PDA

View Full Version : Resevoir Dogs

djreynolds
2016-09-30, 03:12 AM
I just watched this movie, its been years. This could work as a great adventure. I love the element of persuasion, deception, and intimidation etc.

I was thinking even having the party assume codenames etc. The dwarf rogue, I would call Mr Gnome.

Any ideas?

StealthyRobot
2016-09-30, 05:30 AM
What? I'm guessing the movie is called Resvoir Dogs, but I've never heard of it. Whatever ideas you have are yours, but there's not much I can give in way of advice due to lack of info.

Elminster298
2016-09-30, 06:24 AM
I would suggest talking to one of the players privately and make them the "cop" to betray them near the end of the adventure.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-09-30, 06:50 AM
It's an utterly amazing movie, but I feel like it would make for a bad game. It's basically just a bunch of guys standing around cursing and accusing each other of betraying them-- there's really not even that much social conflict to play with. I can see Fiasco, maybe, but not a traditional system.

DivisibleByZero
2016-09-30, 06:52 AM
What? I'm guessing the movie is called Resvoir Dogs, but I've never heard of it. Whatever ideas you have are yours, but there's not much I can give in way of advice due to lack of info.

You've heard of Pulp Fiction though, right? Django Unchained? H8ful Eight?
Reservoir Dogs is the film that put Tarrantino on the map. It was low budget, and it was amazing. His films were never low budget again after that.

mgshamster
2016-09-30, 06:58 AM

It's kind of an American cultural film when it comes to pop culture. It's fairly safe to assume that anyone who plays d&d enough to regularly post on a forum has similar pop culture interests and has at least heard of it, if not watched it.

So either you're too young to know about it, or your not American, or for some strange reason you're an avid d&d fan who just doesn't happen to like pop culture.

Given that you've now heard about it, I strongly recommend you watch it. Absolutely great film.

2D8HP
2016-09-30, 07:27 AM
Given that you've now heard about it, I strongly recommend you watch it. Absolutely great film.Only if you can stand the blood and gore.
I can't watch "Zombie" movies, and watching the "Game of Thrones" television series is hard for me as well.
With that caveat, "Reservoir Dogs" is a good film, but for a somewhat similar "Crime" film without the blood (at least it's in black and white! ) I'd go with Kubrick's "The Killing" instead.

smcmike
2016-09-30, 07:38 AM
The plot of Reservoir Dogs is not a good template for D&D, but you can certainly borrow some of the style, with code names and gangster affectations. The real question is if you can pull off Tarantino-style dialogue (hard to write, easy to act, since the acting is so stilted).

Corran
2016-09-30, 07:53 AM
I just watched this movie, its been years. This could work as a great adventure. I love the element of persuasion, deception, and intimidation etc.

I was thinking even having the party assume codenames etc. The dwarf rogue, I would call Mr Gnome.

Any ideas?

It's an utterly amazing movie, but I feel like it would make for a bad game. It's basically just a bunch of guys standing around cursing and accusing each other of betraying them-- there's really not even that much social conflict to play with. I can see Fiasco, maybe, but not a traditional system.
Have to agree with Grod.
It had crossed my mind to start a campaign (some time ago...) that way, but decided against it as the players were pretty new to the game and didnt want to risk turning them against each other. Plus, the whole twist/idea wouldn't take that much time to resolve, from what I can imagine, so maybe it would do for a relatively short campaign with experienced players that have good enough chemistry to pull this off without turning the campaign into a spaltter film.

That said, and since we are talking about inspiration from movies to start off campaigns, I was always very fond of a campaign starting much like the usual suspects film does. PC's are summoned to place X and are greeted by an unknown NPC (Mr Kobayashi) who instructs/blackmails/tempts them (according to background) to take on a job for a Mr Keyzer Soze (ofc you change all the names). I am currently working on a campaign that perhaps will start more or less like this, though I have deviated from the movie script a lot, regarding who Mr Soze is, and the like. However, I like this movie in regard to starting a dnd campaign with a sense of mystery and intrigue (though this wouldnt be that much related to the main story, much rather than a potential side quest, though with a lot of detail should the players decide to go towards that direction).

RickAllison
2016-09-30, 08:34 AM
I would think such a premise would be better done with a Dread campaign, with the additional rule that every death makes another layer (maybe two) of the tower unusable.

As more PCs die, they die faster!

I am stealing this for a one-shot.

lunaticfringe
2016-09-30, 09:00 AM
Inglorious Bastards, that is a Campaign

I think Reservoir Dogs could make a neat Campaign Opening, running from guards all wounded after a robbery gone bad. Head back to the Thieves'Guild Safehouse to try and find out what went wrong....

Willie the Duck
2016-09-30, 09:33 AM
Inglorious Bastards, that is a Campaign

For very specific reasons you are better served by hearing from the movie's writer's various interviews, it is actually "Basterds."

djreynolds
2016-09-30, 10:15 AM
It would make a nice one shot adventure or a nice beginning.
I've always enjoyed the drow, whose worst enemy is each other.
Obviously more of social and exploration pillars.
But rogue fighting rogue is always cool.
It could be a cabal of wizards, instead of rogues.
Who stole the spell book??!!!!

lunaticfringe
2016-09-30, 10:22 AM
For very specific reasons you are better served by hearing from the movie's writer's various interviews, it is actually "Basterds."

I know I didn't really feel like bothering to fight my autocorrect on my Tablet. It's a Forum, grammar & spelling mistakes happen. You got my idea though right?

Inglorious Bastards, Inglorious Basterds, Inglorious Bastards.

Willie the Duck
2016-09-30, 11:44 AM
I know I didn't really feel like bothering to fight my autocorrect on my Tablet. It's a Forum, grammar & spelling mistakes happen. You got my idea though right?

Inglorious Bastards, Inglorious Basterds, Inglorious Bastards.

That's fine. It is, after all, a deliberate misspelling. Makes more sense than a nonsensical portmanteau of 'Au Revoir Les Enfants' and 'Straw Dogs' becoming 'Reservoir Dogs.'

djreynolds
2016-10-01, 12:14 AM
There is a palpable level of violence in the movie and danger. You have a good idea of what is coming... in terms of violence.

I like for my players to experience that, you know, there is a lot of cool stuff in Strahd's castle and it would be cool to just spend a couple of days wandering around looking... but it is Strahd's castle and he wants you dead

You can't play every game like that, but as an opening or one shot, could be cool.