PDA

View Full Version : Building a frosty arachnid character; need help.

TheifofZ
2016-09-30, 05:40 AM
It's that time, once again.
I need help with a strange, some would call outlandish, build request. Again.

I've been itching to play a humanoid arachnid (something like a drider, but not, you know, cursed by an ancient goddess of spiders in a fit of pique.) and one of my friends recently started up a game; I had to miss a few sessions due to scheduling issues, but now I've an opportunity to join in.

One of the players in the group mentioned that he was going ice-themed, and that synergy would be good, and I do enjoy the thematics present in the book of Frost. So here is my request.

Help me make a humanoid arachnid character that feels super spidery, while also having synergy and abilities based around frost... all while actually being decently powerful and not a waste of time to play.

Quick edit: For now, assume all non-homebrew is acceptable. Also current party level is ~3, but advice on where to go as levels are gained is also helpful.

Vizzerdrix
2016-09-30, 06:31 AM
Celestial harry spider? Be a white chibi looking tarantula and pretend to be a familiar. May be a bit too high level though. I think celestial is a +4 template.

Tauric should be able to pull off the look, but I dont know its LA off the top of my head.

The ice theme would depend on what role you wish to fill. Casters are easiest, but a beatstick could be hashed together too.

Name1
2016-09-30, 07:14 AM
Celestial harry spider? Be a white chibi looking tarantula and pretend to be a familiar. May be a bit too high level though. I think celestial is a +4 template.

Tauric should be able to pull off the look, but I dont know its LA off the top of my head.

The ice theme would depend on what role you wish to fill. Casters are easiest, but a beatstick could be hashed together too.

You are thinkig of Half-Celestial ad Half-Fiend. Celestial and Fiendish are +2 templates that bump the creatures it to 3 if it was lower before.

Vizzerdrix
2016-09-30, 07:18 AM
Oh well there ya go! Thanks for the heads up :)

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-30, 10:20 AM
...you do realize you'll be playing a character incidentally based on a certain terrible Syfy made-for-TV film, right?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/87/Icespidersdvd.jpg

Anyways. The MM2 update document sets the Tauric template's LA at the base humanoid's plus 3. A Small humanoid Tauric'd with a Medium Monstrous Spider has 3 monstrous humanoid HD and LA +3. As far as RHD go monstrous humanoid isn't too bad - at least you get full BAB and Charm/Hold Person immunity - and you also get darkvision/tremorsense 60 ft, +6 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +1 natural armor, the web special attack, some neat racial skill bonuses, and a 20-ft climb speed. You *might* also get Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat, but the Tauric template doesn't say anything about racial bonus feats so I'm not 100% certain. I recommend Strongheart Halfling for the top half, cuz moar feats, but any LA +0 Small humanoid without RHD works fine.

The LA +3 is definitely too high, though - pretty much any 7th-level character would wipe the floor with a Tauric 1st-level character. I think it'd be fair to wipe the LA entirely, or give them +1 that can be bought off.

Name1
2016-09-30, 10:56 AM
The LA +3 is definitely too high, though - pretty much any 7th-level character would wipe the floor with a Tauric 1st-level character. I think it'd be fair to wipe the LA entirely, or give them +1 that can be bought off.

Evil people would suggest you to have your character loose levels and then replace your last remaining RHD with a class level, 'cause that's allowed and would (maybe) allow you to buyoff your +3 ECL, given time. I am such an evil person.

Realistically speaking, your campaign will probably not last long enough to get all 3 bought off. Maybe 2. Likely only 1. LA is a pretty horrible thing for how unfocused your gains tend to be.

So yeah, you CAN build such a character, but you should still sleep over it for a few nights to decide if it's worth loosing out on a few levels.

The Viscount
2016-09-30, 12:57 PM
When you say arachnid are you talking Chitine levels or Hairy Spider levels? Icy is very broad, the variant Pyrokineticist based on cold is a good starting point.

TheifofZ
2016-09-30, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I remembered Tauric; I'll probably talk to the DM about waiving some of that rather steep LA, given how 'ehhh' the abilities it buys are.

My other choice on race was the Insectoid template (Savage species), and fluff it as a spider, but it doesn't come with a fancy web ability.
It's just +2 LA, no RHD. (Apparently the Web ability is a whole +1 LA?)

Mostly I'm wondering on classes; After hemming and hawing for awhile, I'm leaning toward Paladin of Tyranny or Blackguard into... something. But that's something approaching 12 empty levels of prestiging I can play around with, even with 3 RHD.

Edit:

So yeah, you CAN build such a character, but you should still sleep over it for a few nights to decide if it's worth loosing out on a few levels.
Yes, well. I don't mind being moderately less effective (hence leaning into beatstick territory), in exchange for cool character concepts.
This kind of thing is nothing new, as I've intentionally made (and asked for help making) moderately gimped characters before, since at this point I'm more interested in flavor over power. ... up to a point, anyway. After a certain point, it becomes an unplayable mess, and that's no good.

Inevitability
2016-09-30, 03:43 PM
Be a hairy spider familiar (being a familiar explicitly doesn't change LA) and take levels in druid. Your former master was a frost druid with you as his companion, and you've learned magic by observing his behavior.

TheifofZ
2016-09-30, 07:31 PM
... That strikes me as a bit heavy on the gouda. Amusing though.

Edit: Still looking for a good frost based PrC set up to build off of Paladin of Tyranny or Blackguard.

Thurbane
2016-09-30, 07:36 PM
If you can eat up LA, then how about an Arachnoid Diopsid? (Arachnoid template = Underdark, Diopsid = Dragon Magazine Compendium). Unless it got errata'd, the template has no listed level adjustment, which is generally regarded as being the same as LA +0. Diopsid is LA +1.

Assuming this works the way I think it works, that takes care of the humanoid spider part. You're a multi-armed aberration with a poisonous bite.

You could go into (lion totem) barbarian and take the Frozen Berserker feat (Frostburn)...

Goodkill
2016-09-30, 07:36 PM
Aranea: telepathic shapechanging spider with sorcerous powers. you can pretend to be human with this one. not sure about the LA ....

TheifofZ
2016-09-30, 07:51 PM
If you can eat up LA, then how about an Arachnoid Diopsid? (Arachnoid template = Underdark, Diopsid = Dragon Magazine Compendium). Unless it got errata'd, the template has no listed level adjustment, which is generally regarded as being the same as LA +0. Diopsid is LA +1.

Assuming this works the way I think it works, that takes care of the humanoid spider part. You're a multi-armed aberration with a poisonous bite.

You could go into (lion totem) barbarian and take the Frozen Berserker feat (Frostburn)...

Oooooh. Into Frost Rager for added fun.
Could go (Lion Totem) Barbarian 6-> 5 Blackguard-> 1 Fighter -> 5 Frostrager -> 3 of whatever.
... Probably more fighter, because I'm going to be eating feats left and right. Or Barb to help boost those abilities. Not sure how strong it'll be, though. Still, fun.

Aranea is a no-go, though. 3 RHD and a whopping +4 LA. Not going to be getting anywhere with that, as cool as it is.

thoroughlyS
2016-09-30, 09:28 PM
According to Dire Stirge (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?485938-The-LA-assignment-thread&p=20702605), the Aranea (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20745324&postcount=53) is really only worth +2 LA, so maybe your DM will allow you to use that.