PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Deck of many things results

Ecliptic
2016-09-29, 12:29 PM
Just a funny anecdote. My group found a deck of many things and, of course, decided to pull cards. No one ended up with a truly horrible fate, but one person pulled a knight and ended up with a friendly level 4 fighter cohort. He then asked said fighter to pull a card and the fighter got a jester and proceeded to pull two new cards. He pulled a balance card and immediately became chaotic evil, then he pulled a moon and gained 4 wishes. His first wish was to be the ruler of a kingdom, and he vanished.

Now we have basically, entirely based on luck, created a BBEG for the future. Seriously can't plan stuff quite like this!

Anyone else have any funny anecdotes to share ? :O

Belgarath345
2016-09-30, 02:04 AM
Not sure that it's funny but a couple of weeks ago our group found a deck.
We are a six man group our cleric, rogue and ranger imidiately said no we ain't touching that s... our warblade was not present for the session but my sorcerer and our wizard player decided to risk it. Well our wizard pulled the void card and the card where you gain a powerful nemesis so the gm combined the 2 and imidiately the wizard vanished in a puff of smoke and brimstone and we later on find out that he is held captive by a powerfull devil.
Now my character is not exactly the nicest person due to a lot of in character stuff that's happened in the campaign, he's lost his soul, his trusted familiar died and he's been turned into an undead plus he's earned the enmity of Tiamat who's had him tortured several times. He's been teetering on the edge for a while now.
Now the only thing that's kept him somewhat sane is his trusted old staff, an in character thing - it's the only thing that's left of his old life and that still connects and reminds him of who he used to be.
Now 2 sessions before this one I finally had the staff enchanted with a plus 1 enhancement something thats been a goal of his in game for a while. And cue which card do I pull - yes you guessed it naturly the one where I lose all my magic items including my recently enchanted staff😝

The following session our warblade player joins and his character is a very low wisdom, impulsive type so when he hears that our wizard has vanished he imidiately reasons that if he can simply pull the same card that the wizard did he can help him/free him. So his character imidiately pulls from the deck and...gets the void card..so off he goes in a puff of smoke. Now we are two characters short and one character equipment less in the middle of what was supposed to be very close to the grand finale of the module we are playing😂

BWR
2016-09-30, 09:31 AM
I always bring this up when the DoMT is up for discussion, but whatever.
One of my old, mostly retired PCs got a DOMT and will offer family and close friends the option to draw from it when they become legally adult (and since he has three generations of descendants, there are now a lot of people who have drawn from it). Many/most of these people are stat'ed and played in at least one adventure. While some people would probably consider this a great way to kill off characters and campaigns before they start, we have had nothing but good experiences with them. The trick is to treat the Deck and its effects like plot hooks and adventure seeds rather than bland instant effects.

Pull the card that grants a keep? Now you have to play through how you get it.
Gain the services of a 4th level fighter? now you are introduced to several new NPCs and can roleplay how they become loyal to you

The Void is an excellent example of how to seed an adventure, and several characters have pulled it. The important thing is to make sure the effects differ slightly each time. One was trapped in Hell, another was trapped in a piece of jewelry.another was sent by a powerful spirit to the other side of the world and her family's prevented magic from finding her (so she had to make her way home on her own). One character pulled the Sun twice and then the Void and ended up in a mad god's dreams and had to fight her way out of several alternate realities gaining about 100 000 xp from watching and participating in someone's dreams.

Lost 10000 xp at 1st level? You either not get the next 10k xp coming your way or you can become a 0th level character. No Feats, skills, or class abilities. Now as the best student your martial school had seen in generations, you have to overcome the deep family shame of being absolutely useless at everything.

Draw the Talons, Ruin, Rogue, Flames and Eurayle?
Well, you set loose a demon your master had trapped and bring so much shame on yourself and family that despite being the nephew of the clan leader you are disowned and thrown out with only the clothes on your back and the burning need to find and slay this demon who in turn wants to torment you and curses you with weakness (this character ended up being one of my favorite characters in a long list of characters I like in this campaign).

In short, I love the DOMT and have had almost exclusively good (not necessarily fun) experiences with it.