PDA

View Full Version : Was the Forsaker Ever Updated?

Palanan
2016-09-29, 08:29 PM
I've finally found a use for this oddball PrC, and wondered if there was ever a web update to 3.5 or something like that.

If not, what would I need to change to use it in Pathfinder? For the funky DR, I figured I'd change it to DR/magic or plain DR/-. Would anything else need changing? I'll only be using the first couple of levels.

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-29, 10:31 PM
If you remove Forsake Magic, it's a decent defense-focused martial PrC. With Forsake Magic it's absolute garbage in most games.

Nousos
2016-09-29, 10:37 PM
Since I know of no update, what immediately jumps to mind is removing the per day cap on fast healing and granting them straight DR/-.

Since the character will still be hopeless without magic items or anything of the sort, I would grant them some way to get flight and a few immunities they may need. Even full maneuver progression would fit in my opinion, since it can fix a few shortcomings.

Also, adding in (or not) that the class limitations also affect psionic and psionic items would sense.

And maybe remove the need to keep destroying magic items, since the other players will hate you.

All in all, every argument against VoP can also be used against this. Except even VoP characters can still cast spells.

Kaje
2016-09-29, 11:45 PM
I've been working on a Commoner/ Survivor/ Fortune's Friend/ Forsaker with VoP. It's not powerful, but it's interesting. Stick some Shape Soulmeld in there if allowed.

Arael666
2016-09-30, 12:12 AM
If you remove Forsake Magic, it's a decent defense-focused martial PrC. With Forsake Magic it's absolute garbage in most games.

This. Even vow of poverty is a hundred times better

animewatcha
2016-09-30, 12:20 AM
Question since vow of poverty is seen as better than forsake magic. With the forsake magic.. Would forsaker be better than monk.

Zaydos
2016-09-30, 12:23 AM

This. Even vow of poverty is a hundred times better

I remember loving the concept of Forsaker when it first came out. I mean I was a kid and I realized it was horrible, but if VoP had existed I might have tried to go for it, we tended towards low magic items and ineptly played casters in the group I was playing with then, so it might have still come out as seemingly OP.

Efrate
2016-09-30, 12:25 AM
How does incarnum interact with forsaker and VoP? I am very very out of my depth when it comes to incarnum, but how far does it go towards counting as a magic weapon/armor/whatever?

Endarire
2016-09-30, 12:58 AM
Incarnum lets users bind certain effects to their chakras, effectively taking up body slots that items normally use. It isn't magic to destroy, but it's something.

The Viscount
2016-09-30, 01:03 PM
The only thing you need to update in forsaker for 3.5 is the dr, which would just go to DR/magic.

Note that you only need to destroy items to make your DR come on, the rest works without it.

The Forsake magic ability specifies, spells, SLAs, and magic items. This precludes regular arcane and divine magic. It would likely preclude psionics since they count as SLAs, but the wording as written doesn't apply to Incarnum, nor to Binder or maneuvers.