PDA

View Full Version : Can Druid mimic animal sounds?

moogloogle
2016-09-28, 07:13 PM
No Google, I did not ask if a druid can speak while wildshaped. I already know that one is a no, unless she has a fancy feat.

What I mean is, I am a druid raised by druids and their consequential animal companions of a varied nature. Could my druid not mimic animal sounds pretty effectively? If so, what would she roll? Should I attempt to make those noises IRL in an attempt to amuse the GM, thus aiding my success?

That last one is a trick question. Its an obvious yes.

Extra info: the DM is a fellow fan of the Iron Druid Chronicles, so we home brewed linguistics as a class skill for me. We thought it was very strange that it was "trained only."

I can't fault the crit fail last night in any case. I was attempting to mimic a tropical parrot, and I am from a deciduous forest. In the future, it could be very handy to mimic some critters.

Necroticplague
2016-09-28, 07:21 PM
No Google, I did not ask if a druid can speak while wildshaped. I already know that one is a no, unless she has a fancy feat.

What I mean is, I am a druid raised by druids and their consequential animal companions of a varied nature. Could my druid not mimic animal sounds pretty effectively? If so, what would she roll? Should I attempt to make those noises IRL in an attempt to amuse the GM, thus aiding my success?.

Assuming they invested the right resources into it, depends on why you're making the noise*, yes.

*For 'convincing that type of animal to do something you want', use Handle Animal. For delivering a message in secret or fooling someone into thinking that kind of animal is around, use Bluff.

moogloogle
2016-09-28, 09:49 PM
*facepalm* I completely forgot bluff was a thing. That makes perfect sense.

Yeah, I was trying to trick a shopkeeper into coming out of hiding because his pet parrot came back.

Falcii
2016-09-28, 10:11 PM
First of all, Iron Druid is fantastic, the morrigan is bae, all that good fun stuff.

As for how to do it, I'd either ask you to make a bluff check or if you wanted to get fancy, a perform: animal calls check. If I felt like really being awful I'd even make multiple kinds of animal call checks, either for different ecosystems or for different animal types (avian, quadrupedal mammal, reptilian and so on) but I'd only do that to you if you pulled some severe shenanigans involving suffusing your aura with cold iron but leaving holes for your magic....

daremetoidareyo
2016-09-28, 10:22 PM
Assuming they invested the right resources into it, depends on why you're making the noise*, yes.

*For 'convincing that type of animal to do something you want', use Handle Animal. For delivering a message in secret or fooling someone into thinking that kind of animal is around, use Bluff.

This, my friend is mostly right.

OP, The skill that you want is survival!
In the Arms and equipment guide p.21, there is the animal call:
Animal Call: Crafted out of bone, metal, or wood, these special whistles are designed to mimic a specific animal voice - usually game animals and birds. An animal call provides a +1 circumstance bonus on wilderness lore survival checks when hunting for food. Calls exist only for creatures that are type "animal."

Please note that you can get a fish animal call whistle and combine those circumstance bonuses with fishing tackle from the same book.

See my survival guide in my sig.

Troacctid
2016-09-29, 12:22 AM
And if you happen to be a kenku, you can do it with no check as a racial feature.