PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Hallow x Footsteps of the Divine = Chuck E Cheese light?

Jowgen
2016-09-29, 10:52 PM
Some of ya'll may recall a TO build called Chuck E Cheese, who's thing was that he could move real far and take lots of actions in a single round, but it became unusable with new Errata included. This isn't a new version of it, but simply a combo that recreates part of that flavor.

With Errata included, the last 3 lines of Footsteps of the Divine read

At any point before the duration expires, you can choose to employ a burst of truly inhuman speed. You can discharge the spell to add +10 feet to your speed per remaining round of the spell’s duration. This effect lasts until the end of your turn.

Meanwhile, Hallow has this line:

Finally, you may choose to fix a single spell effect to the hallowed site. The spell effect lasts for one year and functions throughout the entire site, regardless of the normal duration and area or effect. You may designate whether the effect applies to all creatures [...] Spell effects that may be tied to a hallowed site include:

You can probably guess where I am going with this. There is no list of spells that are excluded from being fixed to the Hallow, and the example list includes Invisibility Purge, which is a Personal range spell like Footsteps of the Divine.

If my understanding is correct, attaching FotD to the Hallow causes any creature within it to then be subject to the effect of FotD, which now has a duration of one year. Unless there is something to prevent that creature from triggering the Discharge of this effect upon itself, it should gain a boost to its speed equal to the number of rounds remaining within the year-long duration. With the errata having changed the speed boost trigger to a discharge, that speed should still apply after the hallowed area is left.

In brief, the creature in question can now move with a speed equal to its base speed, plus 52.560.000 ft, or 876 miles. That is a speed of 2.670.048 m/s, or mach 7846, or a (mere) 0.89% of the speed of light. Also, that is just a move action, as opposed to a double move, or even a Run.

Now obviously there are further ways to boost this (e.g. the double speed spear from Ghostwalk, fly-speeds set at double land, the Fly Like an Arrow spell), and there are plenty of junctures where a DM can shut it down with a "I don't think that works that way".

Still, I felt this by itself was worth posting as a little TO thing. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Updgrade to actual usefullness

Vehicles (as per A&E, Storm & ECS) are able to convert speed to damage by performing rams. They deal a vehicle specific number of d6 of damage, multiplied by how far it moved that round prior to the ram, taking the same ammount (or half with a ramming prow) of damage themselves.

Making the vehicle indestructible by regular damage (e.g. Riverine) and making it a creature (e.g. Minor Servitor), allows it to benefit from Hallow x FotD and perform rams that deal literal millions of d6 of damage. Depending on specifics, this may or may not be sufficient to punch a hole straight through a moon.

Endarire
2016-09-30, 01:10 AM
This to me is less Chuck E Cheese and more The Flash or Quicksilver.

Pinkie Pyro
2016-09-30, 01:11 AM
So what's the max here, 44.5-89% the speed of light with the proper multipliers?

Jowgen
2016-09-30, 08:56 AM
This to me is less Chuck E Cheese and more The Flash or Quicksilver.

I was referring to an old TO build (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=rgqnq9ulioht4b0je9ldjrgj65&topic=5788.0) that goes way faster, but was nerfed by the FotD errata (i.e. no persist), as it relied on FotD being a legal target for Persist Spell.

So what's the max here, 44.5-89% the speed of light with the proper multipliers?

From the top of my head, Rapid Wrath ("This +1 mighty cleaving shortspear doubles the speed of a creature that carries it") is a x 2. The Shadow Creature template gives a x 1.5. The fiendish feathered wings graft gives a fly speed of x 2 land, argualby allowing us to include the bonus of FotD and speed multipliers twice.

Assuming a base speed of 50 for easy math:

52.560.050 x 1.5 x 2 = Land Speed (LS); (LS + 52.560.000) x 1.5 x 2 x 2= 1.261.440.900 Fly Speed ft/round

That would be a speed of 64.081.197.72 m/s, which is still only 21.37% the speed of light. Now a run action with the Run feat would get us 1.07 the speed of light, but only in a straight line, and this presumes

Endarire
2016-09-30, 03:18 PM
"and this presumes..." what?

What happens to mass at relativistic speeds? I thought mass just got converted into energy at or around the speed of light. (Energy = Mass * Speed of Light * Speed of Light)

Jowgen
2016-09-30, 03:37 PM
"and this presumes..." what?

What happens to mass at relativistic speeds? I thought mass just got converted into energy at or around the speed of light. (Energy = Mass * Speed of Light * Speed of Light)

Oh, meant to delete that last part, not sure what I was gonna say, originally.

As for time dilation and such... please, think of the catgirls? :smallfrown:

Jowgen
2016-10-04, 07:16 AM
Posted update to whole thing in OP.

Gemini476
2016-10-04, 07:51 AM
I was referring to an old TO build (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=rgqnq9ulioht4b0je9ldjrgj65&topic=5788.0) that goes way faster, but was nerfed by the FotD errata (i.e. no persist), as it relied on FotD being a legal target for Persist Spell.

From the top of my head, Rapid Wrath ("This +1 mighty cleaving shortspear doubles the speed of a creature that carries it") is a x 2. The Shadow Creature template gives a x 1.5. The fiendish feathered wings graft gives a fly speed of x 2 land, argualby allowing us to include the bonus of FotD and speed multipliers twice.

Assuming a base speed of 50 for easy math:

52.560.050 x 1.5 x 2 = Land Speed (LS); (LS + 52.560.000) x 1.5 x 2 x 2= 1.261.440.900 Fly Speed ft/round

That would be a speed of 64.081.197.72 m/s, which is still only 21.37% the speed of light. Now a run action with the Run feat would get us 1.07 the speed of light, but only in a straight line, and this presumes

Don't forget the obvious one - Cheetah's Speed. Or similar stuff that gives you the Cheetah's 10x charge (and 50ft base speed). Which you can do in the air since 3E equates flying movement options with grounded (or submarine!) ones.

Also, of course, remember that 3E's multiplication rules are weird and not quite as exponential as they could be.

Darrin
2016-10-04, 08:05 AM
Also, of course, remember that 3E's multiplication rules are weird and not quite as exponential as they could be.

PHB page 304:

"When applying multipliers to real-world values (such as weight or distance), normal rules of math apply instead."

Speed is a real-world value.