PDA

View Full Version : Refluffing Marshal (Cohort)

snailgosh
2016-09-29, 03:49 AM
Hello fellow playgrounders.

My DM is contemplating letting me choose the Leadership feat so I proposed a Marshal build to him.
While he pretty much approved of the build as is, he voiced his concern, the commandeering and authorative nature of the Marshal class would conflict with the way a DMPC cohort ought to be played and would ultimately lead to in-party conflict.

My DM is used to class fluff and mechanics being intertwined and big on playing the fluff out.
While hesitant to change the fluff-as-written, he is willing to compromise, since he really likes my proposed build.

So how can we change the way the Marshal inspires his allies to make my DMs concern a non-issue, but without straying too far from the core concept?

ekarney
2016-09-29, 04:18 AM
You could fluff it into more military bard-esque way, like how hornsmen were used for morale in the middle ages.
He could be a former drill sergeant or tactician, so his orders seem more like advice.
He could be a charismatic individual who wants to see his friend succeed.

weckar
2016-09-29, 05:38 AM
A banner-carrier for the group could provide identical mechanical benefits while being an inherently second-fiddle player.

snailgosh
2016-09-29, 07:14 AM
Thank you for your input so far. I will forward the ideas.
I'm especially fond of the banner-carrier. Good thinking.