PDA

View Full Version : Should I muti-class into monk?

Sir cryosin
2016-09-30, 07:29 AM
I'm a lv4 arcane cleric stats are
Str: 10
Dex: 16
Con: 16
Int: 12
Wis: 18
Chr: 16
What's got me thinking about multiclassing is unarmored defense. Some kind of attack if my stuff gets stolen again. I'm thinking only one lv dip. We will get to higher lvs but I don't see us getting to lv 20. We're doing Storm King Thunder and out of the Abyss combined into one big campaign jumping back and forth between the two.

NecroDancer
2016-09-30, 07:35 AM
That would be a good move but be warned your casting will be delayed

Specter
2016-09-30, 08:25 AM
Compared to breastplate, it would give you +1AC. Also, abonus action to attack for 1d4+3, forever, BUT Spiritual Weapon is better. So it's up to you, really.

E-102 Hanako
2016-09-30, 08:30 AM
Cleric & Monk are both a good dual-class combo, at least by 3.5 and Pathfinder RPG standards. I presume you have the fluff to go along with really good crunch for this build? Why would an arcane cleric seek to go into monastic tradition? Was it something their deity willed?

Sir cryosin
2016-09-30, 10:40 AM
His background is hermit and one of the characteristics is he is always looking for enlightenment and hear of monks reaching it though meditation in martial arts. Him being a a cleric of Azuth. He was raised in a secluded Monastery of wizards. Not being too good with his studies he spent more time praying at the alter of Azuth. Azuth made it easyer to understand arcane knowledge and his studies. His interested in the arcane arts but he's trying to discover himself and he thinks that achieving enlightenment. Will unlock all his questions. And learning from monks could be a way.

N810
2016-09-30, 10:58 AM
Seems like a good move, he has the stats for it.

RulesJD
2016-09-30, 11:14 AM
Possibly, but you have much better options with your broken stats.

JeffreyGator
2016-09-30, 12:11 PM
MC Dragon sorc fits your arcane theme and gives you the unarmored 3 AC just as well. It delays your casting progression but doesn't reduce your caster level. You also get 4 more arcane cantrips.

JeenLeen
2016-09-30, 12:24 PM
MC Dragon sorc fits your arcane theme and gives you the unarmored 3 AC just as well. It delays your casting progression but doesn't reduce your caster level. You also get 4 more arcane cantrips.

I think I agree with this. While monk is a fine choice and does give you some melee options, sorcerer lets you keep the same number of spell slots and gives you a base 13 AC instead of base 10. This is one less than the +4 you'd get from unarmored defense, and I realize that if you plan on boosting Wisdom more later on, that's less AC there, too.
However, as a sorcerer you could take some damaging cantrips (probably as good if not better than level 1 monk melee) and Shield as a spell known (to make up for AC, when you need it.)

Still, as others have noted, monk is a decent choice. Keep in mind, though, that as a monk you can't use a shield and keep unarmored defense, so that's a tradeoff of 2 AC there. Though if you already aren't using a shield, well, no harm done.
(I'd recommend a shield and usually no weapon drawn, since you can use cantrips to attack, to have a free hand for somatic spells.)

Potential Breakdown, assuming best mundane gear:
Cleric base: 10 + Half Plate (+5) + Dex (+2 cap) + Shield (+2) = 19 (17 if no shield)
Cleric/Monk: 10 + Wisdom (+4) + Dex (+3) = 17
Cleric/Sorc: 13 + Dex (+3) + Shield (+2) = 18 (16 if no shield)
Did I add wrong? It looks AC is maxed by just staying cleric with a shield and half plate. If using no shield and breastplate (base 16), cleric/monk gives +1 and cleric/sorc with no shield is the same.

Afterthought: is arcane cleric a non-PHB type that doesn't get shield proficiency? I think I was thinking of Knowledge cleric when writing the above.

lunaticfringe
2016-09-30, 12:36 PM
All Clerics get Shield, was that a humorous comment or are you smoking drugs? If it's drugs I want some.

I really rather grab Magic Initiate and Mage Armor as your free daily/Long Rest spell. You should still be able to use a shield. 18 AC for 8 hours with no stealth penalty which is what you want right?

JeenLeen
2016-09-30, 12:53 PM
All Clerics get Shield, was that a humorous comment or are you smoking drugs? If it's drugs I want some.

I really rather grab Magic Initiate and Mage Armor as your free daily/Long Rest spell. You should still be able to use a shield. 18 AC for 8 hours with no stealth penalty which is what you want right?

I meant the Shield spell (Sorcerer/Wizard list), not shield proficiency. A sorcerer multiclass would allow you to cast Shield if you need high AC for a round, on top of a worn shield and medium armor.

Mage Armor sounds cool, but I'd worry about reliability, such as ambushes or night attacks when the spell has worn off. Now a two-level dip into warlock to get the Invocation for 24/7 mage armor... well, potentially (but probably not) worth it if it wasn't a 2-level dip when the question talks about a 1-level dip.

lunaticfringe
2016-09-30, 01:10 PM
The Problem with Dips & Arcana is delaying access to the God Spells you can steal from the Wizard List. He's in a Mega Campaign I bet he will hit 17.

Also:

What did take as your Wizard Cantrips?, Firebolt (Most Arcane Attack Cantrips) don't require Material Components. Because what do those guys do when their stuff gets stolen? Good lord you took both Blade Cantrips didn't you? You really only needed One you Ain't melee. You get Potent Spellcasting not Divine Strike in Arcana. +WIS to Firebolt & whatever (Shocking Grasp, Chill Touch, Ray of Frost) other Cantrip you grabbed.

Sir cryosin
2016-09-30, 01:37 PM
Oh by the god's I feel so stupid. I was looking throught my spell and thought that firebolt had 'M' component to it *$#@ I feel silly. Thanks for pointing it out. No my cantrips are firebolt and prestidigitation, guidance, light, thaumaturgy, and then I took spellsniper at lv4 and graded Thorn whip. Well

lunaticfringe
2016-09-30, 02:00 PM
No worries happens to the best of us, it seemed odd is all. My Arcana Cleric Campaign started Lv1 in prison.

Lunatic's Quick & Dirty Guide for Escaping Prison as a Low Tier Arcana Cleric.

Fire Bolt
Shocking Grasp
Cure Wounds
Inflict Wounds

Sir cryosin
2016-09-30, 03:12 PM
It was funny because I got a hold of a shortsword and shield and chain shirt bring my ac to 17 and I rolled two 8's for my hp so I was sitting at 41 hp. At the end of the night I ended up tanking and killing more drow then the barbarian. The fight was tougher than what the DM thought it was going to be. I ended up using a lot of my spell slots I use one of my second spell slots for Spiritual weapon then I use another one of my second spell slots on Prayer of Healing. Then I use two or three of my first level spell slots on magic Missile.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-30, 03:52 PM
Oh by the god's I feel so stupid. I was looking throught my spell and thought that firebolt had 'M' component to it *$#@ I feel silly. Thanks for pointing it out. No my cantrips are firebolt and prestidigitation, guidance, light, thaumaturgy, and then I took spellsniper at lv4 and graded Thorn whip. Well

Yeah I'd definitely avoid monk then. Casting is better, especially level 5 giving amazing options like spirit guardians. Monk actually lowers your AC compared to armor and a shield. Unless your DM just really loves to capture people, it's probably not something you'll ever encounter again.

Stick cleric, consider sorcerer after level 5, if u want to eventually be able to use metamagic. Twinning or extending cleric buffs is very strong, etc.

Sigreid
2016-09-30, 07:15 PM
IMO, as a general rule, unless you're totally sure you want to multi class and why, you shouldn't.

Citan
2016-10-01, 03:26 AM
I'm a lv4 arcane cleric stats are
Str: 10
Dex: 16
Con: 16
Int: 12
Wis: 18
Chr: 16
What's got me thinking about multiclassing is unarmored defense. Some kind of attack if my stuff gets stolen again. I'm thinking only one lv dip. We will get to higher lvs but I don't see us getting to lv 20. We're doing Storm King Thunder and out of the Abyss combined into one big campaign jumping back and forth between the two.
Hi!

Dipping Monk is a good option if...
1- You plan to rely on melee attacks.
2- You want to max WIS
3- You don't usually wield a shield.
Because you can use a quarterstaff with your decent DEX as is, then take Magic Initiate feat later, choosing Druid (or another 1 level dip), to get Shillelagh.
But you will end with 1 Attack + 1 bonus action attack, so it's worth only if you take Sentinel later.

Otherwise, since you have as high CHA as DEX, you could better dip Draconic Sorcerer and get permanent Mage Armor and Shocking Grasp as a melee option.

And anyways, wait at least to get your lvl 5 in Cleric (as in any other multiclass build, lvl 5 first is golden rule in 99% cases :smallbiggrin:).

Sir cryosin
2016-10-01, 07:32 AM
Shocking grasped is fine but Thorn whip has a range of 30 but it say make a melee spell attack.

Citan
2016-10-01, 08:27 AM
Shocking grasped is fine but Thorn whip has a range of 30 but it say make a melee spell attack.
Oh, forgot about that. Well then, you are already set. ;)

lunaticfringe
2016-10-01, 08:51 AM
Yeah either is fine it's personal taste. I like SG because I use it as a Panic Button/Skirmish spell. If it hits it's Lighting Damage + Disengage basically. I try to avoid melee when possible when I'm playing a Full Caster.

It's nothing you should feel you have to Dip or Use a Feat to get.