PDA

View Full Version : "Cheapest" (i.e. racial HD + LA) SEAL race you can get? Nothing too weird, please...

Jon_Dahl
2016-09-29, 09:15 AM
SEAL = Sea Air Land. I want a race that can easily adventure underwater, on land and can fly.

Let's agree that members of this race have to be something very humanlike so that they can visit human cities without too much hassle and children won't throw rocks at them...

daremetoidareyo
2016-09-29, 09:19 AM
Amphibious raptoran? LA 0

Model him after a bufflehead duck, anhinga, murrelet or cormorant

shaikujin
2016-09-29, 09:26 AM
SEAL = Sea Air Land. I want a race that can easily adventure underwater, on land and can fly.

Let's agree that members of this race have to be something very humanlike so that they can visit human cities without too much hassle and children won't throw rocks at them...

Unseelie Fey Aquatic Human. 0 LA.

Unseelie Fey is from Dragon Compendium.
Gains fly speed equal to twice movement rate.

Aquatic variant races can be found on SRD:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#aquaticHumans.
Gains swim speed of 30 feet, and due to the Aquatic subtype, can breather underwater.
Note: Normally 0 LA, but if it's an aquatic campaign, the suggestd LA is +1.

Would that work for you?

Jon_Dahl
2016-09-29, 11:07 AM
Unseelie Fey Aquatic Human. 0 LA.

Unseelie Fey is from Dragon Compendium.
Gains fly speed equal to twice movement rate.

Aquatic variant races can be found on SRD:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#aquaticHumans.
Gains swim speed of 30 feet, and due to the Aquatic subtype, can breather underwater.
Note: Normally 0 LA, but if it's an aquatic campaign, the suggestd LA is +1.

Would that work for you?

That sounds fine, thank you.

Segev
2016-09-29, 11:18 AM
Doesn't the Aquatic subtype make you drown on land if you don't have an additional subtype (which I think is "amphibious")?

I was going to suggest applying the Necropolitan template, but it doesn't inherently grant flight. Lack of need to breathe due to being undead means you go underwater easily enough, though.

Vizzerdrix
2016-09-29, 11:29 AM
Human chaleleon, focusing on the aberrant feats, using the floating feat to adapt at need.

shaikujin
2016-09-29, 12:25 PM
Doesn't the Aquatic subtype make you drown on land if you don't have an additional subtype (which I think is "amphibious")?

I was going to suggest applying the Necropolitan template, but it doesn't inherently grant flight. Lack of need to breathe due to being undead means you go underwater easily enough, though.

Whoops, I forgot about that.
Yes, the LA 0 amphibious template needs to be added also to gain ability to breathe on land and underwater. Swim speed becomes half though. (Template is in Stormwrack)

If looking like an Orc is fine, then Water Orc has a swim speed as well and can breathe on land (but not underwater I think). So Unseelie Fey Amphibious Aquatic Human seems to be a better choice overall.

Flickerdart
2016-09-29, 12:33 PM
You can also go for a raptoran necropolitan, who does not need to breathe at all. A dragonborn (wings aspect) warforged is still a living construct, and so does not need to breathe either. They have no swim speeds, but they will never drown.