PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Divine Metamagic: Heighten Spell AND Reserve Feats

Endarire
2016-09-28, 01:07 AM
Greetings, all!

I'm curious how Divine Metamagic: Heighten Spell interacts with reserve feats (Summon Elemental, Fiery Burst, etc.) For example, if I have Divine Metamagic: Heighten Spell, Heighten Spell, summon monster I, and enough turn attempts to affect a level 9 spell (which is 10 turn attempts, by the way), can I, at Cleric1, use Summon Elemental as if I'm casting from a level 9 Conjuration (Summoning) spell?

How do things change if I can spontaneously cast summon monster I with the above setup? (Spontaneous SMI casting is from Domain Spontaneity feat and the Summoner Domain.)

weckar
2016-09-28, 07:43 AM
Afaik, Divine Metamagic is only applied upon casting the spell - so you never actually have a 9th level spell prepared. It would probably qualify you for getting the summon elemental feat, though.

Darrin
2016-09-28, 09:17 AM
I'm curious how Divine Metamagic: Heighten Spell interacts with reserve feats (Summon Elemental, Fiery Burst, etc.) For example, if I have Divine Metamagic: Heighten Spell, Heighten Spell, summon monster I, and enough turn attempts to affect a level 9 spell (which is 10 turn attempts, by the way), can I, at Cleric1, use Summon Elemental as if I'm casting from a level 9 Conjuration (Summoning) spell?

As far as I can determine... no. The reserve feats check your current spell slots. I don't see any indication that they can "see" an effect that raises the spell level of something as the spell is being cast. If you have a 9th level summon spell prepared or a slot open that can spontaneously cast a 9th level, then that's what determines what the reserve feat does.

I think if a spontaneous caster had a higher-level slot open and Heighten Spell, I'd allow them to use their highest-available spell slot to determine the effect of the reserve feat, but Divine Metamagic couldn't factor into it. The reserve feat is keyed to the spell slot, not something that you apply to the spell as you cast it.

How do things change if I can spontaneously cast summon monster I with the above setup? (Spontaneous SMI casting is from Domain Spontaneity feat and the Summoner Domain.)

Casting a 9th-level summon monster I doesn't actually change the spell all that much. You're still limited to the creatures on the SMI list. I think all it really does is get you past a globe of invulnerability and increase the save DC if someone has to make a saving throw against the spell... and since summon spells are "Saving Throw: none", it's something of a non-issue.

That being said... I may just be having one of those mornings, but I can't see anything in the rules that would prevent a 1st level cleric with 18 Cha, Heighten Spell, Divine Metamagic, and Extra Turning from qualifying for a prestige class that requires higher level spells. So this could probably be used as an "early entry trick" (with a comparable success rate as most other early entry tricks).

Doc_Maynot
2016-09-28, 10:07 AM
You could in theory use that trick to pick up Extra Slot (Complete Arcane, p. 79) of spell level 8 however and use that to fuel your reserve feats.

Endarire
2016-09-28, 02:38 PM
As a Cleric1 with the DMM Heighten setup and Extra Slot for the L8 slot, do I also get the Cleric spells known of level 8 as well since I have a slot as a Cleric1?

Doc_Maynot
2016-09-28, 03:04 PM
As a Cleric1 with the DMM Heighten setup and Extra Slot for the L8 slot, do I also get the Cleric spells known of level 8 as well since I have a slot as a Cleric1?

Clerics don't "know" spells, they just prepare slots from their list in the morning. So yes, you could put an 8th level spell in there.

Endarire
2016-09-28, 03:41 PM
So to confirm, a doubly-flawed 16 CHA Human Cleric1 with Extra Turning, Heighten and DMM Heighten, the Summoner domain (+2 CL on Summoning and Calling spells) and the feat Summon Elemental (+1 CL on Summoning spells) qualifies for the feat Extra Slot.

She takes the feat Extra Slot and is now able to cast a level 8 spell each day. Does this mean she gets bonus spells of that spell level from high WIS? What about domain slots? Can she also prepare level 2-7 spells in this level 8 slot even though she has no slots of those levels?