PDA

View Full Version : Planescape 5e campaign

NecroDancer
2016-09-26, 08:24 PM
I will be running a 5e planescape campaign in a few months so I have lots of time to prepare. Can the playground recommend any planescape campaigns that are high level (7+) and are easy to convert to 5e? Or barring that some good planescape sourcebooks?

JAL_1138
2016-09-26, 08:45 PM
I will be running a 5e planescape campaign in a few months so I have lots of time to prepare. Can the playground recommend any planescape campaigns that are high level (7+) and are easy to convert to 5e? Or barring that some good planescape sourcebooks?

You'll likely have to rebuild all the encounters anyway. 2e monsters don't really convert well or easily (in my opinion, at least), and the level ranges don't translate perfectly either. So don't worry about the level range of the 2e source. Rebuilding encounters in a module is a bit of a pain since not having to build them is part of the draw of a module in the first place, but 5e encounters aren't too tricky to build. One exception--if fighting small numbers of monsters (e.g., one or two strong ones), you can often just drop the 5e equivalent from the MM straight in. When higher numbers enter the mix, you need to rebuild the encounter, because larger numbers of monsters, even mooks, in 5e can be very strong.

The trouble with Planescape is that most of the sourcebooks are fantastic but really hard to come by. They might be in digital form on DMsguild now though. Start with the first box set, I'd say; it gives some decent introduction and overview. There are supplements for the planes of law, chaos, good and evil that are all nifty, too, and some useful ones for Sigil itself.

It's a lower level module, but Tales from the Infinite Staircase is really good, and is largely nonlinear so it can be run in practically any order or even in bits and pieces as a side-story to other campaigns. The Great Modron March is also really good, but a bit linear.

I've actually never played or run Dead Gods, but I hear good things. Although I'd say avoid Faction War, and don't touch Die Vecna Die with a 10ft pole.

EDIT: If you do want to convert monsters directly, this guide is a bit more thorough than WOTC's is, I think: https://docs.google.com/document/d/18JxZubIphrP4lpIDnerVztjHgp-qAVLHURmOCJk06BM/edit

mgshamster
2016-09-27, 07:11 AM
Well... :)

You're in luck!

I've converted The Great Modron March, which goes from levels 1 to 10. And Dead Gods which is written for levels 6-9, but really can be played at any level with minimal effort.

Both conversion documents can be found in my signature and on the DMs Guild.

For things that haven't been converted, there's some individual planescape modules and a few adventure collection books. Well of Worlds has a few higher level ones I can convert for you if you like.

The original 2e books can all be found on the DMs Guild as well, except for Dead Gods. You'll have to get creative to find that one.

NecroDancer
2016-09-27, 07:33 AM
Well... :)

You're in luck!

I've converted The Great Modron March, which goes from levels 1 to 10. And Dead Gods which is written for levels 6-9, but really can be played at any level with minimal effort.

Both conversion documents can be found in my signature and on the DMs Guild.

For things that haven't been converted, there's some individual planescape modules and a few adventure collection books. Well of Worlds has a few higher level ones I can convert for you if you like.

The original 2e books can all be found on the DMs Guild as well, except for Dead Gods. You'll have to get creative to find that one.

Thanks! Do you need the original 2e modules to use this?

mgshamster
2016-09-27, 08:46 AM
Yes, you do need the original.

With these conversion documents of older adventures, we cannot legally remake them as fans. We can only publish a "bare bones" conversion that requires you to already own original adventure.

Good news, though! Unlike other publishers of old conversion documents, my planescape conversions are free! Its "pay what you want" and I only ask for a small donation of a few quarters. But you're under no obligation to pay anything if you don't want to. Just enter 0 in the payment field. :)

NecroDancer
2016-09-27, 09:14 AM
Yes, you do need the original.

With these conversion documents of older adventures, we cannot legally remake them as fans. We can only publish a "bare bones" conversion that requires you to already own original adventure.

Good news, though! Unlike other publishers of old conversion documents, my planescape conversions are free! Its "pay what you want" and I only ask for a small donation of a few quarters. But you're under no obligation to pay anything if you don't want to. Just enter 0 in the payment field. :)

Awsome! One of my friends use to play 2e he probably has a copy of dead gods laying around.

Plaguescarred
2016-09-27, 10:19 AM
There is Dead Gods, a PLANESCAPE adventure for 4-6 characters of level 6-9 that could work.

There's even a free 5E conversion PDF on DM's Guild http://www.dmsguild.com/product/185801/Dead-Gods--5th-Edition-Conversion

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/76/TSR2631_-_Dead_Gods.jpg

NecroDancer
2016-09-27, 12:32 PM
My friend didn't have "dead gods" but he did have "tales from the infinite staircase" and he urged me to try it out

JAL_1138
2016-09-27, 12:51 PM
My friend didn't have "dead gods" but he did have "tales from the infinite staircase" and he urged me to try it out

It's a great module. Goes to a lot of weird and interesting locations of quite a few planes, really gives good feel for how planar adventures outside Sigil could work. And since it's nonlinear after the first bit, the players shouldn't feel as railroaded as with many modules. It could be scaled up to higher level easily by rebuilding the encounters. The other nifty thing about it is that it takes nonviolent solutions into account--there's not many sections that strictly require combat to resolve. I suggest using Milestone XP instead of combat XP to help with that, too.

NecroDancer
2016-09-27, 12:55 PM
It's a great module. Goes to a lot of weird and interesting locations of quite a few planes, really gives good feel for how planar adventures outside Sigil could work. And since it's nonlinear after the first bit, the players shouldn't feel as railroaded as with many modules. It could be scaled up to higher level easily by rebuilding the encounters. The other nifty thing about it is that it takes nonviolent solutions into account--there's not many sections that strictly require combat to resolve. I suggest using Milestone XP instead of combat XP to help with that, too.

This is exactly what I was hoping for

Falcon X
2016-09-27, 02:38 PM
There is Dead Gods, a PLANESCAPE adventure for 4-6 characters of level 6-9 that could work.

There's even a free 5E conversion PDF on DM's Guild http://www.dmsguild.com/product/185801/Dead-Gods--5th-Edition-Conversion

For the record, this is a link to mghamster's conversion.

If you decide to do Tales of the Infinite Staircase, which has a great reputation (as do most Planescape modules), you should probably cannibalize as much conversion info from mghamster as you can. He offers it free.

mgshamster
2016-09-27, 04:35 PM
I can also start working on a Tales conversion.

NecroDancer
2016-09-27, 06:32 PM
I can also start working on a Tales conversion.

I'd buy it

mgshamster
2016-09-28, 06:55 AM
You're not the first person to request it. It's been next on my list, but I've been putting it off because I can't post it to the DM Guild per request of WotC and RPGnow.

So it will go on Google docs. As soon as I'm done with chapter 1, I'll post it up as an in-progress work so you can use it immediately.

Meanwhile, what do you know about planescape? Have you ever read any of the source material or played in a planes game before?

Falcon X
2016-09-28, 09:46 AM
You're not the first person to request it. It's been next on my list, but I've been putting it off because I can't post it to the DM Guild per request of WotC and RPGnow.

Hold up. Are they restricting you on all conversions, or very specifically that one module?
- The question is, should we speculate as to why they are protecting that module?

NecroDancer
2016-09-28, 10:06 AM

So it will go on Google docs. As soon as I'm done with chapter 1, I'll post it up as an in-progress work so you can use it immediately.

Meanwhile, what do you know about planescape? Have you ever read any of the source material or played in a planes game before?

I know about the fractions and the lady of pain and I also read a blog about a groups planescape campaign

mgshamster
2016-09-28, 10:12 AM
Hold up. Are they restricting you on all conversions, or very specifically that one module?
- The question is, should we speculate as to why they are protecting that module?

Any adventure or campaign that is not in the following categories cannot be put on the DM Guild:

Forgotten Realms
Ravenloft
Generic Setting

Planescape does not easily fit into those three categories.

After a conversation with them, they're allowing me to keep the two products I have on the site, but have requested that I "be mindful of the rules when posting conversion documents in the future."

I have taken that to mean that they are politely requesting that I no longer put up any planescape material until WotC releases a planes product.

So in the meantime, I'll be putting any future conversion documents on Google docs.

I can also improve the previous documents I've made by adding artwork and changing the formatting, but the little feedback I've received so far strongly appreciates the "no frills" format I've chosen. Makes it easy to read and easy to print.