PDA

View Full Version : Japonese dragon in 5e

Ryuu Hayato
2016-09-26, 08:31 PM
I want to know which dragons represent better japonese's culture dragons: Silver Dragon or Bronze Dragon? :smallannoyed:

DracoKnight
2016-09-26, 08:39 PM
I want to know which dragons represent better japonese's culture dragons: Silver Dragon or Bronze Dragon? :smallannoyed:

My DM always uses gold for Asian dragons.

Axorfett12
2016-09-26, 09:58 PM
I also would use gold dragons. For a good example just look at the picture in the monster manual. Heavy Asian influence.

Gastronomie
2016-09-26, 10:20 PM
Do not use the MM dragons.

Homebrew your own.

The first thing you need to understand is that in Asian culture, dragons generally do not breath fire. They're sorta like the gods of the sky, and normally represent "water", "rain", and "storms". They don't have wings but they can fly. In China they also represent the authority of the emperor, but that probably had to do with how the First Emperor was the guy who solved the problem with floods, and proved himself to be the "ruler of water".

Asian dragons should have innate spellcasting with Control Weather, abilities pertaining to wind and water, and perhaps a lightning breath if you want.

Knaight
2016-09-26, 10:58 PM
The term "Japanese dragon" only exists because of a willingness to use a very generous definition of the term "dragon" when translating. They're a completely distinct entity, and I wouldn't use any of them.

rollingForInit
2016-09-27, 08:40 AM
The term "Japanese dragon" only exists because of a willingness to use a very generous definition of the term "dragon" when translating. They're a completely distinct entity, and I wouldn't use any of them.

Still, if you want something that's epicly powerful with similar abilities, the dragon is a good base anyway. You can reflavour appearances and change the breath weapons. Dragons already have a variant rule for adding spellcasting.

Falcon X
2016-09-27, 02:46 PM
Silver Dragon, in my opinion.

However, I would homebrew based on 3.5e precedence. Lung Dragons (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lung_dragon) are a thing.
Just change the look and breath weapon type to match the Lung list and you have it.