PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Up Reality IC

Rizban
2016-09-28, 01:16 AM
The mists clear, and a small group of people find themselves in an unknown location. One human, two dwarves, a lady orc, and two halflings, one dead and the other stark naked. As they look around they see...

http://www.mornproductions.com/gitp/RUR/002.png

Featureless black "plateau" a few feet tall. The place the mists deposited your group.
Possibly edible berry bushes?
Several edible berry bushes can be found here.
Deer(?) tracks spotted in the area.

Trees good for lumber.
Potential water source!

Nothing of note?

Nothing of note?

Rizban
2016-09-28, 01:21 AM
What do they see?
[roll0]
The six five of you find yourselves standing on a small hill, more of a bump really, composed of a strange black stone on which nothing grows. The stone outcropping has what seems to be a perfectly flat top some 50 feet in diameter, with sides sloping down gently for about another 15 feet. Outside of the strange stone is a lightly wooded area in all directions (http://copakelakerealty.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/5-Woodland-406x300.jpg); however, there seems to be a small field about half the size of the stone hill in what you assume to be due west.

The weather appears to be clear for the moment, with large, fluffy clouds keeping the sun hidden from view, although it seems to be mid morning. Based on the quickly rising temperature, you assume it to be some time in summer.

planswalker
2016-09-28, 01:23 AM
The naked halfling will quickly strip the corpse bare and take the fellow's clothes and gear for himself. After all, the man clearly has no need for them any more

ACExtravaganza
2016-09-28, 02:52 AM
Looking around at the strange faces, Jason Felix begins taking off his heavy wool coat. Upon noticing the fallen halfing on the.. pedestal?... Jason immediately rushed to his side and see if he needed aid, quickly realizing they were already dead. While standing back up, Jason looks off the stony mound into the woods for his brothers, he asks the group, Who exactly are you people, do you have any idea where in the name of the gods we are, and do you happen to know how it is no longer winter? After checking the immediate area, he takes a closer look at the stone mound to see if it appears to be natural or worked.

Spot to find my brothers: [roll0]
Craft (masonry) to judge the stone: [roll1]

Rizban
2016-09-28, 02:56 AM
Looking around at the strange faces, Jason Felix begins taking off his heavy wool coat. Upon noticing the fallen halfing on the.. pedestal?... Jason immediately rushed to his side and see if he needed aid, quickly realizing they were already dead. While standing back up, Jason looks off the stony mound into the woods for his brothers, he askes the groupWho exactly are you people, do you have any idea where in the name of the gods we are, and do you happen to know how it is no longer winter? After checking the immediate area, he takes a closer look at the stone mound to see if it appears to be natural or worked.

Spot to find my brothers: [roll0]
Craft (masonry) to judge the stone: [roll1]Jason spots absolutely nothing new or relevant.
The stone appears to be unworked but not entirely natural. He's unable to ascertain more than that with simple observation.

Johel
2016-09-28, 04:12 AM
Doral stood both confused and worried. This didn’t look like the woods around the Strand domain. And the three strangers in front of him weren’t source of comfort for the old dwarf :
A Halfling busy looting the corpse of another one, which Doral assumed was a victim of the naked scavenger.
A heavily armed dwarf that didn’t inspire much to Doral’s guts but still, one doesn’t lose anything in being cautious.
And a rather loud human, too friendly to be honest, especially considering the circumstances.

Usually, protocol dictated that he spoke for his mistress, avoiding her the bother to deal with lesser people. But here, away from the Strand domain, nobility might not be an asset and could even be a liability. For all, Doral knew, the naked half-man, the taciturn dwarf and the green-eyed human could be bandits, in league for plunder and murder. The corpse nearby didn’t do much to convince him otherwise.

Doral :
« -I am Doral, son of Dural. And this is Severina. We are mere travelers and have no more clue than you do. »

He hoped mistress Severina would understand and excuse that he didn't use her formal title or even full name. It was, after all, for her own good.

crowe
2016-09-28, 07:28 AM
Am I dreaming? The damnable mists had parted finally, and here Thonir was, standing in the midst of a group of people that weren't there a moment ago, one of them dead...

You there! What have you done to that man? What's all of this? WHO ARE YOU? WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!

Thonir backs away from the group and takes a defensive stance, axe drawn, clearly, the dwarf is having trouble adjusting.

Johel
2016-09-28, 07:57 AM
That… was unexpected.

Doral took his bow, adjusting an arrow onto the string, fiddling clumsily with the weapon while looking at the dwarf. He did not draw. This was for several reasons.
First, even a accomplished bowman would have strained under the effort of keeping a drawn bow aimed at a target for too long. Doral didn’t want to shoot and didn’t know when he might have to. Better preserve his strength.
Second, he didn’t want to alienate his fellow dwarf too much, just in case the warrior was honestly as confused as he was. No point in starting a fight that Doral knew he and his mistress couldn’t win. This was especially true if the others were in league with the screaming beard.
Finally, he didn’t want to give away his utter lack of practice and therefor, if strength was the only thing keeping the rabble to mug them, fail at convincing them to desist. Even if they were peaceful travelers, showing weakness might not be wise.

Doral :
“-Son, you better calm down and put that axe down. I want no part in whatever this is about…”

He nodded at the (not naked anymore) halfling and the (now naked) body of his probable victim.

“…but I ain’t the next one to die here.”

crowe
2016-09-28, 01:01 PM
Doral :
“-Son, you better calm down and put that axe down. I want no part in whatever this is about…”

He nodded at the (not naked anymore) halfling and the (now naked) body of his probable victim.

“…but I ain’t the next one to die here.”

Thonir:
I will calm down when I know what madness this is, Elder.

Thonir looks out of the corner of his eye and sees the old dwarf readying his bow....yet the act seems cautious, not hostile...things are getting out of hand, quickly, and it is Thonir that has stoked this forge. Thonir grimaces and he lowers the axe, it not quite touching the ground and the flat directed at the group, a peaceable move in Thonir's book. Still, his shield is ready, and he shifts subtly to have a path at the graybeard in case he decides to draw back that bow.

I don't...I don't...understand what is going on here, one moment I was flushing pheasants for my hunting party....and then these damned mists came, and I heard Grundgur call for me, and I tried to return, and now, now, I am here, with you mad lot, you are NOT even from my clanhold, graybeard, and I DON'T UNDERSTAND A FLAMING THING THAT IS GOING ON!

ACExtravaganza
2016-09-28, 01:16 PM
Turning to the younger dwarf, hands outstretched at his sides in a sign of none-aggression, Calm down, good sir. From what the few of you who have spoken said, we seem to all be in the same boat.

Adressing the elder dwarf, gesturing to the dead halfling, I sincerely doubt our naked friend would have been able to kill this person completely unarmed without so much as taking a single wound. I've seen my fair share of murdered scenes in the slums of Azure, and this unnatural plateau looks nothing like them.

Then, addressing the group as a whole, Allow me to introduce myself, Jason Felix of the Azure City Felixes, Artisan of the Guild. I, for one, have never heard of mist transporting people to a new location, and I have no idea why I would have been brought here. Do any of you know more about this?

Jason was trying not to let his worry show. He had always been good at masking his true feelings, an unfortunate necessity considering his divergent beliefs and actions from his family and guild. Were his brothers with him in this place? Would he rather they not be here, or just through this temperate forest? Where in the world was this forest? How long would it take and hard would it be for him to get home?

Didn't notice what Thorin said while I was typing, so adjusted the post accordingly.

[roll0]

Johel
2016-09-28, 01:53 PM
Doral grumbled some form a approval at the young beard’s change of posture. He relaxed his grip on the arrow but kept the bow at hand, if only because of the formerly naked thief.
He could see the point of Jason about the Halfling but was still suspicious. No need to press things further, though : the little thief would speak soon enough. But back to the human…

This “Azure City” didn’t ring a bell in Doral’s dusty memory, though by the look of the lad, he was from the South or the East. The old dwarf hadn’t traveled these parts. Or maybe, if that story about mist wasn’t complete bogus, it meant the lad wasn’t even from the same world than Doral and Severina. There were tales of such things, of mages from old, traveling through space, time and even realities. And if priests could bring back the deads as some churches claimed, then why shouldn’t these tales have some measure of truth ?

Doral :
"As I said, I am Doral, son of Dural. And this is Severina. We are mere travelers and might indeed be lost. I do not recall of us ever getting off the path, nor can I recall such clearing and stone in the woods we were crossing. And the gods know I’ve known them for decades !! So you might be on to something, Jason Felix of Azure City…"

planswalker
2016-09-28, 11:06 PM
Seeing that his fellow misplaced travelers seem no better informed than himself, Dunn Junn will focus on getting clothed and equipped off the other halfling's corpse while the initial confusion is sorted out. Once all of the now-his personal effects are in order and the introductions are being passed out, Dunn will contribute his own to the mix.

"The name's Dunn Junn. All I know was that I was enjoying the attentions of a rather lovely lady late at night when suddenly I found myself here in front of you all with no idea what's happening and even less to wear. I apologize if some of you took offense at me divesting this other fellow of his gear. He didn't seem to be using it, and I definitely could.

Now then, anyone object if I go poking around nearby and try to figure out where we are?"

ACExtravaganza
2016-09-29, 02:22 AM
Go right ahead. I've never been one for geography, myself. To be perfectly honest, the only reason I even know I'm in a different forest is because the climate has gone from biting cold to this. I think I'm going to try and figure out more about this strange plateau, I've got a feeling there is something a bit more to it. If anyone needs my help with anything, I'm willing to lend a hand. The sooner we figure out where we are and what happened to us, the sooner we can get back to our respective homes. Might I suggest someone try and find a nearby settlement?

This seems to be going about as well as could be expected. The old-looking orc and dwarf (strange combination for traveling partners) seemed to be fairly composed, as did the halfling. This other dwarf, though... bit too on-edge. Probably doesn't like strangers much, typical of a dwarf. But still, he didn't run off, and though distressed he seems to be willing to listen. We might be able to find a villiage before nightfall. If not... well, its a good thing I'm here, because we may need to build a shelter for ourselves.

Not sure what I'm supposed to roll, so I thought I would ask

Major action: Examine the plateau and try to determine its nature. Bonus for the natural 20 on my first roll?

Minor action: Provide assistance

planswalker
2016-09-29, 03:16 AM
Dunn will explore around in the woods nearby, looking for what there was nearby. He'll take care to avoid being casually seen as he looks

While he's at it, he'll be looking for anything edible to be had. It never hurts to have provisions.

major action: scout the surrounding area
taking 10 on hide and move silently for 21 and 19 respectively
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

minor action: look for provisions
[roll3]

ACExtravaganza
2016-09-29, 10:39 AM
Maybe I should actually include some rolls rather than just list skills :smalltongue:

Knowledge (arch and eng): [roll0]
Craft (Masonry): [roll1]
Craft (Ornamentation) [checking for any detail work that may have gone unnoticed]: [roll2]
Spot: [roll3]
Search : [roll4]
Survival: [roll5]

crowe
2016-09-29, 11:32 AM
Madness and double damned madness. The little savage was no better than those battlefield looters he heard tales of, "Rooks" the elders called them, and they would strip a dwarf clean before they had the time to bleed out, disgusting. Still, Thorin was not so high and mighty not to see the sense of it, better to have him clothed than freeze off that freshly used prick of his.

The Graybeard sounded reasonable, though his "Lady" seemed oddly silent AND part-greenblood to boot, what was THAT all about? Not hardly his mug of ale, beardless and toothy as she were.

The Human too, seemed to have a fair head on his shoulders, and seemed reasonable.

Whatever all of this was, this is what they had at the moment and five stood better odds at anything than one. Thorin abandoned his stance and struck a parade stance.

I...I am Thorin, Thorin Kuldurin of the Clanhold Karrakys. Son of Burri Kuldurin, slayer of the giant Bhak, who was the son of Snorri Kuldurin, Slayer of the Host at Jabra Rock....

Being outlanders for the most part, Thorin decided not to formally introduce himself with the whole Fifteen Generations of Kuldurin. A short introduction was best.

A town would be good, but I seen no mountains nearby to house such, not even a hillock for a simple hunting cabin. We should find water, forage, and gather wood for a lean-to and fire, using the stone as a landmark and rally point, if we run across a road in our gatherings, all the better.

Thorin approached a knelt beside the dead and now naked halfling, trying to discern the nature of his death. At the same time, he inspected this curious rock under his feet.

Rolling Heal (untrained) to determined a cause of death:
[roll0]

Rolling Craft (stonework) to determine the type of stone and anything unusual about it:
[roll1]

Rizban
2016-09-29, 11:49 AM
You aren't entirely sure about the halfling's cause of death, but you would hazard a guess that the distinct blue color of the halfling's face and general sogginess of his clothing indicates some form of drowning.

Johel
2016-09-29, 02:05 PM
I...I am Thorin, Thorin Kuldurin of the Clanhold Karrakys. Son of Burri Kuldurin, slayer of the giant Bhak, who was the son of Snorri Kuldurin, Slayer of the Host at Jabra Rock....

Being outlanders for the most part, Thorin decided not to formally introduce himself with the whole Fifteen Generations of Kuldurin. A short introduction was best.

A town would be good, but I seen no mountains nearby to house such, not even a hillock for a simple hunting cabin. We should find water, forage, and gather wood for a lean-to and fire, using the stone as a landmark and rally point, if we run across a road in our gatherings, all the better.

Thorin approached a knelt beside the dead and now naked halfling, trying to discern the nature of his death. At the same time, he inspected this curious rock under his feet.

Doral turned to his mistress.

Doral :
"-La... hum... Severina ? What say you ?"

crowe
2016-09-30, 11:52 PM
You aren't entirely sure about the halfling's cause of death, but you would hazard a guess that the distinct blue color of the halfling's face and general sogginess of his clothing indicates some form of drowning.

Given the wet clothes, I suggest we get a fire going first, the peck is liable to catch a chill like that.

Survival Roll to find suitable firewood:
[roll0]

Johel
2016-10-01, 12:21 AM
Lady Severina didn't seem willing to interact with the rabble. Maybe she saw something Doral didn't or maybe she was still processing the whole situation ? Or maybe she had simply gone mad. That would explain the sudden "going strolling through the woods in search of dear late husband".

Thorin, now calmed, had the right idea. The lad was as could be expected from a dwarf : practical. And a fire would indeed be needed, if only to keep the cold night at bay or to cook whatever meat the others might bring back.

And so Doral put back the bow onto his back and started looking for wood with Thorin.

Major action :
Assistance to Thorin to start a fire
Skill : profession : butler
[roll0]

Rizban
2016-10-02, 10:42 PM
End Round 1

Severina, who has avoided contact with the remainder of the group disappears when no one is looking. Doral thinks that he catches sight of dissipating tendrils of The Mists where he last spotted her, but he can't be certain.

Dunn Junn heads off to explore the surrounding area. With no specific direction mind he heads Northwest. There, he finds naught but more light woodlands.

He also finds numerous berry bushes that contain a berry he is unable to identify. However, if it is edible, there should be enough to feed the four of you for at least two days with a little left over. Perhaps it would be worth risking the berries to preserve your single day's worth of trail rations...

He discovers spoor that he identifies as belonging to several herbivores in the area. Perhaps deer of some kind feeding on the berries?

Jason Felix spends the day examining the plateau, assisted by Thonir Kuldurin. From all he can tell, the plateau appears to be natural stone and is completely unworked. In fact, it seems completely unworkable, as any attempts to fracture pieces off of it for study have thus far failed, and searching thoroughly for shards or fragments turns up nothing.

However, he does discover a small depression in the soil just off the side of the plateau. Digging it up, he discovers a leather pouch which contains an ornately crafted dagger and a small book. Unfortunately, the dagger is slightly rusted, and the book has become sodden and decayed to the point that it crumbles when he handles it.

Thonir Kuldurin collects firewood, with minor assistance provided by Jason Felix. Together, they are able to gather enough firewood to last [roll0] days.

Begin Round 2

The day is drawing to a close, and the sun heads towards setting. You have only 2 or 3 hours of daylight remaining.

planswalker
2016-10-02, 10:48 PM
Dunn will pop a few berries in his mouth and see if they're edible. Assuming he doesn't immediately have a reaction to them, he'll gather up his harvest and return to camp. Perhaps the others have had a more enlightening day.

Johel
2016-10-03, 01:51 AM
The disappearance of Severina made Doral panicked. Had he already failed, after a mere few hours ?! And what he saw in the mist…

Doral :
Lady Severina !!

To the nine hells with caution!! The three strangers were the least of his worries right now. His mistress was nowhere to be seen and potentially in mortal danger. Not an idiot but full of passion, Doral jumped toward the misty tendrils, screaming the name of the she-orc some more, hoping to at least hear something, anything that could help him locate her. To protect and serve the Strand was his sworn duty and she was the last Strand…

Doral :
Thonir, did you see her, lad ? My old eyes might be failing me but I’ll be damned if something wasn’t moving back there !!

crowe
2016-10-03, 06:36 PM
Doral :
Thonir, did you see her, lad ? My old eyes might be failing me but I’ll be damned if something wasn’t moving back there !!

Thonir, drops his load of firewood and looks to where Doral is pointing.

I...no...didn't see her...she has not moved the whole time, must have walked by her a half a dozen times at least and she hasn't moved. What the hells is all of this...?

How do you lose a comatose woman standing in the middle of a featureless plateau?

Severina.......WHERE ARE YOU!!!

Thonir shouts, but of course the cry is unanswered. He looks towards the quickly dropping sun. Roll Survival: [roll0].

Eh, maybe she's using the privy....yeah...right...late in the day to mount a search, perhaps we should light the fire and hope she founds her way back.

Thonir lights the fight and Survival[roll1].

planswalker
2016-10-03, 11:20 PM
Upon seeing one of his companions work on a shelter, Dunn will give him a hand.

[roll0]

Once they complete the shelter, Dunn will offer him a handful of berries. "Found these out in the woods today. Don't know what kind they are, but they don't seem to be poison."

ACExtravaganza
2016-10-04, 01:33 AM
I'll stick with my packed meal, thanks. With that, for the first time since getting to this place, Jason Felix checks the inside of his bag.

Oh no.

This is my brother's pack. I have his spell book. His component pouch. I have to get it back to him! If he's out here alone he won't be able to fend for himself! Oh, gods I hope he didn't get transported...

If not consoled, Jason is going to obsess over this and search all night for his brother, Martin Felix. He will not be cautious or inconspicuous about this.

Rizban
2016-10-04, 02:05 AM
You successfully form a simple lean-to on the plateau and build a fire.

There is no trace of Severina...

Johel
2016-10-04, 02:13 AM
As much as Doral wanted to berat his fellow dwarf, to scream that the Lady wasn’t stupid enough to go on her own « to the privies » without noticing anyone when in the middle of an unknown forest… he really had to agree with Thonir : Severina could be rash, impulsive and foolish, much like her late husband and eldest son.

She could just have gone exploring on her own, staying silent to their calls on purpose. And, what with her upbringing, if she wanted not to be found, Doral had little chance to track her. Especially without sunlight and in the middle of an unknown forest clouded in mist.

Jason would have to accept the same logic for his brother.

Doral :
“-As much as I hate the idea, there ain’t much we can do for your brother or Severina. If we go searching during the night, we’ll most probably just get lost ourselves. Even if we don’t, we won’t cover much ground in the dark. Me and Thonir can see a bit clearer than you and the Halfling but I ain’t able to pick a track and, unless I’m mistaken, I don’t think Thonir is much of a surface hunter. Also, I believe there’s… something lurking around. We won’t be doing any favor to our friends by jumping blindly in its maws. Let’s lit a big fire and hope they see it.”

Aid another [roll0] build shelter / make big fire / bring more wood

ACExtravaganza
2016-10-04, 02:27 AM
Jason, shakes his head, This is my brother we're talking about! he's complacently defenseless without these things! If there is something out there that could kill me, it is far more likely to kill him!

Perhaps you had no great loyalty to your traveling companion, but this is my family. I can't just leave him to be eaten by some horrid beast in the dark woods of a strange land!

Johel
2016-10-04, 03:17 AM
In normal time, a dwarf would have caved the skull of the human for his words. But Doral had been the butler of three generations of humans and knew not to listen to his impulses.

Doral :
I have serve House Strand before either Severina or his husband were born, lad. I watch over his father as he grew from a toddler into an old man. I love her nearly as if she was my own blood. I love her enough to trust in her abilities and judgement. And I have enough sense to know that running to help her when she might not need it might end up causing more harm than good. This has nothing to do with loyalty.

If we go in there blindly, screaming for your brother, we won’t have more chances of finding him than he would of finding our fire. In fact, we’ll have more chances of getting lost for nothing, for he might very well be very far from here, be unconscious or simply unable to answer our calls.
But our screams WILL disturb a lot of things in these woods. And those WILL find your brother, alone in the dark, with no weapon in hand safe his ****. Now, I’m not saying he’ll be safe if we don’t go. But he’ll have more chances to survive through night if a bunch of lost travelers don’t awaken all the cranky beasts of these woods.

A big fire will keep most of the night predators at bay and guide your brother to us if he can.
But, frankly, I doubt we’ll see him soon. Before coming upon this clearing, what is your last memory? When was the last time you saw that brother of yours ? How long was it ? For all you know, if that magic mist thing is true, your brother might very well have stayed in Azure City and not be in these parts at all.

ACExtravaganza
2016-10-04, 01:08 PM
Jason is visibly shaking with emotion. Still, you can see the gears turning in his mind as he processes everything that was just said to him.

Jason shakes a bit with emotion, before letting out a long, slow breath. I-I'm sorry. Had you been honest about your relationship to her from the start I would have never said such things. I'm sorry.

My family and I were on a retreat in mid-winter in the Sapphire Forrest far to the north of the city. My brothers and I had gone out hunting for deer. Not that any of us actually expected to kill any dear. Well, maybe Jethro, but certainly not myself or Martin. It was more of a bonding exercise. A tradition. The three of us were all together when the mist came in. If it took me, I don't see why it would leave them. Then again, if it didn't bring them with me the way you and your Lady had come together, perhaps that means they are still in the Sapphire Forrest, looking for me...

Jason's shaking slows as he speaks, his speech patterns slowly getting calmer until finally he lets out a long, deep breath. Your right. I wouldn't want my brothers shouting through the Sapphire Forrest in the middle of the night trying to find me when I'm no where near. I just feel so helpless here, doing nothing. I'm a craftsman! I'm no adventurer, I'm not cut out for this sort of thing. You need a chair or armor or gods-damned house built, I'm your man. You need so much as a rat killed in your basement, call someone else... I guess I can help make sure our shelter is secure for the night, then we'll start searching the area again in the morning.

Unless I misunderstood and those will be fore tomorrow, which is certainly possible.

Major Action: Sleep. It is getting late and Jason wants to get a full nights rest for his activities tomorrow.

Minor Action: fortify shelter. I know our shelter is a simple lean-to, but perhaps I could shore up some errors with the original design.
Knowledge (Arch & Eng): [roll0]
Craft (carpentry): [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]

planswalker
2016-10-04, 01:09 PM
"Fire sounds good." Dunn agrees. He'll then set about making one.

take 10 for an 18 total, calculating in the aid another bonus.

crowe
2016-10-04, 02:58 PM
Once they complete the shelter, Dunn will offer him a handful of berries. "Found these out in the woods today. Don't know what kind they are, but they don't seem to be poison."

Knowledge Nature (untrained)= [roll0]
Survival= [roll1]

Why urm, thank you, I...I think I will save these for later.

Probably safe, especially for a dwarf, but best to see if the peck gets a bellyache.

You shouldn't wear those clothes til the fire has had a chance to dry them, you could catch a chill. You can wrap yourself in this gunnysack of mine and spread the clothes on some branches next to the fire.

Doral :
“-As much as I hate the idea, there ain’t much we can do for your brother or Severina. If we go searching during the night, we’ll most probably just get lost ourselves. Even if we don’t, we won’t cover much ground in the dark. Me and Thonir can see a bit clearer than you and the Halfling but I ain’t able to pick a track and, unless I’m mistaken, I don’t think Thonir is much of a surface hunter. Also, I believe there’s… something lurking around. We won’t be doing any favor to our friends by jumping blindly in its maws. Let’s lit a big fire and hope they see it.”

Thonir scowls at the remark about his hunting prowess, but let's it go. He'd wasn't much of a surface hunter yet.

Sounds sensible Doral, we should set a watch, to see if our friends return, any new guests show up, or....if anyone else wanders..off...

Thonir seems visibly disturbed at the last prospect.

With everyone helping, it seems the lean-seems to have gotten quite comfy, and the roof solid. Thonir uses the green stripped branches and fallen leaves to make up some bedding to keep his bedroll off the ground, and helps the others with this as well if they are so inclined. He pounds a heavy stake into the ground and hangs his armor off the ground along with his shield.

I've got an axe, a bow, 20 arrows, my armor, about a day's worth of food, a skin of ale, pack, a sack, flint and steel, and the clothes on my back, going to need ale soon, or.....<shudder>water. Wasn't prepared to be out for long. What have all of you?

ACExtravaganza
2016-10-04, 04:30 PM
Let me check to see what Martin packed... Looks Like I've got 10 candles, his spell book and spell component pouch, a packed meal of jerky, bread, and dried berries for a day's worth of hunting, a bedroll (why would Martin have even packed that?), a sack for carrying venison back to the cabin, flint and steel, a scroll case with three blank pieces of parchment rolled in it, a full inkwell with an inkpen, and a bolt case with 10 bolts in it. I've also got my walking staff and light crossbow, as well as my far-too-hot winter ware and a waterskin I've been sipping from all day.

Jason Felix looked concerned. Assuming the others had similar supplies to himself and Thorin, that wouldn't be enough to get them all through the next few days. Jason was beginning to think this would take far longer than that. Water had to be a priority in the morning, and as for food... Jason glanced over at the dead Halfing. No. We aren't that desperate yet... but maybe something should be done to preserve the meat... just in case. Best not to bring the idea up around strangers he may be relying on for survival for gods know how long. At least until they see how things fair tomorrow.

planswalker
2016-10-04, 09:49 PM
Dunn will describe the contents of his salvaged pack and then turn in for the night.

Johel
2016-10-05, 02:37 AM
Doral :
Same goes here: armor and weapons, some arrows, about a day’s worth of dried food. Maybe two if I ration it short. I had to leave in a hurry and was counting on Severina’s hunting skills to provide until the next civilized spot.
The watch is a good idea. I’ll take mine when the sun is completely out, if it’s ok with everyone. We got two dwarves who can see in pitch black darkness and we don’t know when dawn might come in these parts. Let’s make the best of it. I’ll wake the next sentry once the sun start rising.

crowe
2016-10-06, 03:03 PM
Indeed, I will take a night watch as well. Tomorrow, we must find water or a road, I suggest we look for game trails, they always seem to lead to water.

Rizban
2016-10-08, 07:16 PM
Thonir examines the berries. They're bluish purple and about the size of the fingernail of his smallest finger. Though it's not a species he's seen before, it appears to be some kind of huckleberry. Chances are, it's entirely harmless. Crushing one reveals a thick, dark juice with a sweet scent.

Since nobody but Dunn Junn ate any of the berries, each of you either ate your single day's worth of trail rations or went hungry all day. Please state which.

You rest through the night uninterrupted. The next morning is clear and bright.

Dunn Junn awakes to find that he doesn't feel even the least bit hungry this morning.

Constructing the shelter and building the fire required no actions, so everyone has full actions for Round 2.

ACExtravaganza
2016-10-09, 01:16 AM
After everyone awoke and collected around the plateau, Jason spoke up. It would seem we have two priorities at the moment; We need enough food and water to get us through, and we need to find civilization. The nearest town could be days away, and if we don't have food or water until we find it we never will. On the other hand, if all we do is forage we won't find anything new. If one of us is sufficiently skilled with regard to wilderness survival, the rest of us can search the surrounding area for signs of civilization. You said the north-west is just more unworked temperate forest, right Dunn? We can explore due north and than work clock-wise from there. If any of you have any skill with cartography, you can use my inkpen and a parchment to make a rough map. If not I'll try my hand at it. So, where does everyone's skills lie? Are any of you secret savants with regard to wilderness?

As he asks the question, Jason remembers another he forgot to mention the day before.

Ah, that's right. Buried by the plateau I found a stylized dagger and a decayed book. While I don't have much knowledge regarding such things, it definitely feels ritualistic to me. Might have something to do with how that unnatural plateau came to be, maybe even why we were brought here. The book is basically worthless, but if any of you have a mind for magic I can help you figure out what the exact patterns on the dagger were before it corroded. Ornamentation is a bit of my specialty.

Major: Regardless of what the group decides or where other's skills lie, Jason Felix is going to insist on exploring more.
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Search: [roll2]
Hide: [roll3]
Move Silently: [roll4]

Minor Prime: Assuming no one else wants to make the map, thats what this roll is for. Not sure what bonuses/penalties I would get or what I should roll.

Minor Second: Should someone else wish to make the map, Jason will gather sticks and stones he feels will be fashionable into either useful tools or make-shift weapons.
Spot: [roll5]
Listen: [roll6]
Search: [roll7]
Craft (weaponsmitthing): take 10, result 20
Craft (tools): take 10, result 20
Craft (carpentry): take 10, result 20

Johel
2016-10-09, 06:58 AM
As the morning rose and Severina hadn't returned, Doral found himself more and more worried.
A part of him had already accepted that the she-orc had departed and would never come back. She might have gone mad or had been devored by... whatever those shadows were the day before. But that part hadn't yet been accepted by the rest of the dwarf. He would keep some hope and search for her.

Doral :
The plan sounds good. Water and food as priority, then.

Through my years of services, I learned to do a bit of everything but I'm out of my depths here in the wild. So I guess my only skills are my arms and my wits. The former, I can use to carry whatever we need. The later... well, it really depends but I guess it can help avoiding us doing something stupid.
I'm available but, if nobody needs me, I guess I'll keep collecting more dry wood, improving our shelter and maintaining a big, smoky fire, if only to make a signal for any of you to find your way back.

I suggest we also discuss two other points. Namely our missing companions and finding civilization.

Regarding Lady Severina, it can be more complicated, as I do not know whether she left of her own will or if she was caught by some beast. In either cases, I doubt we will find her, whether because she's dead or because she doesn't want to be found. This is sad but true and I cannot ask of any of you to risk your life on a fool's errand.
As we established yesterday, Sir Felix's brother might not be around here. But then, he also might be. While we did the smart, reasonable thing last night, we cannot shy away from finding out now. The lad sounded like an intellectual type so if he is around here, he cannot be that far.
Sir Felix, can you describe us the lad, in case we find him ? And what's his name, too ?

Now, whether we find them or not, once we got our supplies, we will have to start walking toward civilization... which we don't know where it might be. Unless we find a road or similar clue, I guess our best bet is to get to the highest spot possible and to look around. Even some smoke rising from the forest might be good news if we locate it right and are careful about it.
Finally... how far do we explore ?

ACExtravaganza
2016-10-09, 01:40 PM
I had two brothers with me, actually. Jethro and Martin. Jethro is around my height, built like a house, has blue eyes and dirty blond hair, and should have no problem handling himself in a situation like this. Jethro was training to be an officer in the Azure military. The brother I'm concerned about is Martin. A few inches shorter than me, scrawny, green eyes like mine and dirty blond hair like Jethro. He's an Artisan Guild wizard, just accepted in last month. Without this spellbook ... he.... can't......

While describing his younger brother, Jason pulled out his spell book and began flipping through it. That was when Jason realized the book had somehow been made...

Blank. My brother's spellbook is blank. How could- the mist. That's the only explanation. The only thing out of the ordinary that could have done something like this. Hopefully Martin and Jethro are together, wherever they are, but if you see either of them out there, bring them back to camp.

I think we should explore around a mile radius from camp. If we fail to find anything hinting at civilization, we'll expand to a two mile radius, then three, and so on. Surely we can't be that far from civilization that this takes much more than a week.

planswalker
2016-10-09, 11:09 PM
"As it turns out, I've made it a hobby to pick up all sorts of skills that would be useful to an aspiring adventurer. I have the skills necessary to survive out here on my own indefinitely. The berries I ate yesterday don't seem to have had any lasting repercussions so we have about two days' worth of food available. I'll definitely keep at it again today to see if I can find a water source.

I don't feel any immediate rush to find civilization personally, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for such. If you're exploring to the north, friend, I'll take the north-east."

major action: scout the surrounding area north-east of the camp
taking 10 on hide and move silently for 21 and 19 respectively
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

minor action: look for a possible water source or means to create one
[roll3]

crowe
2016-10-10, 04:43 PM
Thonir did not eat that night. He spent most of it worried about his mother, and it was the strange to sleep above ground. No giant birds came to pluck him from the ground, and there were a million stars lighting the night. He was no expert, but they looked somehow different and yet, their wonder somehow gave him hope. Seeing the halfling suffered no ill effects from the berries, he eats those he saved for breakfast.

To Dun Junn:
I thank you, they are tasty.

To the Group
I...am Thonir, son of Burri. My father was a great warrior, who died the good death in battle during a raid against the greenbloods. My family has had many great warriors, many great warriors who have died. So many have died, that there was no one to look after my mother and I. We, are wards of the clan, and move from family to family to help where needed. I have picked up many skills, though I am far from an expert in any. I can work wood, and stone. I have gone up above to scavenge and hunt, as do those of low station, and my father trained me well in the art of the axe before he passed. It seems reasonable to look for food and water first, as be discussed. Certainly the berries should be plundered, they are both tasty and filling. I agree we should search the area, though I think we should do so in pairs, both for safety, and in case these damnable mists claim another of us, we have an explanation of what transpired from the survivor.Also, we must bury the drowned one, it is not right to leave him to the crows, and he will attract predators. We have a decent shelter here, and an ample supply of wood, with the plateau serving as a decent rally point.

ACExtravaganza
2016-10-10, 08:40 PM
Smiling kindly down at Thorin, in a friendly tone While I understand the sentiment of working in pairs, given that there are only four of us I feel it will cost us time we don't have. It is a far better idea for us to act where our skills are most suited and necessary than limit what we can accomplish. This way, we can cover as much ground as possible while continuing to provide for our most basic needs.

If it will make you feel better, we can take some stones to mark the trees as we go, a little extra help to guide us on our way through this forest.

Johel
2016-10-11, 08:26 PM
Major action : Explore
??? : [roll0]
No idea what skill or ability to use on that one

Minor action : look for Severina, Jethro and Martin
Spot : [roll1]
Listen : [roll2]

crowe
2016-10-11, 10:56 PM
Major action: Explore two hexes to the south, foraging and looking for water

Minor action: Bury the dead halfling

Rizban
2016-10-15, 11:10 PM
Dunn Junn explores to the northeast (Hex 1,1), keeping an eye out for any useful sources of potable water. He munches on the berries he collected yesterday. Though they sate his hunger, they aren't the most palatable, and Dunn finds himself starting to crave other foods.

Though Dunn doesn't find anything particularly interesting at first, he does notice some more deer tracks. Stopping to look at them, he it suddenly occurs to him that they are in some fairly wet mud with the faintest trickle of water flowing through them. Tracking through the mud in the direction he thinks to be upstream, Dunn finds a small puddle of very muddy water about two inches deep and about a foot across. While not a true spring, he has found a seep. With a bit of work, it could be made into a serviceable water source.

1 days of Trail Rations, 2 days of “Huckleberries”
Thonir Kuldurin eats the berries Dunn gave him before he starts off his day's work by burying the nameless dead halfling.

He explores a few miles to the south (Hexes -1,0 ; -2,0), finding only more light forest before beginning to despair of ever finding a proper mountain and civilization. Thonir starts to return to camp empty handed when he startles a deer that immediately bounds off into the woods. The angry growl of a hunting cat deprived of its meal echoes in the woods, hastening Thonir's steps...

None
Jason Felix explores to the north (Hex 1,0). He discovers more lightly forested areas, though the trees seem thinner in this direction. Jason notices nothing of particular noteworthiness in this area, though he does see some very nice larger hardwood trees in the area that would be excellent for making good quality lumber.

In the distance, he thinks he can see the trees thinning even more, but he returns to base camp without exploring much further so that he can spend some time working on a map of the area.

Jason has consumed his trail rations and has no other food on his person. Unless Dunn shares his berries, Jason will go hungry.

Doral explores to the southeast (Hex 0,1). The forest seems to go on forever. He eventually gives up and returns, though he does report seeing more bushes that he thinks are the same kind as the edible ones Dunn found the previous day. He isn't entirely sure though, so he only brings back a small branch with a few leaves and 3 or 4 berries to show.

He sees no obvious signs of humanoid activity in the area. He does not believe that the missing people could have possibly this direction... With almost all directions searched and no signs visible, the search is beginning to seem more meaningless.

Having eaten his trail rations the day before, Doral goes hungry, unless Dunn shares some of his berries left from the day before.

End Round 2

The day moves on into evening.

You have enough firewood gathered from yesterday to last you though the night and just enough food to feed everyone, assuming Dunn shares what berries he has remaining.

Round 3 will begin with the morning.

Johel
2016-10-16, 09:11 AM
Covered in dust and with a fair amount of small leaves in his hairy beard, Doral crashed near the fire camp, getting out of his backpack the branch and berries he had collected has samples.

Doral :
The search seems to have been in vain. The forest stretches as far as me eyes could see and I ain't recalling no high ground, landmark or other things we might use to guide us. No sign of your brothers, either. I got these, though...

He passed the berries and the branch around.

Doral :
Are those the same Dunn and Thonir ate ? If yes, then we got ourselves a small supply, provided no animal eat them by then.

planswalker
2016-10-16, 12:04 PM
I found a possible source of water for tomorrow. Someone will need to come with me so we can turn the seep I found into a viable water source." He'll also pass around the berries once more.

Rizban
2016-10-16, 09:01 PM
The last of the berries Dunn picked are consumed, but it will require a Survival or Knowledge (nature) check to accurately identify the berries Doral has picked.

crowe
2016-10-17, 08:32 PM
Thonir examines the berries

Survival= [roll0]

I too, found little but woods myself, but I did see a deer, and hear the yowl of a wildcat, there are game in these woods, and we should be able to hunt.

Rizban
2016-10-17, 08:53 PM
The berries are indeed the same species.

ACExtravaganza
2016-10-19, 03:49 PM
At least now we know we have preditors to contend with. Jason says while rubbing his chin. The forrest seemed to be thinning to the north, if we're going to find any signs of civilization I think heading north is our best bet. As for the seep, I can certainly help build something to let us use it safely. One of us should probably collect enough of these berries to feed everyone for one more day tomorrow while the rest head north and see what they can find. Before we head out, I should probably try and make some basic tools and weapons for us to use. If anyone wants to help with that before we break, it would be appreciated.

Jason pauses for the briefest moment, then lets out a heavy sigh.

I did notice some hardwood trees we could use for building a more permanent residence should we find no signs of civilization tomorrow. A lean-to isn't much defense against predation, and if we hope to survive till someone finds us or we find someone, we will most likely require something a bit more secure.

Major: Make Seep Potable
Survival: [roll0]
Craft (masonry): take 10, result 20
Craft (Ornamentation): take 10, result 20
Knowledge (Arch & Eng): take 10, result 18

Minor: Create tools and weapons
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]
Search: [roll3]
Craft (weaponsmitthing): take 10, result 20
Craft (tools): take 10, result 20
Craft (masonry): take 10, result 20
Craft (Ornamentation): take 10, result 20

Johel
2016-10-20, 02:48 AM
Doral :
The plan sounds good.

Fresh water seems the priority to me: we can all afford to go hungry a day or two if needed, some more than others. And as long as we stand together with a fire, natural predators shouldn’t bother us too much. As for whatever was creeping in the mist… well, I don’t think a makeshift shelter will stop it.
We start at dawn, as soon as enough light allows for it.

You can spend tomorrow making sure the seep is drinkable and spend the rest of the day making whatever tools you want if you have time.

I suggest me and Thonir spend the day collecting berries, firewood and lumber, hauling it here. Now that we know where all of this is, it's just a work of pure strength, with very little skill needed.

As for Dunn Junn, who seems to be the more at ease of us out there, I suggest that he escorts you to the seep and then that he goes exploring further North until the sun reach zenith, then walk back. If half a day of walking doesn’t find any sign of civilization or at least the end of the forest, we will try another direction.

Construction of a shelter can wait one more night. And more so if building it will be made easier with the appropriate materials already collected and on site. The tools might also help to ease and speed our work then. Also, if we are lucky, Dunn Junn will find something that will make building a shelter useless.

MAJOR ACTION :
Aid Another : collecting berries, lumber and firewood [roll0]

ACExtravaganza
2016-10-20, 03:16 AM
With a small laugh under his breath, Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I meant if we find no signs of civilization tomorrow, we work towards it on the next day. I would rather you two gather food for a day and explore north yourselves with Dunn helping me at the seep, but I can't tell you what to do. Also, I planned on making a few tools in the morning before heading to the seep to make the work easier.

Just know; I will not spend day after next building if I do not feel we have not adequately explored the north. I will not waste my skills on a cabin when civilization may be a few miles to our north.

planswalker
2016-10-20, 11:33 AM
In the morning, Dunn will head out with Jason and get that seep shaped up into a viable water source. While a bit time consuming, the actual technique behind this is not difficult and it's something Dunn had practiced many times back home. This task should not prove difficult. After getting the seep fitted up to be a viable water source, Dunn will get a drink and do a quick scouting of the area beyond. Not having the time for stealth, Dunn will simple hike through the area at a quick pace to see if there are any major landmarks. This will at least tell them whether a more thorough exploration is needed.

major: get that seep fixed up!

taking 10 on survival for a 16 total.

minor: do a quick pass-through of 2,2 to get a lay of the land

[roll0]
[roll1]

crowe
2016-10-22, 12:26 AM
The plan is sound, Doral and I will collect what we can while you two work the seep. Perhaps we can hunt a bit as well.

Major Action collect firewood lumber and food
Survival [roll0]
Search [roll1]
Spot [roll2]

Minor action hunt
Survival [roll3]