PDA

View Full Version : True strike + concentration spell

Tanarii
2016-09-29, 07:49 PM
If you are concentrating on true strike, and you cast a concentration spell that involved an immediate attack roll (mordenkainen's sword, Ray of Enfeeblement, vampiric touch, witch bolt), does true strike apply? Does it go into effect before the new spell begins concentrating on the new spell for the non-attack part, or does it end immediately when you begin to cast the new spell?

Daishain
2016-09-29, 08:06 PM
In each case, the spell must be cast prior to there being anything to attack with. That would break conc before the attack is complete. So no, I don't think you can apply true strike to such.

That's my judgement, feel free to ask your DM. He/she may disagree.

Specter
2016-09-29, 10:41 PM
By RAW no, but True Strike is so lame that I would let this slide.

Daishain
2016-09-29, 11:18 PM
Yeah, there's that angle too. TS needs some extra love. Got to be careful what concessions are made though as free attack advantage is very powerful if there aren't drawbacks.

Personally I've considered removing the conc requirement and making it a bonus action to cast, in exchange for it being bumped up to first level spell status. That way it becomes a useable thing, but competes for resources.

Tanarii
2016-09-30, 09:04 AM
In each case, the spell must be cast prior to there being anything to attack with. That would break conc before the attack is complete. So no, I don't think you can apply true strike to such.

That's my judgement, feel free to ask your DM. He/she may disagree.I am the DM. And I'm inclined to agree with your RAW reading. But ...

Yeah, I probably will too. I have a player who's goal as a Diviner is to take every divination spell. And that means True Strike. I'm trying to work with them to make it useful without totally house-ruling it. A little bit of RAW bending for concentration spells that lead off with an immediate attack might be in order though. Maybe even Bigby's if they start with the Fist attack option.

lunaticfringe
2016-09-30, 09:24 AM
That minor concentration tweak seems like a bigger deal than just Homebrewing a crap spell

I'm going to fix a Cantrip by changing Spellcasting mechanics?

Segev
2016-09-30, 09:30 AM
Does true strike really need to require Concentration to be balanced? If not, just make it last until the end of the caster's next turn, no Concentration required. As a house rule.

lunaticfringe
2016-09-30, 09:45 AM
Does true strike really need to require Concentration to be balanced? If not, just make it last until the end of the caster's next turn, no Concentration required. As a house rule.

Indeed, it would still eat up action economy. Keep the Casting time at 1 action. Still Shenanigans exist.

Turn 1 Cast Mordenkainen’s Sword

Turn 2 Cast True Strike, Bonus Action Attack with Mordenkainen’s Sword.

SharkForce
2016-09-30, 05:03 PM
Indeed, it would still eat up action economy. Keep the Casting time at 1 action. Still Shenanigans exist.

Turn 1 Cast Mordenkainen’s Sword

Turn 2 Cast True Strike, Bonus Action Attack with Mordenkainen’s Sword.

you know what else you can do with a regular action to grant advantage on a single attack? the help action. true strike, even without a concentration requirement, is terrible.

lunaticfringe
2016-09-30, 05:14 PM
Yup, but that wasn't the point of the thread.

Segev
2016-09-30, 05:24 PM
My understanding of true strike is that it's usually meant to help in two situations:

1) You want to give yourself Advantage
2) You aren't in a position to perform a "help" action in combat (perhaps you don't have a weapon with appropriate range for where you are relative to the guy you want to help).

Specter
2016-09-30, 05:35 PM
The only situation where it's worth is when you absolutely must hit a spell attack in the next turn (like the ones OP described). But these are so rare that it's not even worth it.

Millstone85
2016-09-30, 05:40 PM
My understanding of true strike is that it's usually meant to help in two situations:

1) You want to give yourself Advantage
2) You aren't in a position to perform a "help" action in combat (perhaps you don't have a weapon with appropriate range for where you are relative to the guy you want to help).I do not understand. The true strike spell can only give advantage to your next attack roll and the Help action can only give advantage against a creature within 5 feet of you.