PDA

View Full Version : How did you come up with your name?

Grand Arbiter
2016-09-27, 11:41 AM
As in the title, and referring to your name here on the forum.

The short version of mine:
I was pondering some details for a self-made D&D campaign setting (still in the works), and decided I wanted a dragon wizard/mage/sorcerer as one of the characters that players may meet. Like Elminster or Mordenkainen in their respective settings. One of the few details I had was that he would be really into books and have a vast library...

Dragon names are usually long and complex, but I wanted something short that others could call him easily.
I eventually decided to use a word I had learned in my Italian classes at school - Libro (book).

When I signed up for the forum, I decided to adopt his moniker as my own.

That's my story, how about yours?

Murk
2016-09-27, 11:55 AM
Murk is very close to my real life name (take a guess), and was luckily still available on this site. Every now and then I encounter the chance site where someone else is called Murk already and then I find myself in the weird position of having to pick another name.

It doesn't mean anything - or, at least, I didn't mean for it to mean anything. Wikipedia tells me there's a band, a movie and a tv character named Murk, though. I like to think I was first and inspired them.

Asmodean_
2016-09-27, 12:03 PM
Originally, Yoshi (from mario), Boy (gender), 13 (favourite number)
But I've grown up since then so it's Asmodean (of the Chosen) _ (underscore because Asmodean was already taken)

A.A.King
2016-09-27, 12:11 PM
The name A.A.King should be read as Alpha Alpha King (though that is obviouslu to much of a pain to write out every single time) and I like to think it is very obvious as to how it came about: I'm the Alpha among Alphas, I am King.

The real explanation is that there are two prominent A's in my real name in a somewhat unique way so I chose to focus on that AND I am King.

I have different nicknames across different boards depending on rules and availability (sometimes for example they do not allow for the . and AAKing without dots looks pretty silly to me) but the King bit is a consistent factor. (Apart from the one place where I decided to go with Monarch instead, you need to have a little variety in your live after all.)

nyjastul69
2016-09-27, 12:22 PM
My name is a portmanteau of 2 NPC names from classic D&D modules. It was the name of one of my first D&D characters. I used it on the first board I ever signed up for, it also required a number, so I used my birth year. I figured I keep for sake of consistency, and I figured it'd always be available.

DataNinja
2016-09-27, 12:34 PM
Well, for me, Shadow came about because the first video game I ever had to choose a username for, the character had black armour, so my youthful self decided on the oh-so-imaginative moniker of Shadow. Clearly, there would be a lot of Shadows, though, and I would have to distinguish myself so, well... Dark is essentially what you get when you take the vowels out of my name.

So, there you have it. The not-interesting story behind my username. And, thankfully, it isn't taken too often. At least, less often than you would think.

Kid Jake
2016-09-27, 12:35 PM
My family had a rich tradition trolling people back when the CB radio was about the only way to do it on a mass scale. My grandfather always used the handle Uncle Jake, when my mom started everyone called her Baby Jake no matter what she tried to go by, and so when I started talking smack to truckers I went ahead and called myself Kid Jake.

Always thought it sounded cool, so I kept it.

Iethloc
2016-09-27, 12:41 PM
I literally just strung together some letters to make up this name, back when I first used it in a fantasy MUD. I've used it ever since, and obviously it's never taken.

I've been asked how it's pronounced a lot, but I've always accepted pretty much any pronunciation. It's not like I made it with being pronounceable in mind.

Red Fel
2016-09-27, 01:03 PM
When I was younger, I used a naming convention in just about any game I would play - tabletop, MMO, MU*, you name it. (See what I did there?) My orcs were named Felgrim; my knights were named Felric; my barbarian was Felnorg and my tinkerer was Felrika. And so forth. For a time, I also established an online persona using this naming convention; I still use it from time to time. No, you don't get to know that one.

I came here and decided to make a clean break from that particular persona. It had some baggage. So I took my usual naming prefix, slapped on an adjective, and went from there. I picked Red because I like the color, and because it's not a terrible prefix. (Ever play a JRPG? You'll frequently see an advanced version of a monster or boss X, named "Red X," like Red Goblin, Red Balloon, etc. It's a thing.)

The funny thing is, at the time, I had no intention of establishing myself as the premiere authority on all things Evil. That sort of evolved organically. And once it did, as it happened, the name became a matter of kismet - Red Fel is a perfect name for a perfectly diabolical sort.

Comrade
2016-09-27, 01:28 PM
I just thought Comrade made for a pretty rad username.

BWR
2016-09-27, 01:57 PM
I didn't choose mine, my parents did.

factotum
2016-09-27, 03:40 PM
I just like the word. "Factotum" in English means, roughly, "jack of all trades", and I like to see myself like that. Note it has nothing to do with the D&D character class, which didn't exist back when I was playing D&D!

Rogar Demonblud
2016-09-27, 11:03 PM
Mine is from the character I played the longest (6 years). Kind of wish we could go back to that game and try to finish it, or at least try to figure out what's going on with the GM's byzantine plot.

2016-09-27, 11:15 PM
I'm an anonymous avatar of Vecna, evil god of secrets!

...it seemed like a cool idea when I came up with it in 8th grade. Shut up.

KuReshtin
2016-09-28, 02:47 AM
Mine is a curse word in a made up language in a series of books.
I used to go by another name online for a long time until I realised it was widely used all over the place, so I decided to go with this one instead as there's usually never anyone who uses it.

Burnscar
2016-09-28, 05:31 AM
I came here and decided to make a clean break from that particular persona. It had some baggage. So I took my usual naming prefix, slapped on an adjective, and went from there. I picked Red because I like the color, and because it's not a terrible prefix. (Ever play a JRPG? You'll frequently see an advanced version of a monster or boss X, named "Red X," like Red Goblin, Red Balloon, etc. It's a thing.)

Obviously, it's because the red ones go faster.

Quild
2016-09-28, 07:16 AM
I started reading Forgotten Realms (and obviously Drizzt's story) around the same time I needed a pseudo for the internet.

I found a list of drow names and looked at those starting with the same letter than my first name.
Out of "Quertus", "Quevven" and "Quild", I liked the last one better even if it's not the closest of my name.

The pronunciaiton is however an issue.

I believe english people mostly pronounce it "K-wild" and I like to use "Kwild" for second characters. I usually pronounce it this way when playing with english players.

But French tend to pronounce "Killed". I don't like it. I like "Kou-ill-d"

That being said, I also suck with phonetics, so maybe you don't get it :smallbiggrin:

lunaticfringe
2016-09-28, 08:39 AM
Murk is very close to my real life name (take a guess), and was luckily still available on this site. Every now and then I encounter the chance site where someone else is called Murk already and then I find myself in the weird position of having to pick another name.

Wow, I never met a Mork before. So were you parents huge fans of Mork & Mindy?

My first 2 name choices were taken. I had just recently heard the quote "Every movement has a Lunatic Fringe." Which is actually a bit of a misquote. Teddy Roosevelt wrote: Every Reform Movement has a Lunatic Fringe. Anyway it stuck in my head, it was odd, Unique, and most of all worked as a username.

Hamste
2016-09-28, 09:29 AM
A site I wanted to make an account on was relatively large, didn't delete account names to allow reuse, allowed multiple accounts and would be weird if numbers were used. As such every name I tried was taken and I couldn't just add numbers. So I decided to choose a random word and shorten it by one letter till I found a good name. After three tries (as well as a few I scrapped from not looking right) I got Hamste from hamster (in case you are curious I hate hamsters but the name looked good to me). I liked it enough and it was a very uncommon name so I kept it.

Corlindale
2016-09-28, 10:06 AM
When I first played Neverwinter Nights, I needed to come up with a name for my Sorceror's raven familiar. Corlindale just popped up in my head, but I ended up liking it so much that I've used it as an online alias ever since.

When I was later involved in mod-making, it also became the name of a hero character in the lore of Fall from Heaven, a mod for Civilization IV. In that universe, he is a wizard who became a pacifist and joined the peaceful, scholarly faction in the mod's universe, after seeing the destruction his powers wrought on civilians in wartime.

Lemmy
2016-09-28, 10:10 AM
Couldn't think of a good username, so I looked around for inspiration and saw a Motörhead album.
:smallcool:

2D8HP
2016-09-28, 10:13 AM
2D8HP is from the hit points that were rolled for a first level Ranger in 1970's Dungeons & Dragons.

To elaborate the extra hit die was a very big deal.
To quote the original article,

1975 issue of the Strategic Review (http://annarchive.com/files/Strv102.pdf)

RANGERS
AN EXCITING NEW DUNGEONS & DRAGONS CLASS
By Joe Fischer
Rangers are a sub-class of Fighting Men, similar in many ways to
the new sub-class Paladins, for they must always remain Lawful or lose
all the benefits they gained (except, of course, experience as a fighter).
Strength is their Prime Requisite, but they must also have both Intelli-
gence and Wisdom scores of at least 12 each, and a Constitution of at
least 15. The statistics regarding Rangers are:
Rangers Experience Points Hit Dice* SpelI Ability**
Runner 0 2 Nil
Strider 2500 3 Nil
Scout 5000 4 Nil
Guide 12000 5 Nil
Pathfinder 25000 6 Nil
Warder 50000 7 Nil
Guardian 100000 8 Nil
Ranger-Knight 175000 9 Cleric, 1st Level
Ranger-Lord 275000 10 +Magic-User, 1st Level
Ranger-Lord, 10th 550000 10 +2 +Cleric 2nd Level
Ranger-Lord, 11th 825000 10 +4 +Magic-User 2nd Level
Ranger-Lord, 12th 11OOOOO 10 +6 +Cleric 3rd Level
Ranger-Lord, 13th 1375000 10 +8 +Magic-User 3rd Level
*either with the standard system or the alternate system which
allows fighters 8-sided dice
**spell progression is as follows: when only 1st Level are usable,
then only one spell is usable, when 2nd Level spells can be
taken then the R-L gets 2 1st Level and 1 2nd Level, and at
3rd Level it is 3, 2 and 1 respectively.
Until they attain the 8th level (Ranger-Knight) characters in the
Ranger class are relatively weak, for they have a number of restrictions
placed upon them, These restrictions are:
- They may own only that which they can carry with them, and
excess treasure or goods must be donated to a worthy cause.
- They may not hire any men-at-arms or other servants or aides
of any kind whatsoever.
- Only two of the class may operate together.
Advantages which accrue to low-level Rangers are:
+They receive no regular bonuses for advancement due to ability,
but they automatically gain 4 experience points for every 3 earned.
+They have the ability to track the path of most creatures when out-
doors, and even in dungeons they are often able to follow:
Monster’s Action Regular Needs to Track
goes down a normal passage 01-65
goes through a normal door 01-55
goes through a trap door 01 - 50
goes up/down a chimney 01 - 40
goes through a secret door 01-3The ranger so tracking must have observed the monster no more than
six turns previously when in dungeon situations. On the outdoor he has
a basic 90% chance of following a trail, with a 10% reduction for every
day old the signs are.
Because of their ability to track Rangers also are difficult to surprise,
requiring a roll of 1 instead of 1 or 2.
All Rangers gain a special advantage when fighting against monsters
of the Giant Class (Kobolds - Giants). For each level they have gained
they add +1 to their damage die against these creatures, so a 1st Level
Ranger adds +1, a 2nd Level +2, and so on.
Upon reaching the 8th and higher levels, Rangers begin to accrue a
number of advantages besides the use of spelIs already indicated.
+From 2-24 followers will join the character as soon as 9th level is
attained by him. These followers are detailed later.
+Ranger-Knights are able to employ magic items which heal or cure
disease, including scrolls.
+Ranger-Lords are able to employ all devices which deal with
Clairvoyance, Clairaudience, ESP, Telepathy, Telekenesis, and Tele-
portation, including scrolls.
Drawbacks which apply to the 8th and higher levels are:
-The 4 experience points for every 3 earned bonus is lost.
- Followers who are killed cannot be replaced, although regular
mercenaries can be.
-As already mentioned, if a Ranger turns Neutral or Chaotic he
loses all benefits of the class, becoming an ordinary Fighting Man.
Special Followers: For each of the 2-24 followers the Ranger gains
a dice roll must be made to determine what the follower is. Further
dice rolls to determine type, class, and/or level will also be necessary.
Type Class (Men Only)
01-60 Man 01 - 50 Fighter
61 - 75 Elf or Half-Elf 51 - 75 Cleric
76 - 90 Dwarf 75 - 95 Magic-User
91 - 99 2 Hobbits 95 - 00 Thief
00 Extraordinary (see below)
Multi-Class (Elves Only) Level of Ability (Roll for each)
01 - 50 Fighter 01 - 50 2nd Level
51 - 75 Fighter/Magic-User 51 - 65 3rd Level
76 - 90 Magic-User 66 - 80 4th Level
91 00 Fighter/Magic-User/Thief - 81 - 90 5th Level
91 - 99 6th Level
00 7th Level
Extraordinary Followers
01 - 20 Ranger, 3rd - 7th Level
21 - 40 Lawful Werebear
41 55 2 Unicorns -
65 - 70 Pegasus
71 80 Hill Giant -
81 - 90 Stone Giant
91 - 99 Golden Dragon
00 Take two rolls ignoring any 00’s which might come up
Where not otherwise specified Rangers perform as Fighting Men.
They may build strongholds. In all cases the Ranger will prefer Lawful
to Neutral types.
"either with the standard system or the alternate which allows fighters 8-sided dice"
In the rules from "the little brown books" that were in the original Dungeons & Dragons box all PC's rolled 1d6 for their first level hit points (and all weapons did 1d6 damage).
The 1975 Greyhawk supplement's "alternative system" reduced Magic-User's to d4's, and increased Fighting-men's to d8's.

My beloved "Advanced" Dungeons and Dragons, which was a completely different game!
"No royalties for you Arneson! Mine all Mine! Bwahahaha!
Wait, what's that Blume?"
:smallwink:
further increased Fighters to d10's with the 1978 PHB, and left Rangers with d8's but 2d8 at first level!
I remember reading Gygax lambast lenient "Monty Haul" DM's, and the guys who I played with took it to hart and 1st level was lethal! It was rare for PC's to survive to make it to second level.
The rules had you role 3d6 in order for your PC's "characteristics" which went in order of class introduction:

Strength (minimum 9 to be a Fighter)

Intelligence (minimum 9 to be a Magic User)

Wisdom (minimum 9 to be a Cleric)

Dexterity (minimum 9 to be a Thief)

Constitution (minimum 15 to be a Ranger), and

Charisma (minimum 17 to be a Paladin)

(Note: Strangely, while I've been studying 5e DnD for two years now, I can hardly remember the rules, but oDnD and 1e ADnD? More than 30 years later the rules are still crystal clear. Funny that.)
While it was strongly suggested that you let the "stats" decide what class your PC should be, I saw guys decide to play Fighters, just so they had a better chance at more hit points, even though Strength was the lowest "characteristic".
But it was about more than hit points, the Ranger was so infused Awesome! they could fight like a Fighter, have unique skills, like a Thief, and unique powers like a Paladin!
Also back then, except for fairy tales and science fiction, apart from maybe "The Hobbit", and a couple of "Conan" short stories, my vision of what a Dungeons and Dragons hero should be was largely shaped by the hero's in movies like the Ranger-like Robin Hood in
The Adventures of Robin Hood (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ist_bZLP9u4)

Or "Strider" from the 1978 cartoon version of
The Lord of the Rings (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d8X5Bvlk85I).

Note: If there's any doubt that Aragorn was an inspiration for the Ranger class, "Strider" was the Ranger second level "title" (a first level Fighter had "Veteran" as a level "title").
BTW "Pathfinder" was a 5th level Ranger in the original S.R. article, and a 7th level Ranger in the '78 AD&D PHB.

nyjastul69
2016-09-28, 10:13 AM
Wow, I never met a Mork before. So were you parents huge fans of Mork & Mindy?

My first 2 name choices were taken. I had just recently heard the quote "Every movement has a Lunatic Fringe." Which is actually a bit of a misquote. Teddy Roosevelt wrote: Every Reform Movement has a Lunatic Fringe. Anyway it stuck in my head, it was odd, Unique, and most of all worked as a username.

I can't help but hear this (https://youtu.be/uqUa_G1h3pw) when I see your username.

tensai_oni
2016-09-28, 10:17 AM
I am very humble and totally not a fan of (certain aspects of) Japanese culture and mythology.

Ceaon
2016-09-28, 10:33 AM
The character I played in my first D&D campaign was a human raised by elves. I decided to "elvenize" a human name and I chose the human name Keen, after my then-favorite game character Commander Keen. I decided the elves called him Ceaon. The character and campaign were a great success. The name stuck as the nick for almost all my forum-related and gaming-related activities.

2D8HP
2016-09-28, 10:50 AM
Couldn't think of a good username, so I looked around for inspiration and saw a Motörhead album.
:smallcool:

Motörhead!

:biggrin:

As a youth I would announce "the next song is Motorhead, by Motörhead from the album Motörhead! when I DJ'd at radio station KALX

And Motörhead is linked to OOTS through:

Hawkwind!

As OOTS takes place in a Dungeons & Dragons world and, Law/Chaos started out as the only axis of D&D alignment back in 1974.The literary antecedents of Law and Chaos were Poul Anderson (Three Hearts and Three Lions) and Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melinbourne,
Having read some Michael Moorcock, I'm also pretty sure the Lawful vs. Chaotic axis exists because Gary Gygax didn't understand the concept of satire or the possibility that the reader was supposed to disapprove of the protagonist. and at the beginning of 1975, Hawkwind recorded the album Warrior on the Edge of Time in collaboration with Michael Moorcock, loosely based on his Eternal Champion figure. However, during a North America tour in May, Lemmy was caught in possession of something crossing the border from the USA into Canada. And Lemmy was jailed, forcing the band to cancel some shows. Fed up with his erratic behaviour, the band fired the bass player Lemmy replacing him with their long-standing friend and former Pink Fairies guitarist Paul Rudolph. Lemmy then teamed up with another Pink Fairies guitarist, Larry Wallis, to form Motörhead, named after the last song he had written for Hawkwind.

*woo*

See the links?

Anyway:

Motörhead originally by Hawkwind

Sunrise, wrong side of another day,
Sky high and six thousand miles away,
Don't know how long I've been awake,
Wound up in an amazing state,
Can't get enough,
And you know it's righteous stuff,
Goes up like prices at Christmas,
Motorhead, you can call me Motorhead, alright

Brain dead, total amnesia,
Get some mental anesthesia,
Don't move, I'll shut the door and kill the lights,
And if I can't be wrong I could be right,
All good clean fun,
Have another stick of gum,
Man, you look better already,
Motorhead, remember me now Motorhead, alright

Fourth day, five day marathon,
We're moving like a parallelogram,
Don't move, I'll shut the door and kill the lights,
I guess I'll see you all on the ice,
I should be tired,
And all I am is wired,
Ain't felt this good for an hour,
Motorhead, remember me now, Motorhead alright

Songwriter: Ian Kilmister ("Lemmy")

Just so METAL!!!

:amused:

Peelee
2016-09-28, 11:09 AM
First initial, last name. Friends have been calling me that for decades. It's such a common name that I am virtually un-Google-able, even with specifics like city and age, so I don't mind bandying the nickname version of it about.

Funnily enough, even the username is more common that I'd have thought. There's at least 4 other Peelees on the internets that I know of, though I have that name on most of the best accounts and sites (at least, of the ones i care about).

The name A.A.King should be read as Alpha Alpha King (though that is obviouslu to much of a pain to write out every single time) and I like to think it is very obvious as to how it came about: I'm the Alpha among Alphas, I am King.

The real explanation is that there are two prominent A's in my real name in a somewhat unique way so I chose to focus on that AND I am King.

I have different nicknames across different boards depending on rules and availability (sometimes for example they do not allow for the . and AAKing without dots looks pretty silly to me) but the King bit is a consistent factor. (Apart from the one place where I decided to go with Monarch instead, you need to have a little variety in your live after all.)

Huh. I always thought that was a B. B. King reference.

MrZJunior
2016-09-28, 11:35 AM
When my father was a young foreign service officer he was the desk officer for Singapore. While in this position Singapore and the US had a big row. Apparently one of the political officers at the embassy was getting too chummy with the members of the opposition who he was assigned to liaise with. He was expelled from the country and Lee Juan Yew, founder and first Prime Minister of Singapore, made a speech in Parliament denouncing a supposed plot within the State Department to depose the government. This plot consisted of three people, Mr X, Mr Y, and Mr Z. Mr Z was described as a young man just starting out in his career who had been tricked into taking part in this plot by his older superiors. Clearly this was meant to be my father.

A.A.King
2016-09-28, 11:45 AM
Huh. I always thought that was a B. B. King reference.

Nop, in fact I hadn't heard of that guy until long after I chose this particular monniker so for all I care he's a reference to me ;)

Asmodean_
2016-09-28, 12:10 PM
I started reading Forgotten Realms (and obviously Drizzt's story) around the same time I needed a pseudo for the internet.

I found a list of drow names and looked at those starting with the same letter than my first name.
Out of "Quertus", "Quevven" and "Quild", I liked the last one better even if it's not the closest of my name.

The pronunciaiton is however an issue.

I believe english people mostly pronounce it "K-wild" and I like to use "Kwild" for second characters. I usually pronounce it this way when playing with english players.

But French tend to pronounce "Killed". I don't like it. I like "Kou-ill-d"

That being said, I also suck with phonetics, so maybe you don't get it :smallbiggrin:

I just always said "kwɪld", as in, like Killed, but Kwilled.

SirKazum
2016-09-28, 12:28 PM
Mine is a horribly botched attempt at a pun. It's supposed to sound like "sarcasm"... which I don't even use that much :smalltongue:

DracoknightZero
2016-09-28, 12:33 PM
Mine is a name i donned back in 2001 as a variation of "Dragon knight" here on this forum however there is someone else with "Dracokinght" so i add "zero" at the end of it because i technically was first. :smallmad:

Black Socks
2016-09-28, 06:54 PM
I got mine from that old campfire song.
Blaaaaaaack socks, they never get dirty,
The longer you wear them the stronger they get.
Sometimes I think I should wash them,
But something inside me says No, no, not yet.
Not yet, not yet, not yet...

lunaticfringe
2016-09-28, 06:57 PM
I can't help but hear this (https://youtu.be/uqUa_G1h3pw) when I see your username.

Good song, I'll allow as long as you don't go equating me with Nazis & their Final Solution.

Grand Arbiter
2016-09-28, 10:35 PM
I got mine from that old campfire song.

When I was in elementary school, (feels like only yesterday), my chorus teacher had a warm-up that was quite similar:

"Black socks, they never get dirty,
But something keeps telling me don't wash them yet.
Not yet, not yet, not yet..."
(Proceed to raise in pitch and repeat)

:mitd: ... Small world, huh? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0476.html)?

ChillerInstinct
2016-09-29, 01:35 AM
I like Killer Instinct (the video game series), and in recent years I've tried (to varying success) to stop worrying all the time, or rather, "to chill".

Gastronomie
2016-09-29, 02:44 AM
So there's this manga called Neuro: Supernatural Detective.

And there's this fan-made opening theme video of Neuro on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLCp4gLqlFM).

And that song, "Jinsei Bimi Raisan" by Ali Project, is a personal favorite.

And within the lyrics of that song appears the particular word "Gastronomie".

Pretty long path.

Murk
2016-09-29, 02:48 AM
So there's this manga called Neuro: Supernatural Detective.

And there's this fan-made opening theme video of Neuro on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLCp4gLqlFM).

And that song, "Jinsei Bimi Raisan" by Ali Project, is a personal favorite.

And within the lyrics of that song appears the particular word "Gastronomie".

Pretty long path.

I just assumed you liked foods, but your actual explanation is waaaaay better.

An Enemy Spy
2016-09-29, 02:50 AM
I actually am an enemy spy, and I chose my username under the logic that if I openly advertised that fact, then nobody would suspect I was the real deal because they'd all just assume I was trying to be funny. I mean, I just told you all I'm a real spy and I bet most of you will just assume I'm joking around here. You fools!

Quild
2016-09-29, 03:05 AM
I just always said "kwɪld", as in, like Killed, but Kwilled.

I didn't thought at the word "willed" but I guess that should be really close of how I pronounce it myself with obviously the "k" sound before.

Is your mother tongue english?

Asmodean_
2016-09-29, 12:31 PM
I didn't thought at the word "willed" but I guess that should be really close of how I pronounce it myself with obviously the "k" sound before.

Is your mother tongue english?

Indeed it is.

http://www.polocrosse.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/australian-flag-map.jpg

Domino Quartz
2016-09-30, 10:41 PM
Mine comes from a name my brother gave to a character I was playing as in an RPG (not the pen-and-paper sort, more like interactive story-telling) he was narrating. I first came across this website when I found out about The Order of the Stick, and since the world it takes place in is based on D&D 3.5, and the original reason the site exists is to discuss stuff related to RPGs, I decided I would use my original RPG name.

Goodkill
2016-09-30, 10:54 PM
Goodkill Bloodbeard was the name of my originally barbarian wizard dwarf though he was also a weapon master later on, back in 3rd edition when that class was killer.

Toilet Cobra
2016-09-30, 11:33 PM
Ooh, fun. I wish I could claim originality but my favorite username comes from this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01082010) excellent old Achewood strip. My preference would have been to call myself Reverse Toilet Cobra but that was far too long for this forum.

Also, my second-most-commonly-used name comes from the same strip; my TF2 server knows me best as Catholic Strategy Gus.

Velaryon
2016-10-02, 04:00 PM
My forum name is a name I gave to a D&D character, specifically a drow Necromancer that I didn't get to play for nearly as long as I would have liked. I shamelessly stole it from some background or historical character in A Song of Ice and Fire. I don't remember exactly who it was, but based on the name I'm guessing Velaryon was either a Targaryen or more likely one of their dragons.

factotum
2016-10-03, 02:16 AM
I don't remember exactly who it was, but based on the name I'm guessing Velaryon was either a Targaryen or more likely one of their dragons.

According to the Song of Ice Fire wiki I just looked up, Velaryon is actually a House in its own right--rulers of the island of Driftmark. They were married into the Targaryen family, though.

dropbear8mybaby
2016-10-03, 02:57 AM
The "Dingo ate my baby" meme is fairly well known to refer to an incident in Australia. Americans are always coming to /r/australia and asking about drop bears and it's become a meme unto itself that Australians make fun of them for it.

Which is utterly disgusting in my opinion because there's nothing funny about drop bears. They're deadly serious business here.

Eldariel
2016-10-03, 03:37 AM
I wanted something that sounded good so I came up with something based on LotR, Silmarillion and my extremely lacking Quenyan when I was 12. This was the result - means "Elfmaiden" or thereabouts, something I didn't know at the time. Nowadays I use Elealar or Gilalar but I'm not in a hurry to switch old nicks around.

golentan
2016-10-03, 04:17 AM
Golentan is a very meaningful part of a phrase that I am... very attached to.

TurboGhast
2016-10-03, 10:32 AM
Originally, I came up with the name "TurboSheep" for another forum that I don't really go to anymore, and then forgot the second half of the username and concatenated "Ghast", which I got from the Minecraft enemy, to the part that I remembered. Some amount of time later, I realized I liked "TurboGhast" enough to use it for most sites.

Lethologica
2016-10-03, 03:23 PM
Lethologica: I'd recently learned this word, and figured there was a certain irony in making it my username so I wouldn't forget it. I often require a long time to craft what I say, both online and IRL, to convey exactly what I feel is the correct perspective. It's not quite the same as an individual word being on the tip of my tongue (though I get that a lot too), but the sentiment suits.

Also, when I'm gaming competitively, it's nice that my name has 'lethal logic' embedded in it. I can kill you with my brain.

Eldariel
2016-10-03, 04:22 PM
Lethologica: I'd recently learned this word, and figured there was a certain irony in making it my username so I wouldn't forget it. I often require a long time to craft what I say, both online and IRL, to convey exactly what I feel is the correct perspective. It's not quite the same as an individual word being on the tip of my tongue (though I get that a lot too), but the sentiment suits.

For what it's worth, at least I actually learnt the word off your nick. So you're doing more than just a selfish service here :smalltongue:

Crow
2016-10-03, 05:16 PM
Well, for me, Shadow came about because the first video game I ever had to choose a username for, the character had black armour, so my youthful self decided on the oh-so-imaginative moniker of Shadow. Clearly, there would be a lot of Shadows, though, and I would have to distinguish myself so, well... Dark is essentially what you get when you take the vowels out of my name.

So, there you have it. The not-interesting story behind my username. And, thankfully, it isn't taken too often. At least, less often than you would think.

Hmmm, not the gothic soap opera eh?

For mine, I've had crows follow me my entire life. Every home I've moved into, there have been not a crow to be seen anywhere, until a few weeks have gone by; and then they are there every day- without fail. If there is a tree over the house, they roost in mine for some reason, despite plenty of trees elsewhere. When I was in africa, they would follow us on patrols. They lined up on the gable of the building I stayed in.

Of course I know crows are a widely distributed and ubiquitous species, and I am probably just more apt to notice them when they are around, whereas others might not notice. I have no illusions of anything mystical.

DataNinja
2016-10-03, 05:38 PM
Hmmm, not the gothic soap opera eh?

Didn't even know one existed until now... Well, then.

Watchdog
2016-10-03, 11:48 PM
It's an old (now disused) real life nickname for me. I was sitting at the door of a tent playing poker with my friends when they suggested that I looked like their watchdog laying in the doorway. It was my nickname for a very short time, but during that time I joined this forum and used it as my username.

Siosilvar
2016-10-04, 12:02 AM
My 12-year-old self wanted to go by Silver Star. My 13-year-old self thought that was lame and jumbled it up a bit. Nearly a decade later, it seems to have stuck.

Fri
2016-10-04, 12:11 AM
Back then in my youth I was playing Secret of Mana in SNES, and they ask name for the main character. Since I'm bad/lazy at naming, I named the main character Fri because it's friday since I thought it's name-ish enough (btw, the female main character was named Sara from saturday, and the fairy is Mon from... guess what?). The name stuck since then.

FinnLassie
2016-10-04, 04:27 AM
I'm Finnish, I'm a woman.

FinnLassie.

..Okay, yeah. And very fond of Scotland. :smallwink: I mean, before registering here and during my first days/weeks I used a mixture of the Finnish coat of arms and the Scottish royal standard as my avatar. :smalltongue: Hrm... I don't even use the site where I made this username in the first place, but this is like a username that I feel like represents me. Before 2011ish I probably had like 10 different usernames starting from 2002.

Now I really want to use my old avatar again. Perhaps one day.

TechnOkami
2016-10-04, 08:22 AM
One day I decided I wanted a unanimous username for myself across the various institutions of the internet.

Okami is one of my favorite games. Artistically gorgeous, and I get to run around as a wolf clobbering things with a giant sword (or fire mirror) and a magical tail paint brush (which tickled the artistic side of me).

At the time I liked the genre of Techno. I don't currently.

I slapped the two together with an emphasis on the O to represent the wolf part more than the music part or the deity part, because "TechnOkami" is supposed to be some eldritch combination of all three (an electronica/trance/edm wolf god).

I've put a fair amount of thought into the username. I've been extremely satisfied with the result, to say the least.

Antioch
2016-10-04, 10:19 AM
Used to go by Ascalon up until I started frequenting an IRC where the username had some minor literary implications, swapped over to Antioch. Ended up becoming a moderator on that server, so it stuck. Not one-hundred percent where the name came to me, but it's either that one dude in the Harry Potter three brothers myth with the Elder Wand, or one of the streets I passed by daily growing up in Kansas.

Velaryon
2016-10-06, 12:47 PM
According to the Song of Ice Fire wiki I just looked up, Velaryon is actually a House in its own right--rulers of the island of Driftmark. They were married into the Targaryen family, though.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks!

Back then in my youth I was playing Secret of Mana in SNES, and they ask name for the main character. Since I'm bad/lazy at naming, I named the main character Fri because it's friday since I thought it's name-ish enough (btw, the female main character was named Sara from saturday, and the fairy is Mon from... guess what?). The name stuck since then.

All of that begs the question... what were you doing on Sunday? :smallbiggrin:

Fawkes
2016-10-06, 01:01 PM
Originally, the handle I used everywhere was Mechafox. I don't remember where exactly that came from, I think it had something to do with Starfox.

I used that for a couple years, until I started repeated being mistaken for a furry artist. That got to be awkward enough that I changed it - and as a goof, I made up a person's name that was phonetically similar to Mechafox: McAllister Fawkes (or McAFawkes).

Fawkes was available on GitP, so I shortened it further.

MintyNinja
2016-10-06, 01:53 PM
My one friend in high school went by PuzzldPirate for all his username needs because he he was a Looter through and through. Teaming up with him in online games during the great Pirate-Ninja wars it made sense for me to take ScurviedNinja. You can imagine it quite easily, a Pirate puzzling over a treasure map while his Ninja friend hates being on a ship.

I came here with that name in mind but I believe it was taken. I was also the kid that always had a pack of mint gum in my younger days and so MintyNinja was a fair backup name. It's stuck here, and most other sites I go to now. Something refreshing about a ninja only noticeable by a slight mint scent.

Mister Tom
2016-10-06, 02:56 PM
I'm named after the nut bar.

Fri
2016-10-06, 10:03 PM
All of that begs the question... what were you doing on Sunday? :smallbiggrin:

Not playing SNES apparently :smalltongue:

Cluedrew
2016-10-08, 07:28 PM
I accidentally re-created this thread. Well I also talked about avatars but that wasn't worth its own thread so this is my original post for that (cancelled) thread:
So I have often wondered about where people's usernames (and avatars) come from. What made you pick that name/image from among the effectively infinite options?

I'll start by saying I chose Cluedrew a long time ago, when I signed up for my first online account ever. It had to do with a game I was playing at the time, or the clue part did. I added "-drew" because I felt it sounded better. I liked the repeating "ue/ew" sound (phonics people), still do actually. Anyways I have kept the name, despite the fact I don't care about the original meaning, for consistency sake and because I feel it hints at my inquisitive nature.

As for my avatar (or rather, my lack of avatar) I have just never had been able to find an image that represents me very well. Which leaves me with creating one, but even then my best ideas there have not been great. Plus there were some very intelligent people who, when I joined, also didn't use avatar and I liked the association.

Maybe as an art project I should do the sketched magnifying glass or Cluedrew.exe in OotS style, but for now I am just an idea in your head. Which also fits me sometimes.

Also:

I picked Red because I like the color, and because it's not a terrible prefix.And yet your avatar shows that are blue.

Crow
2016-10-08, 07:48 PM
I have this avatar because I lost my old one, and Aedilred was the only person who offered to step up and make me a new one.

May he hang his head in shame. :D

Max_Killjoy
2016-10-08, 08:44 PM
My handle comes from the days of playing tabletop Battletech -- Max "Killjoy" Cutter, CO of the merc unit "The Cutting Crew", who specialized in, um, "aggressive salvage" of enemy mechs / tech.

They "made a killing" during the Clan invasion.

Dienekes
2016-10-08, 10:02 PM
Really into Ancient Greek history when I was in elementary school/junior high. I picked this somewhat famous Ancient Greek soldier as my codename in my first game of laser tag, and variations on it have been my online (and laser tag) handle ever since.

Unfortunately picking a historical person as your name means a lot of other guys take it as well, so I'll at times add other words in front or behind on different sites.

8BitNinja
2016-10-09, 12:26 PM
My name comes from my YouTube name. But the reason why I chose it was because I liked to play NES games (8 Bit) and I think that ninjas are really cool. So I came up with the name 8 Bit Ninja. There are no spaces because I assumed the name was taken when I made my account.

Recherché
2016-10-09, 03:18 PM
Recherché literally means “researching” in French but it’s also slang for “fashionable” or “chic.” I study the anthropology of fashion and clothing so what could be better than obscure French wordplay combining the two?

PallElendro
2016-10-09, 08:25 PM
Name and class of my first Dungeons & Dragons character.

Tiri
2016-10-11, 01:57 AM
My username is my real name, but using the spelling I figured out for it when I was two.

Suffice to say it's far removed enough from the actual spelling of my name (which is fairly uncommon) for me to feel safe using it as a pseudonym.

neverjust
2016-10-11, 07:02 AM
My name is a part of my real surname + one never :D

Amaril
2016-10-11, 09:57 PM
It's the name of the first D&D character I ever played, Amaril the elven wizard. I remember looking at the suggested names for male elf characters in the 3e handbook, seeing Aramil as the first one listed, swapping a couple consonants around, and calling it a day.

These days I'm not such a fan of elves, or wizards, so I doubt I'll ever play Amaril again.

Thundercracker
2016-10-12, 04:09 AM
Thundercracker is a decepticon from the original transformers.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Thundercracker_(G1)

Grand Arbiter
2016-10-12, 09:44 PM
Thundercracker is a decepticon from the original transformers.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Thundercracker_(G1)

I remember watching Transformers in elementary school. My brother and I would play with the toys together frequently.

Your avatar is pure undiluted awesomeness, by the way. :smallcool::smallbiggrin:

Thundercracker
2016-10-13, 08:02 AM
I remember watching Transformers in elementary school. My brother and I would play with the toys together frequently.

Your avatar is pure undiluted awesomeness, by the way. :smallcool::smallbiggrin:

Ha, you can thank strawberries for that one. She had avatars for the whole cast I believe.

IbnHoor
2016-10-17, 03:45 AM
I didn't choose mine, my parents did.

My parents also choose mine

Obscure Blade
2016-10-21, 01:55 PM
My name is the same one I used to use on the City of Heroes forums and in-game chat before they were shut down. I usually use a different name on different forums, but with that forum shut down I decided I might as well re-use it.

It's the same name as my first character there; the chat handle was auto-generated that way as i recall. He was a Broadsword/Regeneration Scrapper (basically Wolverine with a sword instead of claws); "Obscure" because no one knew me there, and "Blade" because, well, he used a sword.

AmericanCheese
2016-10-22, 08:12 AM
Well, I'm from Wisconsin

I don't need to say that much more, I don't think.

factotum
2016-10-22, 09:53 AM
Well, I'm from Wisconsin

That explains "American", "Cheese" not so much. :smallsmile:

Siosilvar
2016-10-22, 10:57 AM

Wisconsin produces a quarter of the US's cheese. It's not famous for much else that people remember, I know I'm drawing a blank right now. I think Harley-Davidson motorcycles is headquartered there?

Tentreto
2016-10-22, 11:21 AM
I decided to get more into the internet, and decided to have an original name. My choices were between a few I had made when I was younger, 'torchic explorer and 'warriorexhibition', both of which seemed a bit pretentious to keep for the foreseeable future. Thus I chose between what I had named my X and Y Pokémon team, 'Gimli' the Chestnaught, 'Solace' the Pidgeot, or 'Tentreto' the Charizard.

In the end, I liked the name Tentreto the best, but loved Solace the most as a mon, so kept the bird motif and chose Tentreto.

The name itself? Random letters put together. I do enjoy people trying to pronounce it though. Apparently its quite close to Spanish.

I do tend to also go by 'Trick' 'Ramir' and 'Pidgey' sometimes as well though.

Derjuin
2016-10-22, 12:27 PM
Mine came from a college acceptance letter about... 11 years ago.

The header read:

DEAR JU IN,

My name is not Ju In, nor is it related to Ju or In in any way. I made fun of it, pronouncing "Dear" as "Durr". And so, Derjuin came to be.

Suffice to say I did not attend that college. :smallamused:

factotum
2016-10-22, 01:16 PM
It's not famous for much else that people remember

I don't think it's even famous for that outside the US, hence my puzzlement! :smallsmile:

AmericanCheese
2016-10-22, 07:28 PM

Balls, I overestimated how well known my beloved state is. Wisconsin is basically Dairy: The State: The Motion Picture and I'd like to think that it's known for the Republican Party, Harley Davidsons and um... cherries?

Disillusioning moment for me :smallannoyed:

An Enemy Spy
2016-10-22, 11:32 PM
I don't think it's even famous for that outside the US, hence my puzzlement! :smallsmile:

Huh. Yeah, to any American the mention of Wisconsin immediately conjures up images of cheese and people wearing cheese hats on their heads to cheer on a football team named after the packers of... meat, actually.

I wonder what regions of the UK have qualities any Brit would recognize but are utterly unknown to anyone else.

Peelee
2016-10-23, 12:16 AM
Balls, I overestimated how well known my beloved state is. Wisconsin is basically Dairy: The State: The Motion Picture and I'd like to think that it's known for the Republican Party, Harley Davidsons and um... cherries?

Disillusioning moment for me :smallannoyed:

It's the setting of That 70's Show, so it has that going for it.

....I think.

Bohandas
2016-10-23, 12:37 AM
My name is one of the deities of the Church of the SubGenius. The mysterious god of mystery.

See http://www.poee.org/documents/Other_Religions/Church_of_the_SubGenius/Dictionary_of_the_Gods.htm for a full list of major Subgenius deities and other entities (warning. List of deities contains a couple minor instances of coarse language and adult situations)

EDIT:
It appears that that site is no longer up. The linked document can still be found on this badly formatted mirror:
http://www.angelfire.com/ga3/leefga/dict.html

factotum
2016-10-23, 02:07 AM
I wonder what regions of the UK have qualities any Brit would recognize but are utterly unknown to anyone else.

Most of them, probably. The town I was born in (Northampton) is historically famous for producing shoes, for instance, but I'd be surprised if anyone outside Northamptonshire knew that, much less anyone outside the country!

AmericanCheese
2016-10-23, 08:29 AM

....I think.

Well, that's true, but even I forgot about that part, despite loving That 70's Show and the fact that the opening literally yells "HELLO WISCONSIN"

Oh, also some of the best of Midwestern Craft Beers (Best in the WorldTM)

Weimann
2016-10-23, 09:35 PM
It's half my real last name.

Peelee
2016-10-24, 04:59 PM
Most of them, probably. The town I was born in (Northampton) is historically famous for producing shoes, for instance, but I'd be surprised if anyone outside Northamptonshire knew that, much less anyone outside the country!

I thought that was common knowledge, at least to people who know the history and legacy of the noble St. Hubbins (detailed in the Book of Leather, along with St. Hubbins' Prayer, or the "Let our boots be strong" prayer.) Another popular UK shoe district is the Isle of Lucy, if I remember right.

Smitemeister
2016-10-24, 05:11 PM
My name was part of the title of a difficulty setting in an old game by Raven/ID software. Not really spectacular but I always kinda liked the ring of it.

Hamste
2016-10-24, 05:19 PM

Would have guessed it was famous for being north of Hampton (ham capital of the world, produce the stuff by the ton). After all, everyone knows English name their cities after what they are most famous for.
-Bristol is famous for its bristol board
-bath is famous for its baths
-Canterbury has extremely hard ground
-Hastings which is known for its great speed (how they got a town on wheels, I don't know)
-Hay on Wye is known for horrible sandwiches and their inability to spell rye.
-Sandwich is the enemy of Hay on Wye and known for their great sandwiches
-York is known for its Yorkshire puddings (Ok, this is making me hungry. One last one though)
-Cowbridge which oddly enough is famous for being a small market town in Wales.

Peelee
2016-10-24, 05:41 PM
Would have guessed it was famous for being north of Hampton (ham capital of the world, produce the stuff by the ton). After all, everyone knows English name their cities after what they are most famous for.
-Bristol is famous for its bristol board
-bath is famous for its baths
-Canterbury has extremely hard ground
-Hastings which is known for its great speed (how they got a town on wheels, I don't know)
-Hay on Wye is known for horrible sandwiches and their inability to spell rye.
-Sandwich is the enemy of Hay on Wye and known for their great sandwiches
-York is known for its Yorkshire puddings (Ok, this is making me hungry. One last one though)
-Cowbridge which oddly enough is famous for being a small market town in Wales.

Damn, I think you did better than I on that one.

Hamste
2016-10-25, 09:35 AM
Damn, I think you did better than I on that one.
Yours was a lot more subtle though (admittedly that is mostly because I never watched Spinal Tap)

I am quite proud of that one though and I didn't even get to talk about the town named after a person sitting on fabric (Berwick-Upon-Tweed) or the town where Lincoln was born called Lincoln. Fun fact, at least 2 of the places on that list are actually known for what I said they were known for.

The sad part is those aren't even some of the weirdest names on the list and I was just looking at the list of cities that used to have town walls. I shudder to think what some of the names not on that list are like. Probably stuff like Bell End, Dog Village and Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanfairpwllgwyngyll)

JobsforFun
2016-10-25, 02:30 PM
I was 14 years old sitting in my living room trying to think of a new name to use while playing online. I ended up randomly thinking of Jobs_for_Fun, not sure how but it just came into my head...

SirKazum
2016-10-29, 06:31 AM
My name was part of the title of a difficulty setting in an old game by Raven/ID software. Not really spectacular but I always kinda liked the ring of it.
I remember that! Was that Heretic?

Kevin Drake
2016-10-29, 11:54 AM
I just wanted something that sounded like the name of a dragon tamer, which my character was, and ended up switching my real initials unknowingly and my character was named Kevin Drake. It was either that or donkey kong, and I didn't have to go too far for the name of my character's dragon, Helios, either. I just picked up the video game nearest to me, and named the dragon after the first dragon I saw in the game. The game was the first bakugan game for the ds btw

Kevin Drake
2016-10-29, 12:00 PM
The player for our rouge did the same, (initial swap I mean), and our fighter's player just picked the most mysterious name he could think of, and the player of our dragonborn paladin (well not him but I made the character cuz we needed a tank) just slapped the words "armored dragon" into a translator and fiddled around with it until he got something that sounded cool.

Foxtail
2016-10-30, 08:37 AM
It's the surname of a Bard I played for a while. Plus I just like foxes.

SlyGuyMcFly
2016-10-30, 09:33 AM
The Sly part comes from Sly Cooper, the Guy McFly bit is not a reference to the band or the movie but stolen from a character in an obscure webcomic I read when I was about... 19 or so.

Goldiefish
2016-10-31, 06:06 AM
Goldie is part of my real name and I just liked the pun of Goldiefish

Laylyn
2016-11-05, 05:13 PM
I used some of the Dragonlance era naming styles for elves, for a Dragon Magazine Mariner character in 1st ed. Years later, I used the name as a gaming handle.

/salute

sktarq
2016-11-05, 07:32 PM
SK are my initials. Tarq is short for Tarquin which is what my father wanted to name me but my mother raised a level of Cain or three to stop him. Anyway some of my friends found out about my father's plans and started to call me Tarquin or just Tarq/Tark for short. Out of the 300+ nicknames I had at boarding school (apparently my real name was too boring for the weird kid) that Tarquin group was one I minded least. Thus it ended up on an old email account circa 1999. Never shook it off as a moniker,

Traab
2016-11-05, 08:01 PM
Back when the hottest game on the mmo market was Everquest, I got the game and one of my first characters was called Traab. He turned out to be my main. Then when I switched to other games, like dark age of camelot, lotr online, everquest 2, and world of warcraft, I kept the name because it let people I knew from other titles know that it was me. I actually stumbled across my original everquest guild from back in 99 on WoW when it was a new release entirely by accident. They just happened to pick the same server as me, and when I saw someone else whose name was familiar, I asked, identified myself and boom, I was a member of a raid guild from before molten core even being in the patch notes.

So long story short, I use Traab for just about everything I do online. You never know when you will bump into old friends.

Keldrin
2016-11-05, 08:46 PM
As others have posted, mine is a character from my past. Keldrin didn't start off at first level, and slogged like all my other characters. A couple of friends and I wanted to see what the heady high levels looked like in AD&D, and screw level limits,etc.
He was an elven arch-mage/bard. We had a lot of fun, and without the urgency of getting XP, we stayed in town and role played. All our power gamer fantasies took a back seat to just having fun.

Meanwhile his relative Chondrin (MU/Ftr/Thf), took 15 years to get up to the midteens. Both were fun in their own way.

Chondrin was from The Sunset Warrior, and Keldrin I made up as a variation.

Spinach
2016-11-06, 05:21 AM
I had a distinct taste of it in my mouth when I joined.

Also the name of Venusaur I raised back when Pokemon Red came out. Yes the old one.

Can't believe such a common noun wasn't taken. I still have a lingering suspicion I spelt it wrong or something.

Cluedrew
2016-11-12, 01:28 PM
Out of the 300+ nicknames I had at boarding school (apparently my real name was too boring for the weird kid)Some people just have this ability to collect nicknames. The number of times I had to clarify "No, Human is not Pablo, that's Worm" when talking about my day back in high school.

To Spinach: I doubt Brussel Sprouts is taken either. (Although even spell check doesn't want to associated itself with that one so maybe I did spell it wrong.)

NecroDancer
2016-12-08, 12:33 PM
I like music and I think talking to ghosts would be cool. Also one of my favorite characters in D&D was a necromancer/bard who had an unhealthy love of the song "Thriller"

Also the thought of a bunch of zombies getting together to bust a move is hilarious

RPGNovice
2016-12-08, 03:39 PM
I am a novice at RPGs, so for now it is an accurate label. Later on it would be humorously ironic and a reminder that everyone starts as a newb. :smallsmile:

Hamste
2016-12-08, 04:37 PM
I like music and I think talking to ghosts would be cool. Also one of my favorite characters in D&D was a necromancer/bard who had an unhealthy love of the song "Thriller"

Also the thought of a bunch of zombies getting together to bust a move is hilarious

So it isn't a reference to Crypt of the NecroDancer? It is a rhythm based rogue like game from 2015.

D20ragon
2016-12-08, 05:05 PM
D20... and Dragon... I'm innovative, I know.

Avianmosquito
2016-12-08, 05:18 PM
A fist fight I got into when I was a little kid. I was a lot smaller than the guy I was fighting, so he said I was "like a mosquito". So I said "Then at least I can fly". He responded with, get this, "Then you're an avian mosquito, you're still a bug". That made so little sense I couldn't help laughing at him and the fight came to a screeching halt.

Mith
2016-12-08, 05:35 PM
Mith short for Mithrandir. I originally used the full name, but forum members shortened it down when referring to me, so I did a final rename as Mith and try and keep it or a variant of it as a tag.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-08, 07:27 PM
I latched onto #93 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0093.html) hard. I enjoyed the wordplay enough to come up with a song the band on the poster would perform, and which album it would have been released in proximity. The propensity for optimized rangers to have favored enemies which make more sense tactically than due to their backstories plays into it, too. What might bear explaining is that the song (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_an_Arab) has a more complex history than at first glance at the title. At some point I might change it to KissingAScarab, but there's going to need to be some character growth.

Disillusioning moment for me :smallannoyed:Nah, the Republican political party's not something I associate it with. If I must mention politics and Wisconsin in the same sentence, I'm more likely to consider that Daily Show episode (http://www.cc.com/video-clips/p4o8x5/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-searching-for-the-wisconsin-14) in which John Oliver looked for Wisconsin Democrat senators in Illinois as if it were a warzone and eventually encountered warlord Rod Blagojevich.

....I think.What, no mention of Happy Days (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Days)? How about its quasi-spin-off show Laverne & Shirley, the opening to which was re-enacted (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nezaPS3G24) in Wayne's World just before the Alice Cooper concert in Milwaukee?

I remember that! Was that Heretic?It does indeed appear to be from Heretic (http://www.gamefaqs.com/mac/928731-heretic/faqs/63556).

Peelee
2016-12-08, 09:16 PM
So in the '70s, a show about the '50s in Wisconsin was popular. In the '90s, a show about the '70s in Wisconsin was popular.

If anyone wants to break in to the TV game, shoot a quick pilot about the '90s in Wisconsin. And give me a cut when it inevitably becomes successful.

Delicious Taffy
2016-12-08, 09:20 PM
My username is a Psychonauts reference that just sort of stuck.

Anarion
2016-12-08, 09:22 PM
I ripped off J.R.R. Tolkien because creativity is hard when you're 15, and then it turned out to be a sticky enough online identity that I stuck with it.

JNAProductions
2016-12-08, 09:48 PM
My initials are JNA. I'm a mad producer of homebrew.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-09, 12:31 AM
So in the '70s, a show about the '50s in Wisconsin was popular. In the '90s, a show about the '70s in Wisconsin was popular.

If anyone wants to break in to the TV game, shoot a quick pilot about the '90s in Wisconsin. And give me a cut when it inevitably becomes successful.Perhaps someone else could start a ten-years-later spin-off about a couple from Milwaukee who start a band and move to Chicago (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joanie_Loves_Chachi), but it wouldn't be me. The only one I could come up with would be too close to The Gothsicles, and I would rather respect their privacy. DJ EYG and darkNES might be down with doing a sit-com theme song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=outrCLrpj-8), though...

TriggerGunther
2016-12-10, 12:38 AM
Well, my normal name was already taken and I joined for a campaign journal, so just used the name from the character in game, which I used because it sounded 80's action hero-y.

Hamste
2016-12-10, 06:07 AM
Well, my normal name was already taken and I joined for a campaign journal, so just used the name from the character in game, which I used because it sounded 80's action hero-y.

Huh, would have thought of Gunther more as an 80's action henchman myself (or villian if it isn't the first name). We got Dr. Octopus (middle name Gunther), King Gunther, Gunther from The Funhouse and Gunther Hermann from deus ex.

Avianmosquito
2016-12-11, 08:04 PM
Huh. I always associated Gunther with LPArchive. Specifically Geop and Vicas.

sktarq
2016-12-12, 01:55 AM
Some people just have this ability to collect nicknames. The number of times I had to clarify "No, Human is not Pablo, that's Worm" when talking about my day back in high school.

yes, "collect" is not a word I would use for that experience. When my professors used names like Unabomber (who was just being hunted down during this time), Cactus, Alien, etc didn't help (yes in class). But yeah I could generally tell who was saying hello via what name they used. Why some people were willing to say skibbles-and-bits-and-bits every time they wanted to say my name I will never know.

I stopped useing my given name after that and only use my by surname to this day. Apparently it is odd enough that people are fine with it and don't need to change it. The only people who I have used my given name for (for legal issues) have now given me nicknames....in my 30's.....It's mildly annoying.

Wish
2016-12-18, 02:58 PM
I think I need a new name tbh.
However back in the day when AOL was the big thing and 56k was your fastest general connection. I thought reZpect was really cool username, a couple of years I grew out of that and wanted to keep it. So I changed it to rez then just added patriot on to it, because by this time I think the NE Patriots were starting to get glory.

However after looking into it. rez is also short for reservation, which is ironic I put patriot on it. So it roughly translates as "indigenous and proud". Being British and a cluster of cultures myself its not really appropriate to who I am. I always thought of a username as an avatar. I recently changed it again, but this stayed as my username here.

Now how do I change it.

Xihirli
2016-12-18, 03:09 PM
"Sihirli" is Turkish for magic. But the "zih" sound is amazing. But as a certain Skelly will tell you, Zs are the worst. X, that's where it's at.

Cluedrew
2016-12-19, 09:28 AM
I stopped useing my given name after that and only use my by surname to this day. Apparently it is odd enough that people are fine with it and don't need to change it.People have been calling me by my last name for a long time, since my early-teens. Either with the title on the front or by using my full name. That in a sense is my nickname.

Oddly, over the years, I have decided on "Cluedrew's" full name, but that rarely comes up.

On I more general note, lots of interesting little stories going on, thanks for sharing everyone.

Celestia
2016-12-19, 03:59 PM
The username that I've had for the past six years on another forum is taken here, so I decided to just name myself after my favorite pony.

Avianmosquito
2016-12-19, 06:31 PM
The username that I've had for the past six years on another forum is taken here, so I decided to just name myself after my favorite pony.

Oh, that's why I imagined your voice was a little hoarse.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-19, 07:55 PM
I think I need a new name tbh.
Now how do I change it.There is a name change request topic here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?108349-Name-Change-Request-Thread-II-%28Please-Read-Directions-Before-Posting%29).

Wish
2016-12-19, 08:02 PM
There is a name change request topic here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?108349-Name-Change-Request-Thread-II-%28Please-Read-Directions-Before-Posting%29).

The next part of the question is

What would I change it to? An avatar representing myself, a world on online people who don't know me.

Hmmmm.

2D8HP
2016-12-23, 01:03 PM

Oh, that's why I imagined your voice was a little hoarse.

*blinks twice, then slams head on desk.*

KillingAScarab
2016-12-24, 12:48 AM
2D8HP is from the hit points that were rolled for a first level Ranger in 1970's Dungeons & Dragons.
All Rangers gain a special advantage when fighting against monsters
of the Giant Class (Kobolds - Giants). For each level they have gained
they add +1 to their damage die against these creatures, so a 1st Level
Ranger adds +1, a 2nd Level +2, and so on.

*blinks twice, then slams head on desk.*Wow, you killed that desk. I didn't know you received a bonus on damage against inanimate objects, too. Must have been left off of the class description.

2D8HP
2016-12-24, 10:52 AM
Wow, you killed that desk. I didn't know you received a bonus on damage against inanimate objects, too. Must have been left off of the class description.I t was left out along with the extraordinary vulnerability to puns.

Saint Jimmy
2016-12-28, 08:42 PM
Because a few years ago in sixth grade I thought that Saint Jimmy from Green Day's album American Idiot was cool and edgy so I made all my usernames that because I wanted to be cool and edgy as well.

...yeah. I am neither cool not edgy, and I was even less so and more annoying in sixth grade. There's a reason I don't like to remember it that much.:smallwink:
Anyway now it's just habit for me to do use that username, I'm too lazy to come up with anything else.

Professor Chimp
2016-12-29, 05:31 AM
Originally, back during my Quake and Team Fortress multiplayer days, I went by just Chimp. Can't remember how I came up with it, but I've since been using it as my online handle.
I later added Professor when I needed an image to go with my name and found a picture of Einstein shopped into a chimpansee.

Phearnun
2016-12-30, 07:16 PM
Misspelled a drow character's name from a FR novel.

Kio
2016-12-30, 08:01 PM
I was looking through some Japanese Kanji and I found the Kanji for Love, which (at least on the site I was surfing, don't know how accurate those things are) translated to Koi.
I thought it sounded cool, but I didn't want there to be a direct translation to a real-world language. So I pulled a Neo and flipped some letters (It was for my first DnD character)! I found it fitting and have kept it ever since!

Salieri
2017-01-03, 03:11 AM
As Amadeus taught us, Salieri was the embittered mediocre counterpoint to Mozart's inspired, maddening genius and so I've often felt a kinship with him.

Thus.

Peelee
2017-01-03, 11:00 AM
As Amadeus taught us, Salieri was the embittered mediocre counterpoint to Mozart's inspired, maddening genius and so I've often felt a kinship with him.

Thus.

I choose to believe you are joking.

factotum
2017-01-03, 01:52 PM

He did say "as Amadeus taught us", and that's pretty much how the characters are represented in that movie. Yes, it's doing a grave disservice to Antonio Salieri, but I guess the movie makers considered he'd been dead for more than 150 years and so wasn't in a position to sue for libel.

Peelee
2017-01-03, 01:53 PM
He did say "as Amadeus taught us", and that's pretty much how the characters are represented in that movie. Yes, it's doing a grave disservice to Antonio Salieri, but I guess the movie makers considered he'd been dead for more than 150 years and so wasn't in a position to sue for libel.

Point taken.

golentan
2017-01-03, 03:40 PM

It really bugs me when bio movies decide they need a villain and cram whatever nearby bystander, acquaintance, or authority figure first catches the writer/director's eye into that role.

Tvtyrant
2017-01-04, 01:03 PM
Back when Homestarrunner.com was still a thing I used to write in to strongbads' email. TV refers to the Tualatin river Valley where I live.

CrystalMists
2017-01-04, 02:53 PM
Mine is kinda a bit of an envoling one.

Back when Mists of Pandaria Dropped. I decided I wanted to play a Panda Monk. Specifically the Brewmaster and Mistweaver.

So thusly my Panda was Named DrunkenMists.

Lately...since I've stopped drinking I've changed it to use my *NEW* first Name Crystal...but still the mists :D

So CrystalMists Came About. And yes..I ALREADY know the joke.

Professor Gnoll
2017-01-04, 05:01 PM
I really like Gnolls. And I wanted to project an air of intellectual authority instead of saying anything smart.

KillingAScarab
2017-01-04, 08:22 PM
So CrystalMists Came About. And yes..I ALREADY know the joke.Would that be a joke relevant to World of Warcraft? Only thing I can think of might be Marvel Comics' Inhumans and the Terrigen Mists.

I really like Gnolls. And I wanted to project an air of intellectual authority instead of saying anything smart.Do you have a favorite setting for them?

Professor Gnoll
2017-01-05, 05:06 AM
Do you have a favorite setting for them?
I'd have to say Wicked Fantasy. I feel like it gives them a bit more personality beyond 'yet another savage raiding race'. The moon connection is cool and they have something of a unique culture.

Salieri
2017-01-06, 09:27 PM

Amadeus is in this instance wrong, of course. But despite this, I still always felt common cause with Salieri.

lothos
2017-01-07, 08:29 PM
A lot of people assume I'm named after a bad guy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer called Lothos. In fact, I stole the name from the science fiction series "Quantum Leap" which ran in the early 1990s.

In the series, there was an artificially intelligent "parallel hybrid computer" called "Ziggy" who the main protagonist (Dr Sam Beckett, played by Scott Bakula) created to run project quantum leap.

In the 5th season of Quantum Leap, a rival group of "Evil Leapers" were introduced. Whereas Dr Beckett was "striving to put right what once went wrong" the evil Leapers were trying to screw up all the happy endings in history and generally do evil stuff, for motivations that were not fully explained in the series.

The Evil Leapers also had an artificially intelligent parallel hybrid computer - an evil opposite of Ziggy.

It was called Lothos.

quietkal
2017-01-14, 08:52 PM
I'm not a big talker, so my grandpa started calling me silent Sam. Name's not actually Sam, so I assume it was some kind of phrase of the times. I took to it, and started using it on other places as my username.
Turns out other people run that name too, but I'd taken to it and wanted something related to it. Some kind of parallel, keeping the alliteration and "I don't talk a lot" spirit of the name.
Came up with ol' quickle, and haven't doubled up with anyone else yet.
Q and K aren't really alliterative, but I sort of like the inconsistency.

mr-mercer
2017-01-14, 10:31 PM
I was playing a lot of Prototype when I first chose my handle and the name's stuck since then. I feel so accustomed to the name Mercer that I'd feel weird using anything else online. People do often mistake it for a Skyrim or Critical Role reference, though.

Lexiconjurer
2017-01-14, 10:42 PM
No inventive or especially interesting origin for my name. I happened to see the words lexicon and conjurer close by each other and went, "...Heeey, I could do that!"

Antonok
2017-01-15, 05:39 AM
Play on Mantorok from Eternal Darkness.

Was trying to find a screen name to use on something, and all my old ones were already taken, along with about 500 others I could think of. This was not. Nor usually is taken when I sign up for anything, which is very nice considering how long I've used this name for things (probably about 8 years now)

SirKazum
2017-01-15, 07:06 AM
I was playing a lot of Prototype when I first chose my handle and the name's stuck since then. I feel so accustomed to the name Mercer that I'd feel weird using anything else online. People do often mistake it for a Skyrim or Critical Role reference, though.

Whenever I see the name Mercer the first thing that pops into my mind is always the quasi-religious figure in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (aka the book that got made into the movie Blade Runner). With how famous the name became recently with Prototype and who knows what else, I feel like I'm the only one making that connection :smalltongue:

Arcane_Snowman
2017-01-15, 10:42 AM
It's firstly a reference to my tendency to be, as well as my appreciation for the, strange. The latter is a pun on my surname, part of which is means snow.

khadgar567
2017-01-16, 01:12 AM
Two guesses for any warcraft fan?

SirKazum
2017-01-16, 07:48 AM
Two guesses for any warcraft fan?

The alt mage hero you get for participating in Blizzard events or something? Dunno about Warcraft though :smalltongue:

khadgar567
2017-01-16, 11:56 AM
The alt mage hero you get for participating in Blizzard events or something? Dunno about Warcraft though :smalltongue:
same name medhiv's apprentice have the one ​Ben Schnetzer played in the Warcraft movie. When i read the book first time it stick with me and the number part is my high school school number.

Pogona
2017-01-19, 08:13 PM
'Pogona' is the genus of lizards that i love most.

More commonly called Bearded Dragons, I've been keeping them as pets for more than 20 years now.

kyoryu
2017-01-19, 10:10 PM
An old coworker who was Japanese came up with it. I told him I wanted something that meant "crazy dragon" as a handle.

druid91
2017-01-19, 10:35 PM
I used to play Druids in 3.5

And 91 is one of my numbers that I superstitiously believe to be significant.

Erego, Druid 91.

HalfTangible
2017-01-20, 12:17 AM
I went by another name on the interwebz once, but I wanted to distance myself from that name as much as possible after getting banned from 4 different forums. Put myself in a different mindset, ya know?

(also, it turns out someone had taken my name already on the board. And got banned. Ominous.)

At the time I played World of Warcraft, and I loved Nether drakes. They were a half-material, half-ethereal form of dragon. So they were half tangible.

Armok
2017-01-20, 01:50 AM
Armok is the name of the primary antagonistic force in my homebrew D&D setting which I've just begun running for my friends. He exists as a sort of cosmic counterbalance to the Godess of creation, a God of darkness, ruin, change and destruction. It was either his name or hers, and frankly I think Armok sounds cooler.

Celticbear
2017-01-20, 09:13 AM
This is my dad's gamer tag on the ps3, but since he doesn't do online gaming much, I picked up the slack. With all of the friends I made online calling me celticbear, the name just stuck and I started to use it everywhere. My dad's still a little p.o. that I stole it from him, but all's well that ends well

Ursus the Grim
2017-01-20, 06:00 PM
My favorite animal has always been the bear.
An old Halo buddy of mine once said I was really quiet and stoic while playing.
I was looking for a GamerTag without numbers or frills.

Thus, I chose Ursus the Grim. I've been using it for years now.

Still have a few other online handles, and many nicknames from when I was a kid, but I've built most of my modern identity around this handle.

Peelee
2017-01-20, 06:23 PM
My favorite animal has always been the bear.
An old Halo buddy of mine once said I was really quiet and stoic while playing.
I was looking for a GamerTag without numbers or frills.

Thus, I chose Ursus the Grim. I've been using it for years now.

Still have a few other online handles, and many nicknames from when I was a kid, but I've built most of my modern identity around this handle.

I choose to believe you are Dwight Schrute.

Ursus the Grim
2017-01-20, 06:36 PM
I choose to believe you are Dwight Schrute.

Sadly "Beta Vulgaris The Grim" was already taken

Cola
2017-01-26, 11:44 AM
Around 10 years ago, while making my first account online, I just chose a random thing I liked: Cola. Ever since, I've been using variations of that name. While signing up for giantitp.com I thought "How about something short that rolls off the tongue nicely." Good thing Cola wasn't taken already.

Viathon
2017-01-27, 02:41 AM
I was about 9 or 10. The first internet cafe opened up close to us, my first exposure to the internet at all. The guys there helped my create a Hotmail account (<- I misspelled "Hotmail" once not long after that... never again... it's scarred me for life.) And I was thinking about names. Eventually I settled on one I liked more than any of the other "Code-names" I was using at the time. Viathon. Derived from Leviathan... I still use it on ever site and every game.

Cluedrew
2017-01-30, 08:25 PM
This is my dad's gamer tag on the ps3[...]And some day you must pass this name onto your own gamer children.

Well you don't have to, but imagine some day CelticbearTheForth explaining where they got their username.

Benthesquid
2017-01-30, 09:10 PM
I am neither named Benjamin, nor am I in fact a squid.

So it seemed the perfect username.

LethWorgen
2017-01-30, 09:18 PM
I played a Worgen Warlock in WoW, and her name's Lethianna

Hence, LethWorgen

Fishyninja
2017-02-01, 05:28 PM
Lord I have been using this screen name since (or iterations of it
Fishyninjabread
Fishyninjabreadman

)
I was about 10 I think.
It came from me making by best friend jump out of his skin he was waiting for me so we could walk to school together.

He didn't notice that I had walked up behind him, when he turned around he jumped and sneezed at the same time, and I think he was trying to say "you are like a bloody ninja!"

So it sounded like *Fish*Ninja, and it kinda stuck.

Sajiri
2017-02-03, 02:58 AM
When I was a teen, I had a very cringey online alias (a colour, an animal, and a dark edgy word worked in there). After a year or two I decided I had to come up with something different. I was trying to find a fun way to combine the sounds of my real name and middle name, and Sajiri came to mind. I forget where I'd heard it, and I think it's an Indian name, but it sounded pretty so I went with that.

Most of my friends at the time thought I was just combining Satoshi Tajiri together though :smallannoyed:

Alent
2017-02-03, 03:51 AM
Hey, I get to participate in this with my new forum name! :smallbiggrin:

This one goes way back. I'd decided a story character's nickname was "Al", but never what her full name was. Being a teenager, I solved this the way I thought everyone came up with fantasy names: random syllables from real words! "Alent" was the first setup I found that had a nice ring to it.

For some reason, I would often use this name for my Paladins on various MMOs. The one I liked the most was my Aion Templar, but I have a WoW paladin I still play infrequently that I tend to mentally associate the name with. Most people who've known me as this name probably know me from WoW circles, anyway, hence the Belfadin avatar. :smallamused: (Even though back then it was a Spacegoat...)

SirKazum
2017-02-03, 11:52 AM
When I was a teen, I had a very cringey online alias (a colour, an animal, and a dark edgy word worked in there).

I tried imagining what that name was, just to better picture the story as I read it, and what came to me is "Blue Cow Floppy-disk" :smalltongue: (hey, it's dark and has edges!)

Morphic tide
2017-02-03, 12:09 PM
I was in a very Zergy mood, having just gotten done with a long session of contemplating the possibilities of StarCraft Changelings. The user name provokes me to contemplate immense versatility attempts and rapid restructuring of character capabilities. Oddly, I hate the idea of flexible Fighter feats. It seems to be against the strict training that Fighters do to just have skills and discard them. And yet, I also love Pathfinder's Brawler in general, including the temporary feats. It's probably the fact that the Brawler is made to be extremely versatile in close combat.

Fishyninja
2017-02-03, 12:53 PM
I tried imagining what that name was, just to better picture the story as I read it, and what came to me is "Blue Cow Floppy-disk" :smalltongue: (hey, it's dark and has edges!)

Aren't they an Indie Band? :smalltongue:

Sajiri
2017-02-03, 05:04 PM

If I had named myself that I wouldnt be nearly so ashamed over it :smalltongue:

Try a dark colour, a creature you would expect in hell, and a popular predator animal....I was 14

Fishyninja
2017-02-03, 06:27 PM
If I had named myself that I wouldnt be nearly so ashamed over it :smalltongue:

Try a dark colour, a creature you would expect in hell, and a popular predator animal....I was 14

I'm going to take 2 guesses.

1) BlackDemonWolf

2) BlackDemonGrasshopper Mouse...

It's the second one right?!

Btw, love the Avatar. Awesome art style.

Peelee
2017-02-03, 06:29 PM
I was thinking "BlackWolfSomething" since long before the hint. Still think I'm mostly right, but I wouldn't have gotten "demon" or whatever that one's supposed to be. Sadly, I was leaning more towards "emo" being the third one.

RabbitHoleLost
2017-02-03, 06:37 PM
Ten years ago, I had another username on ye old Playground and was dating a controlling ******* who made me close that account down, jealous of the close friendships I had developed here.
When I broke up with him, I made a new account and was going thru an Alice in Wonderland phase (it was two years before the terrible Burton film came out)
And there you have it.

Sajiri
2017-02-03, 07:22 PM
I'm going to take 2 guesses.

1) BlackDemonWolf

2) BlackDemonGrasshopper Mouse...

It's the second one right?!

Btw, love the Avatar. Awesome art style.

It was the first one :p I was pretty new to the internet and was looking about my room trying to come up with a username. I believe I was wearing black and loved wolves, but blackwolf and all its variations were taken on whatever site that was.

Also thanks! Was thinking of updating the avatar with a drawing of my newest campaign character though

Fishyninja
2017-02-04, 04:27 AM
It was the first one :p I was pretty new to the internet and was looking about my room trying to come up with a username. I believe I was wearing black and loved wolves, but blackwolf and all its variations were taken on whatever site that was.

Also thanks! Was thinking of updating the avatar with a drawing of my newest campaign character though

I say go for it! Also I was pretty close with Grasshopper Mouse....they howl like wolves too! Hell as stated before I've been using mine for well over 10 years now and it seems to work.

SirKazum
2017-02-04, 05:59 AM

Hey we've all made names like that and sometimes get attached to them... I'm still known in most places as Lynx Cat, which is hardly really creative and is something I came up with when I was like 13 or something, but I've come to respond to it practically even more than to my real name :smalltongue:

Smithsguild
2017-02-04, 12:02 PM
My LARP character (NERO ATL) many, many years ago was Guildmaster of the Counties Smithsguild so I made it an email for ease of requesting IG production.

My friends started using it for all e-mail correspondence and I eventually migrated to it as my main E-mail. A RP email seemed appropriate for a RP forum so here we are...

onikataki
2017-02-07, 11:33 AM
I came up with my name ... wow 12 years ago during a game of Big Eyes Small Mouths. I made a deal with a Demon to extract revenge on my brother... I have kept the name ever since.

JaggedSun
2017-02-17, 04:27 PM
My father-in-law's wifi password, ha!

orbispelagium
2017-02-22, 01:31 PM
A friend produced a whole bunch of Magic-card names while semi-delirious at 4 AM, and "Orbis Pelagium" just sounded wonderful, and now that's my go-to username for everything.

khadgar567
2017-02-23, 06:32 AM
A friend produced a whole bunch of Magic-card names while semi-delirious at 4 AM, and "Orbis Pelagium" just sounded wonderful, and now that's my go-to username for everything.
you know this sounds like good spell name for random rpg.

Gobblin goblin
2017-02-24, 11:25 PM
I was playing a card game parody of pathfinder and up came the card "gobblin" which increased a monster cards combat bonus and it was played on the goblin. I started using it for games and it just stuck.

Vorpal Soda
2017-02-25, 07:11 PM
A very strange and bizarre RPG where one plot involved the dreaded vorpal soda, a drink which once drunk causes refreshment, followed by the brain exploding.

Apparently, they were going to put it into the water supply as part of an evil scheme.

Then the players blew everything up.

The villains ended up being drowned in their own creation.

Well, okay, they didn't exactly drown, but they were still killed by their own creation.

digiman619
2017-02-26, 04:27 AM
It's super lame, but back in high school (about 15 years ago), I was really into Digimon Adventure (both series; TK X Kairi was my first ship). I though I was being clever and original by turning the -mon into -man. However, after high school, I lost internet access and didn't get it back even semi-regularly until around 2009. By then, it'd I went to make an e-mail address and found that I wasn't as original as I thought. By then, I'd gotten back into watching WWE and was a huge Rey Mysterio mark, so I appended his 619 finisher to my name to make sure I'd remember it. Of course, I ended up losing that email address (one of my on-and-off access point went off for several months), but I kept the name.

Green Elf
2017-02-27, 09:33 PM
I was going to play an elf character in the FFRP so I decided to make a Gauntlet reference.

Beaverton
2017-02-28, 11:16 PM
Oh cool! A fun thread for me to contribute to for my first (second?) official post!

Well, when I met my best friends, I was invited to a bunch of events and stuff and got really close with them and eventually made a Facebook groupchat with them.

Anyway, one of my friends had a really finicky touchscreen and to make matters even more finicky, she used swipe with autocorrect. Her phone did NOT like my name (Brandon). Every time she tried to type my name in, it showed up as Beaverton. So, eventually she got fed up and was too lazy to fix it so she just said that my name would henceforth be, Beaverton (Beavs for short). So that's the story!

IcarusWulfe
2017-03-01, 04:01 PM
Icarus Wulfe was the name of my most beloved D&D character, an upbeat and somewhat naive artificer in a party of loners and edgelords (we were freshmen ok).

HouseTully
2017-03-01, 04:20 PM
I chose the house whose word's matched the most with my worldview.

Felyndiira
2017-03-01, 04:34 PM
Felyndiira was the name of one of my first D&D characters (also my avatar). She's a CE Drow cleric who wanted to find a way to overthrow her mother and take over her house. After seeing a bunch of surface-race champions run amok in the underdark, she decided that the near-universal Drow prejudice was the perfect weakness to exploit, and used an excuse to go to the surface world so that she could manipulate some strong schmucks to come down with her and overthrow her mother.

In the process, she tried to blend in with the ways of the surface people, but being a high-functioning sociopath, she ended up emulating emotions using observations and statistics. This leads to her boiling down basic human emotions into numbers - she'll give advice on love, for example, by giving you a formula and telling you which behaviors will maximize the function, as well as the probabilistic chance of various outcomes for every suggested behavior. She'll also occasionally manipulate non-important people in private and seeing how they react to various situations to add to her improvised psychology model. It's intentionally pretty creepy.

For some reason she ended up becoming one of my favorite characters, and I have a bunch of expies of her that I'd occasionally use in newer games.

Grand Arbiter
2017-04-04, 10:10 PM
This thread is still open to share how you came up with your name.
There have been some interesting stories so far, why not add your own?

robnar
2017-04-04, 10:49 PM
My real name's rob. When playing Mount & Blade Warband, there is an option to play as a mongol-inspired faction (the Khergit). When picking a name for my mongol warlord, instead of going with one of my regular video game names I went for "Robnar Khan", which sounded appropriate. It's stuck with me since, especially because (in moments of triumph) I can shout "ROBNAR!" in the Trogdor the Burninator voice.

Simetra Irertne
2017-04-05, 07:47 AM
My name is the name of my favorite character, backwards. It still looks reasonably arcane. Most of the other usernames I use are based on owlbears or my D&D character names, but I didn't want to be too consistent. That way I can't be tracked. They will never find me.

Fendrick
2017-04-08, 07:35 AM
I don't know why, but I named one of my pet rats Fendrick, and I really like how it sounds like a knight's name like Sir Fendrick, so it kinda suited my pet rat who was a bit aloof but utterly lovable. And in memory of Fendrick, I often use it as my username!

Honest Tiefling
2017-04-08, 01:58 PM
I like tieflings. Tieflings are honest people. Hence the very creative name.

Lord of Gifts
2017-04-08, 03:30 PM
Well, I go by Annatar on one or two other places.
Tolkien fans should get it.

Aéquitas
2017-04-08, 03:38 PM
Boondock Saints ofcourse 😊 Best movie ever.

golentan
2017-04-08, 03:40 PM
Well, I go by Annatar on one or two other places.
Tolkien fans should get it.

You're going to have one hell of a time proposing.

LovelyVulcan
2017-04-08, 05:39 PM
Lovely lovely vulcan cosplay. :smallsmile: I haven't seen much cosplay on here, but I will keep looking /eyesemoji™

Lord of Gifts
2017-04-08, 05:39 PM
You're going to have one hell of a time proposing.
Yeah, but I get to do it 16 times.
Should probably deal with those pesky Hobbits before hand though. Might save me trouble in the long run.

Also, can I sig this?

golentan
2017-04-08, 05:46 PM
Yeah, but I get to do it 16 times.
Should probably deal with those pesky Hobbits before hand though. Might save me trouble in the long run.

Also, can I sig this?

Sure, just remember who your friends are when you conquer the world. :smallwink:

TavernCharacter
2017-04-08, 10:06 PM
I picked my name as a proud npc. I was astonished no one had claimed it before.

LovelyVulcan
2017-04-08, 10:42 PM
I picked my name as a proud npc. I was astonished no one had claimed it before.

I love it! I almost took 'GenericTeamRocketGrunt' for such pride in NPCs.

Peelee
2017-04-08, 10:51 PM
Lovely lovely vulcan cosplay. :smallsmile: I haven't seen much cosplay on here, but I will keep looking /eyesemoji™

Thinking about changing my avatar to my First Order TK, once I've got it all built. Waiting on the gaskets before I can start trimming the armor.

LovelyVulcan
2017-04-08, 11:01 PM
Thinking about changing my avatar to my First Order TK, once I've got it all built. Waiting on the gaskets before I can start trimming the armor.
Dude, I would love to see it! Do you have it posted anywhere?

Peelee
2017-04-08, 11:19 PM
Dude, I would love to see it! Do you have it posted anywhere?

Nope. Armor is all in pieces, can't get it built yet until I have everything in. I got a Tusken and a Jedi though. Tusken looks like crap now - it was my first 501st build.

Ilmarë
2017-04-09, 08:00 AM
Named after the Maia handmaiden of Varda, and chosen because of the real-world religious connections.

Inevitability
2017-04-09, 09:52 AM
I like DF, I like Lawfulness, and I like long words. 'Inevitability' seemed a logical pick.

kleon
2017-04-13, 09:55 AM
It's like shooting fish in a barrel. I like "Léon: The Professional" movie. So, it's killer Leon )

StarLightPips
2017-04-17, 02:00 AM
Star has been my alias on the internet since I was 14, Starlight was recommended by a friend and pips just sounds cute, yay me!

JinkyS
2017-04-17, 04:37 AM
My nickname is a combination of my idol's name and his music group. I love them, so I named JinkyS

RsdntBrowncoat
2017-04-17, 02:33 PM
Firefly fan. Giantip wouldn't let me use my full ResidentBrowncoat Steam tag, so I ditched the vowels on the first word.

2017-04-18, 01:05 AM
It's a reasonably high number.

Peelee
2017-04-18, 09:22 AM
It's a reasonably high number.

This had been the best response yet.

2017-04-18, 05:54 PM
I hadn't intended it to be funny, but I'm glad you got some enjoyment out of it anyway.

martixy
2017-04-28, 06:04 PM
Mine has been a play on my name for well... ages.

Basically, I came up with it around 13 years of age, when I first got broadband internet and it has stuck for more than a decade.

Tiri
2017-04-29, 10:36 PM
I like DF, I like Lawfulness, and I like long words. 'Inevitability' seemed a logical pick.

Any story behind your old moniker of 'Dire_Stirge'?

Griffith!
2017-04-30, 04:19 AM
I like Berserk. It's best manga. And my favorite character is Guts, but when I first read it with no foreknowledge of what was going to happen, I loved Griffith. He was such a cool character that his eventual turn really hit me hard. And like my boy Guts, I felt betrayed. So when he starts screaming his former friend's name in his berserker rage, I empathize. Hence the name - which ideally would be written GRIFFITH!!! To emphasize the emotions displayed in my similarly themes avatar.

But either way, I'm not named after the character. It's actually a quote directed at that character.

I'm a nerd.

Inevitability
2017-05-01, 04:25 AM
Any story behind your old moniker of 'Dire_Stirge'?

I was new to D&D and the naming scheme of taking an animal and putting 'dire' in front of it was amusing to me. No idea why I settled on stirges specifically, though some searching does reveal I was doing some research on them for a game I was running a few days before I joined.

EDIT: So, I did some more searching, and found my first post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?322040-Request-an-Oots-Style-Avatar-XXIII&p=17071332#post17071332), where I asked for a stirge avatar. Apparently picture link I posted now leads to an image of incense. :smalltongue:

Hagashager
2017-05-01, 11:18 PM
It's an inside joke dating all the way back to middle-school. When I started going onto the internet I used it as a profile name and its stuck ever since.

TheBrain
2017-05-02, 05:52 PM
I never had a nickname growing up. I only recently even thought of moving the I in my name and calling myself "TheBrain" on Steam and a few other places on the internet. For the last 15 years or so I've gone by some form of the name "Razor" or "King Razor" as my gamertag/handle on most games and forums. Goes back to a fictional story I wrote in middle school.

TheChelaxian
2017-05-02, 06:31 PM
TheChelaxian, 'cause if I had to pick a fantasy nation to live in, it be Cheliax.