PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek: Curiosity (IC)

Malimar
2016-09-27, 09:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NjssV8UuVA

Space: the final frontier.
These are the voyages of the Starship Curiosity.
Her maiden mission: to explore strange new worlds,
to seek out new life and new civilizations,
to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Stardate 57740.2
Two weeks out of drydock at Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards, the brand-new USS Curiosity, that new-ship smell still filtering through the environmental control system, has completed a more or less uneventful (barring an assortment of new-ship problems sorted out by chief engineer Lt. Notaro and her competent engineering team) shakedown cruise, and has been assigned her first official mission: a detailed survey of apparently unclaimed systems near territory controlled by the Gorn Hegemony in the Beta Quadrant.

Entering the Sigma Eochai system (named by a cursory previous survey or long-range astronomical observations), preliminary scans reveal two Class J gas giants, a small uninhabitable class H planet, and a single apparently habitable class M planet. However, scanners soon detect unusually high levels of dangerous polaron radiation (not generally known to be naturally occurring) in the atmosphere of the otherwise M-class planet.

What do you do?

Rizban
2016-09-28, 01:36 AM
Taking the initiative, Lt. Ebrin decides to Perform a Scan, wide band, awaiting further instructions from the captain.
[roll0]

Looks like we're off to a great start! I earned XP on my first roll! :smallbiggrin:

Malimar
2016-09-28, 10:37 AM
Lt. Ebrin marks experience.

The polaron radiation is interfering with the ship's sensors when scanning the interesting M-class planet (which is the second planet from the small yellow dwarf star, and so standard nomenclature has it referred to as Sigma Eochai II, until/unless a better name arises -- if it turns out to be inhabited and the other planets in the system aren't, one might also call it Sigma Eochai Prime). You see three options:

Give up on scanning (for now) -- nothing good, nothing bad
Scan the rest of the system, ignoring Sigma Eochai II (for now) -- ask one question from the Perform a Scan list about anything in the system other than Sigma Eochai II
Recalibrate and boost power to the sensors to overcome the polaron radiation, risking overload -- ask one question from the Perform a Scan list about Sigma Eochai II, but sensors go offline until repaired

What do you do?

Rizban
2016-09-28, 12:49 PM
Since this is just a cursory examination upon entering the system, Ebrin decides to just continue with the wide band scan of the wider area.

Scan the rest of the system, ignoring Sigma Eochai II (for now) -- ask one question from the Perform a Scan list about anything in the system other than Sigma Eochai II
What should I be on the lookout for?

Malimar
2016-09-28, 01:00 PM
What should I be on the lookout for?

After a little while of scanning, sensors pick up faint warp signatures in the general vicinity. The warp signatures are at least a few days old; any older and they probably would have been too faint for the scanners to pick them up amidst the general background radiation of the cosmos. A cursory analysis reveals these signatures to be consistent with Gorn vessels with a 79% certainty -- could be somebody else, but given the proximity to Gorn space, it's probably a safe bet the Gorn have been here, and might come here again. The Gorn are not actively hostile to the Federation at this point, but there is no treaty clearly defining the borders of Gorn space, so if they show up and decide the Curiosity is intruding on their territory, things could get hairy.

Zen Gypsy
2016-09-28, 08:08 PM
Cmdr Khal'el Bhatak, Hot Shot XO (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21227447&postcount=3)
Conditions: None.

He stood with his back against the column atop a small knoll, surrounded by a press of House Kos'karii warriors. He reversed his grip on the Jin'tok spear, swinging the haft low, and sweeping the feet of the first advancing warrior, then swung his spear low, piercing his throat in a purplish spray of blood.

He dropped into a low defensive stance, holding the spear growling a threat against the traitorous Kos'karii warriors. When suddenly a soft, feminine voice rang through the scenario, as the rush of combatants halted, frozen mid-mid stride.

'Priority message from Bridge staff Commander.'

"Status report," as he spoke the image shimmered, replaced by the cold, black grid lines of the holo-suite. He often ran his personal combat program when he couldn't sleep, which was more often than he reported to Commander Oxula.

'Arrival in Sigma Eochai 43 minutes ago; Sensor scans detect class M-planet designated Sigma Eochai II. Large concentration of Polaron radiation; origin undetermined. Multiple decaying warp signatures detected.'

"Thank you Curisoity." He exited the holo-suite, and made his way to the turbolift which would take him directly to the bridge. As the doors slid open he stepped onto the bridge, he turned, nodded towards Ebrin, "Lieutenant, I have been apprised of the situation. Please proceed at three quarters impulse towards the Sigma Eochai II's largest moon, ensure that the moon is between ourselves and the warp signatures entry vector. Continue scans, Commander Polvir will analyze the data."

He stood in front of his seat to the right of the vacant Captain's chair. "Commander Levison, please place us on Stand-By alert."

I am rolling Rank, +2, to Issue Orders. Lets hope it's a good one! [roll0] A good accounting then! Ops, Science & Tactical can take Advantage Forward if they choose to follow my direction. Also, as commanding officer, for the time being, I don't like bossing other players around, so should I leave my orders more open ended to allow more player input?

Rizban
2016-09-28, 09:23 PM
Lt J.G. Ebrin, Operations Officer

My character, being just barely above Ensign, would prefer more direct orders for the most part and in most situations.

Also, I am unsure if a single Issue Orders roll is permitted to grant Advantage Forward to multiple other rolls or if a separate roll is needed for each order given. For the moment, I'm just going to assume it will apply to all in this instance, but if that's not correct, I'd prefer to take Advantage on the Scan rather than the Pilot rolls.

"Aye," is the only confirmation Ebrin gives to the orders given as fingers fly over the console.

Ebrin sets up another scan, narrow band this time, targeting Sigma Eochai II more specifically. Although the scan seems to be going better this time, a science officer on the bridge would be greatly appreciated right now...
[roll0]+1=[11]
Hold 2, preferring:

What kind of lifesigns are present?
What are the immediate dangers?

While that runs, Ebrin takes advantage of the intensive Pilot Training received in the Academy while attempting to move the ship into the exact position ordered.
[roll1]+2=[12]

You get into a more defensible position. (Defense against scans rather than +1 shields?)
You position yourself exactly where you want to in a tight spot.

Malimar
2016-09-28, 10:25 PM
"Forward" applies to "your very next roll"; "Ongoing" applies to all rolls until whatever's giving the modifier changes. But making the character Issuing Orders roll separately for each order issued might be a little silly (and could rack up experience pretty fast). :smallconfused: Four orders were issued to three crew members (though I don't think going to Stand-By alert takes a Move).

For now, let's try it with one Issue Orders roll can apply to multiple orders given at once, and Advantage can be applied once for each order.

Ebrin skillfully pilots the ship into the sensor shadow of Sigma Eochai II's largest moon. It's a good spot, ought to keep Curiosity from being noticed by most scans from the edge of the system.

Ebrin adjusts for the polaron interference, boosts sensor power slightly, and of course the proximity, being in orbit of the planet, helps. He now discovers that the planet has a great deal of plant and animal life, as one would expect from an M-class planet, and he detects signs of pre-industrial civilization (no radio signals, limited atmospheric pollution (other than the polaron radiation), but the surface definitely bears signs of agriculture and urbanization).

There is little immediate danger to the ship or anyone on it (there is some trace radiation this far from the planet's atmosphere, but the ship's hull alone would be sufficient to block it; the shields, properly calibrated, could block much higher levels of radiation), but if anyone were to beam down to the surface, the polaron levels are high enough that even a few hours of exposure could lead to long-term tissue damage. Polaron radiation is dangerous to virtually all organic life -- it's hard to say how a civilization developed under these circumstances. Maybe the radiation is a relatively new situation.

RCgothic
2016-09-29, 01:49 AM
"Ship reports ready sir, and shield generators are at standby," Lt. Commander Levison confirms from the tactical station. "We can bring them online at a moment's notice."

She hesitates briefly, as if considering whether her next statement would be impertinent, but she decides to come out with it anyway:

"Sir, I don't need to remind you that polaron radiation is a distinctive trait of Dominion weapon systems."

Will GM ForFood
2016-09-29, 08:16 AM
Lt. Commander Oxula, Chief Medical Officer

Oxula tensed up, every muscle in her body seizing for a brief second. She then collapsed in the chair, arms going limp. She let out a quiet groan.

"They say the captain is the one who holds the ship together. I'm ready to disagree and say you are, Dendit," Oxula remarked, "I'm also glad that that kelotane derivative powder is helping you not to cause skin irritations in others." The doctor's muscles went taut again as the Bolian giving her a massage dug his elbow into Oxula's back. The Risian lifted her head from the massage chair and looked around at the glorified closet that was painted a soothing blue and had a small Bajoran and chime on a tiny table in the corner. She soon found her head back in the pillow as Dendit began pushing a knuckle and thumb into pressure points over the clavicle and along the spine.

"Best decision Starfleet has ever made.", Oxula grinned, "Though shame my shift starts soon. I think."

Zen Gypsy
2016-09-29, 09:19 PM
Cmdr Khal'el Bhatak, Hot Shot XO (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21227447&postcount=3)

He nodded at Levison, "An excellent observation Commander. If possible, analyze the warp signatures we picked up earlier, and cross reference with known Dominion and Hegemony warp drives, inform me if there is a match."

Pre-industrial civilization would have little to offer either the Founders or the Hegemony, so any interest is either territorial, or based on natural resources. He turned to the Science console and spoke to the Romulan, "Commander, once your polaron analysis is complete, please determine any unusual characteristics of the planet, specially mineral composition, or resources."

RCgothic
2016-10-01, 09:16 AM
It doesn't seem very plausible to Commander Levison that the probably Gorn signiatures might actually be Domininon, but she runs a cross comparison anyway.

Spout Technobabble? Taking Advantage thanks to Forward. [roll0]

Malimar
2016-10-02, 03:33 PM
The warp signatures on the edges of the Sigma Eochai system don't match any known Dominion vessels, but they are very probably Gorn. Unfortunately, the warp signatures are too old, and the Federation database on Gorn ships too limited, to distinguish specific vessels.

However, briefly checking the ship's database, Lt. Cmdr. Levison finds three bits of data on polaron radiation: the first she has already mentioned, that polaron radiation is a side-effect of the weapons of Dominion ships (which, indeed, operate by emitting phased polaron beams); the second is that a sufficient concentration of polaron radiation (somewhat greater than the traces generated by Dominion disruptors) can force a Founder changeling out of solid shape (a tactic that was used on occasion during the Dominion War to root out suspected Dominion spies, though not very often because prolonged exposure to polaron radiation is harmful to all organic life-forms); the third is that it is also a side-effect of Gorn power generators, which run on a different design of antimatter annihilator than those used by Federation ships. Here in the Beta Quadrant, on the far side of the Bajoran Wormhole from Dominion space and right near Gorn space, only one of these three facts is likely to be relevant. One hopes.

Meanwhile, Lt. Cmdr. Oxula gets a massage! The Bolian masseur opines that a massage is exactly the correct thing to warm one up before a long duty shift. Also exactly the correct thing to relax one after a long duty shift. And exactly the correct thing for any time when a duty shift is neither imminent nor recent. Basically the only time that isn't the correct time for a massage is the middle of a duty shift -- but even there he has some ideas.

Rizban
2016-10-02, 05:23 PM

"Commander, in light of this information, might I suggest we scan the planet for Gorn power signatures? Perhaps we could begin scans where the polaron radiation is most strongly concentrated."

EarthenRite
2016-10-02, 06:33 PM
Lieutenant Commander Polvir

Polvir looks up from his science station as the reports begin coming in, running the data through the ship's computer.

"Aye, sir. It will take a moment."

Polaron scans were not his forte, but as the chief scientist they fell within his station's responsibility.

Spout Technobabble
[roll0]

That certainly could have been better! :)

Malimar
2016-10-02, 06:55 PM
(Luckily, 4+1+2=7, not the 5 confusingly displayed by the dice roller. Nothing bad happens, just not quite as much good happens either.)

Lt. Cmdr. Polvir analyzes the polaron radiation signatures, and discovers that there definitely is a spot, high in the upper atmosphere, where they are most concentrated. He trains the ship's sensors on the area, and displays his findings on the main viewscreen.

A blocky, roundish, slightly spiky shape can be seen at the edge of Sigma Eochai II's atmosphere. It is visibly emitting something vaguely like blue sparks, which are quickly absorbed by the atmosphere. Definitely the source of the planet's polaron radiation.

Polvir analyzes the object's size -- it is many times larger than Curiosity -- a space station, perhaps?

He analyzes its trajectory, and discovers it is in a decaying orbit -- it will impact the planet in a matter of months, which could be even worse for the local inhabitants than having it in orbit is.

Zen Gypsy
2016-10-02, 07:06 PM

Bhatak nodded his ridged head, "Aye, co-ordinate with Commander Polvir, and establish pleminary scans, accounting for prevalent meteorological conditions, that may have dispersed the pattern. Perhaps we can establish something of a timeline for the Hegemony's last visit, and their intended destination."

As he spoke, he paced back and forth in front of the vacant captain's chair, watching the main view screen intently. His hands were behind his back, clasped together, but he continued to flex them, into large, dangerous fists, before relaxing them as he considered their options.

"Raise Lieutenant Notaro, see if he and his team can modify our existing EV suits to account for spikes in Polaron radiation." He paused his pacing, and brought a hand to his chin, tugging on his braided goatee. "Have Commander Oxula prepare a Polaron exposure protocol, and innoculation. I wish to review it before we proceed."

Remember you have an advance forward due to my Orders from earlier Polvir, so I think you can roll an additional d6, and chose the best two. That may make it into a success. Though if you want the potential, just leave it as it is. :)

EarthenRite
2016-10-02, 08:25 PM
Polvir tapped a few more commands on his display, his brow furrowing slightly at the results.

"Sir, I am going to try narrowing the band of our sensors on the object emitting those bursts of energy. With any luck, we will get a more detailed topology of the object and perhaps even identify a way to prevent its trajectory."

Alright! Here we go, good dice rolls...

Perform a Scan (narrow band)
[roll0]

And I believe I will spend that hold to identify the properties of the area.

Will GM ForFood
2016-10-02, 08:58 PM
Oxula returned to sickbay with a broad smile. Nothing will ruin this day.

The sickbay was thankfully empty save the nurses busying themselves with arranging hyposprays and running tests on microbes brought back by an ensign on leave. No one in sickbay will forget that rash he had. Poor guy. Oxula returned to her office and picked up a pad. On it was presented information on polaron radiation.

...phased polaron beams used primarily by the Dominion...

Spoke too soon. There was something to ruin the day.

Despite Oxula reading of several other examples of polaron radiation in use, her mind just kept going back to the Night it Rained Starships on Betazed. She snapped out of this fugue and continued to read. There was some comfort at seeing the Gorn mentioned. Standoffish, but not outright murderous.

If this note is on her PADD, she orders the nurse to start replicating preparations of hyronalin and lectrazine. "Attention staff. We may have an influx of patients with radiation burns and poisoning. You are all to be here and carry out standard procedure for a potential sight-t-sight emergency transport to sickbay.

Oxula tapped her communicator, "Dr. Oxula to Captain Charthi." No answer. "Dr. Oxula to Commander Bhatak...

RCgothic
2016-10-03, 02:37 AM
"Sir, no ID on the Hegemony vessels. Polaron radiation is also characteristic of their power cores - I believe what we're seeing may indicate a problem with the station's power core.

Alison performs a few quick sims on her console.

"The station's orbit may be decaying, but the atmosphere is still very rarified at its current altitude. If should easily be able to maintain it's altitude using it's station keeping thrusters. I'd hypothesize given what we're seeing that damage to the station had rendered them inoperable. If we could bring them back online, that should be enough to avert the catastrophe.

Alternatively, it is within our capability to boost it back into a stable orbit using the ship's tractor beam; it doesn't matter how large the station is, we can push much harder than any force of air resistance. However we'd need to manoeuvre very close to the target, and if it's sustained damage it may not hold together subjected to a hard shove. Softer and slower is more likely to work, but it means more time spent in the station's radiation field."

"All this is redundant if the station doesn't survive long enough," she admits, turning towards the engineer's station. "Anja, what are you reading on the station?"

Spout Technobabble Explore: [roll0]

Zen Gypsy
2016-10-03, 06:45 AM

Bhatak considered the information, a pre-industrial society, a station in a decaying orbit, and a containment leak spewing deadly polaron radiation into the planets upper atmosphere. While the crew couldn't risk contact with the developing civilization, it was certainly within it's rights, and capabilities, of preventing a large scale atmospheric catastrophe that would threaten the development of Sigma Eochai II.

However, the question still remained who claimed sovereignty over the orbital monitoring station, and what purpose did it serve.

"Ops, scan the orbital station for life signs, and see if you can pinpoint the location of the containment breach." He tapped his comm badge, "Lieutenant Notaro, estimated time on the EV modifications? I will need you to begin selecting an Engineering detail to effect repairs on the orbital station." He turned to Polvir, "Commander, you will lead the away team once the EV modifications are complete. Commander Levison will accompany with a security detail. Ops will stabalize the decaying orbit with our tractor beams, once we have modified the deflector array to protect the Curiosity from prolonged polaron exposure."

As his comm badge chirped, he answered promptly. "Bhatak here."

Toilet Cobra
2016-10-03, 09:52 AM
Lt. Anja Notaro, Chief of Engineering
Conditions: None

While the Bridge Crew was performing scans and gathering data on the developing situation in the atmosphere of Sigma Eochai Prime, Lt. Notaro was in the shuttle bay, performing a routine inspection of a Runabout's primary systems. She had no way of knowing whether this vessel, or any other, would be needed today, and no reason to believe there was anything wrong with the shuttle's systems (it had been inspected twice since they left drydock, and not flown once). But so far she was painfully bored with so little to do. The Curiosity boasted a large Engineering Corps, and after the post-shakedown kinks had been worked out, the routine tasks were mostly handled by the gifted Ensigns and non-Coms under her command. There simply wasn't enough going wrong on the ship to keep them all occupied.

As such, Lt. Notaro had mostly been reading technical manuals, monitoring the antimatter flow (which remained uniformly flawless), and annoying the crap out of her subordinates as she hovered over their shoulders while they worked. If there was even a chance this mission would require the use of a Runabout, she was more than happy to spend hours running diagnostics on one of the two berthed in the shuttle bay.

When the call came in from Commander Bhatak she nearly cut him off in her hurry to respond. "Polaron radiation? Understood sir. We'll get on it right away." She hustled out of the shuttlecraft, wiped off her hands, and barked for her attache. The luckless young Ensign rushed dutifully to her side.

"James, get me six environmental suits-- scratch that, make it a dozen," she said. "No need to head down to Engineering, we'll modify them right here. Get Ensigns Gutierrez, Miyamoto, and K'harek, and tell them to bring their full kits. You have five minutes, now get it done."

While the young man rushed off to attend his tasks, Anja tried to recall everything she could about the properties of polaron radiation, and more importantly, how to mitigate its deadly effects.

Since we already know most of the properties of polaron radiation, Anja will specifically try to focus on ways to combat it- special coating on the suits? portable dampening field? Anything she can think of.

Spout Technobabble [roll0]

Will GM ForFood
2016-10-03, 12:22 PM

"Commander, where is the captain? Never mind. I have prepared a preliminary report on the effects of polaron radiation on humanoids. You can't innoculate for the radiation, but you can treat and mitigate. Polaron can damage tissues quickly. I've prepared several hyronalin hyposprays to reduce the effects, but if you plan on sending an away team, I'd be more comfortable if we kept a transporter lock on them. The moment anyone starts feeling sweaty, I'd want them in sickbay as soon as possible."

Oxula paused briefly, "Oh, and please don't forget that you're a Klingon, and everyone else isn't. You have an organ or two to spare, the rest don't have that evolutionary advantage." There's a soft chuckle before the communicator cuts out on her end.

Rizban
2016-10-03, 01:01 PM

"Aye."

Ebrin bends to the task of scanning the station, trying to coax the sensors into penetrating the radiation.

[roll0]

Malimar
2016-10-04, 11:09 PM
Lt. Cmdr. Polvir scans the object! He determines its properties: definitely a space station, definitely Gorn. A handful of faint life signs aboard. It appears to have thrusters to provide it with the ability to move (or at least maintain its orbit), but those engines do not currently appear to be functioning. The station's main power generator is definitely malfunctioning, with power spikes fluctuating wildly, throwing off massive amounts of polaron radiation with every spike. It's a wonder the station hasn't already exploded. Solid Gorn engineering, apparently. He also detects multiple hull breaches on the station, but what appears to be the station's operations center appears to be more or less intact.

In short, everything Lt. Cmdr. Levison says about it is absolutely correct.

What isn't entirely clear at this point is whether the station took some sort of external damage that caused the power core to go on the fritz, or if the power core going on the fritz just caused all the station's other problems. Probably the former, judging from the hull breaches, but those could also have been caused by something along the lines of volatile cargo exploding when exposed to the polaron radiation spikes.

Lt. Notaro, meanwhile, doesn't even need to consult the database. She remembers Chief O'Brien explaining the properties of polaron radiation as he once rigged up small polaron generators to detect a Changeling. Repolarize the environmental suit properly, rig up a portable dampening field generator, a couple other minor tweaks, and an away team would be safe on that station for up to an hour. Any longer than that is harder and more dangerous but potentially doable. More than three hours is not so doable.

Lt. Ebrin attempts a more detailed scan of the station, but a poorly-timed radiation burst overwhelms the sensors and overloads them. The main viewscreen fritzes and reverts to displaying a visual of what can physically be seen from the bridge -- the planet, mostly. Curiosity's long-range sensors are down and she's blind in space. Oops.

Lt. Ebrin marks experience.

Zen Gypsy
2016-10-05, 04:37 AM

He furrowed his brows as the bridge view screen became distorted and then reverted to a static display of Sigma Eochai II. He opened a channel to Lieutenant Notaro by tapping the console located in his command chair, "Lieutenant, proceed with the modifications to the EV suits, but I need a secondary engineering team to effect repairs on our long-range sensors. Immediately. Have your away team assemble in the Shuttle Bay One, with sensors down I'll not risk beaming the away team on to a station with a decaying orbit and heavy Polaron contamination. Thank you."

"Lieutenant Ebrin," he nodded towards the Romulan Science officer, "Commander Polvin, please accompany me to the shuttle bay." He turned back to the tactical station, "Commander Levison you have the bridge, please select two Security officers to accompany the away team and have them assemble in the shuttle bay. I wish to address the away team prior to their departure."

He stepped into the turbo-lift, after waiting for Ebrin and Polvin to join him. As the doors hissed shut he tapped his comm badge, "Commander Oxula, please have two of your medical staff attend the away team in Shuttle Bay One. Preferably xenobiology specialists, familiarity with Gorn physiology would be most helpful."

I think that gives us a 12 man Away team, Science (Polvin), Ops (Levison), 2 Security, 2 Medical, and an Engineering detail led by Notaro, with a 5 man repair crew. Leaving Chief Medical, Tactical, and XO on the Curiosity. We'll need Notaro to make an Issue Orders (+Rank) check to effect repairs to our sensors, but of course, the Away team will be shuttling over by the time they are complete. After all, have to give Levison an opportunity to show off those fancy academy piloting moves!

I'm just awaiting a response from a PM to Malimar before I make a speech to the assembled team in the shuttle bay.

Toilet Cobra
2016-10-05, 09:04 AM

With her team assembled in the shuttle bay and a dozen environmental suits collected, Anja and her engineers quickly set to work. They discuss, and quickly discard, several ideas before Ensign Gutierrez suggested a modified engineering tricorder. Worn on the hip, the devices would be programmed to run an extremely mild current through the surface of the suit; not enough to cause discomfort, but sufficient to ionize the suit's material and profide some additional protection against polarons. The tricorders would also be modified to generate a small dampening field around each individual, albeit not a particularly powerful one. Each field would only neutralize ten to twelve percent of incoming polarons, but in conjunction with the suit's other protections it would be enough to give the away team at least an hour before the radiation posed a serious health hazard.

Of course, the tricorders would make it all but impossible to beam anyone on the away team back to the ship. But with the growing cloud of radiation surrounding the space station, it was unlikely that the Curiosity would be able to get a transporter lock anyhow.

In recognition of his clever and efficient idea, Anja let Gutierrez take the lead as her team began to strip the cases off a dozen tricorders. Then she ordered them to get another twelve suits ready as soon as the first batch were finished. "Just in case a rescue is needed," she cautioned them. "If we have to send a second team I don't want them waiting on the launchpad."

She tapped her comm badge. "Notaro to... let's see... Ensign Webb," she said. "Ensign, our long-range scanners have been overloaded by a polaron spike. Put together a detail to reinitialize the scanning computer core and de-polarize the ODN relays. I want you to handle the computer core yourself; assign two Non-Coms of your choice to start on the relays. The Commander wants this job done ASAP and I don't blame him-- we're sitting blind out here. So hop to it, crewman, and inform the bridge as soon as you're finished."

Using her comm, Lt. Notaro quickly assembles an engineering detail for the away-team. She herself will be leading the engineers, and eagerly slips into the first suit available, checking that the modified tricorder is functioning normally. Satisfied, she awaits the rest of the team near the Runabout she just finished triple-checking.

I'm gonna assume Zen Gypsy is correct with Issue Orders being the play, though I wonder if Repair Orders may or may not apply? I guess Repair Orders may only refer to actions I take myself.

Regardless, I have full faith in my engineers! They've never let me down so far.

To bring our scanners back up: Issue Orders [roll0]

Malimar
2016-10-05, 01:50 PM
I believe Issue Orders is the correct thing in this situation and Repair Orders is indeed for repairs the chief engineer does herself. In effect, Issue Orders is duplicating Repair Orders, so the best Ensign Webb can do is the 7-9 result. Webb would have chosen to take extra time, because he'd rather do it right than fast, but in this case he's been directly ordered to do it as quickly as possible, so instead he chooses to jury-rig a short-term solution.

Ensign Webb puts together an engineering detail and gets to work on the sensors! Soon they're back up and running, but it's only a short-term jury-rigged fix. Any more stress on the system will probably take them out again. He'll keep working, but it'll take days (or the assistance of a more expert engineer) before they're operating at peak capacity again.

RCgothic
2016-10-05, 05:23 PM
"Aye sir, I have the bridge," Commander Levison confirms, stepping smartly from behind her console to take the Captain's Chair as the relief crews move smoothly into the vacated positions. She quickly calls up the shift's duty roster onto the captain's terminal and makes a selection from the available security personnel. This selection is easy, despite the short time she's had to familiarise herself with her new command - her deputy security chief Lt James Garner, and Petty Officer Etana Loj (Ktarian female), both of whom she knows have extensive experience of station combat from reading their files.

The shuttle selection takes slightly more thought: the Type IXs are out, being far too small for a largish away team and possible casualty extraction. Griffon and Pegasus, Curiosity's Argos, whilst large, are dedicated transporters and could perhaps do with greater capability. The runabouts Dragon and Pheonix (though she notes Dragon's status indicator has it tagged as down for diagnostics) are much more versatile vessels, but despite the Gorn's architecture being noted for its industrial ruggedness, their size may make it impossible to find a suitable shuttlebay if the transporters can't be made to work. That leaves the Type XIs, which whilst still a little on the small side for a large away team can at least make up for that deficiency with numbers. Decision made!

Alison calls up the Type XI readiness reports, and then tags two, Harrier and Kestrel as the birds for this mission, passing the request to Flight Operations to make the shuttles ready. The away team can split between them with room for evacuees. She assigns Lt Haley Williams as squadron commander, leaving the three remaining crew members to her discretion. Alison expects Lt. Ebrin will relieve one of her choices in any case, but having a full shuttle crew whilst the away team is onboard station can't possibly be a bad thing.

Then she tags Osprey and Hawk to be made readied as a back up in case everything heads south.

Curiosity's large ships (Argo and runabouts) are named after mythical beasts.
The Type XIs are named for predatory birds.
The Type IXs are named for non-predatory birds.

Rizban
2016-10-05, 06:04 PM

Upon seeing which shuttles are assigned to the mission, a thought occurs.

"If I may, I'd like to offer a thought. Perhaps the two runabouts could be deployed as well, using their tractors to stabilize the decaying orbit of the station. This could give us more time to find a solution, put additional support craft in easy range, and the multiple tractor points could reduce stress on the frame by more evenly distributing the forces."

Will GM ForFood
2016-10-05, 08:23 PM
Oxula responded to the command orders with "Yes, sir." She decided give breaking the communication a Risian touch: "What's ours is yours.".

A sharp whistle screeched throughout medbay. When all eyes were on the source - Doctor Oxula - there were PADDS set up with information of field treating, and treatment for Polaron radiation poisoning. "One sec... Ensigns Gutierrez, it is my understanding that you once gave a full presentation on the Saurian cardiovascular system? There may be some insights between the two species. We have protocols when handling xenophysiology on the pad, consult them ASAP for everything. MacKenzie, you were one that dealt, albeit briefly, in the evolutionary theory of the Xindi. Did you work on any Xindi-Reptilians, or take home any information where we can closely approximate Gorn Physiology? Well Carlos and Bethanne, you are hereby to report to the docking bay. Your orders will be explained in full. Be sure to take medkits and the tons of hyronalyn hyposprays we just replicated."

Oxula drummed her fingers on the edge and started typing up the two that will join the away team. She quickly turned to Gutierrez, "Oh, and Carlos... Just because your partner will be in the field does not mean we expect no less of professional behavior. Don't let it cloud your judgment. But who am I kidding?"

[roll0]

Malimar
2016-10-05, 08:42 PM
The two medical crewmembers dispatched by Dr. Oxula will perform to the best of their ability! But they're a little green in terms of field experience, and she has a sneaking fear that they might wind up panicking or choking under fire. Hopefully this will be a more routine away mission than expected.

RCgothic
2016-10-06, 02:18 AM

Upon seeing which shuttles are assigned to the mission, a thought occurs.

"If I may, I'd like to offer a thought. Perhaps the two runabouts could be deployed as well, using their tractors to stabilize the decaying orbit of the station. This could give us more time to find a solution, put additional support craft in easy range, and the multiple tractor points could reduce stress on the frame by more evenly distributing the forces."

"Alternatively it might put two more crews inside the blast radius if the station's core lets go," Alison points out.

"If we can get that under control then we'll have plenty of time to worry about the station's orbit later. And Dragon appears to be in the maintenance bay right now; I don't know how long it would take engineering to put her back together, but they have other things on their plates right now.

"You may be right that multiple small pushes could be a better solution and put fewer crew at risk than bringing Curiosity in close if the station is delicate, though I suspect the level of coordination required to not shear the station into bits may turn out to be non-trivial. Though perhaps it would be easier to handle in pieces," she muses, half-imagining the phaser settings that would be required to carefully carve the station up as the away team assembles.

"We need a better look," she decides.

"Helm, bring us into orbit a safe distance behind the station. Ops, open a channel, tight beam on that station. We don't want it to look like we're sneaking up."

Issue Orders? Rank [roll0]

Alison stands to address the viewer, tugging on her jacket to straighten it.

"This is Lieutenant Commander Alison Levison of the Federation starship Curiosity! We have detected your radiation leak and are here to assist. What is your status?"

Open a channel Peace [roll1]
All of Curiosity's shuttles come equipped with tractor beams of various strengths commensurate with the craft's size.

Malimar
2016-10-06, 09:57 PM
Lt. Cmdr. Levison marks 2 experience.

A Bolian ensign takes over the conn when Lt. Ebrin departs, and follows Cmdr. Levison's orders to the best of his ability. He brings Curiosity out from behind Sigma Eochai II's moon's sensor shadow and relatively close to the station.

Ops attempts to opens a channel... "No response. No, wait, they're charging weapons."

A few feeble particle beams lance out from the station towards Curiosity, but the shields absorb them with little trouble. Suddenly, an explosion wracks the source of the particle beams on the station's exterior, and shuttlecraft-sized shards of metal go flying off it into the upper atmosphere. Tactical reports: "...Their weapons systems are down."

The station fires maneuvering thrusters, probably trying to rotate to bring another bank of weapons to bear, but the ensign at Conn manages to keep Curiosity on the weaponless side of the station.

But between the explosion and the thrusters firing, the station is now spinning wildly, and its orbit has been even more destabilized. Science station quickly runs a simulation, then announces, "They only have a few days before impacting the surface now." Additionally, now it'll be harder for Lt. Ebrin to match the station's erratic velocity in the runabout.

It is then that Ops announces, "I'm detecting two Gorn ships at the edge of the system." The newcomers probably haven't spotted Curiosity yet, but it's not likely to be very long before they do.

RCgothic
2016-10-07, 01:51 AM
"Red alert!" Levison declares as the ship shivers slightly, bringing the weapons online and the fighter squadron to alert status.

"Bridge to Bhatak! Station is hostile! Repeat, station has fired upon us. They are NOT responding to our hails. I'm assigning additional security to the away team. Also, we are detecting two Gorn vessels incoming."

Alison tags the rest of Garner's squad for deployment, bringing the total security complement to 8. Then, cool as ice, she transfers weapons control to her console.

"Duty Officer's log: The stricken station is opposing our efforts to assist them. The threat to the civilization below means we can't just leave them be, and we can't let them fire on our shuttle deployment. Therefore I am returning fire at this time."

Alison locks phasers, and for the first time Curiosity fires in anger.

Open Fire War [roll0]

Disable All Weapons

"Maybe with their weapons disabled they'll stop attempting to manoeuvre," Alison grumbles about the station making their own situation worse. She doubts the away team would thank her for damaging one of the systems they might shortly require.

Zen Gypsy
2016-10-07, 04:14 AM

As the turbo-lift arrived at it's destination, the doors hissed open accompanied by the Bosun's whistle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZGQzXCbrGo) as Bhatak, the commanding officer, took the deck.

He squared his shoulders, clasping his hands behind the small of his back, his face set in a familiar scowl. The away team he had selected assembled in an orderly line by their respective shuttles as he strode across the hangar floor. He turned his head to the right as he walked down the line in silence, the scowl on his face deepened, as he committed each members name and face to memory.

He reached the end of the line, and gave a nod of recognition to Lieutenant Notaro, at that point Commander Polvir and Lieutenant Ebrin fell into line. Bhatak turned a crisp 180, and walked to the middle of the assembled officers and crewmen. Stopped, and turned to face them, he then snapped to attention.

"At ease."

He began to speak in a crisp, military manner, "You are about to embark on the Curiosity's first away mission, and it is one that carries a significant risk." He paused, scanning up and down the line, making eye contact with each and every member of the mission, "Yet it is vitally important that we commit to our duties, and ensure that we operate with absolute efficiency and dedication. Not only to our commanding officers, but to the Curiosity and the Federation as a whole."

"We are in disputed territory that borders the Gorn Hegemony, and yet there is a developing situation where we can render assistance, and ensure the continued development of the people's of Sigma Eochai II. A station, of Gorn design, has suffered a containment breach, flooding the station and the upper atmosphere of this planet with Polaron radiation. It falls to the us, the Curiosity, to ensure that the station maintains it orbit, and the radiation levels are contained and minimized."

"This operation is not without risk, yet we find ourselves in the unique position to offer aid, and it is our duty to do so. Your commanding officers have selected each of you because of your individual strengths, talents and training. They have the utmost faith, and confidence in your ability to perform your duty under these conditions, and I have the utmost faith and confidence in my officers," he paused, again establish eye contact with each and every crewmen and officer, "and my crew."

"jaH sub'khat!" He snapped a salute, and growled the Klingon phrase.

He then translated for the assembled team, "It means 'Go Boldly.' I look forward to welcoming each and everyone of you back aboard the Curiosity on your return. You have your assignments."

He raised an eyebrow as he noted a complement of security moving towards the assembled officers, then his comm badge chirped.

"Dismissed."

He walked back to the turbo-lift, and as the doors hissed closed, "Bridge. Now."

As Bhatak returned to the bridge, he took in what he could from the main viewscreen, and Commander Levison's quick report over the comm. "Commander," he nodded in respect, as he strode over to helmsmen, determining their location relative to the incoming Gorn vessels. He watched as the phasers lanced across the black void of space, and impacted the stations disrupter banks. "Sound tactical response, now move us to the opposite side of the moon, placing it between us and the incoming vessels. Continue to open channels, but we want to make sure the Curiosity is between their approach vectors and our shuttles. I am hoping that the station's response was merely automated defenses."

Bhatak grinned a feral smile, he was battle ready, and prepared for this confrontation. He contacted Lieutenant Notaro, "Lieutenant, remember the project I assigned you on our run down? I believe now would be an excellent opportunity to field test the device on our shuttle deployment." Notaro had seemed confident that she could simulate the Klingon cloaking device, at least for a short time before the device power coupling failed, but he surmised that it would cloak the shuttles as they approached the station, eliminating the risk of the stations defenses targeting the smaller shuttles, especially now that the Curiosity had it's attention.

I will use my Red Alert talent, as the Curiosity finds itself in a dangerous situation. Rolling Duty, +2, [roll0]. Nice! I get to hold 2, and sine we've already opened fire, I will select 'You were well-prepared for this mission and have access to a useful piece of equipment or upgrade', and 'You take evasive maneuvers. The first harm to your team or the ship is 1 less.' Yup! the access to a useful piece of equipment, is a modified, one shot version of a cloaking device for our shuttles. Good job Notaro! :)

RCgothic
2016-10-07, 04:45 AM
Lt. Commander Levison stands smartly to make way for her commander, before returning to the tactical station.

"Sir, it's not likely that they haven't seen us yet. That phaser blast will have lit up their screens like a firework display. We should interpose ourselves directly across their path. Permission to launch a tactical probe, sir? I'd like to get a better look at our new visitors."

Malimar
2016-10-07, 11:03 AM
Cmdr. Levison orders Curiosity brought to bear on the rest of the station's weapons systems -- which, of course, allows the station to fire on Curiosity again. Again, the shields absorb the incoming fire, and Curiosity opens fire; under Cmdr. Levison's skillful hand, the rest of the station's weapons are disabled without inflicting too much damage on the station itself.

Meanwhile, Cmdr. Bhatak authorizes Lt. Notaro to use her device, which should be effective to hide the incoming runabout from the station's sensors.

Conn, as ordered, moves Curiosity out to a point between the Gorn ships and the runabout's trajectory to the station. With the station's weapons down, nobody's targeting the away team without getting through Curiosity first.

Ops reports, "One of the Gorn vessels is hailing us."

Toilet Cobra
2016-10-07, 12:10 PM

Lt. Notaro smirks at the commander's orders and prepares to activate the device she'd prepared. She was pleased to test out her handiwork, but calling it a 'cloaking device' was giving it far too much credit. In truth it was just a simple modification that caused a shuttle's shields to to become highly energetic, hurling the shuttle's energy emissions and the ionic wake of the engines in every direction. Assuming it worked, it would spread the normal sensor footprint of a small vessel over a much wider area, making it diffuse and difficult to scan, appearing to be a simple sensor malfunction.

It was a theoretical design, discussed between herself and Commander Bhatak as a charming but impractical possibility; given Anja's ample free time, however, she'd gone ahead and designed a prototype for almost every shuttle in the bay.

The device would only work for a short time before burning out, and would render a shuttle's shields all but useless as a defense while it was in operation. It would also likely raise hell with the comms, forcing them into radio silence. They'd disappear from short-range scanners for a few minutes, but would still be completely visible to the naked eye. But really, who tries to aim a ship-sized phaser array without computer assistance nowadays? Unless you had a command override, the Curiosity wouldn't even let you fire without a targeting resolution.

"Notaro to all shuttles," the lieutenant transmitted. "Divert power from auxiliary systems to the shields. When they've reached at least 110% capacity, activate program 'Notaro_3.' Then prepare for approximately three minutes of comm silence as we approach the station."

Once the device was activated, she fell into quiet contemplation. She silently wished them all luck, particularly Ebrin, who had the difficult task of getting them docked on the freewheeling space station.

RCgothic
2016-10-07, 04:17 PM
"I suggest you lead with 'what the **** is going on here', sir. Pardon my Pakled." Alison mutters, just loud enough for Khal'el to hear.

Zen Gypsy
2016-10-08, 06:04 AM

Bhatak nodded at the young Bolian, "On screen, Ensign."

"This is Commander Bhatak, of the U.S.S. Curiosity. Gorn vessels, please identify. The Curiosity has begun operations to restore structural integrity, and orbital stability to the station located above Sigma Eochai II. Any disruption to these operations would put both my crew, and the crew aboard said station at risk."

So, this critical roll sounds like an Open a Channel move, which is rolled with Peace, Bhatak's lowest stat! Sorry guys! Rolling Peace, of -1, [roll0]. Levison, lets get on those Phasers, this ain't gonna be pretty! At least I get to mark Experience. Eeeeek!

Rizban
2016-10-09, 01:40 AM

Going through all the final flight checks on each shuttle personally as the away teams gather, Lieutenant Ebrin checks in with the bridge as the shuttles are boarded.

"Ebrin to the bridge. All shuttles are prepped and ready for launch. Standing by for launch command."

RCgothic
2016-10-09, 02:26 AM
"Away team, you are go for launch," Levison confirms from her terminal, giving them a departure vector from the aft shuttlebays where hopefully the bulk of Curiosity should keep the shuttles protected.

Simultaneously, whilst Bhatak confronts the Gorn she has the fighter squadron formed up in the forward bays ready for immediate launch. Alison chides herself briefly over assigning their squadron CO Lt Williams to the away team but there's nothing that can be done about that now. She double checks that Curiosity's phaser banks are still fully charged after the exchange with the station and that a full complement of quantum torpedoes are queued into the dorsal autoloaders. Then she assigns priorities to the targeting computer so that it can lock weapons at a minimum delay.

EarthenRite
2016-10-10, 11:31 AM
Polvir straightened his uniform as he stood from the science station, moving quickly to the turbolift and racing down to the science department lab. He took a portable away case from one of the cabinets and began loading it with equipment. A handful of probes, an extra tricorder, his journal - a rather odd item that he had replicated but he found something quaint in recording his thoughts with his own band rather than a computer PADD. Taking his own tricorder from his work station, he paused for a moment as he reached for his phaser. He abhorred violence, noting it often as the downfall of his people. That, and the relentless cloak and dagger games they played. He picked up the phaser and placed it in his case. He could carry the phaser but the rules were less specific as to where he carried it.

Once more he proceeded to the turbolift and ordered the computer to bring him to the shuttle bay to lead the away team.

"Sir, this is Polvir. I am ready on your mark."

Will GM ForFood
2016-10-13, 09:16 AM

Oxula looked around sickbay. It already seemed to be... emptier, emotionally. The Risian stood in front of the replicator by the entrance to sickbay. She stared at it for almost a minute before pressing the voice command button, "Tea, earl gray, hot." The familiar hum emanated from the machine and the beverage was produced. She took the saucer and cup daintily in her hand and sipped. Her eyes soon snapped wide open and the tea spilled out of the corners of her mouth, "That's absolutely vile." The cup immediately went back into the replicator, and Oxula found she couldn't hit the recycling button fast enough. "Seltzer, two degrees Celsius."

Oxula walked to her office and sat down on her desk. She swiveled the thin monitor in her direction, "Computer, bring up Lieutenant Carlos Gutierrez's paper on Saurian cardiovascular system." She might as well get some reading in while there's a lull. Also now was a good time to fish out the hidden spiral bottle of black kanar. Naturally Oxula would not want Notaro to see it. At least black kanar wasn't brewed using Bajoran slave labor, Oxula rationalized. The stuff had become a very guilty pleasure after a day on DS9. A very, very, very, very, very, very guilty pleasure. But she had to mix the horribly thick alcoholic syrup with the seltzer to make it easier to drink.

Oxula read through the abstract and skimmed through the diagrams before laying back in her seat, "Computer, load all medical abstracts pertaining to the physiologies of Saurians, Xindi-Reptilians, and Kasheeta. Oh, and any physiological information on the Selay. Run an analysis and list any similar nucleotide chains in the DNA, as well as comparative anatomy between the species." Medical records on the Gorn may not be complete, but perhaps she could find a starting point should it be necessary.

Red alert.

"All available medical staff report to sickbay."

It's a long shot, but hey. All those wonderful immunities that the reptilian species of the galaxies have... Feel free to ignore this roll altogether if appropriate.
Spout Technobabble. +1 Explore [roll0]

Malimar
2016-10-13, 07:16 PM
Lt. Cmdr. Oxula pulls up all the research and data on various reptilian-humanoid species, has the computer run some cross-references and data analysis, and... now anything that it would be helpful to know about reptilian alien (e.g. Gorn) physiology, she knows. I don't have anything interesting right now, but in the future, if there's a salient feature of Gorn physiology that needs knowing, she knows it.

The runabout(s? shuttles? I'm not 100% clear on the vessel(s) involved), under sort-of cloak, departs from Curiosity and approaches the station. (A piloting roll, either Pilot Training or Go Boldly, will be required to dock with the erratically-spinning station.)

Meanwhile, Cmdr Bhatak marks experience.

The viewcreen displays a belligerent, vaguely sneering reptilian face. The Gorn introduces himself (herself? impossible to tell), "Lors, captain of the Chang-Wah. You have violated Gorn space. We do not require assistance with the worker uprising aboard the processing station, so you may go. If you remain in the system, you will be fired upon."

Communications cut out, and the viewscreen winks back to a display of the Gorn ships. Ops reports they're charging weapons and shields. One of the Gorn ships veers around Curiosity, attempting to head towards the station (luckily, it does not seem to have detected the away team). The other remains facing Curiosity, ready to fight.

Zen Gypsy
2016-10-13, 08:24 PM

A low growl rumbled from Bhatak's throat, communication had been cancelled and his crew were on their way to perform rescue operations on a processing facility that could be involved in a Gorn Hegemony internal conflict. He hit a button on the command console, "Engineering, divert power from communications to our sensors to compensate for the Polaron radiation damage. Commander Bhatak out."

He waited for the corresponding dip in power, and hailed the Gorn ships. "Gorn vessel, Chang-Wah. Please respond. Emergency crew ... <interference> ... en route ... <interference> ... core breach ... <static> ... decaying orbit. Joint operations ... <static> ... would allow ... <interference> ... joint rescue operations ... <static> ... ongoing Hegemony and Federation relations." Shunting the auxiliary power from communications to their sensors, with the background polaron radiation had the desired effect on his final attempt to open a channel.

"Levison, impulse on intercept vector with second Gorn vessel, at 5 km cut impulse, maneuvering thrusters only. Glide towards the vessels aft arc, while powering forward phaser banks."

Oh yeah, I did that. Sorry mom *crinkles paper* can't hear you, must be *crinkle, crinkle* bad connection. Yup, totally juvenile, but seriously, screw these guys. I am provoking them to opening fire first, BUT, I will be making a Go Boldly check to position ourselves so that their fire has NO chance of hitting our shuttles in the event they miss the Curiosity.

Rolling Duty, +2, [roll0]. Lets hope this works out for us!

RCgothic
2016-10-14, 04:00 AM
Levison's fingers fly over her console and a spray of phaser beams and a photon torpedo from the starboard launchers lance fractionally past the flanking vessel's bow, even as Curiosity faces down her own target. The fighter squadron launches to take up flanking positions.

Open Fire: War [roll0]
Marking experience...

"Oh. I'm sorry sir, do you still want me to do the sneaking up thing? I don't believe they'd have bought it."

Rizban
2016-10-16, 08:59 PM
The runabout(s? shuttles? I'm not 100% clear on the vessel(s) involved), under sort-of cloak, departs from Curiosity and approaches the station. (A piloting roll, either Pilot Training or Go Boldly, will be required to dock with the erratically-spinning station.)

After a few quick passes around the station and multiple sensor sweeps, Lt. Ebrin thinks that an approach vector can be appropriately calculated. After setting the controls, "I'm making final approach to dock with the station. All other vessels, follow this flight plan on my mark. Only make the docking attempt if you're certain it will succeed. Peel off if it's uncertain."

With gritted teeth, a wild look in the eye, and a barely suppressed grin, Ebrin dives towards the station's docking ports, trying to match the motion of the shuttle precisely with the angular motion of the station.

[roll0]

Malimar
2016-10-24, 11:44 AM
The Gorn do not reopen communications, but they probably got the bad connection message anyway.

Cmdr Bhatak tries to position Curiosity in such a way that the Gorn ships can't get at the shuttles, but without being directly between the Gorn ships and the shuttles, in case of stray fire.

Lt. Cmdr. Levison marks experience, fires a photon torpedo, and deploys Federation Fighters! The Gorn ship evades the torpedo, and returns fire; the forward torpedo launchers go offline! The other Gorn ship veers around: Curiosity is suddenly a higher priority than the station. The Gorn concentrate on Curiosity for now, ignoring the fighters. Curiosity's shields take a pounding from both Gorn vessels, and Levison reports they're now at about 53%, but intact.

Meanwhile, Lt. Ebrin pilots the shuttles to the station! He positions himself exactly where he wants to in a tight spot, and successfully docks with the station!

The other shuttles follow Ebrin's lead, and the station's docking systems engage automatically, allowing the away team into the station!

The station's interior is littered with debris, the walls are scorched, half the lights are out and the other half are flickering, and the station's life support is straining to maintain breathable atmosphere in the face of multiple hull breaches (automatic force fields are up, of course, but they didn't go up until after much air had escaped) (not that it matters to the away team in their environmental suits). But Lt. Notaro's solutions protect the away team from the ambient polaron radiation (for now), and the way ahead appears clear.

Zen Gypsy
2016-10-25, 05:01 AM

"Photon Torpedos! Narrow focus, low-yield." Bhatak knew that the impact of the photon detonation would make maneuvering difficult, and allow the Curiosity to slip, along it's y-axis, putting the closest Gorn vessel in the line of fire from it's wing man. Meaning that the Curiosity's shield would only suffer a single barrage from the vessel's plasma weaponry.

"Helm, maximum impulse, maneuver us along the wake of the torpedo's blast area, keep the lead vessel between us and his wingman. Now!"

"Levison concentrate Phaser fire on their plasma emitters, disable their beam arrays. On my mark."

He waited until the Curiosity was in position.

"Now!"

Using Rank of +2, to Issue Orders to the Helm officer, and to Levison for an Open Fire check. [roll0].

RCgothic
2016-10-27, 03:18 AM
"Shields are holding," Alison reports, before cursing under her breath at the glitchy forward torpedo computer failing to pass her targeting information to the launchers. Curiosity is a new ship, and not all the kinks have been worked out yet!

She swiftly reprioritises Curiosity's main phaser array, and a single sustained beam lances forth at the closer of the two Gorn vessels, striking their weapons capacitor with unerring accuracy!

Open Fire War+2 advantage [roll0] =9

Phasers harm 3 (curiosity is in a "small gang" > "a ship or two", therefore inflicts and takes harm +/- 1)
Disable Weapons

Malimar
2016-10-31, 11:16 AM
Cmdr. Bhatak issues the order to return fire, but the torpedoes are down, so Lt. Cmdr. Levison returns fire with the phasers! The Gorn ship suffers a hull breach near the weapons capacitor, and its weapons systems go down! It peels off, retreating out of system, as the other Gorn ship opens fire on Curiosity -- but the shields continue to hold.

RCgothic
2016-11-01, 03:25 PM
Smoothly switching target, Levison hammers the remaining Gorn vessel with a volley of phaser beams whilst the fighter squadron provides cover.

Open Fire! Roll War [roll0]
Armed and Ready, so hold 3

Disable weapons
Disable main power
Disable Impulse engines

Phasers Inflict 2 Harm +1 Harm for being in a small fleet.

"Commander. The fleeing vessel is not yet beyond our weapons range. Shall we pursue?" she asks.

Rizban
2016-11-01, 11:29 PM

Short of receiving orders indicating otherwise, Lt. Ebrin elects to stay with the shuttles, keeping the engines hot in case an emergency evac from the station for the away team becomes necessary.

Zen Gypsy
2016-11-02, 05:40 AM

Bhatak reviewed the tactical readout from his command console. "Admirably done Commander. While I will not sacrifice the safety of our away team, nor the at risk personnel aboard the station if you can disable the feeling warp drives before it leaves the system it will put us into an advantageous position in future negotiations."

Issuing Orders to stop the Disabled Ship from Leaving System without moving from our position between the shuttles and the away team. Rolling Rank, +2, [roll0]. Hopefully that's enough to give Levison advantage on the next phaser barrage.