PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed How many wings can we get?

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-29, 06:34 AM
Specifically, how many functional wings can a character have at once, without using templates, items, or shapeshifting? Anything from first-party 3.5 books or DragMag, 20 levels. This is just for funsies, so whether the build is otherwise viable doesn't matter.

Race: Dragonborn (Wings) - adds a pair of wings

Classes:
Warlock 5/Enlightened Spirit 3 - Celestial Flight invocation adds a pair of magical wings
Dragonfire Adept 6 - Draconic Flight invocation adds a pair of magical wings
Totemist 6 - see Incarnum

Feats:
Dragon Wings (1st) - adds a pair of wings
Aberration Blood (3rd)
Inhuman Vision (6th)
Starspawn (9th) - adds a pair of wings
Improved Dragon Wings (12th) - because we might as well
(15th) - open
Open Greater Chakra (Waist) (18th) - see Incarnum

Incarnum:
Manticore Belt bound to Waist chakra - adds a pair of magical wings
Pegasus Cloak or Dragon Mantle bound to Totem chakra - adds a pair of magical wings

All together that's three pairs of biological wings and four pairs of magical wings, for a total of 14 wings in all. Can we do better than that?

Necroticplague
2016-09-29, 07:11 AM
Chaos Roc Span soulmeld gives you two more magical wings, even if only shaped.

Darrin
2016-09-29, 07:25 AM
Can you take Dragonborn more than once? If so, then 100 GP per pair of wings.

DrMotives
2016-09-29, 07:44 AM
Thrall of Pazuzu gives you wings as a class feature. Although if you already have wings, it specifically doesn't make you grow a new set, but changes your old wings to black feathered ones. It might also add 10 to your existing flight speed, I'd have to check.
Otherwise, Red Bull gives you wings, and nothing in this list will approach the number of wings that a Cherubim has. So the real answer is "shapechange into a Cherubim"

Edit: Dragon Shaman & Favored Soul both give wings as class features as well, but a build with enough levels in ToP, DS, & FS to get 3 extra sets would take epic levels with a terrible build.

Start with a Sylph or similar fey as a the base race, either they have butterfly or dragonfly wings, either case that's 2 pairs before we start shenanigans. Or the Cherubim.

Kaje
2016-09-29, 07:47 AM
Can you take Dragonborn more than once? If so, then 100 GP per pair of wings.

Considering it's stupidly not a template... maybe? You'd have to wait until level 6 to do it the second time though, or else you'll lose the first pair.

Cerefel
2016-09-29, 08:32 AM
No pre-dragonborn race picked out? I nominate raptoran

ekarney
2016-09-29, 08:49 AM
Wu Jen have a spell that gives you flaming wings instead of arms.

One Step Two
2016-09-29, 08:52 AM
Greater visage of the Deity from Spell Compendium, gains half-alignment flavored outsider template with wings.

WeaselGuy
2016-09-29, 10:51 AM
Tieflings and Aasimar qualify for Infernal/Celestial Heritage (respectively) and then Outsider Wings, giving them a pair. Don't think it will fit in to any Dragonborn build though.

Deophaun
2016-09-29, 11:15 AM
How about grafts? Feathered wings and membranous wings in the FF.

Name1
2016-09-29, 01:25 PM
...I think if you can get a Chichimec (I think it was called?... The abomination with wings) to voluntarily lower it's Immunity to Form-Altering attacks, you could PAO it into a living creature to "True Mind Switch" into, which gives you... I think 8 wing attacks?

Telonius
2016-09-29, 02:36 PM
Would Winged Boots (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bootsWinged) count?

EDIT: Favored Soul 17 gives wings. So does Geomancer 9.

EDIT2: I think I may have found a winner... if templates were allowed: the Swarm-Shifter template, from Libris Mortis. 1000 flying creatures to a swarm, so 2000 wings.

Âmesang
2016-09-29, 10:58 PM
My first thought was the hordling from DUNGEON Magazine #124, p.97; a 20 HD hordling can have ten abilities, which could conceivably be "functional wings" and nine applications of "additional arms" (converting its 11 claw attacks into 11 wing buffets, based on the Vulturewretch).

(Not a character, per se, but… it's got wings… a lot of 'em…)

ben-zayb
2016-09-29, 11:59 PM
EDIT2: I think I may have found a winner... if templates were allowed: the Swarm-Shifter template, from Libris Mortis. 1000 flying creatures to a swarm, so 2000 wings.If you are part of a hive mind, isn't it technically your character's wings? If so, just start with the H.I.V.E. modified to a Bronze Locust Swarm (BoED). Fine size means 10k units or 20k wings per swarm