PDA

View Full Version : Best class(es) to play to level 5

Willie the Duck
2016-09-27, 10:06 PM
If your DM said, "we're going to run a brief intro campaign for those new to the edition. We'll retire characters after level 5 and everyone gets to re-choose then." what would you play for those 5 levels, and how would you build them?

Sigreid
2016-09-27, 10:23 PM
I would probably choose a cleric or a paladin since neither of those is something I'd be inclined to play for a long haul, but they might be fun for a few sessions. I'm pretty solidly CN and bristle at the idea of my character accepting that their is a higher power than themselves. :smallbiggrin:

Wondermndjr
2016-09-27, 10:25 PM
Fighter or rogue. Getting to rechoose at level 5 means you can switch over to a caster at that point. Martials are stronger at lower levels, then get overshadowed by casters later on.

VHuman Battlemaster
16 Str
13 Dex
16 Con
8 Int
12 Wis
10 Cha
Feat: Heavy Armor Master
Fighting Style: Great Weapon Fighting

This build makes you practically unkillable for the first few levels. DR 3 is very strong at low levels, but becomes less useful later. You have good damage output as well. You can also go sword and board, and use Shield Master.

VHuman Assassin
8 Str
15+1 Dex
13+1 Con
12 Int
12 Wis
13 Cha
Feat: Crossbow Expert

Spam those crossbows. Average 48 damage at level 3, and 64 at level 5, if you hit with surprise. This beats anything a fighter can offer in damage while still being consistent. Rogues are still great later on, so you can keep this if you want.

JAL_1138
2016-09-27, 10:30 PM
I would probably choose a cleric or a paladin since neither of those is something I'd be inclined to play for a long haul, but they might be fun for a few sessions. I'm pretty solidly CN and bristle at the idea of my character accepting that their is a higher power than themselves. :smallbiggrin:

Paladins don't strictly have to acknowledge any higher power anymore, so long as they're willing to adhere to an oath. Nothing about the oaths actually requires devotion to a deity, just to certain principles.

Specter
2016-09-27, 10:30 PM
I'd personally go for Trickery Cleric because I've been meaning to play them, but most campaigns feel too serious for them. And it seems they play the same way from levels 2-5.

8wGremlin
2016-09-27, 10:33 PM
vhuman: fighter - pick crossbow master feat have good dex and take archery and wear medium armour, and a hand crossbow. fire 2 shots around,
at level 3 take BM (Controversial; if allowed UA fighter:scout take that and pick the new ranger's natural explorer)
at level 4 take sharpshooter and do even more damage.
at 5 get Extra attack

or

vHuman: arcane cleric (SCAG) Wis > dex=14 wear medium armour - pick chill touch and booming blade as your arcane cleric spells.
feat, magic initiate (druid) pick shillelagh and x as well as Absorb elements or Long strider
key everything of Wis.

Sigreid
2016-09-27, 10:34 PM
Paladins don't strictly have to acknowledge any higher power anymore, so long as they're willing to adhere to an oath. Nothing about the oaths actually requires devotion to a deity, just to certain principles.

I'm aware, but even if they don't give it a god's name a paladin by definition has devoted himself to something greater than himself, in my opinion. Possibly a bit ironically, I've had characters of no real religious conviction decide to advance a god (or more often goddess') place and prestige in the world for no better reason than it amused them to do so.

bid
2016-09-27, 10:38 PM
If your DM said, "we're going to run a brief intro campaign for those new to the edition. We'll retire characters after level 5 and everyone gets to re-choose then." what would you play for those 5 levels, and how would you build them?
Something that fun before extra attack and fireball.

Moon druid shines at level2 and wanes later.
Vuman barbarian berserker for the other side.

Chainlock covers spying and has more slots than a caster early on.
Some weird wizard school, just to try.

I'd definitely go chain or bear.

Tauguy628
2016-09-27, 10:44 PM
Moon druid. Turn into a dire wolf or bear and kill everyone/tank everything. You also get spells. I would chose shillelagh, healing word, heat metal, hold person, call lightning, and conjure animals an whatever other spells you like. Use a club+shield+shillelagh (or produce flame if you prefer ranged) when not in animal form. I would be a wood elf, hill dwarf, or v. human. If v. human, take warcater for concentration. Max wisdom and have a decent con.

MrStabby
2016-09-28, 02:30 AM
Ranger of some description.

Their skills at hiding, exploration and food gathering can all be better done by spells at higher levels.

You can be out of combat useful from level 1 to 5 and be a competent warrior with the class.

If you would ever be tempted to play one, now is the time.

Gwendol
2016-09-28, 03:17 AM
Ranged Hunter Ranger or (moon) druid. Can't go wrong with them, and they bring a lot to the team for the early levels.