PDA

View Full Version : I hoping to build an anima Mage

NecroDancer
2016-09-30, 09:43 AM
I was wondering how many levels of binder/sorcerer should I take if I want to build an optimized anima Mage? Should my arcane class even be a sorcerer? Also assume that I took the improved binder feat

Inevitability
2016-09-30, 10:12 AM
0 levels of binder.

Be whatever arcane class you fancy. Take Bind Vestige followed by Improved Bind Vestige. You can now bind a 2nd-level vestige, thereby fulfilling the pact magic requirement of AM.

Because '+1 soul binding' doesn't say it needs prior levels in a class that grants soul binding (other than, for example, '+1 level of arcane spellcasting class'), it advances your zero effective binder levels.

NecroDancer
2016-09-30, 10:49 AM
Thanks! Do you have any other advice?

Inevitability
2016-09-30, 03:51 PM
Thanks! Do you have any other advice?

Getting into the class as soon as possible is desirable because it allows you to access Vestige Metamagic and Vestige Casting sooner.

Earliest entry without extreme cheese is human wizard. Take Bind Vestige and Apprentice (soldier) at 1st-level and Improved Bind Vestige at 3rd-level, then take your fourth level in anima mage.

If flaws are a thing, consider (dragonborn) gray elf instead: take Aereni Focus (Intimidate) instead of Apprentice (soldier) in that case.

Note that sorcerer isn't bad, but it's not ideal. If you insist on sorcery, I recommend a Battle Sorcerer with one of the many feats that grant Knowledge (the planes) as a class skill. It'll delay entry by a single level, but you'll be more SAD.

Also note that Vestige Casting is incredibly overpowered because it allows spells to be cast as immediate actions, regardless of their prior casting time. As you can imagine, this gets cheesy real quick.

NecroDancer
2016-09-30, 05:30 PM
Cool thanks for the advice!

I've decided to go human, binder 1/Wu Jen 3/anima Mage 1feats: bind vestige, improved bind vestige, and two other feats

I decided to take a level in binder to reign my power level in a bit (I'm trying not to feed my Powergaming addiction and I think I may have still failed).

weckar
2016-09-30, 07:23 PM
your taking bind and improved bind even with a binder level?

NecroDancer
2016-09-30, 07:51 PM
your taking bind and improved bind even with a binder level?

Oops, Im going to change that to improved initiative. Thanks for catching that.

Inevitability
2016-10-01, 12:46 AM
Oops, Im going to change that to improved initiative. Thanks for catching that.

Also note that the feat that lets a creature with Bind Vestige bind more powerful vestiges is different from the one that lets binders do so. The first is called Improved Bind Vestige while the second is called Improved Binding. If you're taking a binder level, you need the second one.

Fizban
2016-10-01, 08:33 AM
I recommend a Battle Sorcerer with one of the many feats that grant Knowledge (the planes) as a class skill.
Why recommend Battle Sorcerer when he's going to PrC out of the HD/BAB while still eating the massive spellcasting penalties? You don't need it for Intimidate, nor armor unless you're playing from level 1.

Knowledge (Planes) is already available from the Planar Sorcerer substitution level at 5th (cost of one 2nd level spell known, and one of the best sorcerer ACFs if you ever use an energy spell). You take the same feats a human wizard would, Apprentice+Bind+Improved, Planar Sorc 5, Anima Mage. I just don't see entering Anima mage two levels sooner being worth tanking your spells known and spells per day so hard in order to give up the main benefit of hp. The only metamagic trick worth considering the cost is Persistant Spell, which is classically for buffs, of which you have few and shouldn't be gishing as you just gave up your gish chassis.

Inevitability
2016-10-01, 08:41 AM
Why recommend Battle Sorcerer when he's going to PrC out of the HD/BAB while still eating the massive spellcasting penalties? You don't need it for Intimidate, nor armor unless you're playing from level 1.

I was giving advice for the quickest possible entry, and if a sorcerer chassis is desired and no flaws are allowed then Battle Sorcerer is the best option.

Extra Anchovies
2016-10-02, 12:45 PM
How does Battle Sorcerer allow for earlier Anima Mage entry than stock Sorcerer?

Alignment: Any nongood
Skills: Intimidate 4 ranks , Knowledge (the planes) 4 ranks
Feat: Any metamagic feat
Spellcasting: Ability to cast 2nd-level arcane spells
Special: Ability to bind a 2nd-level vestige

Kaje
2016-10-02, 01:01 PM
Intimidate as a class skill.

weckar
2016-10-02, 01:02 PM
It makes intimidate a class skill.

Extra Anchovies
2016-10-02, 02:26 PM
Righto, thanks. Binder also has Intimidate in-class, so Battle Sorcerer only gets earlier entry if you're using the Bind Vestige/Improved Bind Vestige route.

Edit: Draconic Heritage adds Intimidate as a sorcerer class skill, and spending one feat is probably worth not having to give up one spell known and per day of each level. A Silverbrow Human Sorcerer with the Dragonblooded Sorcerer substitution level(s) can spend their two first-level feats on (Improved) Bind Vestige, and pick up any metamagic feat at 3rd, to qualify at 4th level (the same time as Battle Sorcerer).