PDA

View Full Version : Original System Paper Mario Tabletop Edition [PEACH]

MoleMage
2016-09-27, 11:57 AM
Unblocked spoilers for games from the turn of the 21st century to follow. If you have added these games to your nostalgia backlog on the recommendation of a friend, read at your own risk (there aren't many spoilers, but there are some references to characters and abilities that are mildly plot spoiling). You have been warned.

The Paper Mario games (especially the first one and TTYD) are among my favorite RPGs and favorite games in general. One day while bored, I decided I would attempt to convert the actual battle system of the games into a tabletop environment. I wanted a way to play as the party members, not necessarily Mario or Luigi or people of such high caliber, but more on the lines of the four heroes from the TTYD backstory.

Of course, once I started doing that, I came to the conclusion that really, every party member falls into a certain class in those two games, many of which are shared by enemies (except Sushi, Watt, Flurry, and Vivienne, but more on those in a bit). And, for extra interest, almost every party member falls into a shared field role with a party member from the other game (Flurry, Lakilester, Watt, and Ms. Mowz are the outsiders here, but again more on that in a bit). So I needed a class system, where the classes represented styles of attacking and associated field actions.

Finally, I needed races, and in a departure from many modern tabletop games, classes are heavily race restricted. This is for physical reasons for the most part, like how Goombas and Toads don't have shells.

I'm going to post some analysis and leave a room for questions on this first post. I'll reserve the next three posts for mechanics, races, and classes respectively.

Analysis
My main goals for classes were to represent the most common generic types of attacking. After the obvious two of Mario's attack styles (jumping and hammers), any attack style which is shared by a party member in both games, as well as any attack style shared by a party member and one or more enemies was given preference. After that, attack styles shared by multiple enemies, but not necessarily a party member. Some party members fell onto edge cases, which is generally represented by the race representing that character having baseline access to one or another class's attacks on a generic level.
Each class also has one or more field actions associated with it. Those field actions tend to represent the field actions granted by the player's party, but do not always line up with the attack style of that party member (Parakerry's attacks generally take the style of Shell, occasionally, Magic, while his field action was folded together with Jump, for example).
My class selections are as follows:

Jump (Shared by Mario, Goombario, Goombette, countless generic enemies, and Baby Yoshi). Jumping attacks in the games have the widest variety, being able to flip enemies, cause status, hit multiple targets, hit the same target consecutively, and of course deal damage. Their drawback is being unable to hit enemies with spikes (barring Spike Shield). Jump will likely lose some of its status badges to the newly developed classes, but will continue to be the premier class for flipping enemies (an important mechanic both in the games and in the tabletop game). Jump field actions allow the party to jump higher or farther, or break ground tiles (Parakerry/Yoshi field effect, as well as a super high jump and the ground pound).

Hammer (Shared by Mario and a handful of generic enemies). Mario's way to deal heavy single-hit damage (bypassing defense more effectively) will continue to be a heavy single-hit attack style. Hammer attacks in the game mostly focused on dealing damage in different ways, especially quake damage, but were unable to be used on flying enemies (except for Hammer Throw). The hammer style will represent this. Hammer field actions are used to break certain blocks (as in the games).

Shell (Shared by Kooper, Koops, Parakerry, and generic koopas, paratroopas, and buzzy beetles). Shell is the partner version of Hammer. Of my classes, it is one of three that doesn't really fit the generic attack idea, but were iconic enough to be included. It does have one unique trait, though, in that enemies that block from the side are not able to damage attacking ground koopas. I am focusing the Shell trait more on defense (Koops was the only party member with a defense stat in TTYD), to differentiate it from Hammer in the tabletop game. The shell field action will allow the activating of distant switches (similar to Kooper and Koops' field actions, but without the item grabbing, as I had more classes than generic field actions).

Blast (or Bomb, shared by Bombette, Admiral Bobbery, and generic Bob-ombs and a few ghosts). Bomb lands somewhere between Jump and Hammer, being weak to sideways defense and ground only, while also dealing heavy single-hit damage and being able to flip. Blast is the second of the three non-generic varieties of attack, included because it exists once again on two party members. Blast is unique in dealing Explosion damage, a damage type that is effective against fire creatures in both games, and which also clears the fog machine effect in TTYD. It will be less effective than Hammer in the tabletop, in exchange for greater versatility and higher Heart Point totals. The blast field action breaks open cracked walls.

Magic (Shared by Vivienne and various Shy Guy and Magikoopa variants). Magic is somewhat underrepresented in Mario's party (some party members, like Bow, Flurry, and Sushi, have odd attacks out that represent it), but many consumable items and enemies use the equivalent of spell casts, and I draw inspiration from those traits. Magic will inherit some of the jump badges centered on inflicting status effects, and will also have the easiest access to the fire and electricity damage types, which cause ongoing damage and pierce defense respectively. The magic field action will take the spiritual place of Flurry and Watt Jr, revealing hidden objects by removing illusions.

Throw (Shared by Lakilester and countless enemies). Throwing things is probably the third most common way Mario's team gets attacked, after getting jumped on and getting run into, but the only party member who focuses on throwing things is Lakilester (Baby Yoshi and Bobbery have special attacks that throw things as well, and Mario's Hammer Toss badge causes his hammer to look like this). The throw attack style will have the advantage of not having a lot of disadvantages (being able to attack spiky enemies as well as airborne enemies while dealing mostly moderate damage), with the added identity of being the go-to style for multi-target attacks (whereas the basic jump is multiple hits on a single target). The throw field action is new to my system, and allows the activation of vertically distant switches, much like the shell action allows the activation of horizontally distant switches.

Tongue (Shared by Baby Yoshi and a handful of enemies). Strictly speaking, this isn't a generic either in the descriptive or gameplay sense. Only one party member, and very few enemies, attack Mario and Co. by eating and then spitting them out. However, Yoshis are such an iconic race in the Marioverse that I included the Tongue class largely so that they would have the self-imposed three class options without having to stretch the Yoshi race. In order to meet the also self-imposed two race minimum for a class, I added Tongue to Boos (who do have large tongues), which I was struggling to select a third class for as well. Tongue will specialize in attacks that bypass defense, while having well-rounded stats in contrast to Magic's more fragile Heart Point totals. As I expand the classes, Tongue will also be my most likely source of Poison damage. For its field action, Tongue has inherited the item-grabbing ability of the koopa party members in game.

Sneak (Shared by Bow, Ms. Mowz, and to an extent Baby Yoshi, as well as Bandits, Big Bandits, and generic boos). The sneak class in the games is an even more multi-hit specialized variant than jump. While jump does two small attacks, each of which increase when jump power increases, upgrading the sneaky attackers instead gives more attacks with each upgrade. I have chosen to maintain this distinction (jump does Power, then Power again on a successful attack, Sneak does 1 damage a number of times equal to power, up to double power based on the success of the attack). Sneak attacks will also have some of the disabling powers seen used against Mario and company (action disable) and of course...thievery. The sneak field actions will focus on the First Strike capabilities of both allies and enemies, and will allow passage through grates (much like Bow and Vivienne's field actions do).

Unincluded As I mentioned in the first part of this post, some party members are not fully represented by my selected classes. In most cases, that is because the mechanical role that party member represents (what sort of damage they deal) overlaps too heavily with a more robustly represented class (for example, Vivienne, though her normal attack is a punch, deals fire damage, while Watt Jr. pierces defenses, both of which are incorporated by the Magic class). However, only a single party member is unrepresented in either attack type or field action, and that is Sushi. The long and short of why this is is that it would have required too many liberties to make Sushi's trademark water attacks fit a multi-race paradigm (even moreso than Tongue, as at least Boos show large tongues and on some occasions, the tendency to eat people). Likewise, Sushi's field action was replaced with a Mario upgrade in the sequel (left behind as a partner action along with Lakilester's avoiding floor hazards and Watt's providing light, which didn't even get that much). The long and short of it is that Sushi's mechanical and thematic niche was too narrow to make a good generic class (as was her race, which we will see when I get to the race post).
The other elephant to address is the all-to-common enemy attack style of ramming Mario and Co. I chose not to include this as an attack type because only two party members (Flurry and Bombette) demonstrate this as their generic attack, and because it has no identifying mechanical trait.

MoleMage
2016-09-27, 11:58 AM
The main focus of my conversion is on the Battle System. This all really boils down to one big reason: the field portion of the Paper Mario games all revolve around exploration and puzzle solving. While the second can be (and is) included in a tabletop conversion, exploration is just more fun in a real-time medium like a video game (or I guess a LARP if someone wanted to do a LARP version of this). The puzzles in the game almost all revolve around the use of one or more Field Actions (including Mario's shoe and hammer upgrades) and as such I have included rules for those in the class section.

The Core Mechanic
Action commands were the heart and soul of the Paper Mario mechanic (humor was the heart and soul of the games themselves, but that's up to your DM). Each attack asked you to do a different thing to succeed, and your failure or success, rather than determining whether you hit, determined how effective your hit was. I have endeavored to maintain both aspects of this as much as possible while converting to a tabletop-friendly luck-based system. To that end, the game uses six different types of symbol d6s, with different attacks calling for different symbols. The dice, identified by color below, have the following symbol distributions:

Red
Mushroom
Mushroom
Coin
POW Block
Leaf
Heart

Yellow
Coin
Coin
POW Block
Leaf
Heart
Flower

Blue
POW Block
POW Block
Leaf
Heart
Flower
Mushroom

Orange
Leaf
Leaf
Heart
Flower
Mushroom
Coin

Purple
Heart
Heart
Flower
Mushroom
Coin
POW Block

White
Flower
Flower
Mushroom
Coin
POW Block
Leaf

As you can probably see, there's a pattern to these. This is deliberate, because rather than an action having a pool of associated dice (Jump attack: Roll X Red, X Orange), rather each character has a unique dice pool. This means that each character will be inherently better at some actions (especially those actions for which they have multiple of the most applicable die) and worse at others. To ensure that no player is ever bad at their main class's action, each class focuses on a specific Symbol (this also represents how similar attacks tended to have similar action commands, like hammers always involving holding left on the thumbstick), with Jump: Leaf, Hammer/Shell: POW, Throw/Tongue: Mushroom, Sneak: Coin, Magic: Flower, Blast: Heart.

When a player uses an attack, that attack will have a description of who it hits and what it does (as well as whether it is weak to certain defensive traits), largely managed by Keyworks in the next spoiler. The player rolls their dice pool and the basic effects of the attack are guaranteed. Every attack will also have an entry for Action Command such as this: Action Command [POW, Leaf] which indicate what symbol(s) must be shown in order for an action command to be successful. The description following Action Command will detail what the attack does differently or additionally if the Action Command was a success.

For variable success attacks (such as Power Bounce/Multibonk), I also included the option for Special Action Commands, which allow the player to have different degrees of successful action command. The basic attacks for Throw and Sneak implement this (see the Class post below, once I get my data copied over).

Finally, most attacks have the option to be Stylish (as in TTYD). Stylish attacks generate more Star Power, and often have additional benefits on top of that (Stylish Shell Shot gives an extra defending die, for example). Stylish uses the same notation as Action Command, but has stricter requirements. By my initial ruleset, there is a loophole where an attack can by Stylish but not have a successful Action Command. I am debating whether to close this implicitly (all Stylish commands require their Action Command plus some additional symbols), explicitly (even if they symbols allow, a failed action command means that Stylish does not occur), or to leave it open (its effects are distinct from the Action Command), and am open to feedback on whether you think this should be removed and in what way.

As in the games, Defense will lower the damage taken by an attack (to a minimum of zero) by a flat amount. Some player races have defense, and badges (and of course enemies) may have this stat as well.

Defending is still in limbo. I have two schools of thought on it. The first, and most prevalent, is to leave all or most rolling in the hands of the players. This frees the DM of the need to manufacture dice pools for every enemy, with the added quirk of making different players good at defending against different attacks. With this system, players would have an action command to defend (reduce damage by 1, as in the game), and a stylish action command to Super Guard (prevent all damage, deal 1 damage to enemy if the attack is [Self]), each of which is defined by the enemy's attack but resolved using the player's pool. This is the most faithful to the game, and reduces bookkeeping for the DM.

The other option is of course for enemies to essentially be characters, and the DM to roll their dice pools to determine attack success. While this has some attraction for bosses, I think it would fall flat for generic enemies.
As in the games, the entire player team will attack and then the entire enemy team. However, also as in the games (or at least TTYD, where partners had HP totals), the order of the attacks is important. The first player to act will always be the frontmost player, meaning that if you want your Magikoopa to lay on some debuffs before the party attacks, you had best be prepared for him to soak enemy [First Target] attacks for a round. As with any game, certain options may exist that allow the circumvention of this (specifically, the adaptation of Quick Change will change attack order in some way).
Star Power attacks are on my to-do list before being ready to play. They were a large part of the games, and I think they would be fun. Unlike in the games, any party member will be able to trigger them, but limited to one per round and only by spending the shared star power of the party. Successful action commands and stylish commands will regenerate Star Power.

Star Power attacks will use the combined dice of every party member in their Action Commands, which will almost always be Special Action Commands.

Keywords
The attacks in the games often share similar traits, such as only being able to hit ground enemies, or which side of the enemy they attack (for enemies who resist attacks directionally), whether they involve contact, etc. To that end, I have identified some Keywords as a shorthand for these common traits. Where the reason for trait inclusion is not obvious, I indicate why I chose to include it (many are not currently used but I expect will be relevant

[Self] : The attack is made with part of the attacker’s body, such as a body slam, kick, punch, or stomp. If a [Melee, Self] attack is made against a target with spikes on the point of contact (see [Top] and [Side] below), the attack fails and the attacker takes 1 point of damage.
[Weapon] : The attack is made with a weapon of some type. [Weapon] attacks are never subject to spikes.
[Melee] : The attack must be made adjacent to the target or even come into direct contact with them. Some abilities or traits may protect from or even retaliate against [Melee] attacks.
[Side] : The attack is made from the target’s side. Certain traits, such as spikes, only affect attacks from a specific angle.
[Top] : The attack is made against the top of the enemy, such as jumping on it. Certain traits, such as spikes, only affect attacks from a specific angle. Enemies with the ceiling trait are immune to [Top] attacks.
[Low Attack] : The attack may only target enemies near to the ground. Flying or ceiling enemies are never subject to [Low Attack].
[First Target] : First Target attacks may only affect the nearest eligible target. Enemies outside the targeting restrictions are ignored (such as Flying enemies for [Low Attack] attacks, or any enemy which is untargetable), but enemies within the targeting restrictions who are immune or otherwise negate the attack are not.
[Next Target]: Next Target is a keyword in descriptions of attacks that normally affect [First Target]. The [Next Target] is the nearest eligible target which has not already been attacked this turn. For example, the Multibounce badge allows the user to attack each target in order until they have attacked all targets or they fail their action command, but cannot hit a target more than once.
[Ranged] : The attack is made by throwing, shooting, or otherwise launching a projectile of some type. [Ranged] attacks are generally not susceptible to retaliation, though some abilities or traits may protect against or reflect [Ranged] attacks.
[Fire] : The attack gains the [Fire] damage type. [Fire] damage is useful against some types of targets, especially ice foes.
[Shock] : The attack gains the [Shock] damage type. [Shock] damage automatically ignores up to 5 points of defense on the target. [Shock] damage is useful against some types of targets, especially robotic or metallic foes.
: The attack gains the [Ice] damage type. [Ice] damage is useful against some types of targets, especially fire foes. Any [Ice] attack automatically ignores the flame trait of the target, allowing [Self] attacks to affect those targets normally. If an [Ice] attack deals damage and is Stylish, the target is frozen until the end of their next turn.
[Quake] : The attack shakes the ground. [Quake] damage has no effect on units which are not touching a surface, such as through the flying or hover traits.
[Explosion] : The attack gains the [Explosion] damage type. [Explosion] damage is useful against some types of targets, especially fire foes.
[Multi] : The attack targets multiple targets. Some targets (generally individually targetable limbs) are exempt from [multi] attacks.
[Flip] : The attack [Flips] enemies with the [I]Flippable trait.

In addition to these attack keywords, I have a shorter list of target keywords, traits possessed by a party member or character at all times which interact with many of the above keywords.

Flying: If you have flying you cannot be targeted by [Low Attack], and are not subject to [Quake] attacks or floor hazards.
Hover: You are not in contact with the ground. You are not truly flying, and are therefore still subject to [Low Attack], but you are not affected by [Quake] attacks or floor hazards.
Flippable: Some attacks specify that they flip the target under certain conditions. If you have flippable you are susceptible to these effects, and gain whatever penalty is associated with your flippable description.
Spikes: Some enemies or characters have sharp spikes above them or to the side. [Melee, self] attacks that contact the spikes are negated, dealing one damage to the attacker. Refer to the trait that grants spikes to see whether they are on top or on the sides of the character.
Ceiling: The character or enemy is attached to the ceiling. While on the ceiling, the unit is immune to [Top] attacks, can only be targeted in [Melee] by flying or ceiling units, and is susceptible to [Quake] attacks, even if they would not be normally. A unit cannot simultaneously be flying and ceiling.
Flame: The character is on fire. Any [Self] attack against a unit with flame is negated, and the attacker takes one [Fire] damage.
Electric: The character emits sparks as they discharge excess electricity. Any [Self] attack against an electric unit causes the attacker to take 1 [Shock] damage. If the attack is a multiple-hit attack, only the first hit has any effect. Electric characters ignore the electric ability in other characters.

(My general habit has been to notate Character Traits in italics and notate Attack Traits by enclosing them in [Square Brackets]. Some instances of [Flip] may appear as flip as my notes on that predate this notational scheme).

MoleMage
2016-09-27, 11:59 AM
My logic for selecting races was similar to my logic in selecting classes, with more focus given to iconic and repeatable character races. A larger number of Mario's team are unrepresented here, for the simple fact that many of them are unique instances rather than members of a common Mario species. For that reason, Shadow Sirens, Wind Spirits, and whatever Watt Jr. was are not included.
Cheep Cheeps, Lakitus, and Squeeks are also not included, despite party members of these non-unique races existing. In the case of the latter, you can easily create one by reskinning a Bandit Guy. For Cheep Cheep and Lakitu, I have not included them yet because they cannot fill my three-class requirement (I plan on adding Unique Races later, which will ignore some of my desired traits).

Humans are also not intended as playable. My interpretation of how Humans would fit into this tabletop is that Humans are essentially dual-classed characters; that is, they possess all of the stats, capabilities, and basic attacks and field actions of two classes, and can equip badges for either of those two classes. In the case of Mario, he has Jump and Hammer as his classes. If you want to play a Human, upgrade the Toad's versatility racial trait to a full second class (rather than Basic and Field + limit 1 badge), including stats, dice, and stat gains on level-up. Or just reskin a bog-standard Toad.

Some races include Variants. A player may only choose a single variant per character unless otherwise noted (Shy Guys have a special case). For races without variants, class variants (none designed so far) or generic variants described here may be used instead.

Generic Variants
The first two of these are unique to my conversion, the latter two are permanent versions of the Simplify and Desimplify badges.

Tough: You have 4 additional HP. You have 2 fewer FP.
Strong: You have 2 fewer HP. You do one additional damage the first time you damage an enemy each round.
Flashy: You have 4 additional FP. Your attacks which do not cost FP have their damage reduced by 1 (minimum 1).
Crowd Pleaser: When you pull off a stylish move, you generate thrice your power as bonus Star Power instead of twice your power. If you fail your Action Command, your attack deals only half damage and you do not generate any star power.
Easy Goer: When you pull off a stylish move, you generate only one times your power as bonus Star Power instead of twice your power. You may reroll a single die of your choice after attempting an Action Command.

I am aware that there are no Toads playable in the Paper Mario games. I'm using them as the lower-power stand-in for Humans (plus Prince Mush should totally have been a party member).
Toad
Base HP: 15; Base FP: 5
Level-Up: +3 HP, +1 FP, +2 BP
Starting Dice: 1x any color, 1x any other color
Versatile: Select any one class except Shell, Tongue, or Blast, other than your primary class. You may use that class’s basic attack and field actions, and may set a single badge for that class (which still requires BP) without a corresponding Secondary Class badge. Alternately, gain an additional die, the color for which may not be either of the colors you gained for your racial dice.
Classes: Select any one class except Shell, Tongue, or Blast to be your primary class. You may set badges and use equipment for that class.

Toads may use any of the generic character or class variants. They do not have any race-specific variants.

Koopa
Base HP: 12, Base FP: 5
Level-Up: +2 HP, +1 FP, +2 BP
Starting Dice: 1x Blue, either 1x Red or 1x White
Shelled: Koopas have a defense of 1, and the flippable trait. When flipped, the Koopa loses its defense and its next action, after which it gains its defense again. You may use the Shell class’s basic attack and field actions, even if it is not your primary class. If you select Shell as your primary class, you may add one blue die to your pool.
Classes: Select one class to be your primary class from the following: Shell, Hammer, Magic, or Throw. You may set badges and use equipment for that class.

Koopa Variants:
Koopa Bros: Koopa Bros do not have the Flippable trait on their Shelled feature. They may not use the Shell class’s basic attack or field abilities due to the Shelled feature, and may not select the Shell class as their primary class.

Parakoopa: Parakoopas have 2 fewer HP than Koopas. Parakoopas gain the Flying feature below. Parakoopas may not take the Hammer class as their primary class.

Flying: Parakoopas have flying, and the flippable trait. When flipped, the Parakoopa becomes grounded. They can use an action to resume flying. While Flying, Parakoopa [Self] attacks do not suffer from the [Low Attack] or [First Target] restrictions. This feature stacks with the Shelled feature of the Koopa.

Magikoopa: Magikoopa have 2 more FP than Koopas, and gain an additional +1 FP on level-up. Magikoopa lose the Shelled feature and gain the Magic Talent feature below. Magikoopa may not take the Hammer or Shell class as their primary class, but may take the Sneak class as their primary class.
Magic Talent: Magikoopa may use the Magic class’s basic attack and field actions, even if it is not their primary class. If the Magikoopa selects Magic as their primary class, they gain one additional white die in their pool.

Goomba
Base HP: 15, Base FP: 5
Level-up: +3 HP, +1 FP, +2 BP
Starting Dice: 1x Orange, either 1x White or 1x Yellow
Tattle: Goombas may use the tattle ability to reveal hints about a room, individual, or enemy. See the “Racial Field and Combat Abilities” section for details (NB: I haven't actually written this section yet). In addition, Goombas begin play with one extra badge point.
Classes: Goombas may select the Jump, Magic, or Sneak class as their primary class. You may set badges and use equipment for that class.

Goomba Variants
Paragoomba: Paragoombas have 2 fewer HP than Goombas. Paragoombas gain the Flying feature below.

Flying: Paragoombas have flying, and the Flippable trait. When flipped, the Paragoomba becomes grounded. They can use an action to resume flying. While flying, Paragoomba [Self] attacks do not suffer from the [Low Attack] or [First Target] restrictions.

Bob-omb
Base HP: 17, Base FP: 5
Starting Dice: 1x Purple, either 1x Orange or 1x Red
Fuse: Bob-ombs may use the Blast basic attack and field actions, even if that is not their primary class. If the Bob-omb’s primary class is Blast, they may add one purple die to their pool.
Classes: Bob-ombs may select the Blast, Jump, or Throw class as their primary class. You may set badges and use equipment for that class.

Bob-omb Variants
Bob-ulk: Bob-ulks have 5 additional HP compared to Bob-ombs, and gain one additional HP at each level. Bob-ulks gain the Powder Keg feature below.

Powder Keg: Bob-ulks are packed with so much explosive power that they can’t keep it under control. Whenever they take damage from a [Fire] or [Explosion] attack, they immediately deal 1 damage to themselves and all allies (their damage to themself bypasses defense, but allies use defense as normal).

Again, there are no Shy Guy party members. However, they have a wide variety of forms in the games, and I am a personal fan, so I made stats for them.

Shy Guy
Base HP: 13, Base FP: 7
Level-up: +2 HP, +2 FP, +2 BP
Starting Dice: either 1x Orange or 1x Red. You gain an additional die for your Became the Mask racial variant.
Became the Mask: Shy Guys must select one racial variant from below. This does not count as their variant, meaning they may take either a second racial variant, a universal variant, or a class variant in addition to Became the Mask.
Classes: Shy Guys may all take the Throw or Jump class as their primary class. Each Shy Guy variant makes one additional class available. You may set badges and use equipment for your primary class.

Shy Guy Variants

Fly Guy: Fly Guys fly through the use of the Apparatus Flying feature described below. Additionally, they have the Bombardment trait below. Fly Guys may additionally take the Blast class as their primary class.

Became the Mask: If you gain Fly Guy through Became the Mask, gain an additional purple die.
Apparatus Flying: Fly Guys are flying. Attacks may target their flight apparatus, which deals no damage to the Fly Guy but removes its flying for three turns. While flying Fly Guy [Self] attacks do not suffer from the [First Target] or [Low Attack] restrictions. The Fly Guy’s flying apparatus is exempt from being damaged by [Multi] attacks.
Bombardment: Fly Guys may use the Throw class’s basic attack and field abilities. If the Fly Guy’s primary class is Throw, they instead add a single red die to their pool.

Medi Guy: Medi Guys have their Base FP increased by +2. They gain the Healer feature described below. Medi Guys may additionally take the Magic class as their primary class.

Became the Mask: If you gain Medi Guy through Became the Mask, gain an additional white die.
Healer: Medi Guys may use the Medic ability to restore health to themselves or allies. See the “Racial Field and Combat Abilities” section for details. Medi Guys regain 1 FP or 1 HP at the end of every combat (their choice each combat).

Hammer Guy: Hammer Guys have their Base HP increased by +2, but their Base FP is reduced by 1. They gain the Always Armed feature described below. Hammer Guys may additionally take the Hammer class as their primary class.

Became the Mask: If you gain Hammer Guy through Became the Mask, gain an additional blue die.
Always Armed: A Hammer Guy may use the basic attack and field actions of the Hammer class, even if it is not their primary class. If they take the Hammer class as their primary class, they add one blue die to their pool.

Shell Guy: Shell Guys have their Base HP reduced by 2, and gain the Hard Hat feature described below. Shell Guys may additionally take the Shell class as their primary class.

Became the Mask: If you gain Shell Guy through Became the Mask, gain an additional blue die.
Hard Hat: A Shell Guy has a defense of 1 due to the shell-like hat they are wearing.

Cannon Guy: Cannon Guys have their Base HP reduced by 1. They gain the Launcher trait described below. Cannon Guys may additionally take the Blast class as their primary class.

Became the Mask: If you gain Cannon Guy through Became the Mask, gain an additional purple die.
Launcher: A Cannon Guy’s [Melee, Weapon] attacks instead become [Ranged, Weapon]. Any [Melee] attack from the Blast class or Blast class badges is additionally considered a [Ranged, Weapon] attack. This otherwise has no effect on [Self] attacks.

Bandit Guy: Bandit Guys gain the Theivery trait described below. Bandit Guys may also choose the Sneak class as their primary class.

Became the Mask: If you gain Bandit Guy through Became the Mask, gain an additional yellow die.
Theivery: A Bandit Guy loves to loot. He gains the Coin Thief ability which he can use to steal coins from enemies instead of dealing damage. See the “Racial Field and Combat Abilities” section for details (as with Tattle under Goombas, this section not yet written).

Boo
Base HP: 14, Base FP: 6
Level-up: +2 HP, +2 FP, +2 BP
Starting Dice: 1x yellow, either 1x purple or 1x white
Bashful Battler: Boos can use the basic attack and field actions of the Sneak class, even if that is not their primary class. If their primary class is the Sneak class, they may add a single yellow die to their pool.
Ghostly: Boos have the hover trait. They are not affected by [Quake] or floor hazards. For their action, the Boo can give themselves flying for one turn.
Classes: Boos may take the Sneak, Magic, or Tongue class as their primary class. You may set badges and use equipment for your primary class.

Boos may take the generic character or class variants. There are no race-specific variants for Boo.

Yoshi
Base HP: 15, Base FP: 5
Starting Dice: 1x red, 1x orange
Adventurous Eater: Yoshis can use the basic attack and field actions of the Tongue class, even if that is not their primary class. If their primary class is the Tongue class, they may add a single red die to their pool.
Classes: Yoshis may take the Tongue, Throw, or Jump class as their primary class. You may set badges and use equipment for your primary class.

Yoshis may take the generic character or class variants. There are no race-specific variants for Yoshis.

Some formatting artifacts may exist from when I moved these onto the forum, but it should be limited to odd line breaks and missing italics or bolding. Let me know if you spot it I'll correct it.

MoleMage
2016-09-27, 12:00 PM
Most of my logic that went into selecting these classes is posted in the initial post under analysis. The mechanics post gives information on keywords and how Action Command and Stylish work. To that end, I'm going to just post these for now, and answer questions as they come up as I have answered my most predicted questions elsewhere.

Hammer [Primary: POW] (Equip: Hammer)
Base HP: +2, Base FP: +0
Level: HP +1, FP +1, BP +1
Starting Dice: 1x blue, 1x white
Basic Attack:
Hammer Swing [Weapon, Melee, Side, Low Attack, First Target] Deals damage equal to Power.

Action Command [POW, Flower] : Deals damage equal to double Power instead.
Stylish [POW, POW, Mushroom] : Generates three times Power as extra Star Power instead of two.

Field Action: Block Breaker.
You can use your hammer to break blocks. Yellow Blocks require a hammer of power 1, Brick Blocks a hammer of power 2, and Stone Blocks a hammer of power 3. You must be horizontally adjacent to the block in order to break it.

Jump [Primary: Leaf] (Equip: Shoe)
Base HP: +2, Base FP: +0
Starting Dice: 1x orange, 1x yellow
Basic Attack
Stomp [Self, Melee, Top] : Deals damage equal to Power.

Action Command [Leaf, Coin]: Flips the target, then deals damage equal to the Power a second time.
Stylish [Leaf, Leaf, Leaf]: No extra effects.

Field Actions:

High Jumper.
You jump higher than most. You can jump up 2 blocks vertical instead of 1 on the field. You can bring any number of allies with you when you do this. Usable with any type of Shoe.
Ground Stomp.
You can break certain breakable panels in the floor and activate heavy switches by jumping on them. Requires a Shoe of Power 2 or greater.
Flutter Kick.
You jump further than most. You can jump over 2 blocks horizontal instead of 1 on the field. You can bring any number of allies with you when you do this. Requires a Shoe of Power 3 or greater.

Shell [Primary: POW] (Equip: Shell)
Base HP: +1, Base FP: +0
Starting Dice: 1x blue, 1x purple
Basic Attack:
Shell Shot [Self, Melee, Side, Low Attack, First Target] Deals damage equal to the Shell’s Power. This attack ignores spikes.

Action Command [POW, Heart]: Deals +1 damage. Increase user’s defense by 1 until start of next Player Phase.
Stylish [POW, POW, Leaf]: User receives an additional die of attacker’s preferred type when defending until start of next player turn.

Field Action: Shell Toss.
You can hurl yourself like a boomerang to hit far away switches. You can activate switches or open loot boxes at a horizontal range of 3 + Power. You can use this ability even across gaps or through half space openings too small to admit you normally. You always return to your starting position when finished.

Blast [Primary: Heart] (Equip: Fuse)
Base HP: +1, Base FP: +1
Starting Dice: 1x purple, 1x red
Basic Attack:
Bomb [Self, Melee, Low Attack, First Target] Deals damage equal to Power. This attack ignores spikes and has no direction. Removes the fog field condition on use.

Action Command [Heart, Mushroom]: Deals Power-1 additional damage (minimum 1) and flips the target.
Stylish [Heart, Heart, Heart]: Deal 1 additional damage. This attack gains the [Explosion] damage type.

Field Action: Explode.
You can damage and consequently destroy cracked walls or objects. You can break wooden walls with a fuse of power 1, stone with a fuse of power 2, and metal with a fuse of power 3.

Magic [Primary: Flower] (Equip: Wand)
Base HP: +0, Base FP: +2
Starting Dice: 1x white, 1x purple
Basic Attack:
Magibolt [Ranged, Side] Deals damage equal to the Wand’s Power.

Action Command [Flower, Heart]: Deals +1 damage and gains [Shock] or [Fire] (user’s choice each time).
Stylish [Flower, Flower, Leaf]: User either gains Electric, or target suffers Burning for three turns, depending on the option chosen by the Action Command.

Field Action: Dispel.
You can remove illusions and magical barriers from the world. The maximum size of illusion you can remove is a square with a side length equal to 2 plus your power. You can remove Blue barriers with a wand of power 1, Green with a wand of power 2, and Red with a wand of power 3.

Throw [Primary: Mushroom] (Equip: Glove)
Starting Dice: 1x red, 1x any other color
Basic Attack:
Ricochet Rock [Ranged, Weapon, Side] Deals damage equal to Power.
Special Action Command: For each unique pairing of Mushroom (including Mushroom/Mushroom), the attack bounces to an additional target. You may only count a given Mushroom once. Targets take one less damage for each bounce, to a minimum of one. You cannot affect the same target more than once per attack.
Special Stylish: If you have at least two Mushrooms remaining which have not been paired, the attack is stylish.

Field Action: Lob.
You can hurl objects to activate hard to reach switches. You can activate switches or open loot boxes at a vertical range of 3 + Power and a horizontal range of 1. You can use this ability even through half space openings too small to admit you.

Tongue [Primary: Mushroom] (Equip: Fruit)
Starting Dice: 1x red, 1x orange
Basic Attack:
Lick, Gulp [Self, Ranged, Side, Low Attack, First Target] Deals damage equal to Power.
Action Command [Mushroom, Leaf]: This attack ignores defense.
Stylish [Mushroom, Mushroom, Coin]: This attack does the same damage also ignoring defense to the next target.

Field Action: Tongue Grab.
You can use your tongue to grab distant items. You can collect items at a horizontal range of 3 + Power. You can use this ability even across gaps or through half space openings too small to admit you normally.

Sneak [Primary: Coin] (Equip: Hood)
Base HP: +0, Base FP: +2, Base BP: +1
Starting Dice: 1x yellow, 1x any other color
Basic Attack
Smack [Self, Melee, Side] Deals 1 damage to the target a number of times equal to Power.

Special Action Command : For each Coin, deal 1 damage an additional time (up to Power).
Stylish [Heart, Leaf, Flower] : Gain additional star power equal to the number of total hits.

Field Actions:

First Strike.
When an enemy on the field attacks you, you can take an Action Command [Coin, Heart] to allow an ally to attack that enemy. If you succeed, an ally of your choice can use their basic attack against the first target in the enemy formation before combat begins. This action can be taken with a Hood of any Power.
Hide.
When an enemy on the field attacks you, you can take an Action Command [Coin, POW] to hide yourself and your party. On a success, that enemy’s attack on you fails and you can move past it unhindered. This action can be taken with a Hood of Power 2 or higher.
Fade.
You are so sneaky you fade from sight entirely. While standing still, you can become almost intangible, ignoring hazards, automatically hiding from enemies (as per the Hide field action) with no check, and passing through or under grates and similar objects. You cannot pass through solid walls with this field action. This action can be taken with a Hood of Power 3 or higher.

As with Races, this is copied from another document I have, and I may have missed some formatting indicators (especially italics). Let me know and I'll fix them.

MoleMage
2016-09-27, 12:01 PM
Reserved for badges. NB: I haven't started this part of the design yet.

Everyone may begin posting now

khadgar567
2016-09-27, 12:30 PM
okay I am intrigued so basically rosalina is pet user luigi is speed one then we have peach daisy, yoshi and man himself the mario

MoleMage
2016-09-27, 01:28 PM
okay I am intrigued so basically rosalina is pet user luigi is speed one then we have peach daisy, yoshi and man himself the mario

I've got races and Classes up now. There isn't really a pet type class as yet, and Humans are not intended for balanced play, though Toads could be reskinned as humans if you really wanted a Mario and Luigi team. Yoshis are explicitly statted out, and can specialize in jumping on, throwing things at, or eating enemies (and all of them can at least eat enemies a little bit).

On this note, I have gotten the abridged version of my work on this posted. I'm interested in answering questions or taking feedback (or contributions, especially for badges and/or class variants) for what I have so far. Over the next few days, I plan to begin the process of converting badges and partner special attacks from the games into badges for the tabletop game.