PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Creative use of Druid form/Polymorph

Cutter
2016-09-27, 08:23 AM
So.....I like to think out of the box. And many times it's very handy as our DM is a cruel and evil SOB.
(short story...we're fighting through the nine levels of hell with 5 death knights on our heels and because of this constant flight we basically we get a long rest every 8 games.....and we just hit level 11.)

/sigh

To top it off, we have now fought/encountered 4 ancient evil dragons.....of which we have had to defeat/guile our way to free them from their prisons so they'll help us when we finally get a chance to fight the big bads.

At one point, when we encountered the Green dragon he was in chains....could only fly up or down.

......so I had the Bard (who was flying) blink me 200 feet up, then I druid shaped into a giant whale and proceeded to do a lot of falling damage on the dragon's head.

Took a LOT of googling. How much does a whale weigh? What rough velocity would he reach by the end of 150 feet....thereby extrapolating how much falling damage would I do if I successfully landed on him (which I did with a lucky roll).
I found some site which mentioned something like 1d6 damage for every 10(?) feet or so.....so we just house ruled an 8000 pound whale from 200 feet up would top out at what I think I found to be the max 20d6 bludgeoning damage.

It was a pretty fun night all around.

Last session we entered an ice cave...fought some dire beasts and air elementals...then horned devils (ugh)....and when the dust clears we find some cultist bodies that seem dissolved.....so our Ranger uses her senses and confirms a dragon is near. So we're thinking the Black is probably in the cave...hidden out of sight above.
(we've already fought the white)

There are two giant stone pillars in the middle of the room that ascend into the darkness. I'm currently an earth elemental, and before I morphed for the fight I summoned an earth elemental (who only has like, 35 hp left).

My question is.....I think with the stone pillars i'll have the opportunity to somewhat re-create the 'Hitchhikers Whale falling' moment again.....earth glide up the stone, then jump out and attack from above....
........but for the life of me I can't find how much an earth elemental weighs.

Whale weight was relatively easy via google.

Anyone house rule this in the past or can point me to a link which would tell me roughly how much i'm looking at? Or maybe thoughts on how much damage you think a falling earth elemental would do at say, 150 feet up? Are we safe in just house-ruling the 20d6 damage again given these rough variables?

My thinking is I send my summoned elemental up one pillar, I go up the other...and when the Dragon descends upon the party (my friends who I lovingly refer to as 'bait') we both cannonball it again and hope for the best (if he lands or gets close to the ground that is).

:p

(given the mobility this next dragon has I doubt its going to work a second time....but i'd like to be prepared)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SharkForce
2016-09-27, 11:39 AM
isn't falling damage for *anything* from 200 feet up 20d6?

lunaticfringe
2016-09-27, 11:50 AM
Maybe change the damage die based on the size of the creature Projectile? A tiny creature falling into a Huge creature would probably do less damage than another huge creature. Idk, just a thought.