PDA

View Full Version : Endless Thread

Kastor
2016-09-28, 02:47 PM
I've recently gotten really into the Endless Series- Dungeon of the Endless, Endless Legend, and Endless Space (though I dont own that one yet). I've especially gotten interested in the lore, only to find that its very hidden. There is a lot to infer, but little outright confirmed, much to my chagrin.

What are some bits of Endless lore that you've picked up on?

GungHo
2016-09-29, 07:52 AM
I've recently gotten really into the Endless Series- Dungeon of the Endless, Endless Legend, and Endless Space (though I dont own that one yet). I've especially gotten interested in the lore, only to find that its very hidden. There is a lot to infer, but little outright confirmed, much to my chagrin.

What are some bits of Endless lore that you've picked up on?

Dust is/are nanomachines and it/they become(s) more powerful in mass quantities. It was used for everything from promoting infrastructure (roads, bridges) into the internet of things to storing the consciousness of the Endless. The Factions have no real idea what Dust is until they start approaching apotheosis, and even then, they don't fully understand until the final technologies.

The factions from Endless Legend are essentially descendants of the Dungeon crash survivors. The Dungeon crash happened on Auriga. Auriga became sentient from the amount of Dust that collected there. The apparent magic and magical fauna aren't really magical... it's what Dust allows you to do when it's saturated a planet from crust to core. It's all very Clarke's Laws.

Grif
2016-09-29, 12:46 PM
Dust is/are nanomachines and it/they become(s) more powerful in mass quantities. It was used for everything from promoting infrastructure (roads, bridges) into the internet of things to storing the consciousness of the Endless. The Factions have no real idea what Dust is until they start approaching apotheosis, and even then, they don't fully understand until the final technologies.

The factions from Endless Legend are essentially descendants of the Dungeon crash survivors. The Dungeon crash happened on Auriga. Auriga became sentient from the amount of Dust that collected there. The apparent magic and magical fauna aren't really magical... it's what Dust allows you to do when it's saturated a planet from crust to core. It's all very Clarke's Laws.

I also believe during the timeline of both Dungeons and Legends, the larger universe that was Endless Space continued to tick on. There's a chance the planet Auriga can be found in a standard game. Also Earth is around.

It's just a shame that while very well mechanically executed, Endless Space proved to be a bore and the game suffering from a worse-than-usual AI opponent that will inevitably crumble at the mid-game if you're competent enough. (This afflicts Endless Legends as well).

Eldan
2016-09-29, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I played three or four games of it and then went back to Galactic Civilizations, even when I felt quite saturated with that. I need to find a new Space 4X.

Flickerdart
2016-09-29, 02:23 PM
Yeah, Endless Space felt very...generic, I want to say? Not really shallow, but I go to add a Hero, and he's from this random alien race and seems to be really cool in his little paragraph...but there's no more info on the hero or his race beyond the paragraph, so he ends up being a portrait parked on a planet somewhere. It feels like everything outside of gameplay was outsourced to a single intern, and he did the minimum work possible. There are ancient ruins on moons, but these ancient people never come up again. There are all kinds of planets, but every race wants only one kind of planet and learns the same tech to terraform them the same way.

GungHo
2016-10-05, 07:57 AM
There will be a sequel to Endless Space. Hopefully, Amplitude will be able to capitalize on the promise of what they had previously and have a little deeper of a storyline. Not trying to apologize for them or anything, but I think it's important to note that Endless Space was their first game and they released it as an independent studio. That it wasn't a turd and had a very evocative atmosphere, even if it lacked AI and story development depth, is an accomplishment in and of itself. They clearly learned from their experiences if you compare Endless Space with Endless Legend. Hopefully Sega won't force them to put out unfinished systems.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2016-10-05, 08:46 AM
Aye, Endless Space felt to me like fantastic world-building, but boring gameplay. I wanted to explore more about the races, the backstory, I wanted to discover more Endless artifacts. But right off the get-go, I was able to hire heroes of other races, and it kinda killed the mood, and then it just sorta dragged on and eclipsed the fantastic lore.