PDA

View Full Version : Price check on aisle gonzo?

zyggythorn
2016-09-29, 05:33 AM
So to clarify, I've got a nifty little dungeon planned out for my group. It's the Sharknado dungeon.

To make it more... Appropriate, I've come up with the following combo of magics to enable flying sharks. (Without straight up fly)

Belt of the Sky Sea
Air Breathing (permanent)
Endure Elements (cold)
Able to make swim checks for flight. If a the creature has a swim speed, it may be used as a fly speed or a swim speed, whichever is more appropriate.
+2 Str, +2 Dex

I figure the price of it should be around 10k gp, but wanted the Playground's opinion of it before I solidified it as loot.

Any other similar suggestions are greatly appreciated.

weckar
2016-09-29, 05:35 AM
I think you are severely understating the value of this item. Considering similar items, I think 25000GP would be a better ball-park estimate.

What maneauverability does it grant for flight anyway?

zyggythorn
2016-09-29, 05:43 AM
I think you are severely understating the value of this item. Considering similar items, I think 25000GP would be a better ball-park estimate.

What maneauverability does it grant for flight anyway?

Fair point on the price.

Maneuverability would be based on the swim check made, with a base DC of 15 for 1/2 of land speed at poor.
For every 5 the DC is beat by, up the maneuverability by one step.
If the creature has a swim speed, up the maneuverability by one step.
For every 5 the 'perfect' maneuverability DC is beat by, increase the fly speed by 5ft, up to the creature's normal land speed or swim speed, whichever is higher.

Vizzerdrix
2016-09-29, 06:51 AM
Sounds like it would make a better template.

Fizban
2016-09-29, 07:37 AM
Sharks are actually terrible in a fight where the PCs aren't suffering underwater penalties, so sadly spending a ton of money or template CR getting them airborn is a waste (I've tried it before myself).

That said, I'd start with the Beruto of the Carp Dragon from Dragon Magic. For only 2,200gp it lets you breathe water and swim, at the cost of making you not breathe air while you're wearing it. Invert the effects and you have an item that lets a fish breathe air and presumably converts their fins to feet while worn.

Constant flight on the other hand is expensive for a reason. Even if it requires a swim speed, those are hardly difficult to gain, see the Beruto I just mentioned. I'd give at most a 30% discount for such a drawback (which while easy to circumvent is still an actual drawback, unlike most mentions of that pricing suggestion). So that gets you to around 35k, plus around 4k*1.5 for the Beruto and Endure Elements effects (Endure Elements no longer specifies hot or cold), total 41k without any stat bonuses.

If what you want is a spectacular setpiece where sharks fly, best to simply make the location supply the magic. Even if can't just fiat it for some reason there's already a printed option: Stronghold Builder's Guidebook includes the Chamber of Airy Water enhancement. Cover every room with that, fill the dungeon with water, and now everyone can breathe and swim around be they man or shark (except the adventurers are wearing armor and probably have no ranks in swim).

zyggythorn
2016-09-29, 09:28 AM
Sharks are actually terrible in a fight where the PCs aren't suffering underwater penalties, so sadly spending a ton of money or template CR getting them airborn is a waste (I've tried it before myself).

Which is why I'm also adding a few other templates to the sharks (like air elemental, or mist paraelemental, mage bred, arctic, dire, and horrid, just to name a few), and having the sharks be a distraction from the true boss of the dungeon. An Aboleth. Which can and will take advantage of 3d movement, because PC's don't think of that- or atleast my group doesn't.

Also noted on the stronghold building guide, that's one book that I don't have access to.

Fizban
2016-09-29, 10:19 AM
Eh, all you need to know for the effect is that it makes the water all bubbly and lets any air/water breather both breathe and swim in it, because magic (there's a save to resist if you want to drown for some reason). Covering an entire dungeon would be expensive but not impossibly so as long as it's a dungeon and not an entire cave system-at that point you'd want to declare it a natural phenomenon or something.

Braininthejar2
2016-10-01, 09:24 AM
Which is why I'm also adding a few other templates to the sharks (like air elemental, or mist paraelemental,

Wouldn't that alone give them flight speed?

Fizban
2016-10-01, 09:42 AM
Dunno about mist as I've never seen it, Air Element would give them flight but not air breathing. It comes with a hefty CR boost (any CR boost is hefty unless you've got dozens of hit dice), but the speed is what you'd want for an actual mobility advantage. Combined with the inverted Beruto it would do the basic job.

Telok
2016-10-01, 02:55 PM
Just slapping half-fiend/celestial on the sharks ought to do it. Then you just scale the sharks up by HD to get the appropriate threat.

Roog
2016-10-01, 11:25 PM
How about Half-Fey Sharks?

zyggythorn
2016-10-02, 10:55 AM
The general fix I arrived at was to refluff the PF avian template, and say that this dungeon is filled with Airy Water.