PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Dual Wielder advice

Specter
2016-09-27, 10:52 PM
So, for a short campaign (levels 4 to 10) I figured I'd play a barbarian for the first time, and wanted to dual wield based on randomness. Grew kinda tired of the whole GWM thing. Rest of the party will be all casters, apparently (but most undecided, only sure calls are a Wizard and Cleric).

So, a few questions:
1) Other than Dual Wielder to wield massive axes, what other feats are good?
2) After Barbarian 5, what other possible classes would be good? I can see Fighter, but anything goes.
3) What would be a good race (other than Human) for ripping heads with giant axes?
4) What Totem? Frenzy is pointless if dual wielding.

Thanks, amigos.

RaynorReynolds
2016-09-28, 12:32 AM
So, for a short campaign (levels 4 to 10) I figured I'd play a barbarian for the first time, and wanted to dual wield based on randomness. Grew kinda tired of the whole GWM thing. Rest of the party will be all casters, apparently (but most undecided, only sure calls are a Wizard and Cleric).

So, a few questions:
2) After Barbarian 5, what other possible classes would be good? I can see Fighter, but anything goes.
3) What would be a good race (other than Human) for ripping heads with giant axes?

Thanks, amigos.

I would go Fighter 2. If you are willing to wield a rapier, pick up a few levels of rogue. Take bear totem since you will likely be the only one in melee. For feats, I would take Lucky if you have an ASI to spare.

Lalliman
2016-09-28, 12:48 AM
The Rage damage bonus goes nicely with dual-wielding, but you really need a dip to get Two Weapon Fighting style. Otherwise you're just losing out on 5 damage per round.

N810
2016-09-28, 07:48 AM
Half-Orc is probably the best race for barbarian. :thog:

Waazraath
2016-09-28, 09:00 AM
Half-Orc is probably the best race for barbarian. :thog:

Second this, especially since it's the only race that gives a direct damage boost (not regarding stat boosts, since stas are maxed anyway).

For the rest, it's difficult. You could think about buff spells (hex, hunters mark), but then you need to use your bonus action to cast the spell on turn 1 of the combat, the bonus action to rage on turn 2, and only at turn 3 you could make the extra attack with 2wf. That's too late, imo.

Champion 3 is an easy way to increase damage through increasing crit chance, and gives the needed fighting style. You could even go pally 11, for the extra 1d8 damage with every attack, and extra smite damage (just use your spells only for smite, and the occasional utility).

odigity
2016-09-28, 09:09 AM
You could think about buff spells (hex, hunters mark), but then you need to use your bonus action to cast the spell on turn 1 of the combat, the bonus action to rage on turn 2, and only at turn 3 you could make the extra attack with 2wf.

Rage breaks concentration.

Waazraath
2016-09-28, 09:26 AM
Rage breaks concentration.

Ah, thnx, even worse than I thought in that case.

smcmike
2016-09-28, 09:39 AM
If you are going barbarian/fighter, I suggest starting 2/2, leveling fighter to 6, then barb to 4. This gives you 3 ASI's at level 10, at the cost of delaying your first ASI and extra attack by 2 levels. This delay is acceptable because barbarian 2/fighter 2 is very strong - you get rage, reckless attack, two-weapon fighting, and action surge. I think you'll be doing plenty of damage.

Barbarian 5, fighter 4, barbarian 1 is ok too, but it costs an ASI at level 10.

Ranger is another option. Barb 5, ranger 4

PeteNutButter
2016-09-28, 12:18 PM

So, a few questions:

Thanks, amigos.

1) Dual Wielder is ok, I'd only get it as a V Human feat, otherwise ASI to str is better.
2) Fighter is on the right track. You need TWF style bad, and it fixes that. Normally I'd suggest taking fighter at level 2, and delaying extra attack by just one level (+3-4 damage for 4 levels > than extra attack ~9 damage for one level), but since you are starting at 4, just take barbarian 5/Fighter 4, and possibly another barbarian level or rogue if you don't mind using finesse weapons. Champion is great with Reckless attack and 3 attacks per round. Battle Master is great too. Alternatively you could go Barb 5/Ranger 4/Fighter 1. Ranger is a bit weaker as you can't cast or concentrate on spells when raging, but the hordebreaker is a nice boost. Doing that build gives you both TWF and Defense fighting styles. Lastly If you start fighter to 6 then Barb 4 it'll end up the strongest with an extra ASI, but I don't think that's what you really want to do.
3) ...anything w str. V Human is the best bang for your buck. Mountain Dwarf can start w two 17s for an 18 in both at your starting level of 4.
4) Bear is probably the way to go, especially if you are the only real front liner. Those other damage types don't come up often, but you'll be glad when they do.

Mandragola
2016-09-28, 03:48 PM
If you are going barbarian/fighter, I suggest starting 2/2, leveling fighter to 6, then barb to 4. This gives you 3 ASI's at level 10, at the cost of delaying your first ASI and extra attack by 2 levels. This delay is acceptable because barbarian 2/fighter 2 is very strong - you get rage, reckless attack, two-weapon fighting, and action surge. I think you'll be doing plenty of damage.

Barbarian 5, fighter 4, barbarian 1 is ok too, but it costs an ASI at level 10.

Ranger is another option. Barb 5, ranger 4

Nope, always go fighter or barb 5 first, for the extra attack. If you're starting at level 4, make that barbarian 4 and get barbarian 5 as your next level.

After that you've got several options. Continuing as a single-class barbarian is actually a perfectly valid one, since at that point it's only a difference of 4 dpr if you add your strength to your off-hand attack, and you won't even be able to do it every turn (for instance, raging takes a bonus action). This is considerably balanced out by the fact that rage damage scales with your barbarian level. So at 9th you get another 3dpr - at least when raging.

Fighter and barbarian mix pretty well. The onyl caveat I'd say is that there's no real point taking either above leve 4, though that ASI you do get is pretty cool.

I do recommend taking the dual wielder feat. It's mainly for the freedom it gives, since you can use any weapon you come across, rather than the slight increase in damage it gives you. The AC is no bad thing either. Drawing two weapons at a time is also useful because you'll often find you need to use your hands for climbing and stuff, so it's impractical to go around with a sword in each one. This feat just makes your life a lot easier basically.

Personally I think I'd take only one level of fighter, if any. Grab the fighting style and get back to raging. But to be honest this is definitely a matter of personal choice. A dual wielder might actually be better off completely the opposite way round - with just a single level of barbarian and maxed out fighter levels for loads of attacks. Either extreme, or pretty much anything in between, ought to be fine.

I think that a fun character would be to go fighter 6, barbarian 1, rogue 3 (swashbuckler) then fighter or rogue X. Make one of your weapons something with finesse, but still use strength to attack. Get battlemaster manoeuvres, rage, sneak and action surge for massive nova damage if needed. Sneak around the place naked.

Saggo
2016-09-28, 03:50 PM
It sounds like you'd really enjoy a Bear6/Champion4 Half-Orc Crit Fisher build, hit fast and often with large crit spikes (opposite slow and risky power attacking) with Reckless Attacks giving better crit odds and also making you a juicy target for tanking. Something like Bear4 with either Athlete or Tavern Brawler for 18/14/16 Str/Dex/Con to Bear5 for Extra Attack, then Champ4 for crit range and Dual Wielder, then Bear6 for an extra Rage. If you roll and it's applicable, take +2 Str instead of Athlete/Tavern.

smcmike
2016-09-28, 04:37 PM
Nope, always go fighter or barb 5 first, for the extra attack. If you're starting at level 4, make that barbarian 4 and get barbarian 5 as your next level.

This is better at level 5 and 6. I think my proposed build is clearly better at level 4, equal at levels 7 and 8, better at levels 9 and 10.

Tauguy628
2016-09-29, 07:53 PM
As the whole party is made up of casters, you will most liky be tanking. If that is the case, I would strongly recommend picking up sentinel to keep the enemies attacking you and not the casters who have d6 hit dice.

beargryllz
2016-09-29, 08:51 PM
Strongly recommend the fighter dip up to lvl 3 for champion, especially for half-orc barbarians. Or you can dip 2 lvls for action surge

There aren't that many amazing feats for this build. You're better off stacking STR to 20, getting Dual Wielder at some point, and then stacking DEX or CON

Specter
2016-09-30, 11:05 AM
Appreciate it fellas. Will be starting Barb 4 with Dual Wielder. As for race, I picked Goliath because I'm already playing a Half-Orc. Will end Bearbarian 6/Champion 4 (I realize more Fighter would be more optimal but it's not the focus).