PDA

View Full Version : Spelljammer Wars (IC)

Elbeyon
2016-09-29, 09:53 PM
The great crystals have erupted into war once again. A future told long ago is coming to the present. The rightful rulers have started their war march. Their foes outwitted and on the run, illithids are confident and claiming their foretold destiny. Murmurs say this is the end for all free-willed creatures. That the war is already over. Still, there are those that would fight for their right to live.

We zoom in on a Hammership. It has spent the better part of three months traveling through the Phlogiston to the current crystal shell. Five days searching for an open portal and five more to arrive here at a large, entirely flat planet. The planetary locator shows a 3d image of their target. The fourth planet in the solar system.

A spyglass from the forward bridge makes out a fortress. It's massive scale. Strong prison walls. Lush forest all around it. A variety of enemy solders patrol the front. Mostly humans, but a few seige worthy giants patrol as well. Their massive bulk tuned and calloused from work. The walk and keep their prison in check. Turning back around, we can see Geldnyr's people preparing for battle.

People are putting on armor. Giffs are readying their polearms and explosives. Bolstering their spirits. Weelso, the leader of the Giff platoon, approaches Geldnyr in the bridge and asks if they can do conquer this prison. No coward, she asks if she should prepare to die. If suicide tactics are in play. A large long barrel pistol rests on her side and an even larger polearm on her back.

Gryndel
2016-09-30, 01:51 PM
The diminutive sorcerer glanced up at his large and most trusted ally, “Our highest priority is to rescue as many allies as possible. Little is known about this place, so all tactics are on the table as of now. I’d prefer we conquer it with as little structural damage as possible initially, liberate all the prisoners we can, then we lay waste to the entire edifice after we return to the ship. Once we’re in range (2000 feet), as usual, you, one of your best warriors, our intrepid spy and I will transport magically (Enlarged Dimension Door) to the wall to begin our assault. The ship and remaining crew will launch weapons when in range, targeting the giants primarily. By the time the ship is close enough for the rest of the troops to land we should be inside. Any suggestions?”

Elbeyon
2016-10-11, 05:01 AM
Your gathered around the 3d image of the planet discussing your plans. The gold painted globe flickering between all the parties. The target somewhere done there on that not so distance orb.

Weelso nods along. Paying a special type of attention to the captain. It was game time. After the plan she took on a formal posture with a salute. "Yes, captain. I'll ready the platoon for a charge. Those messily brutes will fall under our combined force. We're more than matched for them."

Horgeon, your human intelligence officer, speaks up, "Sir. If I may. I'd suggest a few rounds of bombardment before we let the troops engage. The men will appropriate the ship's hull taking a few hits over them. It may make the wall team's assault more difficult."

Gryndel
2016-10-11, 10:33 AM
"Yes Horgeon, that's part of the plan. As soon as we're in range we launch all ship weapons targeting the giants primarily. I'll be adding in some magic to the assault too. As all of you know, I am able to magically repair damage to the ship, but it must hold together long enough for me to return and repair it. I think we have our plan ready, but also be ready for any surprises, as usual."

The sorcerer went to have some words with the pilot, to make sure it was well understood that the ship was to be used in the best tactical manner to allow for maximum firepower with minimal risk. He then gathered up his intelligence officer and the pair of giff he was going to take with him to stand on the bow of the ship, ready to fire off a enlarged empowered fireball.

So the initial plan is that when the ship is within 2000' I cast an enlarged empowered fireball, then a quickened dimension door with 2 giff and the "spy". The giff are there to attack the nearest giant(s) while the spy looks for entry. The round before that I cast greater invisibility on myself and quickened greater invisibility on the spy.