PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help me create an item

IndominusMex
2016-09-28, 08:40 PM
I recently took a party on a game of mine and each of them got pretty big rewards from it. These items are customized and i managed to cook up all but one of the items. This character is essentially Link from the LoZ games (which one specifically i have no idea). When i asked him for an idea he gave me the name of an item from one of the games, the Fierce Deity Mask. Curious as to why it was called that, i searched the web for it and found only a short page that said it made him extremely powerful but was quite taxing.

My question is, can you guys help me out with finding an idea for this item? I am really stumped and i need help.

P.S. This Link is basically pure fighter (swords obviously)

Ghost Nappa
2016-09-28, 09:55 PM
In Majora's Mask, Link (the Hero of Time - the same one from Ocarina of Time) is biologically a 10 or 11 year old child. Donning the Fierce Deity Mask increases him to above the size we see him as an adult in Ocarina of Time. If you assume that a child's height is about roughly to a Small creature, and an adult is Medium, it would imply the Mask possesses the power to either enlarge a creature, or bring it to its maximum potential.

Just a note: the Fierce Deity Mask was only capable of being wielded against the five major bosses, and it was only obtainable right before fighting the final boss. It is essentially an 11th hour superpower.

So my suggestion is to essentially make it have multiple effects, with more powerful effects and buffs being more detrimental. This way it encourages use of it at the end of a major fight or the day, but he isn't inclined to use it 24/7. It should be a finisher or emergency item to not overshadow the rest of the party.

Ideas:

Let the mask have a set of charges that regenerate daily like other legendary items/artifacts.
Let the "full combat prowess nova" option drain 1 charge per round.
Simply donning the mask grants its bearer the benefit of the enlarge effect of the enlarge spell.
Will donning the mask, the wearer can cast the Eldritch Blast cantrip (Sword Beams) but uses either Strength or Dexterity instead of Charisma.
There needs to be an disincentive to not wear the mask constantly. Consider penalizing constant use with levels of exhaustion upon removing the mask.
The mask should automatically remove itself if it has zero charges and it does nothing while it has no charges.

you might also want to watch some Hyrule Warriors gameplay of Young Link to get some ideas.

Dungeon-noob
2016-10-03, 11:12 AM
Ideas:

Let the mask have a set of charges that regenerate daily like other legendary items/artifacts.
Simply donning the mask grants its bearer the benefit of the enlarge effect of the enlarge spell.
Will donning the mask, the wearer can cast the Eldritch Blast cantrip (Sword Beams) but uses either Strength or Dexterity instead of Charisma.
There needs to be an disincentive to not wear the mask constantly. Consider penalizing constant use with levels of exhaustion upon removing the mask.
The mask should automatically remove itself if it has zero charges and it does nothing while it has no charges.

That looks very accurate, if a bit complicated. I'd say drop the sword beams, they don't belong with the mask anyway and make it way more complicated. Otherwise, i pretty much agree.

Also, Nappa, how's your studio work going now that you've been ressurrected by the dragon balls?:smallcool:

Contrast
2016-10-03, 11:43 AM
That looks very accurate, if a bit complicated. I'd say drop the sword beams, they don't belong with the mask anyway and make it way more complicated. Otherwise, i pretty much agree.

When you slashed the sword while wearing the mask it sent out an energy disc/wave which flew forward and hit the enemy. So it certainly seems in theme with me.

That said, the Fierce Deity Mask was an end game item you got by trading in all the other masks you got through the game (which all had their own powers and abilities, some major, some not).

For example, if you want something simpler there was the Giants Mask which does what it says on the tin and makes Link giant. You could maybe turn this into a similar thing whereby this is the first of a series of masks some of which given minor situational benefits (without requiring attunement) and some more major which do, with the Fierce Deity Mask equivilent being the end goal and requiring the other masks to trade in.

It may be helpful if you could give us an example of what other players got so we know what sort of power level we're looking at.

Edit - if your player is not wedded to the mask idea, other items which reoccur in the Zelda games are the Lens of Truth (a magnifying glass which allows you to see through illusions), the Master Sword (generic magic sword), the Mirror Shield (reflective shield). Bottles are also precious items in Zelda games as they are limited in supply and can be filled with potions or other health restorers so maybe a magic bottle filled with a rejuvinating milk/soup/potion that buffs somehow and refills over time (i.e. x uses per day and regains x uses on a long rest or whatever). It also relatively common for Link to get different coloured armour/clothes which grant different benefits (i.e. blue = breathe underwater, red = fire resistence) so maybe some armour which he can reset on a short or long rest between a few different options to provided different benefits/immunities, changing colour when it does so.

Pfhagthyeh
2016-10-08, 06:57 AM
Ideas:

I agree with this, and the level of exhaustion is a good deterrent from abusing the mask. However, I think it'd probably be better if the mask required charges to enlarge the wielder or something, or perhaps only lasted for a few rounds before wearing off, to make it more like a last resort power-up.