PDA

View Full Version : pathfinder adveture paths general

Man on Fire
2016-09-27, 10:15 PM
Recently I've gained some interest in published adventure paths for pafinder and felt like running one one day. As such I want to ask which ap would you recommend, which ones should I avoid or be vary off, what problem some might present? And general diiscusion about them

digiman619
2016-09-28, 12:05 AM
Recently I've gained some interest in published adventure paths for pafinder and felt like running one one day. As such I want to ask which ap would you recommend, which ones should I avoid or be vary off, what problem some might present? And general diiscusion about them

Here's (https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/426fqz/spoilers_my_review_of_all_of_the_paizo_adventure/) a list of the Adventure Paths and a few sentences to review them. I figured it'd help.

CasualViking
2016-09-28, 12:27 AM
Skulls & Shackles, as far as I've played, fails to address the balance between another ship and another +1 to my sword. The kingdom building and mass battle rules in Kingmaker are hot garbage, and it's written as if 12th level character are the same as 5th level just with bigger numbers.

Krazzman
2016-09-28, 12:57 PM
Currently running Hell's Vengeance for my wife. It is awesome for being evil and in our case we haven't really any problems.

Currently playing in carrion crown. I don't like it really. You just feel powerless most of the time where some enemies just have a seemed catch even if you kill them.

I am pumped for starting strange aeons. Hopefully it's not bringing the same feeling as carrion crown.

Malimar
2016-09-28, 02:07 PM
The only one I've played through in its entirety is Rise of the Runelords. It's pretty standard fare.

Chronikoce
2016-09-28, 03:59 PM
I've tried to DM kingmaker but as a DM it requires a lot of time. It is less of an adventure path and more of a framework for running a sandbox game. The players can sort of focus on whatever they like (with some limits) which means there tends to either be a lot of planning or a lot of thinking on your feet (I actually stopped doing extra planning and just decided to wing it when they went and did random stuff).

We Be Goblins is fun for a silly night or two of adventuring.

Calthropstu
2016-09-28, 06:16 PM
I've tried to DM kingmaker but as a DM it requires a lot of time. It is less of an adventure path and more of a framework for running a sandbox game. The players can sort of focus on whatever they like (with some limits) which means there tends to either be a lot of planning or a lot of thinking on your feet (I actually stopped doing extra planning and just decided to wing it when they went and did random stuff).

We Be Goblins is fun for a silly night or two of adventuring.

Heh we be goblins was great. It was a lot of very silly fun.

But that aside, the one big thing about the adventure paths, is that there is very very little rp involved, and almost all battles. So if your group is more rp based than combat based, there's going to be a lot of work to adapt the adventure to their playing style.
Also of note, the adventures are geared towards a certain level of character optimization. If you don't have a tier 1 or 2 with you, there's going to be some serious problems. Even then, the sheer number of encounters they throw at you are enough to overwhelm a party caster. Jade Regent, the one I am throwing now has pretty much a... "Fight until you can't fight anymore, retreat and come back to fight some more" feel to it.

Ualaa
2016-09-29, 03:08 AM
While not a Paizo adventure path, our group had a blast with 'Way of the Wicked'.

This is a six part adventure path, by Fire Mountain Games.
You can buy the PDFs on Drive Thru RPG dot Com.
I bought them and then had them printed and spiral bound, at a Kinkos/Federal Express; they didn't have a problem printing them, as it was for personal use and was watermarked as an order by me.
The PDFs were reasonably priced, and having them printed wasn't too bad.

There is a seventh book, which is essentially extra material.

The PCs start off as criminals sentenced correctly (usually to death, but sometimes merely life imprisonment) for crimes they actually committed.
There are a number of traits, which correspond to their crime.

The first adventure is basically breaking out of jail.

They get a benefactor, who if they prove strong enough, wants to use them as pawns to overthrow the government which was set to execute them.

The first few adventures follow along with the villains plot.

The last adventures have more freedom for the players.
The earlier adventures give the characters a lot of options on how they do things, but they're essentially taking orders from a more powerful villain.
As things progress, the characters gain more and more control over events.

There are often sidebar scoring, which the players/characters are not actually aware of, but which the GM/DM can use to determine the outcome of the events the players choose.
For example, when attempting to overthrow a fortification... there are points for more actions than the players are likely to come up with, which at the same time acts as a score sheet/victory conditions for actions that they take which aren't anticipated.... if abc is worth 5 points, then their similar scale action is worth 5 points.
If they get enough points then the objective is achieved.

It's easy to track, because at certain points in the story it says the characters should be whatever level by this point or after completing this task.
So you don't have to track experience exactly, but you can.

Endzegiest has a good review on each of the adventures, on the drive thru rpg site.

While the PCs are villains, and get to play evil (suggested alignment Lawful Evil), the adventure does not abandon good taste, and is only as evil as the group is comfortable playing.
There are side rule options for becoming a Vampire or Lich..

Our group had an absolute blast with this one.

Chronikoce
2016-09-29, 11:22 AM
I've DM'd the first section of Way of the Wicked. I thought it was quite well done. Only reason we didn't continue is I moved and no longer have time to be a DM.

Man on Fire
2016-10-01, 10:56 PM
Here's (https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_RPG/comments/426fqz/spoilers_my_review_of_all_of_the_paizo_adventure/) a list of the Adventure Paths and a few sentences to review them. I figured it'd help.

That was a great read. I must admit I have very similiar feelings towards Jade Regent's core concept as the author - the prospect of carrying around an NPC liek Ameiko sounds like a recipee for a bad game.
Although I've seen campaing traits you can get in that game. I could see myself playing as a nonstandard race with trait "Chodhood Crush".
- I'm seducing our soon to be Empress.
- Dude, you're a Kobold.
- There is no CHA penalty on me.

CasualViking
2016-10-01, 11:35 PM
Indeed, APs tend to have a lot of pointless filler fights. Many of them are CR=APL, or as it's also known, pointless BS that's barely worth rolling initiative for.