PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Pact of Blade options

j_spencer93
2016-09-26, 06:41 PM
This is in response to a post I saw earlier. What makes you able to take a minotaur great axe or an ice devil spear with the part of the blade feature?

Laughingdagger
2016-09-26, 06:48 PM
Pact of the blade allows you to become proficient with whatever weapon you bond to, although the verdict is out whether the weapon retains its size restraints or special characteristics.

j_spencer93
2016-09-26, 06:52 PM
See thats what I wasn't sure about. However, I would agree to special characteristics since its obviously intended for magical weapons to keep theirs when used. I am not sure I really understand the thinking that you can use creatures weapons though. It doesnt seem to be intended for that.
IF that was the case, why not just find a weapon you like of the Demon Lords and pick it?

R.Shackleford
2016-09-26, 11:33 PM
This is in response to a post I saw earlier. What makes you able to take a minotaur great axe or an ice devil spear with the part of the blade feature?

There's no such weapon as a "minotaur great axe" or an "ice devil spear".

What you have is a great axe and a spear used by those monsters.

That's a gist of it.

j_spencer93
2016-09-26, 11:43 PM
See that is how I thought of it too. Except the Ice Devil, the optional thing above the stat block actually calls it a ice spear, bone devil is similar too: copy and pasted below for example. They aren't like angel weapons which get their extra features from another ability of the creature, its all part of the weapon.

Ice Spear. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 10ft, one target. Hit: 14 (2d8+5) piercing damage plus 10 (3d6) cold damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, or for q minute, its speed is reduced by 10 feet; it can take either an action or a bonus action on each of its turns, not both, and it can’t take reactions. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Hooked Polearm. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10ft, one target. Hit: 17 (2d12 + 4) piercing damage. If the target is Huge or smaller creature, it is grappled (escape DC 14). Until this grapple ends, the devil can’t use its polearm on another target.

Full List of Weapons Presented this way different then those in the Player's handbook:
Ice Spear (ice devil)
Hooked Polearm (bone devil)
Pincher Staff (kuo-toa)
Silver Greatsword (githyanki)
gythka (thri-kreen)
Chatkcha (three-kreen)

lunaticfringe
2016-09-27, 01:05 AM
Don't Fiends & their possessions sort of explode/combustion/fade/turn into filth & maggots when they die?

God's helps the poor bastard who tries to get away with using a githyanki sword. No opinion on the rest

Anyway they are obviously quasi Supernatural (githyanki sword is definitely magic & the Fiend weapons)in nature. If your Warlock can convince your team to go with you to the lower planes and you complete the difficult side quest to acquire the ingredients for the binding ritual I might allow you to bond with a Fiend Weapon & make your Pact Blade. It will most definitely be earned though. Celestials might become hostile toward you. Being bound to a piece of Hell and what not.

j_spencer93
2016-09-27, 09:33 AM
Yea I think they do. I was just pointing out weapons that are actually distinct and not just copies from the Player's Handbook though lol

R.Shackleford
2016-09-27, 09:39 AM
It might be a bit more official in one of the official sage advice articles or whatever but...

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/10/08/giant-weapon-for-warlock/

j_spencer93
2016-09-27, 09:43 AM
It might be a bit more official in one of the official sage advice articles or whatever but...

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/10/08/giant-weapon-for-warlock/

Yea, the points to chapter 5 thing is what I was thinking defeated the entire argument. And there isn't a storm giants greatsword, not weapon has that name. Those i listed above actually have that name though.

R.Shackleford
2016-09-27, 10:11 AM
Yea, the points to chapter 5 thing is what I was thinking defeated the entire argument. And there isn't a storm giants greatsword, not weapon has that name. Those i listed above actually have that name though.

I don't see ice devil spear or minotaur great axe in chapter 5.

Those weapons are a product of the monster using them, not of the weapons themselves.

Until Ice Devil Spear appears in chapter 5...

j_spencer93
2016-09-27, 10:30 AM
I think your misunderstanding me. I agree you can not choose them. However, They are not the simply weapons just wielded by creatures. Compare them to the giants or angels weapons. They stand by themselves separately. Not saying choose them, but they are different.

Addaran
2016-09-27, 11:22 AM
Full List of Weapons Presented this way different then those in the Player's handbook:
Ice Spear (ice devil)
Hooked Polearm (bone devil)
Pincher Staff (kuo-toa)
Silver Greatsword (githyanki)
gythka (thri-kreen)
Chatkcha (three-kreen)

Last campaign we played, we found a githyanki silver sword. It could change shape between any "sword" type once you were attuned, counted as magic and if you were in the astral plane, you could cut the line-thingy of a creature on a crit. Not sure if the DM found the stats somewhere or homebrewed it.

Special monster weapon would make sense that you could get them (and learn proficiency via pact of blade or the weapon master feat). But it's a bit hard knowing what part of the stats are for the size or the monstrous strenght of the creature.

The hooked polearm is used by a large bone devil. It would probably do just 1d12 for a medium character. The grapple would be for large or smaller creature or not usable at all.
The ice devil's attacks already do 3d6 of cold, seems the ice spear just let him transmit his natural cold. Or possibly i'd make it a +1d6 cold damage magic weapon. For the damage, it's also large, so probably 1d8 instead of 2d8 for a medium character (like a normal spear).

j_spencer93
2016-09-27, 11:26 AM
The sword is detailed in full in the monster manual, as are the rest of the unique weapons.
And normally your right, but those above are either in their own stat block or are possessed by creatures without anything special.

Addaran
2016-09-27, 11:45 AM
The sword is detailed in full in the monster manual, as are the rest of the unique weapons.
And normally your right, but those above are either in their own stat block or are possessed by creatures without anything special.

Well, like i showed, for the two devils, they are large, so that's definitively a difference. The enlarge spell make it +1d4 damage, but in the MM or DM, they have different rules for changing the size of a monster.

Ice devil definitively have something special, it's claw, bite and tail attack do the 3d6 ice damage.

Pincer Staff is probably good since kuo-toa are medium too. Gith sword is magic but should keep the stats.
Thri-keen, i'm not familar with the weapons they use and AFB.

j_spencer93
2016-09-27, 11:49 AM
Hmmm....does the ice devil have an ability that makes its attacks deal cold damage similar to angel's abilities or is that extra damage just present?
I apologize btw, I didnt read your entire post before.
Also, I was just pointing out they were uniquely named weapons, not out of the player's handbook.

Klorox
2016-09-27, 01:15 PM
Still wondering about this myself.

Addaran
2016-09-27, 03:37 PM
Hmmm....does the ice devil have an ability that makes its attacks deal cold damage similar to angel's abilities or is that extra damage just present?
I apologize btw, I didnt read your entire post before.
Also, I was just pointing out they were uniquely named weapons, not out of the player's handbook.

The damage is just present. Probably meant it as the angel's ability but didn't bother to name it since only one monster have it.

It's true they are uniquely named but i wouldn't let a medium player use the two devil ones as is for 2dX. With a resize (especialy the ice spear if i go the magic +1d6 cold damage route) it would be usable, distinct but not overpowered.

Just checked the thri-keen, both weapons seem balanced. Someone with martial proficiency could use them (maybe ask a few short rest of practice first cause they are "exotic") and anyone could learn them with weapon master.

The kuo-toa pincer is weird. I'd probably make it Heavy (monster weapons don't mention the proprieties) since it's a reach weapon.

The kuo-toa archpriest also have a weird named weapon. Scepter who looks like a club but with +4d6 lightning damage. Nothing explain if the lightning is from the kuo-toa or the weapon is magical. Would probably way too OP though, doesn't the Sunblade only had +2d6?

j_spencer93
2016-09-27, 03:38 PM
I personally wouldnt let a warlock just choose any of them. If they beat one and took it though maybe.

Addaran
2016-09-27, 03:50 PM
I personally wouldnt let a warlock just choose any of them. If they beat one and took it though maybe.

Yeah, obviously. Until they've been able to get one and study it, i wouldn't let a warlock shape one (for the non-magical ones). Once they know a Chatkcha exist and are familiar with it, they could shape it at will. Kinda like a druid needs to have seen an animal before shaping into it.

The devil ones would make a cool reward from your fiend patron if you do a mission for him. =D

j_spencer93
2016-09-27, 03:57 PM
That would be great role playing too. Now that is a great idea.

lunaticfringe
2016-09-27, 03:58 PM
I think that's to replicate their old lighting abilities when they grouped together from previous editions in 5e. I vaguely remember Divine Spellcaster Kuo-Toa mooks could shock things if there were other Kuo-Toa with them. That theme has been refined through the editions. I would rule it doesn't deal the additional 4d6 (+1d6 at most) lightning damage in the hands of a non Kuo-Toa. If I was feeling generous or it was Vital to have said item in a later encounter. Like a you can only destroy X with Y situation.

Besides rule Zero is you can't use Monster Gear in 5e.

j_spencer93
2016-09-27, 06:05 PM
But what actually says a player can't get gear from a defeat foe. Thats always been part of D&D and I don't remember it being explicitly removed.

Addaran
2016-09-27, 06:59 PM
I think that's to replicate their old lighting abilities when they grouped together from previous editions in 5e. I vaguely remember Divine Spellcaster Kuo-Toa mooks could shock things if there were other Kuo-Toa with them. That theme has been refined through the editions. I would rule it doesn't deal the additional 4d6 (+1d6 at most) lightning damage in the hands of a non Kuo-Toa. If I was feeling generous or it was Vital to have said item in a later encounter. Like a you can only destroy X with Y situation.

Besides rule Zero is you can't use Monster Gear in 5e.

Oh yeah, now i remember that multiple kuo-toa lightning ability.

I know you're not supposed to be able to sell monster/enemy gear like we used to for half price. But i don't remember seeing anywhere that you can't use the gear. Obviously the more exotic one would have to be modified after deciding what is from the gear and what is from the creature or size. But seems logical that the fighter can loot the javelins and the great axe from the orc he just slayed.

8wGremlin
2016-09-27, 07:25 PM
Would you be able to create a pact blade of minotaur horns (from the minotaur race in UA) as they are classified as 1h melee weapons?

Horns. You are never unarmed. You are proficient with your horns, which are a melee weapon that deals 1d10 piercing damage. Your horns grant you advantage on all checks made to shove a creature, but not to avoid being shoved yourself.

Addaran
2016-09-27, 09:51 PM
Would you be able to create a pact blade of minotaur horns (from the minotaur race in UA) as they are classified as 1h melee weapons?

Pretty sure that's not intended. While mechanically it's a weapon, it's not actually a weapon separate from the minotaur.

However, it probably wouldn't break anything. I could even see it being flavorful. The OOG have weird things (horns) growing that aren't supposed to. Or some kind of demonic helmet with huge horns for the fiend one.