PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Even Usable? Check out my Ranger please

Saint GoH
2016-09-26, 07:21 PM
Hi, Playground!

After taking a few years away from D&D, I'm just starting to get back into it, and as such have joined a Pathfinder group. The group rotates DM's every few months, and we are close to a change from the DM that I have been with. The next upcoming game has already had a few sessions, and is in book 3 of Serpent's Skull.

The party is level 7, medium levels of optimization and generally Core only, with a few exceptions on a DM basis (basically if its on PFSRD its probably okay, just need to be approved). So far, it consists of a Paladin (sword and board), Monk, Wizard (Blaster) and Witch (Healing hex). I have noticed a lack of a dedicated skill monkey/trapfinder (apparently the witch almost died twice to traps?) so I figured I would start there. I'm not looking for the most optimized character, looking more into something that is interesting while still being usable.

Stats are 4d6 drop lowest, and we have to pick 1 campaign trait and 1 other trait of our choosing. So I choose Mwagni Scholar (+1 Knowledge History and Polyglot language) and Bruising Intellect (Int for Intimidate).

Level Level
Class
Feat
Notable Ability

Ranger 1
Weapon Focus: Elven Curve Blade
Falcon Animal Companion; Track; Favored Enemy: Monstrous Humanoid

UC Rogue 1

Finesse (Elven Curve Blade); Sneak Attack 1d6; Trap Finding

UC Rogue 2
Rogue Talent: Combat Feat: Dazzling Display; Boon Companion
Evasion

UC Rogue 3

Finesse; Sneak Attack 2d6; Danger Sense +1

Ranger 2
Cornugon Smash
Combat Style: 2handed (Power Attack)

Ranger 3

Endurance; Favored Terrain: Jungle

Ranger 4
Shatter Defenses
Hunter's Bond

Essentially I'm looking at around a +15ish (depending on stats) Intimidate roll every time I PA with an Elven Curve Blade, using my dexterity for attack and damage. Every other round I'm hoping to make the target flat-footed to add a little bit of sneak attack on there.

How does this look? Is it going to be at least functional? Any changes you'd recommend? Again, high levels of char-op are not required, or even played to. Very rarely will the DM alter any of the baddies out of the module, so I'm not expecting this to be a difficult campaign (Kingmaker has been a breeze).

Sayt
2016-09-26, 07:37 PM
+15 intimidate is pretty good at level 7, but I'd consider ppicking up a Maiden's Helm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/helm-maiden-s) for a +5 competence to intimidate.

There are a few things I think you should be aware of, if you aren't:
1. The Slayer hybrid class. Does ranger/rogue pretty damn well, though it doesn't get dex2damage as effortlessly as rogue, but you're two handiled power attacking anyway.
2.The menacing combat style from ultimate intrigue let's you pick up Shatter Defenses at 6 pre-req free. (You still need WF to work, unfortunately)
3. The feat Hurtful, for an extra attack per round against intimidated enemies.

Saint GoH
2016-09-26, 08:33 PM
The helm is definitely worth looking at!

And yes, I had considered Slayer. I actually kind of debated going that route, but I was looking for a dex SAD type of build (Path of War is barred, so I had to go UC rogue) and with the multiclass, I would only get a +1 from Slayer Studied Target vs a +2 against a wide variety of creatures (Favored Enemy), plus the ranger has the animal companion and a few spells tossed on there. Seemed like the better option.

I will definitely look into Menacing Combat and that Hurtful feat though, thanks for the tips!

CharonsHelper
2016-09-26, 09:41 PM
If you went Slayer you'd want to go straight Slayer rather than mixing them. You could eventually wear mithril full plate (if you burn a feat), so you wouldn't have AC issues. (If you just started with Pathfinder from 3.5 - the general rule is to stick with one class rather than the 3.5 of multi-classing like crazy.)

If you stick with the Urogue / Ranger combo, I'd suggest grabbing that 4th level in Urogue - Debilitating Strike is freakin' awesome.

Secret Wizard
2016-09-26, 10:57 PM
The greatest lie ever told is that SAD builds have a benefit over MAD builds. There is such a thing as diminishing returns and versatility rewards in this game.

Geddy2112
2016-09-27, 12:16 AM
Yeah, it looks solid.

I would drop trapfinding and danger sense for a more useful archetype. You and the monk should have no problem spotting traps(wis based, perception class skill, max ranks) and the +1 is meh. Likewise, you are going dex, with Masterwork thieves tools and max ranks disable device, you can handle disarming traps no problem. It does suck to lose out against magical traps, but the wizard and witch can dispel those, or just summon a monster to set it off. Unseen servant also works well. If you wanna keep trapfinding and toss spells you can take the trapper (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/trapper) archetype, although spells are generally better.

I suggest either the rake (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/rake), which gives you the ability to intimidate every time you land sneak attack, or drop sneak attack damage to get a bonus on intimidate or the thug (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/archetypes/paizo---rogue-archetypes/thug) which gives you a bonus round to any shaken you inflict through demoralizing, and the ability to potentially frighten an enemy. The thug can also drop a sneak attack dice to inflict sickened on an enemy, stacking on shaken for extra suffering.

Some other feats to consider are violent display and dreadful carnage, as well as improved critical on your 18-20 curved blade(or keen enchantment).

Keep in mind a fair amount of enemies are immune to fear; undead, oozes, and vermin are by far the most common. The easiest way to make things fear you are three ranks in antipaladin, but I don't think that is going to work for your AP or party...

CharonsHelper
2016-09-27, 07:09 AM
The greatest lie ever told is that SAD builds have a benefit over MAD builds. There is such a thing as diminishing returns and versatility rewards in this game.

Arguably it's overstated - but it's still true all other things being equal.

Is it worth going far out of your way to be SAD? Maybe not.