PDA

View Full Version : Are There Spells, Items, Feats, or 0 LA/HD Races That Approximate These?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-30, 10:56 AM
This is a bit of a mixed bag, but I figured I'd go ahead and toss them all together, just in case someone happens to know a relatively cheap and easy way to get any of the following abilities (or an approximation thereof) without going through the rigmarole of faffiing about with tons of levels or high LA/HD races, or illithid savant, for that matter.

Dweomerkeeper's Supernatural Spell -- Cast spells as (Su) abilities X/day, completely avoid any material or XP components
Ardent's Dominant Ideal Alternative Class Feature -- None of the powers on the mantle require expended psionic focus when manifesting with metapsionics; all metapsionic costs are reduced by -2 pp.
Ruby Knight Vindicator's Divine Impetus -- Expend Turn Undead use per day for an extra immediate action.
Incantatrix's Metamagic Effect -- 3+Int mod/day, as a full-round action, make a Spellcraft check to apply metamagic feats to an existing spell effect.
Vermin Lord's Hivemind -- Create a hiveminded creature out of vermin or animals; become part of the hivemind yourself, which you in control of as if it were a part of you. I assume you can experience everything the other members of the hivemind experience, like they're an extension of your own body and awareness.
Hulking Hurler's Really Throw Anything -- Can use the Throw Anything feat on...well...anything, so long as you can carry it as a light load; improvised weapons take a -2 penalty instead of a -4, and the range for thrown improvised weapons is 10' + 5' per size category you are beyond Large.
Warblade's Stance Mastery -- Can enter two initiator stances simultaneously as a swift action.
Metaphysical Spellshaper's Metamagic Mastery -- All metamagic costs are reduced by -1, to a minimum of +1. I know there are ways to reduce costs for a specific spell or for a specific metamagic feats, but most such ways are very limited.
Dragon Ascendant's Immortality -- Become a divine rank 0 demigod, along with everything that implies (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm).
Hagunemnon's Alter Shape -- I'd like some way to use transformative magics to take several beasties' abilities simultaneously, preferably without making them permanent or turning into a bubbling monstrosity. Hagnumenon is a big, oozing mass (a la Akira), which requires a move action to stabilize every round. I'd just like some way to mix and match critters when I cast polymorph or manifest metamorphosis. Bugbears had to come from somewhere, after all.

So, any ideas?

Name1
2016-09-30, 11:04 AM
Dragon Ascendant's Immortality can be emulated by taking the Einherjar-Template in the 3.5 update of Deities and Demigods. It tells you to treat the Einherjar like an aquired template, which means it follows template rules, which means that it follows the SRDs entry for reading templates, which means that it doesn't change your LA if there is no LA-entry in the template description. The sample monsters also suggest there to be no change in LA or CR. Of course, while it is a LA +0 Template, it requires you to play a level 10 Fighter, Ranger, Barbarian or Paladin... Which means it's only worth it if you can somehow get your hand on at least one Divine Rank for Alter Reality.

Treat “einherjar” as an acquired template that can be applied to any humanoid creature of good alignment that has at least 10 levels of barbarian, fighter, ranger, or paladin. The einherjar presented in Deities and Demigods are samples applied to 20th-level characters of three different races. An einherjar uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Divine Rank: Einherjar are quasi-deities, with a divine rank of 0.
Size and Type: Size remains unchanged. The creature’s type changes to outsider with the good subtype and it gains the extraplanar subtype if it visits the Material Plane.
Speed: The base creature’s base land speed increases by 30 feet.
Special Qualities: The base creature gains certain traits by virtue of its divine rank:
Quasi-Deity Traits: Immune to transmutation, energy drain, ability
drain, ability damage, mind-affecting effects; damage reduction
10/epic; fire resistance 5; spell resistance 32; immortal.

Playing an Asgardian giant is far cleaner, as it actually adresses the fact that you have +4 LA and are thus a playable Quasideity, but that doesn't fit with your description (and it's an ECL of 23...ouch).

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-30, 11:14 AM
Dragon Ascendant's Immortality can be emulated by taking the Einherjar-Template in the 3.5 update of Deities and Demigods. It tells you to treat the Einherjar like an aquired template, which means it follows template rules, which means that it follows the SRDs entry for reading templates, which means that it doesn't change your LA if there is no LA-entry in the template description. The sample monsters also suggest there to be no change in LA or CR. Of course, while it is a LA +0 Template, it requires you to play a level 10 Fighter, Ranger, Barbarian or Paladin... Which means it's only worth it if you can somehow get your hand on at least one Divine Rank for Alter Reality.I...suppose...I could use some illithid savant to either eat a dragon ascendant for its immortality, or I could take a couple of levels in one of those classes and eat a level 10 legacy champion for its "+1 level of existing class features" x8, and then take einherjar. I'm pretty sure they're basically identical, though the latter is easier to acquire, since you don't need to eat an actual demigod (or an ice assassin thereof).

Where's the asgardian giant from?

Name1
2016-09-30, 11:51 AM
I...suppose...I could use some illithid savant to either eat a dragon ascendant for its immortality, or I could take a couple of levels in one of those classes and eat a level 10 legacy champion for its "+1 level of existing class features" x8, and then take einherjar. I'm pretty sure they're basically identical, though the latter is easier to acquire, since you don't need to eat an actual demigod (or an ice assassin thereof).

Where's the asgardian giant from?

If Illithid Savant is on the table... A good idea would be consuming a Greater Doppelganger, since it can absorb 3 Humanoids and gain all their class features (even if it can only use one shape at a time). It can't copy divine abilities though, so the RKV is out... but I suppose at that point, you wouldn't have asked for +0 LA stuff and all that. I think the closest thing I can think of is Chaos Shuffeling Heroics to get Arcane Thesis for whatever spell you want to approximate the Metaphysical Spellshaper or the Incantrix, but even that is incomplete and costs actions. Dwoemerkeepers Supernatural Spell could be approximated by a Shaedling's Shadow Weave if you know what you're doing, but that would still allow SR and requires UMD (and it's a race with I think +2 LA).

So... if you build around it, I'm sure there are ways to get these abilities (Illithid Savant + Greater Doppelganger cheese), but the only way you can get that stuff for free is Fusion + Astral Seed.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-30, 12:05 PM
A lot of these are grabbable via illithid savant, but I'd like to minimize my reliance on it when possible.

Troacctid
2016-09-30, 12:38 PM
Warblade's Stance Mastery -- Can enter two initiator stances simultaneously as a swift action.
The only way to do this is with Warblade 20 or Master of Nine 2.

Hagunemnon's Alter Shape -- I'd like some way to use transformative magics to take several beasties' abilities simultaneously, preferably without making them permanent or turning into a bubbling monstrosity. Hagnumenon is a big, oozing mass (a la Akira), which requires a move action to stabilize every round. I'd just like some way to mix and match critters when I cast polymorph or manifest metamorphosis. Bugbears had to come from somewhere, after all.
Master Transmogrifists can do this.

The Viscount
2016-09-30, 12:54 PM
Dweomerkeeper's can be duplicated first via a means of converting the spell into SLA (whichever you prefer) coupled with supernatural transformation as a feat.

Ardent's can be sort of replicated via just regaining focus very quickly via Psionic Meditation+ Hustle and help with Instant Clarity. Psicrystal Containment is also more bang for your buck.

RKV's is quite hard, closest I can find is Synad, which is limited. If you want immediates for counters, stance of alacrity.

Creation of Hiveminds can be done via applications of Dark Speech.

Metamagic Reducers are varied, but the broadest one I know of is the use of Slaymate from LM. Rebuke one and just carry it around.

Really Throw anything and Stance Mastery are to the best of my knowledge unique. I'm not counting Master of Nine's Dual Stance because it is limited.

If you want to mix monster abilities you can do so with Master Transmogrifist's Infinite variety and assume supernatural ability.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to avoid Illithid Savant?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-30, 12:57 PM
Dweomerkeeper's can be duplicated first via a means of converting the spell into SLA (whichever you prefer) coupled with supernatural transformation as a feat.I'm honestly more interested in the "no components whatsoever" bit, really. No XP or expensive components, and free Silent and Still Spell? Sign me up.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to avoid Illithid Savant?Too easy to get everything I could want -- plus, some things, like the hagunemnon ability, have nasty side effects I'd rather avoid.

Not to mention that illithid savant isn't exactly legal in most games, much like the bulk of the rest of the list. Just wondering if there are some better, more acceptable sources for similar abilities elsewhere.

ben-zayb
2016-09-30, 11:48 PM
Well, Ice Assassin + Fusion + Astral Seed is still on the table, right?