PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Magic Items That Grant Special Senses

LoyalPaladin
2016-09-26, 04:17 PM
Good afternoon, playground! I'm working on spending the last bit of my gold for an upcoming game here and I'm trying go about it in a sensible way. Heh. Get it? [I]Sensible? Because I need special sen- never mind. Anyways... I have 54,000 gp left over.

Here are my current special senses:

Blindsight 30ft
Tremorsense 30ft
True Seeing

Now that I look at it... my list is really pathetic...

Here are the ones I need:

Darkvision
Low-Light Vision

Here are the ones I'd like to have.

Arcane Sight
Life Sense
Scent
Mindsight

Here is the hitch... I don't have class levels to play with and I can't make custom items. I'd like the special senses to be continuous if at all possible. Can we do it playground? Is it possible to get all these modes of vision from magic items? Find out next time on Drag- I mean... please and thank you!

-LP

Draconium
2016-09-26, 04:23 PM
Well, for Darkvision, it's pretty easy - Goggles of Night (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#gogglesofNight). Though they do take up the face slot, so it may not stack with some of the other senses, as they tend to use the same slot.

Deophaun
2016-09-26, 04:26 PM
If you have true seeing, why do you need darkvision or lowlight vision? True seeing lets you see in normal and magical darkness.

Otherwise, goggles of night in the DMG for darkvision.

Scent might.... might be obtainable through Tiger Claw Bracers, if you're allowed to pick up stances from it. Use it to pick up hunter's sense.

Vaz
2016-09-26, 04:31 PM
Planar Touchstone feat grants Scent if you choose the Bestial domain IIRC, as does Warlock 1 as a Least invocation, or you can pick it up with Martial Stance for Hunter's Scent.

If you need Mindsight, you need Telepathy as a special quality; usually many people take a dip in Mindbinder for this.

To get Lifesense, you need to be Undead.

Arcane Sight can be purchased to be Permanent; downside is that as it's permanent, it can be dispelled.

LoyalPaladin
2016-09-26, 04:40 PM
Well, for Darkvision, it's pretty easy - Goggles of Night (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#gogglesofNight). Though they do take up the face slot, so it may not stack with some of the other senses, as they tend to use the same slot.

If you have true seeing, why do you need darkvision or lowlight vision? True seeing lets you see in normal and magical darkness.
I've got the Hathran Mask of True Seeing, if that's how it works then I'm very pleased! Hahaha. I guess I never realized True Seeing overwrites Darkvision/Low-Light Vision.

Planar Touchstone feat grants Scent if you choose the Bestial domain IIRC
I think I still have a spare feat. So this might be my option.

If you need Mindsight, you need Telepathy as a special quality; usually many people take a dip in Mindbinder for this.
Hm. I'll look into it. Not thrilled about investing cross-class skills in intimidate haha.

To get Lifesense, you need to be Undead.
Do you have to be undead? That's super unfortunate. I'm surprised there aren't any items that grant it...

Arcane Sight can be purchased to be Permanent; downside is that as it's permanent, it can be dispelled.
That's my concern... how much is it to permanency? I'm AFB.

Vaz
2016-09-26, 05:18 PM
All feats can be picked up via Magic Item as per the Arms and Equipment guide; page 60 something sidebar IIRC. Planar Touchstone is one of my favourite for this to grant the players in my party, as is the Open-Minded feat. 1 feat providing useful domain powers (have a talk with the party beforehand about their expected build orders, and ask what they would do if they had a free feat to use, but the exception was that it could not be used as a prerequisite, nor have any prerequisites that they don't have already). This can be abused, if by the players though.

They can be nice introductions into a variant sideline of the character. For example, I granted one of the Skill Monkeys a Sceptre, which contained a Clear Golden Orb set into it, granting him the Pride Domain abilities. Not only was he capable of being more resilient while carrying it, and a plot point turning him into the ruler of a kingdom, but it turned him into a more capable fighter thanks to getting access to Divine Power.

As for Open Minded feat, getting a "Brooch of Lucidity" giving the target 5 free ranks in a skill (again, perhaps introduce the statute that these cannot be used as qualification if you're not content with having to protect against loss of that item, if you're that way inclined). Alternatively, you can specify what those ranks are actually for.

In regards to that, if you're fine with "losing the item" and it not retroactively changing and hence can be used as qualification, Martial Study of a Devoted Spirit maneuvre gives you Intimidate as a Class Skill.

For this, perhaps you could give them an improved Devoted Spirit Amulet; not only does it give them the maneuvre, but 5 ranks of Intimidate; they've still got to stump up some investment after all.

In regards to Undead; no, you can be a Construct, or any other Con --, but Undead is the easiest.

Just checked Arcane Sight permanency; you must have it cast on you by yourself, it's a personal spell, nor can you Permanence someone elses. You might have to go the route of having Craft Contingent Permanent Arcane Sight Spell. It's 1500XP and and 11th level spell.