PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Opinions on my Cleric 3.5

STOMPDOWN
2016-09-29, 09:42 PM
I was wanting peoples opinions on my new cleric to see if anybody had better ideas for him.

Cleric level 6

AAsimar

Alingment Chaotic Good No Deity

Domains Planning/Undeath

Ability Scores

STR:16

DEX:16

CON:16

INT:10

WIS:21

CHA:10

Armor Class:17

Armor Chain Shirt

Weapon Greatsword

Feats

Extend Spell
Persistent Spell
Touch of Healing
Divine Metamagic
Extra Turning

If There is something else relevant you want to know just ask.

Rebel7284
2016-09-29, 10:06 PM
I would swap Dex and Cha (or Str and Cha) to get more turn attempts unless you know that you will have easy access to Nightsticks from Libris Mortis.

Otherwise it's fine. I like taking a few levels of Church Inquisitor, but that does require Church Membership.

Are you planning to take any prestige classes later?

STOMPDOWN
2016-09-29, 10:24 PM
Rebel7284

I was not planning on it but I could consider it.

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-29, 10:29 PM
Well, I can say that this is a pretty cookie-cutter Clericzilla. Not really any improvements I can see from an optimization standpoint.

Divine Metamagic applies only to one metamagic feat. I assume you're sticking it on Persistent Spell.

You're three turn attempts short of two persistent spells per day, so get a Nightstick ASAP.

Remember that you can have two-day-duration spells with Extend and Persist - with two of your spell slots each day, you can keep four 1st- or 2nd-level personal- or fixed-range spells active at all times, or two 1st- or 2nd-level spells and one 3rd-level spell, or two 3rd-level spells. Divine Favor, Cloud of Knives, and Sadism are a nice set at your level.

Planning and Undeath are definitely not Chaotic Good, so you may need to change your alignment if you want to hold to those ideals/concepts.

STOMPDOWN
2016-09-29, 10:39 PM
Well, I can say that this is a pretty cookie-cutter Clericzilla. Not really any improvements I can see from an optimization standpoint.

Divine Metamagic applies only to one metamagic feat. I assume you're sticking it on Persistent Spell.

You're three turn attempts short of two persistent spells per day, so get a Nightstick ASAP.

Remember that you can have two-day-duration spells with Extend and Persist - with two of your spell slots each day, you can keep four 1st- or 2nd-level personal- or fixed-range spells active at all times, or two 1st- or 2nd-level spells and one 3rd-level spell, or two 3rd-level spells. Divine Favor, Cloud of Knives, and Sadism are a nice set at your level.

Planning and Undeath are definitely not Chaotic Good, so you may need to change your alignment if you want to hold to those ideals/concepts.

What alingment would you suggest and like Rebel7284 said i could switch strength with charisma.

Arael666
2016-09-29, 10:40 PM
Swap your turn undead for rebuke dragons or destroy undead, then get turn undead back from sacred exorcist al ECL8. That way you have 2 separate pools of turning that benefit from extra turning

sonofzeal
2016-09-30, 12:02 PM
My absolute #1 recommendation for any and all Cleric builds isn't actually optimization advice so much as something that'll dramatically improve the flavour and feel of the Cleric: the Evangelist variant from Dragon #311 (inb4 "oh no, Dragon Magazine is teh brokenz!").

The crunch:
- lose heavy armor
- lose Turn Undead
- lose Domain spell slots
- use Sorcerer spells-per-day (less total, sometimes a level behind)
- use Sorcerer spells known rather than having full list
+ gain spontaneous casting
+ add Domain spells to spells known
+ add extra domains at 5, 10, 15, and 20.

The reason:
You lose a lot, admittedly. Spontaneous casting is nice, but the change to how domains work is amazing. A default Cleric is casting about 80% of their spells off the general cleric list, and only get to cast one Domain spell of each spell level each day, so they end up just being the occasional bits of flair. For an Evangelist, roughly half of all spells known at any level are going to be pulled off the domain lists, and you could burn through all your spell slots purely on domain spells.

Basically, which Deity you worship is vital to your play style. A Cleric of Kord, Pelor, and Cuthbert are all going to play pretty similarly with some occasional differences, but Evangelists of those three gods are going to be massively different. The different roleplays and philosophy get reflected in gameplay far more, and each Evangelist is going to feel quite unique while Clerics can often end up feeling a bit cookie-cutter after you've played a few.

Highly recommended.