PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the Haunted One feature?

LudicSavant
2016-09-29, 03:22 AM
The Heart of Darkness feature for the Haunted One background (http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/CoS_Character_Options.pdf) basically seems to amount to "though you're creepy, commoners randomly help you I guess?" What exactly is the thematic rationale for this effect supposed to be? Or, if it does leave something to be desired thematically, what are some ideas for alternative homebrewed features for a haunted character?

CNagy
2016-09-29, 03:37 AM
The Haunted One is basically a war veteran, like a guy who went off to WW2 and when he came back you could see in his eyes that he faced some horrific things. You treat him with kid gloves and generally try to be helpful to his needs because while there may be something frightening about his demeanor he is, overall, a sympathetic figure.

LudicSavant
2016-09-29, 03:52 AM
The Haunted One is basically a war veteran, like a guy who went off to WW2 and when he came back you could see in his eyes that he faced some horrific things. You treat him with kid gloves and generally try to be helpful to his needs because while there may be something frightening about his demeanor he is, overall, a sympathetic figure.

That doesn't quite feel right. Beyond just the issue of whether it fits the theme established by the archetypal Gothic characters it's supposed to represent, it doesn't really explain why random commoners are taking up arms for you. Kid gloves doesn't make you head into battle. (Also, the "facing an enemy alone" thing seems like a lackluster feature in the first place, given that your typical PC is going to be in a party)

lunaticfringe
2016-09-29, 04:21 AM
Haunted Ones are monster hunters. "Hey stupid dirt farmers, it's time to stop hiding in your homes and fight Strahd!" Or at least pitchfork & torch all the additional help can snap his fingers & Summon while my party fights him. Or whatever evil demon king Tyrant is oppressing people. Monsters/Evil Spellcasters rule tiny serfdoms, it's a trope

It's a Plot Device/Deus Ex Machina like all the Background Features. OMG we need a Ship, good thing I'm a Sailor. OMG we have no food good thing im an outlander. Who hired the Assassin? I know I'll ask my criminal contact. Blah blah blah etc, etc, etc.

This broke your Suspension of Disbelief, bound to happen occasionally.

LordVonDerp
2016-09-29, 07:09 AM

Yeah, I mean the background even has a feature called "Heart of Darkness", how much more obvious can it be?

NecroDancer
2016-09-29, 07:16 AM
I think the name of the feature should be changed to "eyes of the hunter"

Naanomi
2016-09-29, 07:42 AM
Mechanically it is just a different interpretation of the Pirate ability right?

LudicSavant
2016-09-29, 08:51 AM
Mechanically it is just a different interpretation of the Pirate ability right?

Not really. Bad Reputation basically means the pirate gets to do mean-spirited things without getting reported to the authorities, while Heart of Darkness makes commoners fight for you in situations you should never be in (e.g. not having a party).

Joe the Rat
2016-09-29, 09:37 AM
I think the name of the feature should be changed to "eyes of the hunter"

And give up the Joseph Conrad reference? The horror.

CursedRhubarb
2016-09-29, 09:53 AM
It's terrible but, if you want a good example for a visual, the picture of the kid from Aleppo where he's in complete shock after rescue, that's pretty much what people see you as with the background.

Trum4n1208
2016-09-29, 10:27 AM
I pictured it as pretty similar to the Folk Hero feature, but with more of a grim feeling to it. People will give you what aid they can, up to taking up arms if need be. I assume that this isn't just because of your creepy/grim/brooding/sad demeanor, but also because you probably intimidate the average person to some degree, be you good or evil. I don't really concentrate on the helping you fight aspect and more on the aid aspect of the feature.

mephnick
2016-09-29, 02:47 PM
Man, people need to play the Witcher. People fear Geralt, but generally help him because they know he hunts worse things. People rarely trust him, but recognize his skill in dealing with things they can't' so they aid him anyway. People are a lot more confident with a monster hunter around, even to the piint of joining into a hunt.

MasterMercury
2016-09-29, 09:30 PM
I kind of think of it as a twilight vampire kind of thing. People know there's something off about you, maybe even a little scary, but they want to know what it is and will do a lot of things to finds out. (Particularly effective on the opposite gender)

Zalabim
2016-09-30, 03:54 AM
It means when you run into someone's house and call out, "I need your charcoal, salt, and a fire poker" they help you instead of treating you like a crazy person. They know from looking at you that some serious **** is going down rather than you're just nuts, or a typical RPG protagonist who loots every house. They may also know that you're nuts, but that's beside the point.