PDA

View Full Version : I need to figure out the price of a weapon

Nosta
2016-09-27, 10:59 AM
Kaorti Resin Elven thinBlade ? any one got an idea what the price of this item would be?
I want it to be A Flaming(Burst-surge) with a lesser Energy assault fire weapon crystal

thoroughlyS
2016-09-27, 01:54 PM
Let's start with the basics:
An elven thinblade sword (RotW p. 165) is listed for 100 gp.

The web article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) states that it costs a kaorti XP equal to 50% of the masterwork price of a weapon when creating a magical ribbon weapon. So it would cost the kaorti (100 gp + 300 gp) * 0.5 = 200 xp to create a ribbon elven thinblade sword that can be enhanced.

Using a rule of thumb (http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/41105/general-gold-value-of-xp) for gp costs per XP cost, this unenhanced weapon would cost 1000 gp.

A +1 flaming burst special ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#flamingBurst) adds 18,000 gp to the cost, with flaming surge (DMG2 p.258) adding 2,000 gp more. The lesser crystal of fire assault (MIC p.64) adds a final 3,000 gp, while not technically being a part of the weapon.

In total, your +1 flaming burst flaming surge ribbon elven thinblade sword with a lesser crystal of fire assault will have a market price of 24,000 gp. I'm gonna call it the Firecracker.

+1 attack
1d8 + 1 piercing damage
18-20/x4 critical
3 lbs.

The wielder can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply his Dexterity modifier instead of his Strength modifier to attack rolls with the firecracker.
Characters proficient with the elven thinblade may treat the firecracker as a rapier or a longsword for the purpose of any of the following feats: Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, Weapon Focus, and Weapon Specialization.
Flaming: Upon command (standard action), the firecracker is sheathed in fire. The fire does not harm the wielder. The effect remains until another command is given. The firecracker deals an extra 1d6 points of fire damage on a successful hit.
Burst: The firecracker also explodes with flame upon striking a successful critical hit. The fire does not harm the wielder. In addition to the extra fire damage from the flaming ability, the firecracker deals an extra 3d10 points of fire damage on a successful critical hit. Even if the flaming ability is not active, the weapon still deals its extra fire damage on a successful critical hit.
Surge: On a successful melee attack, the wielder can make a command as a swift action to cause the firecracker to burst into flames, which deal an extra 2d6 points of fire damage to the target. This fire does not harm the wielder. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to the wielder’s Constitution bonus.

The lesser crystal of fire assault attached to the firecracker adds an extra 1d6 points of fire damage to the weapon’s damage. This bonus damage doesn’t stack with any energy damage of the same type dealt by the weapon.
Note: The firecracker requires its own Exotic Weapon Proficiency feat to use, which is separate from the Exotic Weapon Proficiency for an elven thinblade sword. This does not mean a character requires both feats, they only need the EWP for the firecracker to use it effectively. The only reason to take EWP elven thinblade sword is if they want to treat it as a rapier/longsword for other feats they have.
Note: The lesser crystal of fire assault, doesn't really add much to the weapon anywhere except its price tag. As is, it allows the firecracker to deal + 1d6 fire damage without being on fire. It's nice because it can be moved to a different weapon, but I'm unsure if that's intentional. I would recommend either dropping it, or bumping it to greater for +3,000 gp.

Mr Adventurer
2016-09-27, 03:46 PM
If you bump the crystal to Greater then you also need to improve the enhancement on the sword to +3.