View Full Version : Pathfinder Building a metaphorical toolkit

ZeroSpace9000
2016-09-30, 12:40 AM
I've been playing in my one friend's campaign for about 6 months now, averaging just under one session every week. As of late, though, I feel like I could be doing... more with my character. While this is in part due to not bringing the proper mentality for the character I've built, part of it comes down to not have a good set of abilities laid out.
What I want to do is look at equipment and spell options for my character to get more use out of what I do have, and fill holes where I can. Of note, while I'm fairly certain I can convince the DM to let me retrain stuff, I'd prefer to wait on that. My base stats, skills, and talents are more than sufficient for a foundation to build from. The setting is a relatively low power world; as a 6th level character I'm already notable. Or would be, if I didn't play up a sneaky rogue. There's been an even mix between combat and social/intrigue stuff, of which I spec'ed for the latter. But anyways, relevant details for my character.

Guile
UnChained Rogue 6 (Started at 5, I know slow development)
S10 D16 C14 I16 W12 Ch14
Finesse Training: Dagger
Talents
Underhanded(feat)
Fast Stealth
Minor/Major Magic

Feats
Bookish Rogue
Extra Talent
Skill Focus UMD
Imp Init

Trained Skills
Acrobatics
Appraise
Bluff
Diplomacy
Disguise
Intimidate
K Local
K Nobility
Linguistics
Perception
Sense Motive
Sleight of Hand
Stealth
Spellcraft
UMD +14

Notable Gear
Apprentice's Cheating Gloves
Wand of Silent Image, Reduce Person, Unseen Servant
Spellbook with a few cantrips, Mudball, Exped Retreat, Vanish

Plot(!) power
My character has... absorbed one page of a powerful artifact-level book that has domain over fate and fortune. It enables visions (ultimately at the DM's convenience, they mostly give insight into goings-on outside my vicinity, I have some control over targets), and lets me fudge fate to a degree, swift action make someone's next d20 roll into a 1 or a 20, costs 1 Wisdom Burn.

So what I'm looking for are suggestions for spells to pick up, both scrolls to put into my spellbook, and for stuff to wand. I would also like suggestions on good equipment to pick up, either magic or mundane. I have just under 2200gp to spend. Don't worry about stuff like weapon enhancements or the like, DM is using Automatic Bonus progression. Also, for combat purposes, I'm considering grabbing a light crossbow and either a scroll or wand of Gravity Bow for sniping.

Anyways, hit me with ideas.

Geddy2112
2016-09-30, 10:37 AM
The MacGyver rogue is certainly very powerful, and you have the foundation to do it.

I would spring for a shortbow over a crossbow-you are proficient with it, and you can make multiple attacks at higher levels. For now you can use a crossbow when you only have 1 attack for slightly more damage.

Gravity bow would be a good wand,as would lead blades to make your daggers hit harder. Keep in mind they only add a net 1 damage per hit, but it is a buff nonetheless. The problem with these is the short duration-you need to cast them before a fight, but you can't cast them at the start of a day and be done. Pop these before every couple of rooms in a dungeon crawl, or anytime you reasonably expect a fight to break out.

Silent image is one of the most powerful spells in the game or worthless, depending entirely on your DM. If you can swing the former, the uses of it are limited to your creativity. You can create fake fire in battle, walls, extra allies, improvised cover, etc. You also have prestidigitation, which is also very versatile-change your hair color, make arrows smell like bacon, clean or dirty your clothing in seconds.

Two items I take for almost every character I make are the traveler's any-tool (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/traveler-s-any-tool), which gives you the tools to do damn near anything, and if it is craft/profession related get a +2 and the sleeves of many garments (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/sleeves-of-many-garments) which allow you to dress for any situation. Both are dirt cheap and well within your budget.

1st level spells to get: If you want a zany utility spell, summon instrument is a bard cantrip and would make a fun wand. Faerie fire is a very powerful spell that is druid only-bar none the best way to negate concealment and invisibility without a save. Depending on how often this happens, a scroll might do. Air bubble is a poor man's water breathing and normally a couple of scrolls suffice. Protection from evil is worth a scroll and usually a wand, just to negate control from evil creatures; depending on your campaign you might need protection from law/good/chaos, but evil(even for evil parties) is usually best. Unless somebody in the party is a polyglot, or you just happen to be super diverse and speak most languages, comprehend languages is a good scroll. It is campaign/party specific, but you might want a scroll of undetectable alignment, and for some parties a wand of this is a must-get a bard made one as bards get this spell early. Obscuring mist is a classic low level spell with a lot of use, but you likely have somebody who can cast this. Reduce person is great for you being sneaky and the casters being harder to hit, but your melee brutes want enlarge person, so grab that unless the rest of the party are feeble arcane types. If your party is the type to loot everything, or you frequently find yourself needing to move heavy things, check out ant haul and floating disk. Alter winds is a good way to disperse stagnant air, create a breeze to keep cool, or negate things like obscuring mist, fog cloud, the like. Forced quite seems like a debuff, but is actually a powerful stealth buff and way to protect from sonic effects. If anyone in your group is the crafting type, a wand of crafter's fortune is very powerful.

ZeroSpace9000
2016-09-30, 10:58 AM
Thanks Geddy, lots of good suggestion. I've already snapped up some of what you've mentioned, like Reduce Person and Silent Image. Can't believe the Any-Tool slipped my mind though.

As for scrolls, while getting some utility spells is a good idea, my main desire there is for my spellbook. Though I'm not a wizard, my Minor/Major Magic talents along with the Bookish Rogue feat allows me to kinda pull it off. My DM has allowed me to maintain my own spellbook for those talents, as opposed to going to the Arcane Guild anytime I want more stuff added. So for scrolls, there is a definite focus on Sor/Wiz spells.

Geddy2112
2016-09-30, 11:34 AM
As for scrolls, while getting some utility spells is a good idea, my main desire there is for my spellbook. Though I'm not a wizard, my Minor/Major Magic talents along with the Bookish Rogue feat allows me to kinda pull it off. My DM has allowed me to maintain my own spellbook for those talents, as opposed to going to the Arcane Guild anytime I want more stuff added. So for scrolls, there is a definite focus on Sor/Wiz spells.
The goal with utility spells is that you may have them in your spellbook, but that you can have a scroll or wand of said spell so you don't have to prepare it and use your few spells/day on things you rarely need(scrolls) or buffs/healing that are used frequently and don't really care about DC or caster level(wands).

You have a +14 in UMD, which is pretty awesome. The DC to pop a wand is 20, so you need a 6 or better on the dice, so still a bit risky to use UMD items in combat, and you can always nat1 and get banned from the item for 24 hours. Scrolls are slightly higher, 21 for a 1st level spell but basically the same risk.
Your UMD is high enough to get spells from any list you want and have a reasonable chance of success. Technically, you don't have a class spell list, but if your DM has ruled that you have access to the sorc/wiz spell list for spell completion, then absolutely you want to focus on wands/scrolls from said list. Even if not, and even if you have things like air bubble in your spellbook, you don't want to prepare air bubble every day-it is often useless. The times you do prepare it are times you know it will be used(underwater dungeon delve) and the other times are where it is situational, but not required(giving you the option to swim/cross a low air enviornment and not have to hold your breath) it makes your life easier, and that is where the scroll comes into play.