spell to clean you off. I may need everything I have before then, though."

Hmm. A form that might be able to sift through the bones... the wizard toys with her necklace as she thinks.

Ghostfoot
2016-09-28, 04:48 AM
Eyes wide with excitement Urol breathes in wonder to Amiyah "I have absolutely no idea what that was. Isn't it wonderful!"

Connaught ushers his earthy accomplice into the well with a few words, the small creature disappearing into the pile of bones sending shards flying as it burrows down. After several moments it reappears, a strange blade of ancient design clasped in its hands. Placing this nearby it again burrows down several more times, each time resurfacing with shiny trinkets or coins!

+1 dagger (first magic weapon of the campaign - woop!)
6 x turqouise gems
a folded fan of ivory slats
a platinum bracelet
124gp

razorback
2016-09-28, 10:50 AM
Tchinik smiles back at Amiyah as he says "Twas a team effort, as always, but I appreciate the praise." with that he gives a small bow that is only a little mocking.

DrK
2016-09-29, 03:40 PM
Connaught looks at his pet patting the rocky little beast on the lump that doubled for its head. "Nasty beast. Is everyone ready to move onto the other passaegways? We've done well with these trinkets, who knows what other riches lie within?" He grins shaking the water form his beard and head like some sort of mangy dog and readies his axe once more as he heads outside. Stopping briefly by the statue he looks at the others who are more wordly. "So what do you think that thing is?"

Cavir
2016-09-30, 07:35 AM
Lora looks up at the statue. "No idea. Anyone want to check that for secret compartments before we move on? I did sense magic down the other passageway too."

Her magic insight is still active.

Phasm
2016-10-01, 12:16 AM
"Sorry Connaught, I have no idea." Khalil flies down from his perch and lands on Amiyah's shoulder as she turns toward Lora. "We might as well check, it's not as if we have a time limit. Who knows, there might be hidden scrolls or tablets!"

Search: [roll0]

Ghostfoot
2016-10-03, 04:26 AM
Amiyah searches the old statue as the others watch. After several minutes she hasn't found anything further of note. It does appear to be simply an ancient idol of some forgotten god.

Cavir
2016-10-03, 06:25 AM
Lora waits a bit to ensure another slimey creature wasn't hidden around the statue then heads back outside. She scans around, looking for anything that might have been attracted to the sounds of fighting. If there's nothing, she redirects her focus on the entrance to the northeast where she had detected magic earlier and waits for the rest of the party.

Since Amiyah is spending a few minutes searching, I might as well do that looking for more "guests" outside. Take 20 on Spot for 34. Then use Magic Insight towards the NE tunnel again, trying to pinpoint it.

Kelvin360
2016-10-07, 09:55 PM
Surtros steps over what must be the fiftieth identical fern in as many seconds, the buzzing on insects and calling of colorful birds unable to dispel the words still ringing in the ears that had, until perhaps an hour ago, been filled with sea salt and a few choice divine mantras. Doubtless Indo or someone concerned with his meditations had whispered in the captain's ear, but it was still her tongue that whipped him out to 'go and do something useful'. He'd left a few barrels of water behind on the off-chance he was about to get himself killed and stepped off the ship with nary a retort. He had vague hopes he wouldn't be flayed and stuck, body never to be found, but he didn't have high hopes. His best chance was simply to find the actually competent people and pray they'd allow his presence to fester even longer than they had already. To that end, it was as simple a matter as removing the end branch from a tree to procure a two-pronged twig and cast the spell that would lead him to Lora's Faith Token, something none of them would leave behind unless they were dead, which they almost certainly were.

All Lora is apt to see, however, is a dirty priest somehow shambling into the cave entrance, discarding a twig for some godsforsaken reason. "I missed your laugh," he deadpans. "What trouble has that gnome gotten you into?"

Ghostfoot
2016-10-08, 05:22 AM
Lora concentrates on the darkened northeast tunnel again as Surtros arrives alongside her. The magic auras are still there, unmoving. From where she is she can faintly see the crumbling tunnel opening up and an arched area about 30ft in. This is where the magic aura is emanating from.

Cavir
2016-10-08, 11:56 AM
Lora turns as Surtros exits the jungle trail and pipes up. She retorts. "Ha! Got bored on the ship huh? Told you you should have come along. You missed a couple of good fights." She points to the corpses in the area. "Basilisks. Came at us from either side. Meeting their glare will turn you to stone. Lucky for me fire doesn't need to be well aimed. Should make a good feast when we go back to the ship, if scavengers haven't picked them clean in the mean time."

She points down the tunnel where the mouther was. "The rest should be coming out of there about now. Had an ooze like on the ship but with lots of mouths and eyes. It stuck to Connaught and swallowed me right up, so I just burned it hard from the inside out." She grins, her dragon like mouth making for a very wide grin.

She turns back to the other cave she had been looking at. "We're going that way next. I sense magic not far into it. Maybe the others will want to look first before I try dealing with it."

DrK
2016-10-09, 01:09 AM
Connaught strides out of the gibbering cave and stops. "Friend Sutros. Did you grow bored on the ship or did you join us to save Indo's life before you threw him overboard. Come there is riches to loot and an ancient cave go explore."

He waits for Sutros to join him before hefting the axe and heading into the new cave fearlessly and relatively loudly as he coughs up dust particles every few steps.

Cavir
2016-10-09, 02:07 PM
"Hold up Connaught, there's a magic at the arch. Faint enchantment and moderate evocation. Probably a trap. I was waiting on Amiyah to see if she wanted to look before I tried ripping the magic apart."

Lora will give the same information to the others that come out, waiting to see if Amiyah wants to look first.

Lora's first chance to use her new invocation, Voracious Dispelling.

Ghostfoot
2016-10-10, 05:04 AM
Connaught strides ahead, heedless of Lora's warning. Moving down the short tunnel he finds himself on an ancient crumbling landing ten feet wide and fifty feet long. It overlooks a much larger chamber to the north, accessible by a short flight of sloping stairs. The entrance to the larger room is framed by dozens of skeletons carved into the fifty-foot wide stone arch, the bones intertwined with hundreds of carved snakes. Unnerving ripples of black smoke slither and dance among the carvings.

To the north the floor of the larger chamber clearly once contained a breathtaking carving of an ancient city, yet time has taken its toll on the map-like carving, reducing it to a tangled mess that, ironically, now seems to resemble the ruined Tamoachan above. The walls are decorated with brightly coloured frescoes depicting an ancient royal court in ceremonial garb and a king arrayed with his magnificent armies. Pathways wind through the ruins, affording a twisting route through the rubble. In the centre of the room is a wide plaza, in the middle of which rests a low stone table.

I presume that somebody has a light source?

Religion checks: All fail
Surtros [roll0]
Lora [roll1]
Tchinik [roll2]
Connaught [roll3]

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Tamoachan%206_zpsr4paaudv.png

razorback
2016-10-10, 03:50 PM
Tchinik, following behind Lora, here's her admonishment to Connaught but watches as the huge northerner continues on. Walking up to Lora, he gives her a sideways glance. "You know... I really hate messing with magic. Do you think it's safe or he just got lucky? Maybe he's the unknown heir to the throne or it requires a hydraslayer to pass?" he says as he tries, and fails, to hide a grin behind a stern look.

Cavir
2016-10-10, 09:48 PM
"Lucky so far." Lora moves into the cave up to the landing. "The magic is in the arch at the stairs. Hold on. The evocation enchantment is significant."

The dragonborn slings her shield. With her shield hand she opens her palm towards the arch. She makes a fist then jerks her hand back like ripping a wand out of foul wizard's hand.

Move up to U16
Activate Fire Resistance 5 Aura for all.
Voracious Dispelling (Dispel Magic) on the arch (Targeted Dispel), CL6

It was just today I re-noticed the part that invocations are affected by ASF :smallyuk:
Will have to keep that in mind. My armor has ASF of 10, shield is 15. In this case, no shield and if I fail there's no effect and I can just keep doing it until successful so no roll on that here.

I'll know whether dispels are successful or not right?

Dispel Checks:
enchantment: [roll0]
evocation: [roll1]

If either fail I'll probably just keep trying but first we'll see if successful and if not if there are any negative effects from the attempt.

Phasm
2016-10-10, 09:55 PM
"Surtros! I'm glad you could join us." Amiyah smiles and Khalil lets out a happy burble. Then she gets distracted by an interesting carving... what could this possibly be? The rest of the party's conversation goes in one ear and out the other. Until Connaught starts walking in, at which point her parrot speaks up. "They're leaving! Go!"

The wizard jumps and looks around. "Oops! Thank you, Khalil!" She runs to catch up with the others and stops short of the arch. "I'm sorry, everyone, I got a little distracted back there." Amiyah silently thanks the gods for her dark complexion, otherwise everyone would see the blood rushing to her cheeks.

Sorry everyone, I don't know how I missed the updates on this thread! :smallredface:

DrK
2016-10-11, 12:22 AM
Connaught looks at the massive rooom and the detailed map and turns go the others. "A pretty floor eh? Not much gold in it. Do you think we can prise up the buildings and see a tiny version of what lies within?"

Looking up at the walls he glances to Sutros and Amiyah,"What do the squiggles and smoke snakes mean?" He then crouches down watching with amusement as the scales dragon born starts playing with magic.

Ghostfoot
2016-10-11, 04:24 AM
Lora uses her innate magical gifts to suppress the auras, the enchantment aura emanating from the archway and the evocation now evidently from the large room beyond. The auras fade and the flickering smoke that licks across the archway dissipates.

Kelvin360
2016-10-11, 06:30 AM
Surtros shakes his head at Connaught, pausing only for a brief double-take at the embarrassed Amiyah's expense. "I'm sure it will shock everyone that 'squiggles and smoke' was never a part of my official curriculum. I know that Baervan Wildwanderer's clothes are made of enchanted wool and that Gwaeron Windstrom's favorite drink was Chondathan mead...but not the meaning of symbols relatively adjacent to my geographical doorstep. I consider this less an irony and more an atrocity, I assure you."

razorback
2016-10-11, 03:20 PM
"I know not what they mean. They are not like anything I've ever seen or heard of, whether a note in a book or a tale in the bar." Tchinik says with a shake of his head. "Some sort of snake worshipping death cult? Naga's and their half-breeds, perhaps?"

Kelvin360
2016-10-12, 04:16 AM
Surtros inspects the arch grimly from a safe distance, brown iris beneath furrowed brow flicking between the macabre display and the art further down. "Normally, I might assume this was simply a mighty display of a kingdom to its people...but the skeletons hung above the entry are perhaps the least subtle warning I've ever seen. I don't think anything good ever came from ominous stone tables like that one, either. Could this be a sacrificial room, or...some sort of malevolent test to the enemies of the state?"

Thusfar, he's staying well away from the arch. Though it may be mystically safe, there's no guarantee in the unknown. He finds Amiyah and quietly asks her whether she can find more mundane traps in the immediate area, every so often turning his attention back to the frescoes, trying to remember whether the events depicted have a source outside the ruin.

Knowledge: History [roll0]

Cavir
2016-10-12, 01:54 PM
Lora gives the the others time to look from the landing while she reactivates her magic sense and scans around the room. Tchinik's fun comment about Connaught brought back memories from her childhood, before becoming dragonborn. In raptoran culture nicknames were common among one's flock. And this group proved to be quite trustworthy. Lora states in a joyful voice. "Hydraslayer, yes, a perfect name."

The memories of home also reminded her of the advantage she had that should make better use of. Short of her finding more magic in the way the dragonborn raptoran steps off the top step and flies high above the ruined floor carvings, near the ceiling of the chamber. She hovers and scans the room using both her sharp eyes and magic insight.

Fly up and hover over O20. Magic Insight and Spot
Spot [roll0]

DrK
2016-10-12, 04:39 PM
As smoke and flames fade Connaught grins at the scaled warlock. "Good that something has gone away then eh? Let's see what is on the map." Hopping down he walks across the map towards the central "ruins" of Tamochoan on the map to look inside and see if there was any clues of things. While there he glances at through the doorway to the east sendnig little "rocky" that way with a curt, "Go scout. Shout if you find trouble."

Phasm
2016-10-12, 10:45 PM
Traps? Amiyah can check for those. Ever since the incident with the mutant plague zombie she really doesn't like getting too far from the group, but this kind of ancient ruin is prime trap territory. She nods to Surtros. "Good idea. Go find a safe place to perch, Khalil." Just in case she sets something off. Birds, even familiars, can be delicate. The wizard starts a methodical search of the room.

Derp, I have that rogue gestalt level, don't I... I keep forgetting about that.

razorback
2016-10-13, 11:00 AM
Tchinik just grins as he walks around carefully, face becoming more serious. He pokes around a bit with his spear, turning any detritus over to see if there is any clues not obvious but it is apparent he is only giving a half-hearted attempt.

With a +3 to search, I'm thinking his wayward personality does not lend itself well to focused searching.
[roll0]

Ghostfoot
2016-10-14, 04:52 AM
Surtros studies the frescoes around the room, searching for clues. He's not familiar with the cultural origins, but the purpose of the room and the table seems to indicate some sort of burial preparation with vistas of familiar royal scenes easing the passage of souls to the afterlife.

Urol, Connaught, Amiyah and Tchinik poke about the ruined model city, finding nothing noteworthy. While no doubt of interest to scholars it holds no immediate relevance to them. The passageway to the east seems to be the result of the collapsing or shifting of the construction as the unfinished crack extends into darkness. The little elemental proceeds down the gap.

Lora hovers above the searchers in the room, on the lookout for magic. Again, nothing is evident, at least until with a flicker the swirling smoke once more begins to dance across the archway and the two magic auras blink back into her awareness (enchantment on the arch, evocation on the large room that you are in).

Cavir
2016-10-18, 08:49 AM
Lora calls down to the rest. "Hmm the magic is back. The whole room shows evocation. Beware."

She glides down and lands next to the low stone table in the center of the room. She looks around it in curiosity, then touches the table, trying to identify the magic of the room.

Land in M21. Search then touch the table, trying to use magic insight to identify the spell.

razorback
2016-10-18, 11:29 AM
"Do you think it has to do with where we are in the room?" he call out to Lora. "Perhaps some means of detection? Maybe we should leave the room while someone inspects the room a little more closely?"

Phasm
2016-10-19, 02:22 AM
"I don't see any mechanical traps, or anything else of interest... oh dear, really?" Amiyah glances nervously back at the archway.

Kelvin360
2016-10-19, 02:50 AM
"Evocation, not Necromancy? These designs remind me of a burial preparation chamber, but clearly the spell isn't meant to preserve. If it were supposed to blow us up, would it not have done so already?"

Cavir
2016-10-19, 09:59 PM
"I agree. One way to find out."

Lora opens her wings and with a large flap of her wings she launches herself up towards the arch. She glides towards the last portion of the way and lands at the top of the stairs (S20).

Ghostfoot
2016-10-20, 05:18 AM
The source of magic and lack of any obvious effect is confusing. Lora decides to take matters into her own hands and glides back across the room to where Surtros is, deliberately through the archway of skeletons, snakes and smoke. As she flies through the sorcerous arch an unnerving chill washes over her, unsettling her.

...a few moments later whoosh! and inferno of flame erupts from the archway sealing the portal with magical flames. The heat is intense, but is directed in only one direction - into the room that depicts the scale model of the city - the room that Urol, Tchinik, Amiyah & Connaught are in! Even at the distance that they are at, they still feel their skin start to scald and hair start to curl and crisp. Urol yelps as his beard starts to cinder! Worse, the wall of fire slowly starts moving toward them across the room, inching its way north and threatening to burn the group to a crisp!!

Lora save vs Will DC15 (1d20+7)[12] + AP (1d6)[1] Fail - Shaken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#shaken) for 1 round

Fire damage (unless somehow resisted):
Urol [roll0]
Amiyah [roll1]
Connaught [roll2]

Wall of fire is currently across archway and moves north at 15ft per round. Next round it will be at the southern edge of the alcove, as helpfully illustrated :smallsmile::

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Tamoachan%207_zpses7hjcfl.png

DrK
2016-10-20, 10:21 AM
Over the roar of the flames that leap up into existence the barbarian curses but glances around. Pointing at the crevice in the wall to the east he shouts at Urol and Tchninik picking up the young wizard and cradling her in his arms as he hotfoots it towards the crevice. "Come on. run before it roasts us alive, get in in front of me, I'll block the entrance!"

Pick up Amiyah and run towards that crack in K29

Kelvin360
2016-10-20, 11:13 AM
"Oh, it's an automatic crematorium! Splendid!" He's gotten so good at sarcasm that at this point it's just hard to tell whether he's excited or distressed. He takes a step back and holds aloft a sphere, throwing a mystic hammer at the arch.

I believe this works out to move action to take out the Hammersphere, standard to activate it, plus a 5-foot step backward, and then the hammer attacks on its own for 3d6 force damage. Spiritual Weapon ignores DR, and I'm pretty sure it also ignores hardness, but either way. It'll be in existence for 7 rounds, but right now it's just going to take a cursory swing at the archway to see if damaging it will disrupt the spell.

[roll0]

Also obligatory HAMMER...DOWN!

razorback
2016-10-20, 11:21 AM
As Connaught rushes out, Tchinik pushes the others forward.
"Come one, Surtros, we need to get out of here." as he follow the barbarian.

Phasm
2016-10-20, 10:43 PM
Amiyah shrieks, the sound blending with Khalil's ear-piercing scream. Parrots do not like fire! She doesn't resist as Connaught scoops her up, instead focusing her will on her familiar. Go to the crack in the wall. Other than that, there's not much the wizard can do. She really needs to learn some energy protection spells, or get a wand of resist energy or something.

Cavir
2016-10-21, 01:04 PM
A wave of sorrow washes through Lora. The arch erupts in flame, barely missing the feathers on her still outstretched wings. She turns, looks, and realizes what she just caused. Her eyes go wide. Seeing those trapped start moving for the passage she understands their plan. "Yes, out of the way. I'll try to stop the flames." He words don't vibrate with her normal confident voice.

The dragonborn drops her shield and once again summons the ability to cancel magic.

Remember, with the fire aura, no one has taken damage from the crematorium yet.

Targeted Dispel Magic on the arch as before.
ASF check (fail on a 1) [roll0]
Dispel Check [roll1] (with -2 for being shaken)

Effect: Everyone within 30' has Fire Resist 5

Ghostfoot
2016-10-23, 05:12 AM
Connaught, Amiyah, Tchinik and Urol dash for the crack in the wall, just barely making it through as the searing heat washes past them incinerating anything left behind. Surtros holds aloft his hammersphere orb, and at his command a huge magical warhammer flashes into being. It begins smashing and bashing the archway, stone and dust flying with the demolition. Lora concentrates and uses her innate draconic power to suppress the magic of the archway...the curls of wisping smoke dissipate but the raging fire sweeping the larger room does not, only finally extinguishing when it reaches the far wall!

Hustling and ducking down the fissure the four boobytrap escapees burst into a small chamber of worked stone where Connaught's elemental calmly waits for them. The walls are covered with eroded glyphs and hieroglyphic images depicting what appear to be batlike creatures feasting on humanoids. The eastern wall, beyond a low archway, consists of a strangely out of place expanse of shiny metal.

Amiyah (1d20+13)[28]
tchinik (1d20+4)[12]
The sheet of metal which forms the eastern wall is the result of a wall of iron (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wallOfIron.htm) spell.
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Tamoachan%208_zpsrorktvzg.png

Cavir
2016-10-23, 07:58 PM
The others' escape helped Lora put aside the arch's effect. She turns to Surtros. "Crematorium? Should be safe to go in now. Getting back out will take some care. I'll go ahead. Don't wait too long. Safer while I've suppressed the arch's magic. Maybe they'll need your spell when you get there."

Lora briskly walks down the stairs and hurries over to the side passage to follow the others.

Kelvin360
2016-10-24, 02:43 AM
"A crematorium you activated," he corrects her, soft and grim that the others cannot hear his recrimination. While the archway is suppressed, he doesn't waste time stepping past, but he presses his coin to its cold stone side and murmurs a prayer of thanks to Tymora for sparing the lives of his companions...and the gnome. The hammer is the first into the gap, accompanying the elemental, and the priest himself brings up the rear.

What he sees doesn't really reassure him. "First snakes, then bats. Are we quite sure we aren't stumbling through the layers of the hells?"

He tries to see if he can get a decent look at the metal from his vantage point, calling on memories from the old days to check if he's bought or sold something of its like before...

Appraising the metal: [roll0]

razorback
2016-10-24, 10:59 AM
Knocking off some of the still burning embers from his beard, the ash floating on the air as is slowly falls and rests on the ground, Tchinik says "Well, to be honest, I would only have imagined that I would have been cremated after my death, not as the cause." he looks around and, seeing the serious look on everyone's face, he fakes a serious smile as he walks over to the metal. "Touch room..." he mumbles off as he inspects it.
"No idea what that is for... what about you, Amiyah?"

Cavir
2016-10-24, 02:51 PM
Lora reaches the others in the small chamber. She is not happy with herself. "I'm glad you all made it through. That was my fault. My apologies. We'll have to have a plan for the way out." She gazes at the images on the wall.

Knowledge check. History or religion, same modifier. Maybe my dragon mentor happened to mention something pertinent.
[roll0]
Then again, maybe not.

Phasm
2016-10-24, 11:28 PM
Amiyah takes a good look around, absently petting the trembling parrot clinging to her shoulder. That metallic wall looks awfully familiar. It's completely smooth, too much so to be made by mortal hands. "Ah, a wall of iron spell! I wonder if dispelling would have any effect?"

Kelvin360
2016-10-25, 05:19 AM
Surtros flicks some of his hair out of his face and makes sure to hold back the floating warhammer, glancing at Lora every so often. There's a reticence to him for his harsh words, of course, but better a lesson learned be reinforced lest that endemic crusaderish scorn for one's own continued existence put them all at risk. Amiyah's comment, however, draws both eyes to the Calish'ite. "I believe we just established that our first instinct when encountering a magical construction should NOT be 'tamper with it'. Is not a Wall of Iron spell a relatively powerful conjuration? Who put it there? And how recently?"

DrK
2016-10-25, 11:41 PM
Connaught brushes the ash off his muscles arms a grin behind the beard. "With powerful magical traps like that there must be something worth protecting in here eh?"

At the mention ofvthe wall of iron Connaught looks at the wall more closely. Fingers brushing the snake demons. "A spell to block a passage, can we just push or pull it down?". Connaught looks around the edges of the wall for purchase where one could wedge something in to get some purchase. Before also nodding at the elemental, "Go under then come back and tell me what you see. See how thick"

Cavir
2016-10-26, 05:40 AM
"It's not an ongoing spell for me to dispel. Something worth protecting, or based on these drawings something worth keeping in? If it could be pushed, then it could be pushed towards us. We've seen one trap, this could be another. Let's see what the elemental has to say. If it is thick, my dragon fire would still take a lot of time to get through it. "

Lora activates her magic insight again and scans the room.

Phasm
2016-10-28, 12:49 AM
Amiyah runs a finger down the surface of the wall, frowning. "It is indeed a powerful conjuration. Hmm... a wall of iron will rust the same as mundane iron. Given the humid climate, I would say that this has been cast relatively recently. That or the caster put some sort of preservation spell on it, but I can't see why they would go to that much trouble to keep it looking pretty in the middle of a ruin."

Ghostfoot
2016-10-28, 08:41 PM
Lora and Surtros join the others, a great whoosh sound of flame echoing down the passage several seconds behind them suggesting that the boobytrap has in fact not yet been de-activated after all.

Nevertheless they are safe and shortly Surtros and Amiyah are together inspecting the strange metal wall. It's definitely iron and appears as if the conjuration has occurred quite recently as it is not blemished at all.

Lora scans the room and finds no sign of magic. Connaught probes the edges for purchase but can find none. It is firmly wedged. At his command the little earth elemental disappears as its form flows into the stone of the floor. It reappears shortly afterward and shrugs at him uttering in gravelly Terran "Not far. Another room".

Urol pipes up "There must be something interesting through there. Maybe we just need to break it down?".

razorback
2016-10-31, 11:20 AM
Tchinik walks up to Urol as he looks around.
"I think that's a good idea if we can manage it without getting turned into a well done steak. Don't know how to manage to do that, through. Anyone have any ideas?"

Cavir
2016-10-31, 12:14 PM
"We could combine our might in trying to knock it down. Barring that, we make a hole with steel and dragonfire."

She looks at the wall some more. "Could the elemental weaken the rock around the iron wall? Did it say they was anything right on the other side that we would be crushing?"

Lora goes around the group and refreshes the Enduring Exposure invocation while a plan is decided on.

Break it down with STR checks, with Connaught as the main person and others assisting him?

Dragonfire is 3d6. Subtract the hardness and it will take a while especially if it is more than 1 inch thick, but doable.

Darn, Foehammer only lists bypassing DR not hardness :smallmad:
But... Foehammer and Tactical Strike both give +2d6 damage. Those combined with coup de grace would be better than the fire.

DrK
2016-10-31, 04:34 PM
Connaught leans against the wall leveraging some his weight against the wall experimentally to see if it will shift at all with just his bulk pressing against it. He flexes his muscles and presses hard against the metallic wall. At the words from Amiyah he grins, "Lets make sure we can knock thos one down eh?"

[roll0]

If he fails he sends Muddy into the walls to start burrowing down and along the walls to remove the secure edges that secure the wall of iron.

Kelvin360
2016-11-01, 08:11 AM
Surtros stays as far away from the commotion as he possibly can while he waits for the Hammersphere to fade, trying to figure out mathematically how many healing spells he's going to need when the wall or some similarly hateful inanimate object inevitably starts crushing everyone.

Ghostfoot
2016-11-03, 04:48 AM
Connaught throws his body against the wall but the metal won't budge. It's stuck fast. He commands his little earthen minion to start work sapping around the edges, the elemental making very slow tedious progress as it tries to work at the iron seal.

Something I didn't realize until now but earth elementals actually have "earth glide" rather than any ability to burrow or affect earth. So when it comes to chipping away at it Muddy is not much better than you guys. The wall/ area has hardness 10 so on a max damage hit with +1 damage for earth mastery Muddy is going to do 1hp damage. Possible but will take a while. Others in the party will hit harder.

Dragonfire at 3d6 fire is not going to work as fire is half damage (max 9) vs hardness (10)

razorback
2016-11-03, 11:15 AM
"Well, I don't suppose anyone brought a vial or three of acid, by any chance? Guess I'll have to add this to my list of things we need to buy next time we are in a town." With that, he gives a chuckle.

Ghostfoot
2016-11-04, 04:58 AM
Seeing the slowness at which the small elemental is struggling to undermine the iron wall, Connaught steps in and starts to help hacking away at crumbling stone surrounds. It's noisy work but before long the wall is loosening and you're able to pry back the metal. Thankfully it's still somewhat supported and doesn't fall back due to the wedge.

The darkened chamber beyond bears a strange resemblance to the previous one, in that the floor consists of a stone scale model of an ancient city. Yet where the previous model was terribly damaged, this chamber seems relatively well preserved. The layout and style of he city is quite different, with four wide canals converging upon a wide lake at the center, from which rises a great stone pyramid. Mighty temples rise from the low angular buildings while the stone wall display lifelike depictions of leering bats, lizards and snakes.

To the south there is a large alcove with a single passagway leading onward.

DrK
2016-11-04, 03:51 PM
Connaught peers through, a wide grin on his bearded face as he spies a small city of gold beyond. "Aye folks. This looks interesting. Its been a bit dangerous so far with that wall of fire and the like. DO you think there's any traps about here before I start tearing the things apart?" He paces into the room trailing the elemental as he peers around the strange room and the three dimensional pyramid. Axe in had he waves the others into the room.

Phasm
2016-11-04, 11:52 PM
"Let's find out. Lora, would you mind scanning for magic before I go check for traps?" Sure, Amiyah can cast detect magic, but why use up a spell when Lora can do it naturally?

Sometimes she really envies the dragonborn.

Kelvin360
2016-11-05, 03:31 PM
As befitting someone who still exists, Surtros stays out of everyone's way, letting them accomplish their assigned tasks.

Cavir
2016-11-06, 09:44 PM
"Gladly." Lora nods and calls upon her innate ability to sense magic and directs it around the room.

Also, Spot: [roll0]

Ghostfoot
2016-11-07, 04:57 AM
As Connaught waves them into the room Lora barely has time to register the many deeply gouged claws marks on the other side of the now-sundered iron wall. A horrendous ear-splitting shriek resonates through the room as a fearsome demonic creature launches itself from the southern passageway. Looking like an emaciated human-sized bat it has a long barbed tail and wicked-looking claws. Black hairless skin is stretched over it's frame and it has the skull-like head of a demon with glowing red eyes!

http://www.lomion.de/cmm/img/varrango.gif

It flaps into the air in the center of the room ready to swoop...

Varrangoin has surprise.
Surprise action: Move to H47. Height 10ft (ie out of normal melee reach)

Initiative
Amiyah (1d20+3)[20]
Tchinik (1d20+4)[13]
Urol (1d20+1)[11]
Lora (1d20)[8]
Surtros (1d20)[7]
Varrangoin (1d20+3)[6]
Connaught (1d20)[6]

Knowledge Arcana checks
Lora (1d20+1)[5]
Tchinik (1d20+4)[10]
Amiyah (1d20+13)[14]
Connaught (1d20+5)[18]

It's a lesser varrangoin, an intelligent & evil denizen (magical beast) of the Abyss. It has a poisonous barb on its tail, and you can tell by it's glowing red eyes that this one can breath fire (and is resistant to fire). They have spell resistance and are resistant to weapons not forged from cold iron. Oh and they explode when they die. Have fun!
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Tamoachan%2010_zpsb5zdhktn.png

=> Party (except Connaught who is flat-footed)

Cavir
2016-11-07, 10:10 PM
"The wall was to keep that thing in. Wonder if there are more coming."

Loradralsornux moves up next to the elemental up front. She bangs her morningstar against her shield, attracting the bat thing's attention. She calls out in draconic. "Come on! Come at me!" She follows the challenge with a cone of platinum mist surrounding the creature, slowing it down.

From OOC:
Granted: (1d5)[3], (1d4)[3]
1) Crusader’s Strike
2) Foehammer
3) Shield Block - Granted
4) Tactical Strike - Granted
5) Charging Minotaur

Those of us with Spellcraft 2+ are part of the teamwork trick "Spell Barrage" (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=4862.msg68838#msg68838) Since I've triggered a reflex save, it gets a -2 to its reflex save if anyone else causes it to have to make another reflex save this round. No idea if this bat thing is powerful or if we'll be meeting up with squads of them, so we may not want to waste spells here.

Specials
Aura: Fire Resist 5 for allies within 30'
Iron Guard’s Glare
Will use Shield Block if the opportunity appears

Actions
Move to G45 (Should be close enough for a 15' cone. If not, move to G46)
Slow breath (15' cone). 2 rounds slowed. Reflex DC 16 save to reduce to 1 round.

Phasm
2016-11-08, 12:40 AM
"...I knew this excursion was going too well. Summoning a hippogriff now!" Celestial bison are tougher and stronger, but what if the fiend has a ranged attack? No, better to summon a flying creature. Khalil hunches down on the wizard's shoulder, not wanting to move and attract the flying fiend's attention, as Amiyah begins her spell.

Summon monster III for a celestial hippogriff, +4 to Str and Con from Augment Summoning.

Why is it that evil spellcasters get a wider variety of things to summon? So unfair. :(

razorback
2016-11-08, 01:20 PM
"Well, that has got to be the biggest bat I've ever heard of!" Tchinik says with surprise as he spins his spear towards the creature and then mumbles "I really need to invest in a bow..."
He then starts to bring his allies spirits up with words of encouragement.

Tchinik
AC ~ 17 ; Current ~ 16
HP ~ 52 ; Current ~ 52
AP ~ 7 ; Current ~ 6

Free Action
Speak

Swift Action
Cast Inspirational Boost

Standard Action
Begin Inspire Courage

Effects ~

Kelvin360
2016-11-08, 07:31 PM
Oh, to have the luxury of wasting time with a perfect opportunity to deliver the classic 'oh, I didn't see this coming at all!' What comes out, however, is a sermon, in a language long forgotten or perhaps not a language at all, yet its words ring true in their hearts. Courage. Surety. Faith. Conviction. The blessing swirls to life around them to invite a sense of impertinent confidence in direct opposition to the horror before them, a gambler's smile looking down on them from the either. Telling the children to behave themselves. Mother knows best.

5-foot step to H41 to give Tchinik some room and Amiyah some cover. Then casting mass conviction centered on Lora. It gives all of us except the bat +3 to all saving throws for the next hour.

Ghostfoot
2016-11-11, 09:45 PM
As the bat-creature swoops about the room Lora blasts it with her dragon's breath, slowing it to a more languid state as it now struggles to beat it's wings. As the spellcasting starts and Tchinik's words of inspiration ring out Urol grips his little staff with two hands like a club in case it comes near him.

The abyssal bat flaps its wings and hovers in place, a vile stream of words hissing from it's jaws, Connaught the only one that can understand "Sutolore is free again!". It's demonic head and eyes flare up momentarily, illuminating its skull from the inside as if it contains the fires of the Hells, and then a great blast of searing flame and heat bursts forth as it breathes fire about the room.

"Oooh, kill it kill it!" shrieks Urol, his beard singed and sparking.

varrangoin Ref save vs DC 16 (1d20+9)[13] Fail slowed 2 rounds (-1 penalty on attack rolls, AC, and Reflex saves)

Urol: Ready attack (quarterstaff)

Varrangoin
Hover (10ft up - need a reach weapon to attack in melee)
Standard: Breath [roll0] fire damage, DC13 Ref for half damage. It affects everyone except Amiyah & Tchinik.

Urol ref [roll1] + buffs (save)
Miss Crazzle ref [roll2] + buffs (save)

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Tamoachan%2011_zpskhkfuhhq.png

=> Party

DrK
2016-11-12, 08:57 AM
Connaught curses under his breath as he and the earth spirit he is bound to curse at the flying beast flapping out of reach. Yanking out a throwing ace he hurls it one handed as the flame recedes.

"Get down here you flying ugly beast

Draw and throw throwing axe dam [roll[1d6+6

Hps 44/44
Saves 8/3/5
Rage 1/1

Spells
Endure elements, conviction (+3 saves), inspire courage +2?

Cavir
2016-11-13, 12:02 AM
"Get down here you flying ugly beast"

"I think I can deal with that." The dragonborn opens her wings wide and high. She flaps them as she leaps into the air, straight up. With another flap of her wings she launches herself at the bat creature looking to tangle herself up with the creature and drag them both down.

Fly up 10' then forward 5' to G46.
Grapple attack. If successful then stop flying and let it deal with my weight including armor and gear. To save time I'll do the rolls and GF can add the modifiers as needed.

S1) AoO: [roll0] + mod vs AC20 (bat still slowed)

S2) If AoO does damage beyond DR2/Magic, grapple fails
Melee touch attack: [roll1] (with +2 for Inspirational Boost) (bat still slowed)

S3) If S2 is successful, opposed grapple roll
Lora: [roll2] (with +2 for Inspirational Boost) + AP [roll3]
Bat: [roll4] + mod (bat still slowed)

Hehe- if Steely Resolve 5 handles the damage on the AoO, can grapple still continue?

EDIT: Argh, should have had AP on touch attack

razorback
2016-11-13, 01:55 PM
Tchinik, continuing to bolster his allies, runs forward and moves to a more advantageous position.

Tchinik
AC ~17; Current ~ 15
HP ~ 52; Current ~48
AP ~ 7 ; Current ~ 6
Spells: 0[3]~ 1st[3]~x 2nd[1]~
Bardic Music (7) ~ xx

Full round
Move to J-48 without provoking

Effects~
Punishing Stance: -2 to AC and +1d6 damage
Steel Wind: O
Sapphire Nightmare Blade: O
Leading the Attack: O
Mountain Hammer: O

Kelvin360
2016-11-13, 05:59 PM
Bereft of many other options that wouldn't seem wasteful against one mere enemy, Surtros holds his shield firmly and puts away his mace.

We don't know if it speaks common, so I'm not willing to blow my Command nuke.

Standard Action: Total defense to put my AC up to 24.
Move Action: Sheathe heavy mace.

Phasm
2016-11-15, 01:21 AM
A cloud of silver mist forms five feet away from the fiend's back. As Amiyah speaks her last word, the mist coalesces into a hippogriff with shining silver feathers, its claws and beak gleaming gold. The wizard points at her enemy. "Attack!" Her summoned ally screeches a battle cry and surges forward, claws and beak at the ready!

I hope this is the worst thing we have to face here, because I only have so many high-level spells. But whether it's a demon or a devil, it will have damage resistance of some kind, and none of them have cold iron or silver weapons. It's up to her to give her comrades the boost they'll need to power through. Amiyah chants another spell, hands flying in intricate gestures. The party and the hippogriff see the world slowing down around them...

Hippogriff will make a full attack with smite evil against the fiend. Do you want me to calculate and roll that?

Amiyah is casting haste (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/haste.htm) on everyone.

Ghostfoot
2016-11-18, 02:19 PM
Connaught hurls a weighted axe at the varrangoin. It flaps aside, narrowly dodging and lashing out at Lora with it's vicious tail as it evades her attempts to grab it. Tchinik moves in while Urol and Surtros stand their ground weapons at the ready. Amiyah completes her casting and a glorious fantastical creature forms, launching itself at the vile varrangoin its beak slashing for 2 damage even as Amiyah casts another spell and the party speeds up unnaturally.

Still hampered by the sluggish spell and assaulted by the conjured hippogriff the creature again breathes fire trying to drive it off. Even as it does a strange thing happens, a softly glowing orb materializes in the air flitting about next to Lora and the demon bat. An alien buzzing emanates from it, which only Connaught with his supernatural powers can understand as "Intruders. Tlanextli will exterminate." A jolt of electricity zaps from it shocking the varrangoin for 3 electricity damage.

varrangoin tail vs Lora damage (1d4+1)[2] less DR = nil damage

hippogriff vs varrangoin
claw (1d20+8)[12] Miss damage (1d4+9)[10] w/ smite
claw (1d20+8)[9] Miss damage (1d4+6)[7]
bite (1d20+3)[16] Hit damage (1d8+4)[12] less DR
+2 extra for flank

Varrangoin
Hover (10ft up - need a reach weapon to attack in melee)
Standard: Breath [roll0] fire damage, DC16 Ref for half damage. It affects hippogriff & Tchinik. Less resistance.

knowledge check to ID glowing orb (yes it speaks like a dalek!)
tchinik (1d20+4)[10] Fail

wisp vs varrangoin
Shock (1d20+16)[20] melee touch (2d8)[13] electricity (less resist)

Just a reminder to post stat blocks/ effects/ reactive items please. It saves me looking them up for each character & I'll miss something important (like that armband of elusive action, Cavir :smallwink:).
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Tamoachan%2012_zpspzj7apt8.png

=> Party

razorback
2016-11-21, 02:01 PM
Tchinik continues to inspire his allies as he stabs upwards at the flying creature.

Tchinik
AC ~17; Current ~ 15 and 17 vs ranged attacks (Crystal)
HP ~ 52; Current ~48
AP ~ 7 ; Current ~ 5
Bardic Music (7) ~ xx

Full round
Not sure if Tchinik needs to move. If he does, he takes a 5 foot step before attacking with spear using Mountain Hammer

[roll0] + [roll1] AP

Damage
[roll2] + [roll3] Mountain Hammer

Crit 20/x3
[roll4] + [roll5] AP (not sure if the AP carries over or not)
[roll6]

Effects~
Inspire Courage w/ Inspirational Boost = +2 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +2 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage roll

Mountain Hammer: X

Least Armor Crystal of Arrow Deflection - +2 bonus to AC against ranged attacks.
Least Armor Crystal of Acid Protection - Resistance 5 against acid damage, up to 25 points per day.
Safewing Emblem

Phasm
2016-11-22, 01:28 AM
Well. Now that she's summoned help and hasted everyone else, just what can Amiyah do? Most fiends have elemental resistances, and her ice spells probably aren't powerful enough to get through. She can't think of an illusion that would be useful here, grease won't make a difference against a flying enemy, transposition would do more harm than good, she forgot to buy silver or cold iron crossbow bolts and doesn't know which one to use here anyway.

Wait. She has fey spells now! Fiends are smart enough to be affected by mind-affecting spells, right? And this one can't be too powerful by fiendish standards, otherwise they would all be dead by now. Encouraged, Amiyah reaches for the bond she shares with the Summer Court. I give them a spell I have prepared- minor image, it's not going to do much good here- and... there! The illusion spell vanishes from her mental spellbook, replaced by something utterly unfamiliar that she somehow knows how to cast. The wizard chants strange words, makes odd gestures, and waves a feather in the air. I hope this works, or I'm going to look so silly!

I really should have stocked up on cold iron and silver crossbow bolts in Tashluta...

Dropping minor image for Tasha's hideous laughter. Will save DC 16. Yay, I get to play with a new class ability!

Kelvin360
2016-11-22, 01:11 PM
Surtros watches the claws of the hippogriff essentially bounce off most of the creature's hide and lowers his crossbow. He didn't really want to break out the artillery so early, but this sort of situation is technically why he decided to double down on the Hammersphere's enchantment. Seconds later, a massive glowing battleaxe taps the fiend on the shoulder, then takes a swing at its head, whistling the opening notes to whatever the Faerunian equivalent of 'I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay' is.

And this is more or less why I decided that I wanted to memorize an extra casting of Spiritual Weapon. This'll be a quick shot of DR-penetrating force damage, if you please.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Cavir
2016-11-22, 05:12 PM
The creature's tail makes contact but can not penetrate the tough draconic skin. Lora's attempt to grapple the thing also fails.

Lora is happy to see the hippogriff join in on the battle, in a perfect spot for flanking. The burst of speed from Amiyah brings out a toothy smile on the dragonborn. Lora flaps her wings to again move in to try dragging the enemy down to the ground.

Grapple attack. If successful stop flying and let it deal with my weight (including armor and gear) then use haste action to pin it. If the grapple fails, use haste to try grapple again.

S1) AoO: armband of elusive action to avoid AoO

S2) Melee touch attack: [roll0]
+2 for Inspirational Boost
+1 for haste
+2 for flanking
+1 str
+3 bab
(bat still slowed)

Lora: [roll1] + AP [roll2] (see questions below on modifier)
Bat: [roll3] + mod (bat still slowed)
Unarmed Strike: [roll4] nonlethal

Lora: [roll5] (see questions below on modifier)
Bat: [roll6] + mod (bat still slowed)

S1) AoO: [roll7] + mod vs AC 20 (bat still slowed)

S2) Melee touch attack: [roll8]
+2 for Inspirational Boost
+1 for haste
+2 for flanking
+1 str
+3 bab
(bat still slowed)

Lora: [roll9] (see questions below on modifier)
Bat: [roll10] + mod (bat still slowed)
Unarmed Strike: [roll11] nonlethal

- Inspire Courage w/ Inspirational Boost = +2 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +2 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage roll
- Fire Resist 5 for party
- Haste
- Stance: Iron Guard’s Glare
- Shield Block (DS2) Immediate to grant adjacent ally +7 AC
- Steely Resolve
- Least Crystal of Mind Cloaking (500gp) MiC p25 +1 saves vs mind spells/abils
- Crystal of arrow deflection (500gp) +2 AC vs ranged attacks
- AC 20, 49hp, saves 10/3/7

1) Crusader’s Strike - Granted
2) Foehammer
5) Charging Minotaur - Granted

Questions:
- Does Haste and Courage affect grapple checks? If so add +3 to each of my grapple rolls.
- If I pin it: "At your opponent’s option, you may also be unable to speak." Can I block its breath attack then?

DrK
2016-11-25, 05:15 PM
Connaught looks angrily at the beast flapping above out of his reach. With the lord of the earth bound to his soul he was angry with the creature! Hearing the strange other creature attaxking the flapping one he looked to the others - "Leave the glowing thing alone - it defends the city from the flapping demon!". Looking up at the demon he gestures - "Beast. Come down here and face me!"

Ready to chop if it comes into reach PA 2 [roll0] dam [roll1] Bull rush if hit [roll2] vs [roll3] +??

Hps 44/44
Saves 8/3/5
Rage 1/1

Spells

Ghostfoot
2016-11-26, 04:47 AM
Tchinik stabs upward at the demonic creature with a savage mighty blow for 19 damage. Amiyah casts a spell to little effect. The magical hippogriff swoops past the varrangoin, lashing out at it. Its strikes do not connect, and the varrangoin also retaliates futilely. As the hippogriff flaps its wings and circles back a flash of energy passes from the nearby glowing wisp, shocking the poor creature for 10 electricity damage.

Surtros casts his spell and a sorcerous axe magically appears, swinging at the varrangoin for 6 damage. Lora flaps her wings and hurtles in toward the bat thing again this time grabbing it and sending them both plummeting in a tangled mess to fall upon the model city below. With a shout Connaught leaps forward, his mighty blow unnaturally resisted and only inflicting 1 damage.

The pinned varrangoin skull flares up again, giving a seconds warning as a gout of flame issues forth across Lora, Connaught and his bound companion.

The buzzing ball of light also drops down, although this time as everyone struggles on the ground it darts forward and zaps Lora for 5 electricity damage

@Razorback, no need to spend an AP. The attack hits without it.

hippogriff vs varrangoin
claw (1d20+13)[18] Hit damage (1d4+8)[9]
hippogriff circles the room as a move action to stay aloft. This draws AoO...

Varrangoin AoO vs hippogriff bite(1d20+5)[12] Miss damage (1d6+2)[5]
Wisp AoO vs hippogriff touch (1d20+12)[15] Hit damage (2d6)[10] electricity

If I pin it: "At your opponent’s option, you may also be unable to speak." Can I block its breath attack then? I will say.....no. I wouldn't do that to you either :smallsmile:.

Breath (3d6)[12] fire damage, DC16 Ref for half damage (minus any resistance). This affects Lora, Connaught & Muddy

Wisp vs Lora touch (1d20+16)[29] Hit damage (2d6)[5] electricity

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Tamoachan%2013_zpsulhs1ote.png

=> Party

Cavir
2016-11-29, 07:34 AM
Lora successfully drags it down to the ground for all to pound on. ZAP is the thanks she gets in return. "Hey! Tell that glowing thing to leave us alone too or it won't be defending anything much longer!

Goal accomplished, the dragonborn releases the bat creature so that all can beat it into the ground. Opposite Connaught, she swings at the creature with Bahamut's might empowering the strike and follows it up with another strike.

Free: release grapple, entering H48 (under the hippogriff, flanking with Connaught)
Full attack: Foehammer + melee (from Haste). Yeah, finally using a maneuver for a strike.

Don't know if possible but if so, Iron Guard Stance/Shield Block only threatening the Wisp if it attacks the party. It is free to attack the bat. Otherwise try considering it a friendly for now.

to hit: +3 BAB, +1 STR, +2 Courage, +1 Haste, +2 flanking, +1 Counterstrike
damage: +1 STR, +2 Courage, +1 Counterstrike

Foehammer (ignore DR): [roll0] crit: [roll1]
damage: [roll2] + [roll3]
crit: [roll4] + [roll5]

melee: [roll6] crit: [roll7]
damage: [roll8] crit: [roll9]

End of my turn, damage pool moves to hp.
- Inspire Courage w/ Inspirational Boost = +2 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +2 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage roll
- Haste
- Steely Resolve
- Armband of Elusive Action
- AC 21 (haste), 37/52hp, saves 10/3/7

2) Foehammer - Expended
5) Charging Minotaur - Granted

Next round: maneuvers reset, granting: [roll10]

razorback
2016-11-30, 12:08 PM
Tchinik has a hard time keeping up his battle hymn as he smiles broadly as he spear bites deep into the creature.
Continuing, he lunges forward, using his moment to try and push his spear clean through the creature.

Tchinik
AC ~17; Current ~ 16 and 18 vs ranged attacks (Crystal)
HP ~ 52; Current ~48
AP ~ 7 ; Current ~ 6
Bardic Music (7) ~ xx

Full round
Full attack with haste
1st attack
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

Crit 20/x3
[roll2]
[roll3]

2nd attack
[roll4]

Damage
[roll5]

Crit 20/x3
[roll6]
[roll7]

Effects~
Inspire Courage w/ Inspirational Boost = +2 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +2 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage roll
Haste = A hasted creature gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex save

Least Armor Crystal of Arrow Deflection - +2 bonus to AC against ranged attacks.
Least Armor Crystal of Acid Protection - Resistance 5 against acid damage, up to 25 points per day.
Safewing Emblem

Kelvin360
2016-11-30, 02:44 PM
The axe fakes another swing, then spins itself in a circle and hefts a while before unceremoniously dropping down blade-first with a dull brassy note.

[roll0]
[roll1]

DrK
2016-11-30, 04:13 PM
Connaught laughs a hearty bellow as the demon plummets from the sky thudding into the ground. Ignoring the sheet of fire that washes over him, the warding of the dragonborn taking the worst of the damage he leaps in, axe swinging in brutal double handed arcs at the pinned beast wriggling on the floor. He wades in, "Come on you beast. Time to end your vile ways. Good catch there, hold it still while I hack its head off!"

Ref save vs fire [roll0] Vs DC16 for 7 or 1 damage

Atk (PA4): Attack [roll1] Dam [roll2]
Atk (PA4 with AP) Attack [roll3] Dam [roll4]

Hps 44/44
Saves 8/3/5
Rage 1/1

AP: 5/6

Spells

Phasm
2016-12-06, 02:24 AM
Amiyah can't think of anything else to do right now- she still has bands of steel but wants to save it for later- so she might as well try her fey magic again. Once more she chants, sacrificing an ice knife to the Summer Queen, and waves a feather to ensnare the fiend's mind.

Let's try Tasha's hideous laughter again!

Ghostfoot
2016-12-10, 04:47 AM
Lora releases the struggling bat-demon, rolling back as she does and swinging with her morningstar smashing it for 13 damage. Tchinik stabs at it again, his first mighty hit somehow resisted by its impervious hide but the second striking true for 4 damage. Surtros' axe whirls and swings but the varrangoin hisses and manages to duck but not so Connaught's axe, which thunks home satisfyingly for 9 damage.

The hippogriff whirls about the room again, claws raking the varrangoin for 2 damage. However it's graceful flight again draws attacks, the glowing wisp again shocking it for 10 electricity damage even as Lora tries to protect it. Lora does draw its attention though, as she finds out as it zaps her too for 3 electricity damage!

The varrangoin, free from the hampering grapple and reeling from its wounds flaps once more into the air lashing out futilely at Lora as it does.

Amiyah vs spell resist DC? Amiyah (1d20+6)[13] PC win
varrangoin vs laughter Will DC16 (1d20+2)[18] Save

don't forget your hippogriff actions!
hippogriff vs varrangoin
claw (1d20+12)[27] damage (1d4+8)[12] Hit
claw (1d20+12)[30] damage (1d4+8)[9] Hit
bite (1d20+7)[15] damage (1d4+6)[9] Miss

don't forget elemental companion actions
rocky ft step then slam (1d20+5)[20] Hit damage (1d6+4)[8]

Varrangoin AoO vs hippogriff bite (1d20+4)[11] Miss damage (1d6+2)[4]
Wisp AoO vs hippogriff touch (1d20+14)[26] Hit damage (2d6)[10] electricity

Wisp vs Lora touch (1d20+16)[20] Hit damage (2d6)[3] electricity

varrangoin vs Lora
fly 5ft up (not even sure if this can be done as a 5ft step...still in melee range from ground though)
bite (1d20+10)[17] Miss damage (1d6+2)[7]
claw (1d20+8)[10] Miss damage (1d4+1)[2]
claw (1d20+8)[20] Miss damage (1d4+1)[4]
tail sting (1d8)[7] Miss damage (1d4+1)[5] + poison?

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Tamoachan%2014_zpsxqulrwxc.png

=> Party

Cavir
2016-12-11, 08:09 PM
Lora clenches her teeth from once again getting zapped but does manage to easily dodge the bat creature's weak attempts to strike out while it rises up.

"I'll slow it down. Have the hippogriff drag it back down. Get that light to back off!"

With the hippogriffin right above her, she steps to the side then releases her misty breath attack upward, slowing the bat creature while missing the glowing thing.
5' step to I47

Slow breath attack, hitting the bat but missing the wisp and 'griff. Slowed 2 rounds, Reflex DC 16 to reduce it to 1 round.

- Haste
- Steely Resolve
- AC 21 (haste), 34/52hp, saves 10/3/7

2) Foehammer - Ready
4) Tactical Strike - Ready
5) Charging Minotaur - Ready

Next round's maneuver granted: [roll0]

razorback
2016-12-12, 12:34 PM
Tchinik continues on with both his rallying song and his assault on the creature.

Tchinik
HP ~ 52; Current ~48
AP ~ 7 ; Current ~ 6
Bardic Music (7) ~ xx

Full round
Full attack with haste
1st attack
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

Crit 20/x3
[roll2]
[roll3]

2nd attack
[roll4]

Damage
[roll5]

Crit 20/x3
[roll6]
[roll7]

Effects~
Haste = A hasted creature gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex save

Safewing Emblem

Kelvin360
2016-12-12, 06:37 PM
Surtros polishes a spot on his crossbow while the axe keeps going up and down, increasingly growing bored with 'swing' and progressing to 'waltz'. "I'm somewhat surprised this place hasn't been cleared out before now," he comments to Amiyah. "Perhaps the defenses left remains deeper inside, but there are no shortage of companies who would make it their business to pick it clean."

[roll0]
[roll1]

Phasm
2016-12-13, 01:40 AM
Okay, this is getting ridiculous. Amiyah spares a few seconds to glance over at Surtros while she fishes around in her spell component pouch. "There better not be much left in the way of defenses, because I'm running out of my good spells." With that she turns back to the fiend and begins one of her shiny new spells. Not fey magic, this is good old fashioned conjuration. Chanting a string of mystic words, the wizard holds up what looks like three tiny links of silver chain or interlocked rings. The rings briefly glow hot and vanish; at the same time, much larger bands of silver fly from Amiyah's hand to encircle the fiend.

Stupid flying enemies. It broke Lora's grapple, so now it gets to deal with bands of steel!

DrK
2016-12-17, 03:53 PM
Connaught curses swinging haphazardly at the beast. Leaping up he chops and hews at it seeking to hack its tiny bat like wings from its body and bring it down to earth permanently. Looking about he points at his fellow spell casters. "We can destroy this beast. Quickly get the wisp lest it electrocute us again." The earth elemental joins in with its master fisst slamming at the beast's retreating tail.

Atk (PA2): Attack [roll0] dam [roll1]
Atk (PA2): Attack [roll2] dam [roll3]

Elemental
Slam [roll4] dam [roll5]
Slam [roll6] dam [roll7]

Hps 44/44
Saves 8/3/5
Rage 1/1

AP: 5/6

Spells

Ghostfoot
2016-12-21, 10:19 PM
Lora's breath washes over the varrangoin again, magically slowing it. Seeing his chance Tchinik lunges upward skewering it through the torso for 2 damage. Finally bested the demon bat collapses, pinned to the ground and pulsing dark demon blood about the streets of the model city as it breathes its last!

Sorry I should have stepped in a couple of actions earlier. Surtros, Amiyah, Hippogriff, Connaught & Elemental can redirect to the wisp if you want to or can post a different action if you choose.

Ghostfoot
2017-01-06, 02:48 PM
With the varrangoin slain and lying in a broken heap on the model city below, there is still the angry wisp to contend with. Surtros pauses his axe's wild swings waiting to see what happens next, and Amiyah likewise instructs her magical hippogriff to circle away. The thing doesn't seem to respect the gestures of conciliation, angrily buzzing as it pulses with energy.

With a few words of magic silver bands fly from Amiyah and encircle the malicious orb, capturing it in a metallic prison. "Quick! Collect it!" should Urol, excited at the possibilities. Connaught and his elemental cohort ignore the gnome and swing at the thing but can't quite connect as it buzzes about like a caged wasp, finally slipping through a gap and breaking free angrier than ever!

hippogriff withdraw => avoid AoO

wisp Ref save DC17 vs bands of steel (1d20+12)[14] Fail => helpless
wisp escape artist vs DC18 (1d20+9)[29] Succeed => Free

so close to a coup de grace!

=> Party

razorback
2017-01-06, 06:17 PM
Tchinik, getting a bit raspy, continues to sing on as he closes in on the creature.

Tchinik
HP ~ 52; Current ~48
AP ~ 7 ; Current ~ 6
Bardic Music (7) ~ xx

Free Action
5 foot step to I-48

Full round
Full attack with haste
1st attack
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1] + [roll2] Punishing Stance

Crit 20/x3
[roll3]
[roll4]

2nd attack
[roll5]

Damage
[roll6] + [roll7] Punishing Stance

Crit 20/x3
[roll8]
[roll9]

Effects~

Safewing Emblem

Cavir
2017-01-07, 09:57 PM
Lora regretted not also targeting the living light. She thought perhaps if they left it alone it would focus on the bat creature. She was wrong. She couldn't try the slowing breath again just yet. Time to see how it deals with fire dancing with it. She breathes a blast of fire shooting through the light and hitting the wall far behind it.

Entangling Fire Breath (SU)
Damage: 3d6 fire in half, then Reflex DC16 to half that again. [roll0]
Any taking damage are then entangled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#entangled) and take 1d6 fire damage for [roll1] rounds.

- Haste
- Stance: Iron Guard’s Glare. Wisp is now an enemy again.
- Steely Resolve
- AC 21 (haste), 34/52hp, saves 10/3/7

2) Foehammer - Granted
4) Tactical Strike - Ready
5) Charging Minotaur - Ready

Next round's maneuver granted: [roll2]

Kelvin360
2017-01-10, 03:54 AM
Though he finds it quite unlikely the wisp will survive even its current predicament, Surtros can feel his summoned weapon buzzing anxiously in the air, and allows it a parting shot while he collects his energy to start doling out any necessary healing when it dies.

Round 4 - Spiritual weapon dissipates in 2 rounds.
Spells expended this combat: Conviction, Spiritual Weapon
Damage taken: None

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Phasm
2017-01-11, 02:27 AM
"Oh, this is just ridiculous! Hippogriff, attack the wisp!" Amiyah scowls at the escaped wisp, dainty fists clenched at her sides. She has no idea what it is or even if it has a mind, so Tasha's hideous laughter is out. The wizard isn't a very good shot, she probably can't hit it with lesser orb of cold, but maybe the spray damage from her ice knife will get the irritating thing. Of course, that means Connaught and Lora might get caught in it... eh, they're tough, they'll survive. That's why they have Surtros.

Another arcane incantation echoes through the hall as Amiyah raises her left hand. She flicks her wrist as if shaking water off, and a razor-edged shard of ice flies toward the wisp with a sound like cracking ice.

I really hope these are the last enemies in here, because the spell list is running low.

Ice knife attack: [roll0] (+2 Inspire Courage, +2/2 levels spell)

Damage if it hits: [roll1] cold + 2 Dex

10' burst damage if it misses: [roll2] cold

DrK
2017-01-13, 04:08 PM
The little rockling melts away into the floor looking around the massive city on the floor as it reaches through the buildings and walls to search for any interesting treasure or some such. Connaught however whirls around, angry with the wisp, balanced on the edge of a towering and terrfying rage before slashing left and right with massive swings of his axe.

Atk [roll0] damage [roll1]
Atk [roll2] damage [roll3]

Hps 44/44 AP: 5/6
Saves 8/3/5
Rage 1/1

Spells
Endure elements, conviction (+3 saves), inspire courage +2

Ghostfoot
2017-01-14, 03:36 AM
Tchinik stabs and thrusts at the buzzing wisp but can't hit it as it darts back and forth. Lora breathes a burst of flaming breath scorching it for 2 fire damage the flames clinging to it and hampering it. Surtros' summoned axe swings at it, but it too cannot hit the wisp even while it is entangled.

Amiyah casts her spell and the shard if ice flies at the wisp, thankfully her aim is better and it strikes true, the burst of icy shards inflicting 6 cold damage and slowing it somewhat. Connaught swings left and right, one mighty chop missing the zipping orb and sending shattered pieces of model city flying but the other hitting for 13 damage sending it spinning and reeling.

With an angry buzzing the thing disappears from sight, the only clue a faint trail of smoke darting through the southern doorway and a faint light emanating back, the invisible wisp clearly still struggling with the effects of Lora's clinging flames!

wisp vs entangling breath Ref DC16 (1d20+12)[30] Save => 2 damage & entangled

hippogriff vs wisp
claw (1d20+12)[16] damage (1d4+8)[12] Miss
claw (1d20+12)[22] damage (1d4+8)[10] Miss
bite (1d20+7)[14] damage (1d4+6)[10] Miss

wisp has fled but still burning for 2 rounds

=> Party

DrK
2017-01-14, 05:34 AM
Connaught spits after it as it flees, grinning at his companions. "A good little brawl eh? And we've found a lost city!" he laughs to himself as he strides over the model city.

Before nodding to the elemental, content to let it search the city behind the rocky surface. "What are these beasts?" he asks, punctuating it with a savage kick.

razorback
2017-01-14, 03:40 PM
As the creature flies off, Tchink ends his chant. "Aye" he says hoarsely to Connaught's comment. Taking his pack off, he pulls out a skin takes a swing of water, swishing it about before swallowing, followed by a couple of more drinks. Capping his waterskin, he stows it before putting his pack on.
"Well, like you said, we have a map. Looks like the toy of some over-privileged child or some mad king."

Ghostfoot, can I roll a skill or bardic knowledge to figure out if this was a common practice on the mainland or if there was anyone who specialized in such models?

Phasm
2017-01-15, 01:42 AM
Amiyah peers down the hallway where the wisp vanished. "Um... are we going to follow that thing and finish it off? It might come back."

DrK
2017-01-15, 02:09 AM
Connaught looks around and shrugs. "I'll keep an eye out little mage. But this map and room look impressive, could we check for loot?"

He does move to the edge of the corridor and have a quick peek to where the Wisp vanished to see what's down the next corridor.

Ghostfoot
2017-01-15, 04:32 AM
Urol pulls out a sketch book and gets to work, busily capturing images of the models and buildings that adorn the floor. His pace is frenetic and soon a sheaf of drawings are stuffed under his arm as he continues unabated.

Tchinik observes the gnome and takes a closer look at the design of the model. The carvings and adornments certainly don't conform to what he would expect from the local Chultan inhabitants. Travellers from Amn speak of a new land discovered far far to the the west beyond the Trackless Sea called Maztica. Tales abound of cities constructed of vast pyramids and ziggurats much like what you see modeled before you (and ruined about you). It's possible that this place is an ancient outlying settlement from that civilization. Perhaps they traveled this far, long ago? As to the purpose of the room and the model, he can't be sure.

Connaught takes a look through the doorway to the south. He spies another chamber dominated by a huge circular disk of stone on the floor of the chamber. It's face is carved with dozens of concentric rings of heiroglyphs and shapes. A filthy makeshift pallet of rubble and fist-sized spider husks sits atop it. There is no sign of the wisp, the smoky trail having extinguished.

An archway leads into a final room beyond this, the archway flanking by twin statues of men wearing strange ancient armour and towering headresses fashioned from coiled snakes and bat wings. The room beyond is circular and contains dozens of niches each with a desiccated body resting within it. A yawning shaft descends into the floor of this room but he can't make out anything further from where he is.

Your attention is drawn back to the little rock elemental as it re-emerges from it's foray through the earth. It points to a large pyramid building in the center of the model city and in it's gravelly voice speaks in Terran "Shiny gold".

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q710/Ghostfoot/Tamoachan%2015_zps1gucnug1.png

razorback
2017-01-15, 10:03 AM
Walking up to Urol, he puts a hand on his shoulder.
"Fascinating, is it not? I'm not exactly familiar of this but it sounds of a long told tale, spoke by sailors, of the lost land of Maztica. Sailors always have their tales of huge sea creatures, beautiful nymphs and far off lands brimming with treasure, so most discount them, but they are fascinating to listen to. Now, looking at this room, it would seem that maybe some of these fables are not as fantastic as they seemed, eh?"

Kelvin360
2017-01-15, 03:49 PM
"Is there a need to immediately trip the fourth trap in a row by following it so quickly?" Surtros inquires in *that* ambiguously unrhetorical tone. He flips out a wand and applies its tip to Lora's wounds so as to erase some of the mystic scorch marks. "Furthermore, did anyone else finds it peculiar that the wisp attacked all of us, including our second opponent? Clearly it's a part of this place, which made the other creature...a member of an ongoing hostile takeover?"

Phasm
2017-01-16, 01:50 AM
"That was my thought as well, Surtros." Amiyah keeps an uneasy eye on the corridor where the wisp disappeared. "Clearly someone has been here before us, someone with the magical power to bind that fiend here and raise a wall of iron." She frowns slightly, toying with her crystal pendant. "Or perhaps there were two previous parties. One to bind the fiend, one who ran afoul of the fiend and imprisoned it with the wall."

Cavir
2017-01-16, 09:58 PM
The healing form Surtros' wand was quite helpful. She nods with a smile. "Thank you... Maybe the wisp was offended by my threat against it if it attacked one of us. Connaught, can you speak it's language or just understand it?"

She activates the healing energy of her belt as she walks towards the door to the south. The elemental emerges and speaks, but Lora doesn't know the language. "What did it say?"

Pre-belt: 42/52 hp
Healing, 1 charge, [roll0]

DrK
2017-01-19, 04:30 PM
Connaught grins as he walks towards where the elemental had pointed. "It said there was gold my friends. We'll be rich after slaying the demon." Nodding to the others he walks over to where the elemntal had pointed and starts searching around for anything obvious that can be opened, smashed or prised apart.

Sadly a paltry 20 on my take 20...

Ghostfoot
2017-01-19, 09:02 PM
With a short perusal guided by the small elemental Connaught determines that the central pyramid structure indicated does indeed appear to be hollow. After much grunting and cursing he manages to find the angle on which the top part might slide free if sufficient pressure were applied.

DC20 Search does the trick :smallsmile:

Cavir
2017-01-19, 09:11 PM
"More than just a pretty scene?" Lora activates her Magic Insight and looks around, starting with the pyramid in case of a magic trap.

Ghostfoot
2017-01-21, 05:24 AM
Lora concentrates her magic insight on the pyramid. From within she can detect a single faint aura of magic. Scanning the rest of the room she is drawn to the broken corpse of the varrangoin lying nearby. An unidentified aura emanates from its mouth, coming from a strange tooth embedded in its jaws. The tooth looks to be fashioned from an arrowhead with a strange glyph inscribed in it and has been inserted in the space where one of its normal fangs would have been.

As she looks closer a final exhalation issues from the broken creature. It's body pulses and cracks, no longer able to contain the energies within now that the creature has finally expired. With a sickening pulse there is a burst of hellish red flame as it explodes in a ball of fiery gore searing all nearby!

20ft burst of fire damage
[roll0] fire damage, DC13 Ref for half

Everyone has a 50% chance of being nearby (1 is hit, 2 missed)
Lora [roll1]
Connaught [roll2]
Rocky [roll3]
Amiyah (& Khalil?) [roll4]
Tchinik [roll5]
Surtros [roll6]
Urol [roll7]

All fire damage reduced by 5 for Lora's resist aura.

Wiping burning goo from you, you note that the magical tooth is still there affixed to the sizzling skeleton of the (now very dead) varrangoin.

razorback
2017-01-21, 12:55 PM
As the body erupts, Tchinik looks surprised as he rushes over to his friends.
"Have you figured out a way to make the fallen into a weapon or is this something the creature produced when fallen? If so, if we run into another, we need to heed this. Who is hurt?"

Kelvin360
2017-01-21, 06:22 PM
Riding on Lora's coattails through the whole room as he is, Surtros has the misfortune to be almost right in front of the blast...but also the small fortune to accidentally use the singed dractoran as cover, evading the worst of it. As with most twists of fate, he isn't quite sure how to feel about that.

Cavir
2017-01-21, 09:21 PM
Energy starting pouring out of the dead batlike creature. Lora had the wits to duck and use her shield to shift the body so that the biggest cracks pointed away from her. Fortunately this was enough to save the dragonborn from getting hit by the full blast. Only her leg got a little singed from the energy that leaked past the shield. Looking behind her, she noticed Surtros had been right behind and thus benefiting from her move too. She gives him a toothy smile and chuckles. "That could have been a bit worse. Yes, next time we'll have to plan on that."

Lora rescans the skeletal remains and finds the magical tooth. She rips it out and studies it closer. "There's magic in the pyramid too, careful."

I'll expend Magic Insight to ID the arrowhead then restart the power and head towards the pyramid.

Ghostfoot
2017-01-21, 09:47 PM
Examining the tooth once more, Lora concentrates on its aura and the powers it exudes. It is one of the fabled teeth of Dahlver-Nar, this particular one binding powers of Savnok through strange pact magic!

Tooth of Dahlver-Nar (Savnok): Tome of Magic pg 77.

Replace one of your teeth with this item (1hp damage). After 24 hours you get the benefits & side effects of the item. Benefit: Move at normal speed in any armour or with any load. Fall under the influence of Savnok...:smallbiggrin:

Amiyah knowledge Arcana [roll0] Fail. Nothing more known

Cavir
2017-01-21, 11:39 PM
Lora describes her insight on the arrow tooth. "As much as flying with heavy armor would be useful, it is at a price I will not pay. Who wants it?" She'll give it to whoever wants it.

She moves over to the pyramid to investigate the magic there.

DrK
2017-01-22, 03:40 AM
Connaught looks in surprise as the creature's body explodes. Then back to the pyramid. Grinning at the tooth he looks back at the others, "Let's see what we have in here eh? I'll see about prising this lid off".

Getting his blade ready he seeks a crack that will allow him to wedge the lid off the pyramid to reveal the goodies within.

Search take 20
Str check [roll0]

Ghostfoot
2017-01-22, 04:21 AM
The top section of the pyramid slides to one side. Inside is a mummified corpse bound with ceremonial cords. With its crumbling headress it seems some sort of priest or religious individual. Draped about its withered neck is a striking ceremonial golden necklace carved into intertwining shapes of bat and lizard. The body rests in a sea of thousands of ancient golden coins unfortunately the whole interior choked with disgusting foul mold tendrils that immediately burst clouds of vile choking fungoid spores all about!

20ft burst of spores
Mummy rot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#mummyRot), DC16 Fort to resist

Once again, everyone has a 50% chance of being nearby (1 is hit, 2 missed)
Lora [roll0]
Connaught 1
Amiyah (& Khalil?) [roll1]
Tchinik [roll2]
Surtros [roll3]
Urol [roll4]

razorback
2017-01-22, 09:16 AM
As Connaught starts to pry the lid off of the pyramid, Tchinik's curiosity get the better of him as he saunters over to get a look.
"A bet to see if..." is all he gets out as a cloud erupts from the pyramid. Turning and covering his mouth, a takes a few steps before clearing his nose and spitting whatever saliva was in his mouth.
"Dask! I'm going to have the taste of wyvern dung in my mouth for a week!"

Kelvin360
2017-01-22, 06:09 PM
Considering how everyone has been blundering into every possible trap since the minute they stepped into the dungeon, Surtros catches sight of the sarcophagus and follows the instinct to immediately raise his shield, crouching behind it with a 'this again?' look on his face as Connaught spills disease spores all over everything. "If that catches anyone we'd best hope it's not instantly lethal, because I didn't pray to have a removal available today."

Phasm
2017-01-24, 01:16 AM
After the fiend's fiery explosion, Amiyah and her parrot are prudently staying well back of the pyramid. FWUMP! The wizard immediately spins around and covers her face with the fabric of her voluminous sleeve, fishing in her pack for a veil. (Hey, just because she doesn't have to wear it anymore doesn't mean that it can't be useful.) Tying the thin silk over her lower face, Amiyah turns back around.

"Is that a mummy in there?" She takes a cautious step forward, standing up on her tiptoes to see better. "It is! Oh gods, what if that was mummy rot, or some kind of deadly mold? Here, just a minute, I have a couple more veils and a scarf or two. If you have gloves, put them on before touching anything in there!" Amiyah rummages in her pack again. Mystra bless the wizard who invented bags of holding, she does not miss the days when she couldn't carry changes of clothing due to the weight.

Ghostfoot
2017-01-28, 02:02 PM
The billowing cloud of dust and spores settles, thankfully none showing signs of being overcome by the ancient disease and transforming into a horrid mummy lord!

Looking again at the contents of the elaborate sarcophagus Lora quickly establishes that the golden necklace of bats and lizards is magical, and that the cavity is otherwise laden with solid gold coins!

the necklace is a strand of prayer beads (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#strandofPrayerBeads) with a single bead of blessing - wearer can cast bless 1/day
7,000gp :smallbiggrin:

Cavir
2017-01-28, 08:16 PM
Lora breathes a small puff of flame to kill off any remaining spores. After handling the necklace, she hands it to Surtros and smiles. "A prayer bead of blessing. Yet another way you can help us all."

She then turns to Connaught and offers the arrow tooth. "This seems to be your area of specialty."

Looking at the large pile of gold. "A pile to be loved by any dragon. Who has a magical bag that can carry all that?" She'll tirelessly help load the gold.

Phasm
2017-01-30, 12:10 AM
"I do!" Amiyah (still veiled, she's not taking any chances) swings her pack off her back and takes out a large bag. "Extradimensional storage space, the adventuring wizard's best friend."

Kelvin360
2017-01-30, 10:41 PM
Some damned form of curiosity catches Surtros in its grasp and against his better judgment he shuffled forward to get a better look at the contents of the sarcophagus. When he does, he lets out a pained, somewhat hysterical laugh and crouches, leaning on his shield for support. "Oh, no, we're just looting a mummified priest from an ancient, hostile civilization. Only good can come of this."

Then Lora offers him the bead and he stares at it for a good while before taking it with a sigh. "I...fine, just...allow me a moment to perform the usual rites. Guidance, fancy, beggingforforgiveness, cancelling out the no-doubt numerous curses, and so on." He doesn't know who this ex-person worshipped in life, but requesting not to be smote for one's heresy is something that transcends most cultural boundaries. Requesting a burst of speed from Tymora in the event it rises from the grave to attack is just a bonus.

razorback
2017-01-31, 11:41 AM
Tchinik looks on for a moment before dusting himself off.
"Maybe a little less haste in these situations?" he says with a grin once he realizes everyone is ok.
"Ok, now we have a fancy bead. Ready to keep going?"

DrK
2017-02-01, 04:43 PM
Connaught grins, blowing the toxic dust out of his beard. "A good day eh... Plenty of nice trinkets when we get back to civilisation." The axe in hand he looks about carefully, "That floating orb of lightning flew away that way and that's the only way to go. Come on, lets head that way."

Cavir
2017-02-01, 05:02 PM
Loradralsornux is amused by Surtros' hesitation and smiles. "Yes, good did come of it. Magic and gold, in this case. Bahamut and Tymora have big plans for us. No worries."

She heads to the next room with Connaught, activating her magic insight to scan the next room.

razorback
2017-02-01, 06:16 PM
Tchinik gives Lora a very dry look with an arched eyebrow.
"Well, that maybe be all sunshine and daisies for the two of you, but what of us who choose to follow another path?" he says with a very serious look on his face before his face cracks into a crooked grin and a smile. "I imagine Oghma has plans for me, too, otherwise I might have not lived this long. That, and trusty friends to share the burden and luck. And booty."
Still smiling, he looks around. "Do you think this end of this path or do you suspect that there is a hidden chamber or passage about?" he says to no one in particular.

Phasm
2017-02-03, 01:58 AM
Amiyah puts the bag of holding back into her pack and swings it back onto her shoulders. She frowns as Connaught blows dust out of his beard; that can't be healthy. "We should make sure to wash both ourselves and our clothes before boarding the ship again, just in case that mummy dust turns out to be toxic or carrying disease." With that she turns to investigate the next corridor. "Just a moment, you two, let me check for traps first."

Ghostfoot
2017-02-04, 05:10 AM
Amiyah moves into the next room with Connaught & Lora, the others following. She searches the area around the varrangoin nest but finds nothing of concern, and nor does Lora when she scans for magic. The statues flanking the archway to the final room do bear some faint old carvings that indicate an ancient magical wall of iron trap, but the mechanism has been triggered and the wall obviously conjured in the previous area where you found it.

The only evident way forward is through the archway and into the room with the niches, ancient corpses and the yawning shaft...

Cavir
2017-02-08, 11:06 PM
Lora chuckles and smiles with Tchinik's chiding. She scans the next room while Amiyah searches. "Now this looks like a trap but the only thing I can see is a triggered trap for the wall we smashed back there. It's tight quarters in here. If something attacks us, fall back to the last room to maximize our power."

The dragonborn pauses to look at the decorated circular stone in the floor. Seeing the nest and figuring it was thus safe, she steps onto it and uses her morningstar to pick through the nest, looking for anything of interest.

"Those were pretty good size spiders. Nothing some flames can't handle if we come across more of them though."

Kelvin360
2017-02-12, 07:13 AM
Surtros gives the trap a suspicious glare. "Not to play the role of nag again, but I'm somewhat troubled by the idea that someone made it far enough to set this off, yet the treasure you just procured was still safe in its place. Are we on the trail of an ascetic archeologist?"

razorback
2017-02-12, 12:04 PM
"Not to eager to see the spiders who made these, to be honest. Never been a fan of those bugs." Tchinik says with a shudder. "Not a nag, good Surtros, but a proper question. Could have been the spiders that set it off, though I see no carcass. Or, the spiders could have made off with the intrepid explorer." He gives another, smaller, shudder before continuing. "Either way, let us proceed with caution. Looks like we have that way to go, unless we want to continue digging around here."

Phasm
2017-02-13, 02:08 AM
"Perhaps the explorer simply didn't look hard enough to find the treasure, or they were only after a specific item." Amiyah frowns behind her veil. "Caution sounds like an excellent plan, though. There's no telling what might lie ahead."

DrK
2017-02-13, 07:29 PM
Connaught looks at the dark passage and shakes his head. "It smells like a trap. Give my rocky friend here a torch and he shall lead the way. He can feel no pain and even if he is destroyed will merely return to the rock from where he was hewn." Connaught waits for the elemental to get a torch then will let the elemental lead the way by a good 10ft or so.

Ghostfoot
2017-02-15, 03:38 PM
Lora sifts through the foul varrangoin nest but finds nothing of interest. The earth elemental moves forward into the final chamber, passing unobstructed between the statues and archway and pausing next to the shaft.

The rest of the party moves forward, similarly unimpeded as they join the little elemental. The shaft drops down into darkness, it's base out of sight far below. A few fist-sized spiders lurk about the walls of the shaft and you can smell a cold dank odor from below.

Niches containing ancient mummified bodies line the walls of the room and also the shaft as it drops away. There must be hundreds of them. Cradled in the arms of one of the uppermost corpses in the shaft you can see a glittering golden statuette carved to resemble a bat.

razorback
2017-02-15, 10:21 PM
Tchinik looks at the golden bat creature, giving it a sideways glance.
"Does that just scream 'Touch me, I'm not cursed' to anyone else?" he gives a little shake of his head as sighs. "Can anyone divine whether the statue radiates magic?"

Kelvin360
2017-02-15, 10:50 PM
Surtros snickers. "Oh, that might be cursed but the prayer beads weren't? I have a coin we can flip next time we want to do the cursed ancient items dance. Lora should be able to tell whether it's magic...but not necessarily whether the magic is hostile. On the bright side, if it contains a hex of the nonpermanent variety, I have a spell that can offer a second chance to whomsoever wishes to..." he suppresses the appropriately ironic cackling. "Test their luck."

DrK
2017-02-16, 02:40 AM
Connaught looks about in wonder, "That's a big gold statue eh? How dobwe grab it!" looking at Lora he nods, "Any chance you can fly and get it, we can tie a rope to you if anything bad should happen? "

Cavir
2017-02-16, 09:20 AM
Lora looks over the edge with her 60' darkvision and magic insight. "Yes, I can fly down there. The elemental could just move vertically along the rock and grab it, no? That would also let us see the reaction of the spiders too." She pulls out a silver piece. "Would someone cast Light on this? We'll drop it down and see what happens before we try it ourselves."

Phasm
2017-02-17, 02:07 AM
"I would, but I can only maintain one light spell at a time." Amiyah taps her headband, currently radiating a greenish light. "Surtros, do you have the light spell prepared?"

DrK
2017-02-17, 05:12 AM
Lora looks over the edge with her 60' darkvision and magic insight. "Yes, I can fly down there. The elemental could just move vertically along the rock and grab it, no? That would also let us see the reaction of the spiders too." She pulls out a silver piece. "Would someone cast Light on this? We'll drop it down and see what happens before we try it ourselves."

Connaught grins at the dragon born, "Aye, that's true. My rocky friend, go fetch the giant gold statue. Wrap this rope around it so it don't drop into darkness." .
He ties a nose in the silk rope, hammers a piton into the path by his foot and gestures the rocky beast to go and slide through the walls to fetch the gold.

Kelvin360
2017-02-17, 11:38 AM
The priest shakes his head and rummages around for a copper instead, not one to use ten times the resources necessary. He's mostly silent save for the incantation that fills their immediate area with a golden glow, and doesn't wait to loose the coin into the abyss.

razorback
2017-02-21, 09:58 AM
Tchinik peers at the statue for a bit before backing up.
"I'll keep an eye back here, make sure nothing sneaks up on us. Don't be getting any curse, ok?"

Ghostfoot
2017-02-22, 04:54 AM
Surtros casts the softly glowing copper into the shaft. It plummets down for a second or two before splish landing in the water at the bottom of the well 80 feet or so below. You can dimly make out the reflecting light of the coin twinkling in the water far below.

The little earth creature sinks into the flagstones at Connaught's bidding, soon after it's torso appearing from the shaft near the niche containing the golden statuette. It reaches out and grabs the dangling rope, tying it (hopefully) securely around the valuable item before disappearing and travelling back up to his master.

With a few short tugs the glittering items breaks free from the rigid bony hands of the corpse and is swiftly hauled up to the waiting party. It is a fantastic treasure, it's lean and angular craftsmanship a striking depiction of a stylized bat. Rubies glitter in it's eyes and tiny slivers of pearl are affixed for teeth and fangs. Lora assesses the item for magic to see if anything else can be gleaned.

All fail
The bat statuette radiates a faint transmutation aura. On detailed study it appears to be some sort of key. That's all...

There doesn't seem to be anywhere further to proceed here.

Cavir
2017-02-22, 12:11 PM
Lora handles the statuette some more. "Hmm. It is magical, some sort of key with faint transmutation, but I can't get more of read on it. Let's find what it unlocks. Look around here some more? Have the elemental check the bottom of the shaft? Was there something in the big statue in the other tunnel that this would fit into? "

razorback
2017-02-22, 12:33 PM
"Maybe he can dig around a bit? Perhaps a hidden room behind one of these walls or a collapsed area?" the Mulani offers as he shifts his stance a bit but keeping a tight grip on his spear.

Phasm
2017-02-23, 02:14 AM
"Very possible, Tchinik. The gods know this place is old enough to have places cut off by collapsed walls or ceilings." For lack of anything better to do Amiyah starts examining the room around them, looking for hidden doors or traps.

DrK
2017-02-23, 05:00 AM
Connaught hefts up the statue grinning at the massive jewelled thing. "Its a good find eh? Aye, lest backtrack our steps slowly searching for something that'll fit this glittering monstrosity. Must be more." he looks at the little elemental and reaches into his bel pouch and tosses it a gold coin to nibble happily on. "Good lad eh... Have a look about through all the nearby walls eh. Looks for passages or holes or chambers." He pats it on its rocky head before watching it move out and then helping the others search for a key hole.

[roll0]

Kelvin360
2017-02-23, 09:43 AM
Though not the most perceptive man himself, Surtros has a few tricks up his sleeve. Amiyah finds herself noticing the oddest things, suddenly but temporarily hyperaware of the shifted and out of place.

Casting Divine Insight and then attempting Aid Another.

Divine Insight grants a +10 bonus to a skill check (in this case the Search check) and Aid Another offers another +2 if I roll 10 or higher.

[roll0]

Ghostfoot
2017-02-26, 04:57 AM
You spend the next few hours searching the ruins from top to bottom, while Urol busies himself sketching and taking samples of the bugs and lizards that he comes across. Despite extensive searching by the elemental and with the aid of magic you are unable to find anything else of interest - a few minor collapsed areas but nothing that the statuette seems to interact with.

Eventually the sun starts to dip low in the sky and shadows start to deepen in the jungle outside. It's time to make your way back to the ships before more basilisks rouse themselves from the ruins! The trip back to the Sea Wyvern and Blue Nixie is hot but uneventful and by the time you set foot on deck again you are exhausted and ready to relax. That evening you entertain the crew and passengers of both ships with tales of the fearsome creatures that you bested in the ancient ruined city of Tamoachan, and everyone listens in wonder at the tales of strange beasts and wondrous treasures. Urol pipes up now and then in his own odd way with comments about the growth of flora or the resilience of certain creatures - clearly he's excited to have been part of it despite his lack of interpersonal skills.

At the end of the evening Lavinia and the Jade Ravens return to the Blue Nixie as everyone retires to their bunks, ready to set sail tomorrow for the nearby Tabaxi village of Renkrue which lies just off the coast of the mainland on the isle of Axuxal. Here you plan to restock once more before setting course due south to the fabled island kingdom of Nimbral.

Cavir
2017-03-08, 10:42 PM
Dinner concludes and the dragonborn offers Bahamut's blessings (Endure Elements) to each who accept, including the crew, with encouragement for a job well done. As Lavinia and the others row back to the Blue Nixie Lora takes to the air and flies overhead, both to provide watch and to stretch her wings a bit. Coming back she circles around the ship then lands. Assured of watch being kept she calls it a night.

razorback
2017-03-08, 11:56 PM
Crap, I can't believe I missed you posting here, GF!

On the way back to the ship, everyone is a bit anxious to be back, Tchinik included. He has not interest in being the meal, or statue, of one of those creatures. He's jumpy the whole way back but noticeably relaxes when they spot the ships and practically sags once aboard, the weight lifted from him.
Once cleaned up and a quick towel bath to remove the sweat and grime, he makes his way back to eat with the others. While not particularly in the mood, the sleeping pallet calling to him, he does pipe in the tale of their adventures, giving each member of the group time to shine in the spotlight of the story, each a hero in their own right. As food is eaten and drinks drunk, he feels better and, after a short time, stands and bows to the others as they heckle him a bit for going to sleep so early.
"No, no... no grandchildren. At least, not yet." he says with a smile. "But, rest I need. I bid you all a good night and will see you bring and early." he makes his way back, removing the last of his armor and setting his spear and rapier nearby as he heads off to sleep.

DrK
2017-03-09, 01:01 AM
Connaught enjoys the evening of drink and entertainment, sitting by Lirtith and describing many many of his companions heroic actions. The actions getting more outrageous and exaggerated with every tankard of grog.

Before he passes out he sets up the golden altar in their living space so everyone can admire it before turning in.

How many days to the next village?

Kelvin360
2017-03-11, 01:59 PM
Try as he might, Surtros just can't seem to find sleep on that first night, instead taking to pacing the deck at odd intervals. Occasionally he stops and rolls a few die in an attempt to amuse himself (though whether he correctly predicted any results is anyone's guess). He might be seen checking in with Amiyah or Lora a few times before they depart belowdecks for the night, gathering information on what divine spells they might need for their projects over the trip. Every so often his keen ears might pick up a slightly annoyed or bemused grumbling over why he isn't praying for guidance like a reasonable priest at this hour.

"Well I know what the answer would be, for one: 'Figure it out yourself - what am I, your mother?' In all fairness, that would be my response as well. She has more important things to do than tell me what tomorrow's dinner will be."

Phasm
2017-03-12, 02:43 AM
Much as usual, Amiyah spends her time on the ship with her nose buried in a book, talking about the fey with Skald ("How can I tell whether or not a creature is likely to be susceptible to the laughter spell? It didn't really work on that fiend..."), and sometimes attempting to be sociable with her comrades. She talks a little with Urol about strange and mysterious beasts, but finds his enthusiasm a bit wearing.

razorback
2017-03-22, 12:46 PM
As they idle along, carried by both surf and wind, Tchinik seeks out Urol.
After some small talk, he asks "So, what do you make of the area we investigated? The whole thing seemed... odd, to me."

Ghostfoot
2017-03-24, 04:35 AM
The evening passes without incident, everyone sleeping soundly after the boisterous festivities. The ships set sail hugging the southern coast of Chult for the next few days. Everyone is in high spirits with the tales and trinkets from the exploration of Tamoachan fresh in your minds. Urol is content to pore over his specimens and sketches, while Lirith is constantly asking for blow by blow re-enactments of the battles. At Tchinik's questioning Urol responds "Odd? Nay, young 'un. The ruins of Tamoachan are simply a monument to a time of greatness that has since passed. We were fortunate to visit and see what evidence remained of the people of yesterday. A unique culture. And besides, look at all of these beetles I found! Why it will be ten times as exciting when we get to the Isle of Dread!"

Eventually the ships peel away south from the coast and cross a small channel to the island of Axuxal. The village of Renkrue sits at its eastern end, and you see the straw huts and a few wooden structures as you enter the small harbour. As the Blue Nixie and the Sea Wyvern anchor Lavinia speaks to you "We will stay here overnight while we trade some supplies and restock. It is a sleepy village, safe enough. Then we will head south across the open ocean. Our only stop between here and the Isle of Dread will be at the island kingdom of Nimbral."

You can do any minor trading here at Renkrue to the value of 200gp per item.

razorback
2017-03-24, 04:13 PM
Tchinik smiles politely at the beetle comment. "Well, after meeting a creature who can turn you to stone, I don't know how I feel about being ten times as excited."
Although he thinks that the conversation has run it's course, Tchinik continues to talk to Urol about this and that, indulging him in his beetle fascination.

Later, as the outlook spots the village, Tchinik gears up for town, though he doesn't really know of anything he needs. Once Lavinia has spoken, he looks around at the others.
"I don't think I need anything, but looking around can't hurt. Besides, not knowing when we will be on land again makes me want to makes sure I spend some time on it when the chance approaches. I'll join anyone going, if for nothing more than company."

Cavir
2017-03-27, 09:59 PM
Lora is interested in the tales the Urol has heard about the Isle of Dread but figures that can wait until they were closer. As the ship approaches the harbour she climbs the main mast to the top. She of course wanted to fly but wanted something, anything, of exercise to make up for being on the ship so long. Hanging onto the rigging she looked out across their destination. She started with the small village then took in the surrounding area from her perch, taking in the details and hoping to see something of interest. She had plenty of time to observe, sailing time was much slower than fighting time. She longed for a battle where she and her allies could conquer Bahamut's enemies.

Once the ship docked, the dragonborn leapt from her perch and glided, enjoying the freedom of the air. She passed over the Blue Nixie then circled seaward back toward the Sea Wyvern then landed on the dock as the others from the party disembarked.

"Any ideas on what to do til we sail again? If anyone wants to spar on the beach that would be fun."

Nothing to buy except some fresh rations as reserve.
If she saw anything from high up (Spot @ +14) she will bring that up before the above question.

DrK
2017-03-28, 02:49 PM
Happy to see the shore the barbarian wades ashore waving a hand to invite his woman aboard ship to join him. Looking about he heads to the nearest inn or bar for some drinks and telling of tales and buying a couple of barrels of what passes for the islands beer of choice. Striding into the bar he bellows a loud "Barkeep. Ale, for me and my friends. And any that want to hear tales of adventure and daring" a gold coin flickers as he throws a pair of them to the barman "Let me tell of you the things we have seen and the beasts we have slain!" If there are some takers he'll launch into a loud and bombastic story telling of some of their adventures to date - mainly focusing on the adventures of his companions and down playing his own role in things.

Buying some beer and that's about it I think

Back on track - if I go Astaroth would anyone like an item crafted? With our limited gold reserves it may have to be small and cheap items.

Ghostfoot
2017-03-29, 05:18 AM
The Chultan village is enjoyable enough. The people are very welcoming and eager to hear your stories of bravery and adventure. They are used to a variety of cultures passing through and are quite worldly - given their location many ships that round the peninsula stop here to resupply. The local fermented drink is not that bad after a few and mixed with sweet juices, and the villagers entertain with song and dance that draws everyone in to interact.

The stop is peaceful, and would be totally uneventful if it wasn't for an angry mob over villagers waving machetes and chasing a half-naked Indo Ishivin through the hard mud streets toward the gangplank in the early morning. Despite any private wishes you may have the scoundrel manages to outrun his pursuers and dashes on board as you are preparing to depart. The villagers halt at the wharf, shouting insults and waving weaponry but otherwise content to taunt. "What? I simply offered to purchase one of the chieftain's daughters to accompany me for the boat ride. A bargain! Ungrateful cretins!". Captain Amella glowers at the indignant man but he is oblivious and shuffles off in a self-obsessed huff.

Once all is checked and secured the ships set sail for the long journey southwest to Nimbral.

The next three weeks are uneventful. The ships set sail away from the Chultan Peninsula into open waters. Strong currents challenge the helmsmen and the crew show their worth as able sailors. With little else to do you talk to the other passengers, relax and assist from time-to-time as you are able.

After the rolling monotony of the weeks at sea it is exciting when at last you hear Tavey the cabin boy cry out "Land a-ho!". Rising in the distance is the the Land of the Flying Hunt, the Sea Haven of Nimbral. The island nation does not disappoint with its naming as when your ships get closer a small group of flying creatures start to become visible, flying out to investigate your vessels. As they approach you see they are mighty winged pegasi, graceful white winged horses. Atop each pegasi is a splendid knight wearing incredible spired and fluted plate armour fashioned from rainbow-hued glass. The wondrous group circles the ships several times evidently making sure that you do not pose an immediate threat. Eventually they depart, flying in formation lances held high.

Your ships continue to close in on the islands and you see the small port city of Rauthaven rising up the terraced cliffs from the warehouses and fishing boats below.

Kelvin360
2017-03-29, 08:28 AM
Unsubstantiated rumors begin to circulate the ship that an unnamed someone apparently found an unscrupulous fellow willing to purchase Indo at a 'bargain' as well, funnily enough. Not that anyone knows whether the deal went though - one more thing to keep the boy on his toes.

Surtros turns down Lora's offer of outright sparring (both know full well how that one would turn out) but he does manage to procure several stacks of clay plates to use as target practice for her breath weapon. Keeping her aim sharp and all that. In between throws he would occasionally position himself 'in the way' to make it more difficult. He doesn't seem to mind a singe or three, faith in her abilities or her flame-resistant aura keeping him from flinching. As always, there's time afterwards for a quiet moment laying against the beach, listening to lapping waves and pointing out drifting stars.

===

Though conspicuously quiet for a while, the priest is one of the first to voice what he assumes is the first thing on everyone's mind after their impromptu inspection.

"No, don't worry, it's not just you. Speaking as someone from a merchant family even I thought that was ostentatious. I imagine Indo would agree with me, but the view is so poor from up his rear end he most likely didn't even see them, poor fellow."

razorback
2017-03-29, 03:21 PM
Tchinik spends most of his time as they leave village trying to keep people's spirits from flagging, giving them rhymes upon the open ocean. He spends more time trying, when not entertaining, with Urol, gaining what knowledge he can gleen from him.

Once landfall, is called out, he pats Urol on the shoulder as he says stands erect, back cracking audibly. "Come. A new sight to see, otherwise that lad wouldn't be sounding like a gaggle of geese." with that he makes his way above deck, feeling stiff but the site of land, and then the fantastic flying creatures, puts a smile on his face.
"Ah, I feel as if I could jump into the ocean and swim the rest of the way there." he says to no one in particular.
As Rauthaven comes into view, he smiles even larger. "I hope they have more than hard tack and fish to serve. My pallet could use a big, red steak fresh from the slaughter. Any more of these sea rations and I would go mad, I think."

Cavir
2017-03-30, 11:17 PM
Loradralsornux

It was a relief to spend time off the ships at Renkrue. Practice time with Surtros wasn't quite what she was hoping for but she was still happy for it. She was sure Surtros was better with weapons than her but she failed in convincing him of that. The blasts of fire and ice attracted some of the locals, particularly the younger folk. Knowing he was protected from her flames she ended their session with a full on blast of fire at Surtros, burning away the seaweed on the beach but leaving the cleric unharmed. She waved an open hand towards Surtros then with a smile took to the air, giving him the full adulation of the impromptu audience.

Flying over the island village was wonderful. She wished her mentor Carizdolak could see what Lora had become thanks to her years of mentoring. Maybe some day she could make it back there for a visit. More so she desired her wings developing more so she could fly as much as she wanted and to find some spawn of Tiamat to battle. She knew her wings would come in time with practice. As to spawn, she had assumed much more battle and perhaps even death by now when she began the ritual of transformation. She had found a strong band of allies to fight with no matter what Evil they found. She had full faith in her Father though she was still curious what plans were for her. The ship's stops were primarily places of peace. Maybe that was the lesson- that there is plenty of Good out there worth fighting for. She nodded to herself then descended to join the others for dinner.

Lora was already on board helping the crew prep the ship when the mob came chasing Indo. He made it on board and survived the captain's glare, but just before heading inside the dragonborn lands between him and the doorway. She keeps her wings spread wide, towering over him even without the expanse of wings. She glares at him up close with her dragonborn toothy face. "You realize if you ever want to return home these people will great you the same way you left them? When we reach our final destination how do you expect to survive a week if there isn't a single soul that doesn't despise you? The only thing you have is your name and your money. Your name means nothing there besides making you a target. Every brigand there will want to slash your throat and take all that gold. And that will be the end of Indo Ishivin, known only for being the biggest Ishivin failure ever. If you want to avoid that you need to make yourself tolerable. I suggest you start by giving some respect to people on board this ship. You never know when some might decide to trade you off to some pirates if they hate you so. Think long and hard what you can do to change their minds before that situation comes to be." She glares at him for a bit more, trying to figure him out. Raptoran culture would never allow one to reach adulthood with that level of selfishness. She folded her wings, turned, then went back to helping the crew set sail.

Tavey's cry of "Land a-ho!" got Lora excited for at least a temporary end to being ship bound. She flew up to the top of the mast and held on to the rigging as was normal for her. With her draconic eyesight she is probably the first to pick out the pegasi and riders. She stood tall with wings spread wide in greeting as they circled. She did not take to the air so as to not cause concern. The patrol circled then headed back. She watched them fly off and noticed where they went to. She nodded and smiled to herself. "Another place for Good." Lora then glided back down to the deck to help prepare for reaching land.

DrK
2017-04-01, 11:02 AM
Connaught

The barbarian stares darkly at Indo, avoiding the noble as much as possible. A passing threat to feed him to the sea weighed down with an anchor a loudly spoken threat.

The three weeks with Lora are pkeseantvaa he realises he is growing more and more attached to the young noble women. One evening he looks carefully at her - "Why have you come on this trip. Really? I know it's better with you but it grows more dangerous...."

-------

At the "land ho" he runs on deck to see the flying horses. A grin "Valkyries! By the gods, they are magnificent. How hard would it be to train one do you think?"

Ghostfoot
2017-04-18, 06:55 AM
The ships pull in to the docks and berth at the town of Rauthaven, the crew busy with their chores excited smiles on their faces. Lirith standing bold and proud next to Connaught, her red hair whipping in the wind, explaining confidently her plans to make a name for herself as an adventurer and hero fighting fearsome beasts across all lands.

You disembark, Lavinia advising that several days will be spent here before the next and most gruelling stage of the voyage across open seas to the southern isle. The slender dark-haired folk of the port city taverns are simple an pleasant enough, all heavily reliant on the sea for survival and full of many tales and superstitions as might be expected. More than a few of the city folk show signs of elvish heritage and both human and half-elf seem to get on with each other without any issue. Moving up through the terraced city the interior of the island stretches away beyond the city, fields and grasslands rolling gently away to the heavily forested interior.

You spot several more of the fantastical knights and majestic pegasi, but only from afar. It seems they don't mix much with the common city populace and aren't responsible for policing internal civil and criminal conflicts but only external threats.

So a few days in Nimbral. You can do any crafting or purchasing you wish (run any expecnsive items past me).

Is there anything else that you wish to do before departing onward?]

razorback
2017-04-18, 08:59 AM
Tchinik spends the next few days in town, getting a feel for it and its people. While he has a good memory for stories and what not, he decides that it might not be enough and seeks out a business that can provide him what he needs. After some time spent searching and then haggling, he leaves with several vials of ink, some ink pens and a couple of empty journals to keep track of their journey.
Once the items are properly stowed, he sees if anyone wants to join him at the local drinking establishments. He goes to the owner and offers his services for free drinks for him and his companions, regaling the patrons with stories he has heard, most probably new to these seafaring folk. While the drinks are provided, he only drinks enough to keep his voice while performing.

Perform check
[roll0]

He tells the tales of the Dales, knowing the elven presence would appreciate the tale of beating back the drow incursions. He spends much time on the epic poems and, at the end, gives a bow, before joining his companions for some real drinking.
While slightly hungover the next day, he spends the next few days telling tales. The last night he even intertwines some of their own adventures into his poems, having begun crafting one of their adventures.

Kelvin360
2017-04-19, 09:28 PM
Surtros isn't idle either, though obviously in a much less spectacular fashion than the party's bard. While Tchinik is making his way up the social latter, the priest is making sure whispers are making their way to the right ears. They inform the spectators and important minds exactly who the man sailed into town with. With any luck, the same goodwill he's bartering into free mead and adoring crowds will begin to trickle its way throughout the party ladder. Although oddly enough, even after all that nobody seems to know who Indo is. Strange. Must have slipped his mind.

If he's not playing 'I know that guy', he's off plying certain folk with a professional drinking atmosphere and quiet, inquisitive conversation. He doesn't want the townsfolk answering his questions, but rather a more cynical sort. Therefore, it's fellow merchants he's chatting up, browsing wares, haggling prices, and asking about the local attractions. Reading between the lines, he's most interested not just in the frequency and safety of the local shipping routes, but the story behind those ostentatious knights. More importantly, how worrisome they should be for a stranger to local customs.

If there's time left after all that, he might try and seek out a relatively public gambling den (anything too underground might be dangerous for a newcomer). Somewhere people are always happy to see a priest of Tymora. Also somewhere folk are particularly chatty after attributing a large win to the presence of Lady Luck. Not that he'd be allowed to influence a game of chance. Not that he necessarily needs to TELL anyone that.

Furthermore, he's sure to keep a few lesser restorations on hand for a few nights. If he can pay Tchinik for his performances by alleviating those hangovers, it's really the least he can do.

Cavir
2017-04-21, 08:47 PM
Lora spends her time primarily staying with the group in the evening, especially with Tchinik's tavern tales. As the locals tell their tales she keeps an ear open to stories relating to their destination or of dragons, good or evil. If she hears of any she encourages more details to be told. If asked she gladly tells tales of her time with her dragon mentor before she joined the group, the DragonFall war, and her glorious father Bahamut. She asks if any had ever seen a Dragonborn before, hoping to learn about others of her kind.

The first morning she takes out the golden statuette they recovered and try again to identify what power it holds. If its secrets remain then she'll suggest to Surtros to find out how much it is worth.

Daytime she does take advantage of the beautiful tropical weather. She gets in her daily flying practice. Even though she is limited in flying through the course of a day, given the chance she'll interact with the pegasi flyers, celebrating the fight for Good. In the town she doesn't hide her Bahamut given abilities. In fact she cheerfully puts them on display to promote Bahamut and maybe even inspire one to become Dragonborn someday. She'll spar with anyone interested. Win or lose, all benefit.

Ghostfoot
2017-04-28, 04:09 PM
The next few days are enjoyable. Time is spent in the shops and taverns of the small port city, mixing with the locals and sharing tales of each others cultures. The local tongue is Halruaan but they all speak passing trade Common in a thick southern accent. The Nimbrese are simple folk and well entertained by Tchinik at his nightly sessions of storytelling. You even manage to wander/ fly outside Rauthaven for a time, visiting some of the nearby coastal villages and seeing from afar the delicate fairytale castles that the Knights of the Flying Hunt dwell in, dotted about the forests and countryside.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/e/ef/Nimbral.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110721221806

The other passengers come ashore as well, with Urol quickly off to explore the woods and fields about the town. He returns with sketches of deer and tales of wilder creatures such as owlbears found in the deep forest. Lirith and Skald also wander the town and countryside, separately. The warrior woman perusing the blacksmiths and searching for monstrous foes but frustrated by finding little to test her mettle. Indo has his servants bring his prize horse Thunderstrike out from the hold and canters about for a few hours before becoming bored, although thankfully this is at least some respite from his whining about the food, accents and smells in the town. Captain Amella and Lavinia spend much of their time refitting and resupplying the ships, while the Jade Ravens are often spotted at different taverns about town.

As time to depart draws near, Skald approaches Amiyah. "This is my place, for now". He explains his intention to remain on Nimbral for the time being and explore the place and people further as he contemplates the future. "Please do search me out if you are in these island lands again" he says warmly, his reserved manner threatening to crack.

With everything complete, anchors are raised and sails unfurled as the Blue Nixie and Sea Wyvern depart the island nation on the final stage of the journey across open sea to the Isle of Dread far to the south!

razorback
2017-04-29, 04:39 PM
As everyone is getting to depart, Tchink looks as shocked as anyone at Skalds decision to stay.
"Fare you well, friend. I admit..." he says as he looks longingly back at the city "that this city has a charm... a magic to it and I understand the appeal. I envy you my friend.
I hope our journey cross again." he then takes his leave after shaking hands, walking up to the ship with a mixed look on his face.

DrK
2017-04-30, 04:52 PM
Connaught

After spending so much time on Nimbral Connaught is sad to see to be leaving the small island and the sites and sounds and the flying pegasus knights. Connaught spending some time with Lirrith spends the rest drinking and brawling in equal measure before boarding the ship once more. The slight pang of sadness soon replaced by the thrill of the "new" as the Nixie cuts through the waves and Connaught paces the deck staring out at the blue ocean.

Kelvin360
2017-05-02, 11:24 AM
As it so happened, most of Surtros' efforts weren't for naught, as he managed to strike up a conversation with a materials merchant from 'out of town' who seemed more than willing to provide a sizable discount on the items he needed for a personal project. Some hours later, he visited Connaught and Tchinik in between rounds of drink and explained his plan - after that, the priest (and to a lesser extent, the barbarian) was quite scarce for the rest of their stay. When he finally stepped back aboard the ship, however, it was in a fresh, resplendent suit of gleaming full plate. The side-plates were modified with some added, decorative scale mail that was reminiscent of either a coat of gold coins or the blessing of a gold dragon, depending on your point of view. His left gauntlet now bore the holy symbol of his special coin, no longer on an amulet but inlaid into the magical steel. On the other, a softly pulsating blue crystal that seemed to lighten his step whenever he approached water.

His contributions weren't limited to his appearance, however, as Tchinik found out when they were underway. Finding him abovedecks, Surtros presented the bardic warrior with a sturdy box, along with a comment about appreciating his trust in the results. Soon enough, Tchinik would find that his old garb and shield had been enhanced beyond their already fine quality, and a few additionald etails had been added. Woven into the leather and chain links were various pictographs, apparently depicting moments from the adventures they'd had together - a cavern of diseased, a flaming cart ridden by an acrobat assassin, bullywugs falling under song and spell, all a hydra's heads being severed by a single cleaving axe, and a temple lit by a gleaming golden idol, among others. Most are either turned inward or relatively innocuous, so as to serve their purpose without making the bard look like a walking mural to anyone not watching closely.

Cavir
2017-05-06, 05:02 PM
Lora says her farewell to Skald. "Sorry to hear that. I doubt your archery skill will be tested much here. Best of luck and may Bahamut guide your way."

With the ships shoving off, the dragonborn gets a look at Surtros' crafting achievements. "Impressive!" Better prepared to face our enemies, and looking even more like the heroes we are!" She takes a closer look at Tchinik's new armor. She was amazed at the idea and efforts, while itching for the group to face new dangers to be worthy of adding to the armor.

The docks cleared, Lora takes to the skies, spiraling upward then landing on the top of the main mast. She gazes on the town from up high, then turns and looks out to the sea ahead of them.

Ghostfoot
2017-05-19, 03:16 PM
The two ships plow through the sea, the island kingdom of Nimbral fading into the distance to the north as the twin vessels forge their way southward. Before too long you are in open ocean all sight of land having faded away. All about is the vast expanse of blue green water punctuated only by your sister ship the Blue Nixie and a pod of curious porpoises that dart and dance about the hulls.

Life continues without incident for several days. Captain Amella runs a tight ship and the crew quickly fall back into their well-practised routines after their time ashore. Urol keeps largely to himself scrawling notes and sketching his latest collection of bugs and beetles from Nimbral. Indo too is hardly seen as he works his way through a fresh collection of wines purchased on the island. The rest of you help out or keep out of the way as you all head further and further south away from civilisation.

One evening as you share a meal you feel a discernible shift in the creaking rolling movement of the ship. Captain Amella pops her head in a short time later "Storm's coming. It's going to hit pretty hard. Best you find somewhere safe to wait it out." Crew rush about preparing for the coming chaos as the winds begin to whip about and the waves increase to small hills. The Sea Wyvern and the Blue Nixie move farther apart so as to avoid any chance of collision in the storm. The winds and seas intensify and for many hours you are tossed about, thankful only that the Blue Nixie seems sturdy and large enough to withstand complete disintegration. Shattering and curses from Indo indicates that his remaining wines are not so lucky and his horse whinnies in terror from it's place in the hold.

The next morning the worst has past. The skies are grey but the winds and waves are much calmer. Captain Amella stands next to the helmsman taking bearings. "We're still on course" she states matter-of-factly. It's only then that you gaze about and notice that the Blue Nixie is nowhere to be seen.

Kelvin360
2017-05-21, 08:31 PM
Though multitalented for a merchant, Surtros discerns he is better served out of the way than trying to help steer the ship through the storm. Throughout the worst of it, her prays fervently for Tymora to guide them to safer waters, and when the wind and rain began to die down, he was almost certain his prayers had been answered.

Until he noticed something...out of place.

"It's always something. Captain, I might be able to give us a general course toward the Nixie with the proper prayers later tonight, assuming the ship is not warded from simple divinations. If it is, or it is too far away..." He doesn't finish the thought, not that he has to.

Cavir
2017-05-21, 09:22 PM
As the word gets out about the Blue Nixie, Lora quickly climbs the mast for the best view aboard the ship. With a crew mate already up there doing the same, she scans the horizon in all directions then takes to the air for the view from a different vantage. She gets some added height then glides a lot while scanning, trying to keep her wings from getting tired out quickly. She spirals outward around the ship, keeping it always in sight.

razorback
2017-05-22, 08:09 AM
Tchinik, unlike the others, doesn't fare the storm well. He spends part of it tied to a beam with a bucket near by, his face green, as the to and fro motion takes its toll on his last meal.
Once the storm subsides, he falls to his pallet and tries to sleep, body still in turmoil. Head pounding, he tries to keep as steady as possible as he hears a commotion above deck. As it gets louder, he realizes that he isn't going to be able to sleep it off and rises, a bit unsteadily at first, as he makes his way up just in time to see Lora take flight.
Getting a sense of what is going on, he shakes his head as he leans against the railing. "How long was the storm. I completely lost track of time." he asks no one in particular.

DrK
2017-05-26, 03:35 PM
Connaught

Connaught stands on deck after the storm has cleared. Salt crusted in his beard as the wind and waves had flogged him mercilessly. He wrapped his hands around the flask of rum and took a deep gulp, the liquid burning his throat. His hands were red raw and blistered from where he'd been pulling on the ropes and sails during the long night of the storm. Looking about he listen's the cry of the crow's nest. "Gods damn it. Waukeen's luck on them I hope the Nixie has not been loss. A bugger if it has."

He looks towards Amiyah, Surtros and Lara. "Anything from the sky there our winged friend? And what about the pair of you? ANy magics that could help ascertain if the Nixie has been lost or not?" Looking into the distance he just points. "Aye, best we continue to sail the course that was laid out for us. If the gods smile upon them they'll meet us at the next landfall." He strides down the decks towards the Captain. "Cap'n. What's the plan then, you happy that we can be doing a good job and keep to the charts that Miss Lavinia laid out for us."

Ghostfoot
2017-06-07, 05:46 AM
As the crew set about repairing the minor damage and continuing to sail the vessel, the rest of the passengers emerge. Indo & his manservants, Lirith and Urol all looking a little worse for wear as they feebly clutch the railings next to Tchinik.

Lora takes to the skies, searching the horizons for any sign of the Blue Nixie. There is none. Just a wide
expanse of open water for as far as you can make out.

Captain Amella turns to Connaught and fixes him with her no-nonsense look. "Aye, if there's no sign of them we carry on. The Lady's instructions are to press on to Farshore on the Isle and rendezvous there, if they're even still afloat. We carry on."

Did Surtros have a cunning plan that you'd like to consider? Otherwise I'll push on...

DrK
2017-06-07, 03:19 PM
Connaught

The barbarian looks at the noble with a grim smile and mutters to his friends. "With Lavinia away any chance you think we could push those ones overboard eh?" Louder he nods at the Captain. "Sounds good Captain. Aye feel like we'll have adventure and loot to share eh lads!" Happy he wanders around the deck, axe in hand swinging it happily as he runs through a few basic drills to keep his skills sharp.

razorback
2017-06-07, 06:49 PM
"You're the captain and your orders stand, but I agree. Separated in the storm, the best tack is to keep on and meet up later. Not much we can do to track them down amongst this great expanse of water. With trusty navigators, we shall meet at the chosen point." At Connaught comment, he eyes Indo with a wicked grin. "I would keep your comments to yourself. It's pretty hard to swim to shore when you can't see it. Even harder to do it after someone throws your horse on you." he says with this back to the man as he walks away, albeit a bit unsteadily.

Cavir
2017-06-08, 09:58 AM
The winged dragonborn uses the winds to stay aloft while circling occasionally letting out a burst of flame in case the other ship can see it. Eventually she glides down to the ship's deck. She shakes her head somberly. If no other ideas come up she heads to the bow and spreads her wings, feeling the wind pass over them as the ship continues on.

Kelvin360
2017-06-08, 08:25 PM
Surtros expected as much, but it hardly set him at ease. He leaned against a mast and watched Connaught perform his drills as he thought through the situation. He felt a certain surety that the gods hadn't forsaken them just yet, but would that protection apply to the Nixie? In the worst case scenario, what other alliances would they need to secure in order to bridge the gap Lavinia would leave behind? There was an ill wind in the air, that much was certain, and something seemed liable to give soon. If he hazarded a guess, it would involve cabin fever and Indo, which would be a shame not because he was useful (yet) but because the only thing with fewer uses was a noble corpse. He'd have to keep a closer eye on the crew to make sure no rash measures were taken. He'd memorize an extra hold person and tie the little runt up in the belowdecks himself if he had to. For his own safety, of course.

Strange. Such uncertainties never bothered him before. And, in a way, the fact that he had something to worry about was quite comforting on its own.

Ghostfoot
2017-06-15, 06:17 AM
Eager as you are to locate the Blue Nixie there is no sign of the vessel or the crew. Reluctantly Captain Amella orders the Sea Wyvern to continue on it's course south across the open ocean to the arranged rendezvous Isle of Dread. Several days pass and despite your best endeavors there has been no further evidence of the fate of Lady Lavinia and her ship in the wide expanse of overcast ocean.

As the grey dawn breaks on the fifth morning, burning fitfully through the monring fog to light the sea, something seems strange about the waters below. They seem almost solid, as if the sea had formed some strange sort of skin. The air seem dead as well, and the sails hang limp, Heavy with moisture from the receding fog.

Finally, the mist begins to clear, and what is unveiled is not the gently rolling vista of the sea but a wet green field of weed. The swath of dirty green stretches flatly in all directions. To the stern it extends for perhaps half a mile, beyond which lie the open waters of the mocking sea. In all other directions the weed extends to the horizon. Trapped within its vice are dozens of other long-dead ships, their hulls protruding from the sargasso at odd angles, masts askew, sails hanging in tatters. One such ship lies only six hundred feet to the port, and it seems to be in better shape than the others. Perhaps most unnerving though is neither the sight nor smells of of so much sun-baked seaweed. It is the unnatural silence, for the thick choking green has robbed the Sea Wyvern even of the strangely comforting sound of water lapping against her hull. It is not healthy silence. It is the silence of a graveyard.

The swath of seaweed is a sargasso, a treacherous patch of vegetation often driven by storms only to collection regions of the ocean that even the winds and current seem to fear. Sailor's speak of "Journey's End" and talk of it in hushed tones - rumours of a living island that appears from the mists after a storm. This living land is said to have a back soul that fuels the hunger of the creatures rumored to live within its green embrace.

Journey's End is one of the seas more terrible blights, and is said to be able to crush ships in it's grip. Its children are awful creatures formed of the weed itself, and are said to rise by night to slake their hunger upon any their green mother has caught in her grasp.

DrK
2017-06-15, 03:42 PM
Connaught

the barbarian looks down at the massed piles of weeds and looks at the others. "Aye lads. It don't look good does it." Climbing the mast a little he looks down at the mass of weed and leaves. "Captain. does it burn Captain? Or do we cut our way out." Embracing the sea spirit that he has been binding for so long he vaults lightly off the deck landing with a light splash on the water, his axe pulled out and prodding at the thick weeds relying on the power of Euroynome to keep himself afloat on the weeds. The cold iron hammer not useful against the mass of weeds.

Ghostfoot
2017-06-16, 03:48 AM
Landing on the heavy mat of seaweed with a damp squelch Connaught finds it relatively solid. Salty water pools about his ankles but he can move about without too much difficulty.

The sargasso counts as difficult terrain so 2x movement cost, no charging, and +5 DC to tumble checks.

razorback
2017-06-16, 08:42 AM
Tchinik looks at the patch for a few moments, dread creeping into his mind as he recalls the stories told by sailors, both drunk and stone-cold sober.
Gather the others, speaks in a low voice as to not disturb the others.
"This seaweed stuff is called Sargasso, a treacherous patch of vegetation often driven by storms only to collection regions of the ocean that even the winds and current seem to fear. Journey's End, from what I've heard of tales and rumors, is something like a living island with the black soul of a demon. Strange creatures live upon it, feeding off everything they can get their hands on. If this be Journey's End, it is a terrible thing to come across. It is said to be able to crush ships in its grip and I fear for Blue Nixie and her crew. If they were caught, the island is said to turn it's victims into some dark creature made of the seaweed itself, feeding off anything they can catch and drawing it into the green maw of the island itself, only increasing its numbers. We have much to fear if this is what we have stumbled across. If the Blue Nixie has been caught, it's crew has succumbed to the dark powers the inhabit this blight upon the sea. Any of our former friends, if seen, cannot be counted upon." he says with dread in his voice.

Cavir
2017-06-18, 03:02 PM
Lora joins everyone else on board looking outwards. Connaught jumps down to the seaweed. She calls out to him. "Connaught, is that your gift to walk on water or is it that firm down there? Fire is a good question."

The dragonborn leans over the ship railings and breaths a blast of fire into the seaweed away from Connaught and anything flammable related to the ship.

Holy loot jackpot Batman! All those ships abandoned in place. :smallbiggrin:

Fire Aura on. 30' fire blast.
[roll0] Fire

Kelvin360
2017-06-19, 10:34 PM
"I damned should have prayed for damned Remove damned Curse, shouldn't I." Surtros draws a bag of powdered silver from his belt and calls down to Connaught. "Connaught! I'd as soon ward your mind from possession and control before you venture too far, if you're going to be scouting this place forward."

DrK
2017-06-21, 04:25 AM
Connaught

The barbarian nods to Sutros coming back to the side of the ship. Euronyme's Hammer appearing his grasp as he does so. "Who wants to come with e and investigate that nearby boat? The one that doesn't look to rotten.
Maybe a clue or some ideas there that could free us from this vile filth?" Looking back up on deck he calls to his "woman". "Can you climb up to the crow's nest. See if you can see anything interesting looking within sight of here."

Spitting at the sea weed he shakes his shaggy head. Tchinik spoke true. This place has the feel of a dark and cursed thing. We must be careful."

Kelvin360
2017-06-21, 10:51 AM
Surtros moves in a circle around the barbarian, splashing silver at his feet as he moves. "Parables 2:18 - The choice made freely is holy. The choice forced unjustly is anathema." A shimmering golden barrier flashes to life around Connaught, then fades into an almost-imperceptible mirage as it sets to work defending his mind and body from intrusion for the next six minutes. "I may as well go. If someone needs healing it'll be there and not here. And when we inevitably somehow stumble upon a vast treasure trove I'll be on hand to tell you its market value."

Ghostfoot
2017-06-23, 04:54 AM
Lora leans over and breathes a blast of fire at the surrounding weed. The damp morass of seaweed bubbles and pops under the intense flames, but observing afresh any damage seems superficial. In fact, you wonder if the weed may have subtly increased its hold over the Sea Wyvern as you were distracted, the ropy strands not quite growing before your eyes but almost seeming so.

Lirrith clambers up to the crows nest and surveys the scene. After a few moments she shouts down "It clogs the waters east as far as I can see. Lot's of wrecks. This here heap of timber is the only big one close by."

Driven by curiosity you prepare yourselves and make for the nearby wreck accompanied by Lirith. Strange currents swirl in the puddles around your feet and the feeling of walking is quite disorienting as if the fronds of the weed itself were stirring. Nearing the wreck you see it is strangled with weeds and vines, almost as if immense green claws hold the ship in their grasp. In many places the caravel, a ship hauntingly similar to the Sea Wyvern, has been torn apart by the vegetation's rampant growth. A plate near the stern gives the vessel's name - Rage.

Cavir
2017-06-23, 07:55 AM
Lora eyes the area she blasted with disappointment. "Fire on that stuff is a bad idea. Looks like it thrives on heat. I'll try freezing cold on it away from the ship. I wouldn't want to be walking on it that much. Someone drag Urol out here. Hopefully he'll have more insight since this is the kind of thing he likes."

The dragonborn climbs the main mast and scans all around. Perhaps her dragon enhanced sight along with her flying goggles will find something more. She then jumps off, soaring above Connaught and Lirith towards the next closer ship. As she nears the Rage, she calls out form above "AHOY!"

razorback
2017-06-23, 09:05 AM
Tchinik, deeply unsettled by both the rumors and the encounter with the flora, walks gingerly with his spear out in front of him.
"Alright, Connaught, I'm with you. Let us be about this quickly. Maybe we can find some survivors with a bit of information that might help... or some loot. Either way, quickly is better in my opinion." he says with a grimace on his face.

Kelvin360
2017-06-23, 11:27 PM
"And to think we might have used a druid of all things," Surtros remarked, his face twisting into a deeper grimace with every soggy step he took in his plated boots. Uncertain of what they may find, he keeps to the back, but very close to the rest of them. Should the worst come to pass, a quick healing spell or resurgence might be necessary.

DrK
2017-06-28, 04:17 PM
Connaught

Emboldened by the blessings from his friends the barbarian leaps onto the rage and pauses, a massive cold iron hammer appearing from nowhere within his hand as he embraces Euorynme's gift. His feet and hands leaving damp patches over the deck as he climbs aboard. He stamps on the deck a few times to make sure its not too rotten before striding towards the stern castle where he thinks the Captain's cabin must have been,

Ghostfoot
2017-06-30, 03:21 PM
Urol is indeed found with a collection of jars of sargasso weed. Intently studying the slimy stuff he mutters "Yes yes. I sure am looking at it. Fascinating, really. It's alive and constantly growing at infinitesimal pace. See if you can bring back any more samples from your investigations." He settles himself down again evidently not going anywhere for the time being as he experiments.

Circling the Rage Lora cries out but only silence answers her. Connaught is first aboard, the decks wreathed in slippery seaweed and swathes of thick green mucus. The timbers are rotted and squelch nastily underfoot. Smashed gear lies about the wrecked deck and amid the weed and detritus you note signs of combat - large patches of dried blood, a broken rapier blade wedged in the mast, smashed barricades. An upturned cauldron still has a small pool of oil within and littering the deck about it are several dozen burnt-out torches.

Doors lead down below deck. You can see from here that they have been barred but that nevertheless they are smashed and breached. A broken ballista peeks out of the gap. Alternatively a large hole has been smashed through the hull on the far side and also leads below decks.

razorback
2017-07-03, 12:09 PM
Tchinik, following Connaught lead, makes his way to the top deck. As the huge northerner makes his way to the rear, Tchinik circles to the right, spear out, as he looks for any sign of life.
Seeing the blood splats, he keeps his eyes keen as he moves around, motioning to the others to take the other side of the ship as he moves quietly.

DrK
2017-07-04, 04:08 PM
Connaught looks over at Tchinik nodding, "Well spotted. Anyone got some light to toss in ahead of me?" once some light is ready he looks in and leaps through the gash in the hull, axe ready to chop anything that leaps out at him.

Kelvin360
2017-07-05, 12:01 PM
"Well seeing as it can be unsummoned, and you won't be sneaking about anytime soon..." Surtros taps the head of Connaught's massive hammer, invoking a golden, torchlike glow into the object, and then standing back to let the luminescent barbarian take the lead.

Cavir
2017-07-06, 04:35 PM
Lora lands on a lower spar. Activating her magic insight she looks downward, possibly sensing magic in the decks below. "Hold up." She steps off the spar and glides down to the deck with the others. "The darkness doesn't bother my sight. I'll go first."

The dragonborn steps up to the breached door and peers inside with both her darkvision and magic insight. If no apparent threat, she steps through.

Any results from magic insight?
Spot [roll0]

Ghostfoot
2017-07-08, 05:27 AM
Lora scans the area but detects no magical auras. Stepping through the broken doorway she descends a brief stairway to the quarters below followed by Connaught, and the others. A few items of smashed furniture are strewn about the room, and light spills in from the large hole in the hull that you had already observed from outside. The tilted floor creaks and groans occasionally as the sargasso bed outside undulates slightly, but other than that gently noise there is silence.

"What d'ya think happened to everyone?" mutters Lirith nervously, clutching her falchion.

Across the room is another doorway, open. Inside you can see a better furnished cabin, perhaps that of the captain. An old journal or notebook is visible resting on a table within.

Cavir
2017-07-08, 03:44 PM
Lora points out the journal on the table but doesn't take it herself. "The sea grass likes fire and it seems this crew tried using it for defense. When we get back outside I'll see how it likes freezing cold. Doesn't explain what made that hole in the hull. That book may have some answers." She scans the captain's cabin with her magic insight then moves on exploring the insides of the ship.

DrK
2017-07-09, 03:15 PM
Lora scans the area but detects no magical auras. Stepping through the broken doorway she descends a brief stairway to the quarters below followed by Connaught, and the others. A few items of smashed furniture are strewn about the room, and light spills in from the large hole in the hull that you had already observed from outside. The tilted floor creaks and groans occasionally as the sargasso bed outside undulates slightly, but other than that gently noise there is silence.

"What d'ya think happened to everyone?" mutters Lirith nervously, clutching her falchion.

Across the room is another doorway, open. Inside you can see a better furnished cabin, perhaps that of the captain. An old journal or notebook is visible resting on a table within.

Connaight pats Lirith on the shoulder. "Something bad aye. Something bad definitely happened here. But we'll be fine I reckon. WHatever did for these guys is long gone." He glances at the book unable to read the writing. "Can one of you learned folk have a read of that?"

razorback
2017-07-09, 11:18 PM
Tchinik, nervous for his own reason, just nods at Connaught. Moving cautiously into the room, he picks up the book and walks out, moving back above deck, as he reviews the book.

Ghostfoot
2017-07-10, 05:27 AM
As Tchinik reaches for the journal the sodden floorboards twist and buckle. He leaps back, grabbing the edge of the doorway for safety as the rotted floor of the room collapses down onto the underlying sargasso bed in the hold 5 feet below sending the journal spinning off to float in a briny puddle.

Kelvin360
2017-07-10, 08:16 AM
Surtros gives the missing floor an icy glare and holds an arm up. "Absolutely not. No. I've heard this story before. Tchinik, if you want to go down there and retrieve it, I insist that we support you with a rope despite the small distance, so that Connaught can pull you up if something goes wrong. The devilweed or something equally sinister might not appreciate the commotion we're making."

Cavir
2017-07-12, 05:19 PM
The commotion causes Lora to turn back to the group. "Rope? I've got that and better." She pulls out her silk rope. One end is secured to an exquisite grappling hook in the shape of a dragon claw. She tosses the hook end towards the other end of the room with a word of magic, and the hook magically animates and secures itself.

"There you go."

Grasping Hook. Dungeonscape p41.
Use Rope +6 from hook, +2 from silk rope. Even if it doesn't stick on the first toss, out of combat this is Easy.

Yeah finally a use for it!

razorback
2017-07-12, 05:23 PM
Tchinik looks down and starts to pull himself up as his friends offer him some advice.
Pursing his lips, he reaches out to the rope.
"Thank you, kind friends. If you don't mind, lower me down and be ready to pull me back up." he says as he looks up.

Can't seem to get on the tangled web at the moment, so not sure what his climb or use rope is.
[roll0] + skill

Ghostfoot
2017-07-21, 03:37 PM
With Lora's aid Tchinik secures the rope and lowers himself the short drop to the journal below. "Hurry," urges Lirith "it's coming apart in the water". Reaching out to grasp the sodden journal there is a sudden eruption of movement. Kelp-like strands of seaweed burst into life as three large masses of the weed lurch toward him from the shadows. All about, even in the cabin above, strands of weed slowly wriggle and writhe across the floor curling about ankles and limbs where they find purchase.

The three weed masses lash out with ropy tendrils, one striking Tchinik for 8 damage. The kelpy strands wrap about him trying to drag him into the clump. As the rope goes taut Tchinik struggles against it, Lora and Lirith pulling from up top to save him. With their combined efforts he breaks free, still surrounded in the darkened hold below but having evaded the initial assault.

Surprise round! (was anyone actually surprised...?)

Entangle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/entangle.htm) Reflex DC12 30ft radius. Affects everyone in hold and in cabin above. I'll let you roll your own saves.

Lirith Ref save vs entangle DC12 (1d20+4)[16] Save

Vines vs Tchinik
Slam (1d20+7)[9] damage (1d6+7)[9] Miss
Slam (1d20+7)[24] damage (1d6+7)[8] Hit

Grapple/ constrict: vine (1d20+12)[13] vs Tchinik (1d20+10)[27] damage (1d6+7)[13] Tchinik win
I gave Tchinik a +2 bonus for having the rope secured.

No map sorry

Knowledge check to ID (both fail)
Lora (1d20+3)[10]
Tchinik (1d20+4)[7]

Initiative
Surtros (1d20)[14]
Lora (1d20)[1]
Connaught (1d20)[4]
Tchinik (1d20+4)[5]
Lirith (1d20+6)[7]
Vines (1d20)[10]

=> Surtros

Ghostfoot
2017-07-21, 10:06 PM
Too soon! Another heavy strand of kelp whips around slamming into Tchinik for 11 damage. With a firm hold it yanks him toward the mass where more strands wind about him, squeezing tightly trying to choke the life from him inflicting a further 8 damage.

Vines vs Tchinik
Slam (1d20+7)[16] damage (1d6+7)[9] Miss
Slam (1d20+7)[25] damage (1d6+7)[11] Hit
Slam (1d20+7)[17] damage (1d6+7)[10] Miss

Grapple/ constrict vine (1d20+12)[23] vs Tchinik (1d20+10)[15] Vine wins! damage (1d6+7)[8] & grappled.

=> Party

Cavir
2017-07-22, 07:20 PM
"Hang on Tchinik! Remember, don't use fire." Lora keeps hold of the rope hoping it will help him. She breaths in deep them lets loose with a frosty white cone that lingers on the sentient vines.

Cold Breath with Entangling to catch all of the vines.
Entangling Frost Breath, 15' cone
Damage: 3d8 cold in half, then Reflex DC16 to half that again. [roll0] Cold
Any taking damage are then entangled and take 1d8 cold damage for [roll1] rounds.
Entangling Cold: [roll2] Cold

Dragon Spirit Cincture changes breath weapon to d8s.

Stance: Iron Guard’s Glare: all I threaten are -4 to hit anyone else
Enduring Exposure
Resist Fire Aura On
Shield Block Maneuver to protect allies (will use if base attack roll is 11+)
AC20
52hp

Current Maneuvers:
Foehammer
Crusader’s Strike

Maneuver next round: [roll3] Shield Block (DS2) Immediate to grant adjacent ally +4 AC over your shield bonus (+7 with +1 heavy shield)

Hey, maybe the cold will keep the journal from getting too water logged :smallcool:

razorback
2017-07-24, 08:21 AM
"Blasted!" Tchinik calls out at the vines as they seek to smother him.
"Pull me up, pull me up!" he says to his friends as he struggles to break free of the vines.

Opposed strength check to break free.
[roll0] I just added strength, not sure what other bonuses apply.

Kelvin360
2017-08-01, 11:45 AM
Surtros gasps in shock as the vines trail up his armored legs, slowing his progress. So many things to do if he could just touch Tchinik, but that would involve going down there whilst being strangled in vines. Instead, he reached into his pack and withdrew a single sphere, uttering the command word that would allow his trusty battleaxe to enter the fray once again. If anything in their arsenal could deal with magic evil vines, raw force magic could do the job.

Can't move and draw an item so I'll have to be content with standing still. The axe is going to start chopping at vines.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

DrK
2017-08-04, 05:19 PM
Connaught

Seeing his friend assailed by the vines Connaught pulled forth his trusty axe and leapt down into the hole with a great cheer upon his lips. "Release him weeds or feel my wrath" he bellowed as he chopped and hewed at moving weeds in the narrow space.

Draw axe whilst jumping down
Chop PA 2 [roll0] dam [roll1]

Hps 44/44
Saves 8/3/5 +2 if evil
AC 16 (6arm) + 2 if evil
Rage 1/1
Vestige: Euroynme
Walk on water, Hammer, DR2/lawful

Effects
Protection from EVIL

Ghostfoot
2017-08-06, 05:21 AM
Lora breathes out, a blast of frosty air that rimes the damp hold with ice. The sound of cracking ice crunching fills the room as the masses of kelpweed easily twist their way through the hindering frost. Tchinik struggles in the tangle but can't wrench himself free.

Surtros hold a silvery sphere high before him and speaks a word of magic. A whirling weapon of force flies from nowhere striking at the weeds sending tendrils flying as it hacks and smashes for 10 damage.

Connaught leaps down the murderous plantlife lashing out at him striking for 8 & 6 damage as he lands before he starts hacking away strands of weed flying in all directions as he hacks for 17 damage.

Caught in the grip of the weed mass Tchinik feels his body crushed and limbs being pulled painfully for 11 damage as the foliage tries to dismember him. The other two soggy seaweed clumps lash out at Connaught, one striking him for 6 damage.

Vines resist cold!! :smallmad:

Hey Kelvin360 - was it a Hammersphere or a normal casting of Spiritual Weapon that you were intending? I'm assuming Hammersphere for now, and the good news is that it inflicts 3d6 damage per hit :smallsmile:

hammersphere damage (3d6)[10]

AoO Vines vs Connaught
Slam (1d20+7)[21] damage (1d6+7)[10] less DR2
Slam (1d20+7)[19] damage (1d6+7)[8] less DR2
Grapple/ constrict vine (1d20+12)[25] vs Connaught (1d20+13)[31] Connaught windamage (1d6+7)[12]
Grapple/ constrict vine (1d20+12)[25] vs Connaught (1d20+13)[22] + AP (1d6)[6] Connaught win - just damage (1d6+7)[10]

Vines vs Connaught
Slam (1d20+7)[22] damage (1d6+7)[8]
Slam (1d20+7)[11] damage (1d6+7)[11]
Grapple/ constrict vine (1d20+12)[16] vs Connaught (1d20+13)[19] +AP (1d6)[3] damage (1d6+7)[12] & grappled.
Grapple/ constrict vine (1d20+12)[14] vs Connaught (1d20+13)[17] +AP (1d6)[6] damage (1d6+7)[13] & grappled.

Grapple/ constrict vine (1d20+12)[26] vs Tchinik (1d20+10)[19] damage (1d6+7)[11] & still grappled.

=> Party

Cavir
2017-08-11, 06:27 AM
"Hang on Tchinik!" Lora keeps her grip on the rope so that he has something to pull against. She activates her necklace. A large scorpion appears behind the vines and immediately goes after the vines.

we can fit a large scorpion in there too. The 3 weed masses are also each large size.
Holy captain's quarters! With a cabin this size he was living it up!

Turn on vigor aura. Fast Heal 1 up to half hp for allies w/n 30'
Stance: Iron Guard’s Glare: On

Activate Amber Amulet of Vermin - Large Scorpion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/monstrousScorpion.htm)(MICp68) 1/day for 1 minute, summon range 50ft. 5 HD, 32HP, AC16,
2 claws +6 melee (1d6+4) and sting +1 melee (1d6+2 plus poison dc14 1d4 CON), size 10' reach 5', speed 50',
improved grab, Constrict 1d6+4

Scorpion positioned to be in rage of at least 2 vines with reach, preferably also giving flanking to Connaught. Full attack the vine grappling Tchinik. Left over attacks to the vine fighting Connaught.

Scorpion reflex save vs entangle, DC 12 [roll0]

Claw 1: [roll1] crit: [roll2] (+2 for flanking if applicable, + tgt grappling bonus, -2 if entangled)
Damage: [roll3] crit: [roll4]

Claw 2: [roll5] crit: [roll6] (+2 for flanking if applicable, + tgt grappling bonus, -2 if entangled)
Damage: [roll7] crit: [roll8]

Sting: [roll9] crit: [roll10] (+2 for flanking if applicable, + tgt grappling bonus, -2 if entangled)
Damage: [roll11] crit: [roll12] Plus Fort DC 14 poison (1d4/1d4 CON)

Kelvin360
2017-08-13, 08:24 AM
Struggling against the vines just to put one foot in front of the other, Surtros tears his way forward and collapses down into the lower deck, splashing ungracefully into the water. In the ensuing struggle to retain his balance, one hand finds Tchinik's entangled body, and the bard's wounds begin to mend.

Moving at half speed down to the deck, taking that Attack of Opportunity we mentioned. Touch of Healing will heal Tchinik for 9 hit points up to half his total.

razorback
2017-08-15, 11:29 AM
"Blasted, overgrown weeds!" Tchinik manages to scream out as the vines slowly squeeze the life out of him.

[roll0] I just added strength, not sure what other bonuses apply.

DrK
2017-08-29, 01:34 AM
Connaught

The barbarian regrets his move as he is beaten by the long kelp strands but gainfully slashes let and right hacking furously at the plants surrounding them.

Hps 30/44
Saves 8/3/5 +2 if evil
AC 16 (6arm) + 2 if evil
Rage 1/1

Effects
Protection from EVIL

Ghostfoot
2017-09-01, 03:02 PM
Lora holds forth her amulet and speaks a word of magic. With a strange swirling of movement a massive black scorpion suddenly appears in the hold below. It strikes out tearing at the weeds with one of its claws for 9 damage. Surtros leaps down next to Tchinik and Connaught, one hand reaching out as healing energy flows to the injured Chessentan. Even as he does, vines lash out at him for 20 damage dragging him in toward one of the other murderous masses of plantlife. The spectral weapon spins and strikes ineffectively but Connaught grabs his trusty axe chopping furiously at the plant holding Tchinik for 15 damage. The hacking is too much and the plant flies apart, pieces twitching as it falls to pieces finally freeing Tchinik.

As the weeds constricting Surtros crush him for a further 10 damage the second mass of weed lashes out at the monstrous scorpion, striking for 13 damage.

Hammersphere vs vine (1d20+9)[10] damage (3d6)[12]

AoO Vines vs Surtros
Slam (1d20+7)[22] damage (1d6+7)[8]
Slam (1d20+7)[14] damage (1d6+7)[11]
Grapple/ constrict vine (1d20+12)[32] vs Surtros (1d20+5)[7] damage (1d6+7)[12]

Standard action vs Surtros:
Grapple/ constrict vine (1d20+12)[28] vs Surtros (1d20+5)[21] damage (1d6+7)[10]

Vine vs Scorpion
Slam (1d20+7)[18] damage (1d6+7)[13]
Grapple/ constrict vine (1d20+12)[20] vs Scorpion (1d20+11)[31] damage (1d6+7)[9]

2 weed monsters left. 1 is grappling Surtros.

=> Party

razorback
2017-09-05, 11:21 AM
Tchink continues to struggle as he nods at Surtos, though it seems in vain at the moment.

[roll0]

DrK
2017-09-05, 06:30 PM
Connaught looks suprised as the scorpion appears, the grins behind his beard as it begins to attack the plants. With Sutros joining them he barrels into the second plant axe swinging as he begins to chant and sing a battle cry seeking to save his friends fom the strong and brutal clutches of the vines.

SPEND AP: [roll2] dam [roll3]

Hps 30/44
Saves 8/3/5 +2 if evil
AC 16 (6arm) + 2 if evil
Rage 1/1

Effects
Protection from EVIL

Cavir
2017-09-05, 08:25 PM
Tchinik is freed while Surtros now becomes the potential plant food. Lora breathes a platinum mist at the two plants purposely missing the scorpion at her command, then directs the scorpion to focus first on killing that plant.

Vigor Aura is up! If you are under half hp don't forget you heal 1/round. HP's aren't being posted so I can't check.

Slow: Slows for 2 rounds, Fort DC 16 save to reduce to only 1 round.

Scorpion attacking the vine grappling Surtros. If that plant dies then move onto the next.

Claw 1: [roll0] crit: [roll1] (+2 for flanking if applicable, + tgt grappling bonus)
Damage: [roll2] crit: [roll3]

Claw 2: [roll4] crit: [roll5] (+2 for flanking if applicable, + tgt grappling bonus)
Damage: [roll6] crit: [roll7]

Sting: [roll8] crit: [roll9] (+2 for flanking if applicable, + tgt grappling bonus)
Damage: [roll10] crit: [roll11]

Kelvin360
2017-09-06, 06:43 AM
The victory of getting the healing effect off is short-lived, as the cleric's body begins to break and twist grotesquely under the pressure of the attacking vines. Cold terror begins to seep into Surtros' mindveins as oblivion firmly reaches out to him. Desperately, he croaks out a prayer for aid to Tymora, swirling chaotic energy beginning to surround him.

4 HP remaining. Lora heals for 1, to a total of 5. Standard action for Touch of Healing, swift action for Chaos Devotion. I gain back 9 HP to a total of 14 and if I roll an even number I get that total to my AC for this round. None of this incurs attacks of opportunity. I seriously doubt adding to my AC will do anything when I'm already grappled, but if I don't do something, I'm absolutely guaranteed to die.

Base AC: 22

Roll: [roll0]

Ghostfoot
2017-09-16, 04:53 AM
Seeing one plant hacked apart Connaught chops and hews at the next. Axe blows rain down for 18 damage as the weed crushing Surtros falls apart at the onslaught.

The scorpion tears into the remaining plant for 8 damage even as Tchinik hacks away at it for 9 damage.

Lora's draconic breath washes through the hold slowing the plant but despite this it still lashes out at the massive scorpion, tendrils smashing against its exoskeleton for 13 damage.

don't forget the hammersphere!
Hammersphere vs vine (1d20+9)[11] damage (3d6)[13]

no need for an opposed check, Tchinik is free now
Tchinik vs vine rapier (1d20+9)[29] damage (1d6+4)[9]

Vine vs scorpion
Slam (1d20+6)[23] damage (1d6+7)[13]

1 weed monster left. Nobody grappled.

=> Party

razorback
2017-09-19, 06:01 PM
Rolling the last bite of the demon weed aside, Tchink spits as he slashes at the last creature with his sword. "Back to the hells that spawned you, creature."

Tchinik
HP ~ 52; Current ~41
AP ~ 7 ; Current ~ 7
Bardic Music (7) ~ xx

Attack weed monster
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

Crit 18-20/x2
[roll2]
[roll3]]

Effects~

Safewing Emblem

Kelvin360
2017-09-20, 07:22 AM
By what seemed to be the intervention of the goddess herself, that pressure was gone, the screaming agony replaced by a brief floating sensation, then a splash as the sore, gasping priest landed in open water. Stepping forward with a growl, Surtros took up his mace and slashed at the last of the fiendishly fearsome flora, while opposite the brush his summoned axe cascaded downwards in a perfect mirror of his strike.

Seriously, björk this thing.

Mace Attack [roll0]
Mace Damage [roll1]

Hammersphere Attack [roll2]
Hammersphere Damage [roll3]

Cavir
2017-09-20, 09:28 AM
Lora has the scorpion continue to work on snipping the plant down to size. The dragonborn's cold breath had no effect on it, she wasn't keen on setting the old wooden ship on fire with them in the hold, and her slowing breath was recharging. The scorpion and her allies seemed to have the plant on its last leaves. She instead chooses to ensure the party stays upright. She glides down to the fight, hovering right behind Surtros, and activated her healing belt on the one that nearly got himself killed while saving Tchink.

Vigor Aura is up! If you are under half hp don't forget you heal 1/round. To the former plant food sacrificees, please post your HP in OOC.

Claw 1: [roll0] crit: [roll1] (+2 for flanking if applicable, + tgt grappling bonus, -2 if entangled)
Damage: [roll2] crit: [roll3]

Claw 2: [roll4] crit: [roll5] (+2 for flanking if applicable, + tgt grappling bonus, -2 if entangled)
Damage: [roll6] crit: [roll7]

Sting: [roll8] crit: [roll9] (+2 for flanking if applicable, + tgt grappling bonus, -2 if entangled)
Damage: [roll10] crit: [roll11] Plus Fort DC 14 poison (1d4/1d4 CON)

Healing Belt on Surtros. [roll12]

DrK
2017-09-21, 03:58 PM
The barbarian grins as one of the plants is chopped into fragments of kindling before he wades into the other one. "Get clear Sutros, I'll deal with this one with Lora's clawed pet."

He chops some more at the beast trying to hack his way through the fronds like an explorer in the jungle.

Chop PA 2 [roll2] dam [roll3]

Hps 30/44
Saves 8/3/5 +2 if evil
AC 16 (6arm) + 2 if evil
Rage 1/1

Effects
Protection from EVIL

Ghostfoot
2017-09-22, 02:33 PM
Tchinik hacks at the weed fronds for 7 damage and Surtros steps alongside pulping it for 6 damage as his hammersphere smashes for 11 damage. The final plant-creature cannot withstand the battering and ends up spattered about the hold like so much compost.

Catching your breath in the ankle-deep muck Tchinik turns his attention to the sodden journal still clutched in his hand. It chronicles the tale of a monk named Anhelm and his journey along the southern coast of Chult. The document tells of a fierce storm that drove the Rage out to sea, but it is the last few pages that are of the greatest interest...

https://i.imgur.com/sfFgImg.png

DrK
2017-09-23, 01:10 AM
Connaught

The barbarian listens as on the others reads out the Journal before shivering with unease. "Fimirs, fen beasts it sounds like. Gods preserve us. We'll have to find the mother, cut its head off and burn both bits."

Climbing back up onto the deck he looks about and looks at their flying friend. "Which direction do you think?" Then to the others, "Shall we have a day to recover and ready and leave in the morning?".

Kelvin360
2017-09-25, 04:48 PM
"Somehow I don't think it will be as simple as just leaving, unless I misunderstand how whatever pox is on this flora works," Surtros says, grunting as he pops a shoulder back into place.

Lora's aura kind of makes this part superfluous but everyone below half health is now at half health.

razorback
2017-09-26, 05:44 PM
"I have... no clue." Tchink says uncertainly. Hesitating further, he shakes his head before continuing. "Aye, Connaught,
we are in a bad way, here. To remove the blight from our path and others is what songs of glory are born from." he finishes, his voice gaining strength and vitality as he speaks, heartening both himself and his friends.

Cavir
2017-09-30, 05:58 PM
"Fimirs? Fen beasts? What are those?"

"Yes, let's return to the Sea Wyvern, share the information, and venture out in the morning. Maybe we can get some divine guidance for which way to go. We'll have to keep a strong watch overnight."

Still have my direction questions from the OOC thread.

Ghostfoot
2017-10-01, 03:07 AM
Bruised and seaweed-spattered you emerge from the wreck of the Rage to the late afternoon sun. Feeling worse for wear and only somewhat more knowledgeable about what haunts this cursed sargasso you trudge down and head back across the strange weed-island toward the Sea Wyvern.

As the shadows grow long and the sun begins to dip toward the horizon you near the Sea Wyvern. From a hundred yards or so away you see the welcome sight of Urol and the crew members waving to you. Out of the corner of your eye you sense movement in the distance, here, there - all about. "Ah, guys. There's something out there" mutters Lirith holding her bow at the ready as she scans all about. When you turn to look you see nothing but miles of seaweed but you're certain you weren't mistaken. A light sea fog slowly rises from the damp surroundings and it's hard to see much other than the mast of the Sea Wyvern ahead.

Spot DC15
Surtros (1d20+5)[22]
Lara (1d20+14)[17]
Connaught (1d20-1)[19]
Tchinik (1d20+1)[6]
Lirith (1d20-1)[15]

Everyone but Tchinik sees movement in the distance, all around.

Hustling forward you close the last stretch as quickly as you can, helped aboard by the sailors "Get them up here, you scurvy lot!" Captain Amella barks orders about. "Man the ballistae! Light the torches!"

Looking back you see definite shapes out in distant twilight, approaching slowly across the matted seaweed before the roiling fog thickens and obscures the view. "We're all going to die!" wails Indo. Captain Amella approaches gripping her rapier flanked by two crewmen "What did you find out there?"

Fog reduces visibility to 30ft and provides 20% concealment.
It's dark/ twilight but torches illuminate the deck of the Sea Wyvern.

Cavir
2017-10-05, 10:59 PM
Lora the winged dragonborn flies up to the deck, making her the first back aboard. "Careful with those torches. The seaweed thrives on fire."

She then answers the captain's question succinctly. The others can fill in the details later. "Deadly vines. A shop's log. That there are things in the mist. That we need to find the mother of these things and destroy her." She leans against the ship's rails, trying to use her draconic sight to see through the fog.

darkvision 60', low-light x2 if those help.

DrK
2017-10-06, 04:47 PM
Connaught

Climbing aboard the barbarian looks at the others, hefting the axe in his hand. "Looks nasty out there friends. Get ready to repel boarders and we'll cut 'em down before they can get aboard the ship." He glances at the bruises and discolouration from the earlier fight - "Sutros, would you have any healing to spare before they arrive."

Hps 30/44
Saves 8/3/5
AC 16 (6arm)
Rage 1/1

Effects

Cavir
2017-10-06, 09:19 PM
Lora

"Connaught, I can help with that. Probably better to save his magic for the fight." Lora grabs a belt out of her pack and temporarily switches it with the one she was wearing. Using the power of the new belt she heals some of Connaught's wounds. She then looks to Surtros and Tchinik to see who is the worse for wear from the fight and applies healing. "I'll save the last charge just in case." She then swaps belts again.

Healing Belt on Connaught: [roll0]
Healing Belt on whoever is hurt worse: [roll1]

Ghostfoot
2017-10-07, 03:33 PM
The fog rolls in thick as nighttime settles across the sargasso. The minutes drag as you can hear ominous sucking sounds from all about across the seaweed land.

As the tension builds you all look to one another, wondering when it will come. The fog swirls playing havoc with your vision, shapes teasing your senses. After what must be an hour but seems like an eternity several shapes lurch into the torchlight just beyond the railing of the Sea Wyvern. A whispered word echoes through the fog from the shambling manlike weed monsters. "Outsiders....:

Indo shrieks with terror the high-pitched wail unwelcome as the crew try to steady their nerves. "Let 'em have it" Captain Amella shouts the order to the crewmen on the ballistae as they fire wildly into the mist.

https://i.imgur.com/SazT4Hu.png

Plenty of time to prepare if you wish to.

darkvision 60', low-light x2 if those help.

It helps with the twilight/ darkness but not the seafog so still 20% concealment for all.

initiative
surtros (1d20)[2]
Lora (1d20)[18]
Connaught (1d20)[11]
Tchinik (1d20+4)[15]
Captain Amella (1d20+2)[16]
Urol (1d20+1)[15]
Indo (1d20+1)[15]
Lirith (1d20+6)[20]
Crew (1d20)[14]
Vine monsters (1d20+3)[5]

https://i.imgur.com/fzy9QRT.png

Due to fog visibility is reduced to 30ft and everyone has 20% concealment

A few crewmembers are joining this fight, at H5, I5, H15, I15, J14.

Ballistae are mounted at G15 & J15.

You can change your starting position to anywhere on the Sea Wyvern as a free action if you wish.

=> Lora, Tchinik, Connaught & NPC's
ie everyone except Surtros

DrK
2017-10-08, 01:58 AM
Connaught

The burly barbarian looks to the woman beside him clutching her bow. "Cover me, shout if his mate comes to help him, I'll take the nearest one. "

The barbarian leaps down and darts across the water towards the nearest green vibe beast. Axe spinning and hewing at the nearest beast.

Move across water to N14
Chop [roll0] dam [roll1]

Hps 39/44
Saves 8/3/5
AC 16 (6arm)
Rage 1/1

Cavir
2017-10-09, 09:19 PM
The dragonborn calls out from the rigging above. "Sailors! Fight defensively to keep them off the ship. Shoot the ones we aren't facing." She jumps and uses the height to glide quickly over and ahead of Connaught. She begins to circle around and breathes a breath of platinum mist at the creature.

Glide to M16, ending facing SW and 10' up.

Slow breath. 2 rounds, Fort save to reduce to only 1 round.