PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Whip Master feat

Foxydono
2016-09-27, 06:25 PM
Since there is no specific feat for whip users I tried to create one myself. It's for a strength based ranger I'm making with whip+shield.

Whip Master
Prerequisite: Profiency with whip

You are a master of the whip and its varied uses. Your skill with the lash is unmatched.

While wielding a whip you gain the following benefits:

• Your damage with a whip increases to 1d6.
• While you are wielding a whip, other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter your reach.
• On your turn, as a bonus action, you may attempt to disarm, trip or grapple a foe within your reach. The attacker makes an attack roll contested by the target’s Strength (Athletics) check or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If the attacker wins the contest, the attack causes no damage or ill effect, but the defender either drops the item, is knocked prone or is grappled. You can only grapple a creature that is of small, medium or large size. If the defender is grappled, the attacker cannot use the whip until the grapple ends.

RaynorReynolds
2016-09-29, 01:30 PM
I like it. People might actually start using it now. :)

Dominosh
2016-09-30, 10:21 AM
This is pretty cool, really 'feels' like a feat from an "unearthed arcana".

Sir cryosin
2016-10-01, 12:29 PM
I feel the last part is stepping on battle maneuvers to much. Or if you combine it with a battlemaster.it really gives them two maneuvers for free and unlimited. A trip or pull would be better. A trip or knocked prone has a lot of different ways to do it. A pull would be cool because I can't think of a way a non magic use.

TripleD
2016-10-01, 03:55 PM
I feel the last part is stepping on battle maneuvers to much. Or if you combine it with a battlemaster.it really gives them two maneuvers for free and unlimited.

Not to mention that the second ability is something that Whip users would get if they took Sentinel. Personally not a big fan of feats overlapping.

How about a "reach grapple?". You can grapple an opponent who is ten feat away from you using your whip. You may not use your whip with the Attack action until the grapple is broken. You may end the grapple at any time.