PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help with summoner eidolon background

ShadowMan25
2016-09-30, 11:33 AM
so for an upcoming campaign i'm going to be playing a unchained summoner who is going to be a young pc (got to ask DM) who eidolon looks like a monster version of the teddy bear that (he/she) carries. this eidolon is going to be a Psychopomp eidolon (not doing evil subtypes) for the whole child with a mysterious and scary guardian theme.

so I need some help with the background part since eidolon now need a reason to be following a summoner. So why would a Psychopomp be follow a young pc around.

khadgar567
2016-09-30, 11:38 AM
so for an upcoming campaign i'm going to be playing a unchained summoner who is going to be a young pc (got to ask DM) who eidolon looks like a monster version of the teddy bear that (he/she) carries. this eidolon is going to be a Psychopomp eidolon (not doing evil subtypes) for the whole child with a mysterious and scary guardian theme.

so I need some help with the background part since eidolon now need a reason to be following a summoner. So why would a Psychopomp be follow a young pc around.
so basicly annie from league of legends and you need background for tibbers

Geddy2112
2016-09-30, 11:40 AM
You can use The dreamer/Lord Chompy Bits (http://www.wyrd-games.net/the-dreamer/) from the Malifaux setting for inspiration.

With a psychopomp following you around, you basically have the premise of the anime Deathnote as well. So long as you have some item/thing/reason bonding a shinigami psychopomp to you.

ShadowMan25
2016-09-30, 12:14 PM
so basicly annie from league of legends and you need background for tibbers

never played League of legends and this is the first i heard of annie and tibbers. the character concept is about right but i'm struggling with the background, yes I will probably be an abandoned child but why would a creature who entire purpose is to hunt down and guide souls to the afterlife be following/guarding a child.

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-30, 12:39 PM
You can use The dreamer/Lord Chompy Bits (http://www.wyrd-games.net/the-dreamer/) from the Malifaux setting for inspiration.

Ooh, that is very cool. I hadn't previously considered a concept which gave the eidolon and other summons the same source like that.

never played League of legends and this is the first i heard of annie and tibbers. the character concept is about right but i'm struggling with the background, yes I will probably be an abandoned child but why would a creature who entire purpose is to hunt down and guide souls to the afterlife be following/guarding a child.

Psychopomp soul harvesters need to be connected to a specific soul to remain on the Material Plane for more than a few minutes at a time, and most psychopomps cannot leave the Boneyard for the Material at all without a soul (usually the dying creature who they will guide to the afterlife) acting as an transplanar beacon. The child died from accidental injury at a young age, and Pharasma's judgement was that their death had come earlier than prophesied. The Psychopomp lords offered the child a second chance at life in exchange for service as a shepherd of souls and destroyer of undead. A powerful psychopomp (the Eidolon) is bound to the child's soul - and will be the one to eventually guide the child to the afterlife - and the child acts as a beacon to call lesser psychopomps (the Summon Monster SLA). In return, the child is granted the loyalty of the psychopomps they call to the Material Plane and an array of magical powers (spellcasting). The Eidolon appears as the teddy bear because the link between summoner and eidolon causes the psychopomp to manifest in the shape of something of great importance to the summoner.

Edit: none of the stuff I said about Psychopomps is necessarily Pathfinder canon, but I think it's a background with a lot of potential in a compatible setting. I like the idea of a character who has a peaceful and mutually beneficial relationship with the same spirit that will collect their soul upon their death enough that I kinda want to play this summoner myself now.

khadgar567
2016-09-30, 12:51 PM
Ooh, that is very cool. I hadn't previously considered a concept which gave the eidolon and other summons the same source like that.

Psychopomp soul harvesters need to be connected to a specific soul to remain on the Material Plane for more than a few minutes at a time, and most psychopomps cannot leave the Boneyard for the Material at all without a soul (usually the dying creature who they will guide to the afterlife) acting as an transplanar beacon. The child died from accidental injury at a young age, and Pharasma's judgement was that their death had come earlier than prophesied. The Psychopomp lords offered the child a second chance at life in exchange for service as a shepherd of souls and destroyer of undead. A powerful psychopomp (the Eidolon) is bound to the child's soul - and will be the one to eventually guide the child to the afterlife - and the child acts as a beacon to call lesser psychopomps (the Summon Monster SLA). In return, the child is granted the loyalty of the psychopomps they call to the Material Plane and an array of magical powers (spellcasting). The Eidolon appears as the teddy bear because the link between summoner and eidolon causes the psychopomp to manifest in the shape of something of great importance to the summoner.

Edit: none of the stuff I said about Psychopomps is necessarily Pathfinder canon, but I think it's a background with a lot of potential in a compatible setting. I like the idea of a character who has a peaceful and mutually beneficial relationship with the same spirit that will collect their soul upon their death enough that I kinda want to play this summoner myself now.
you know it's literally perfect for what he wants

ShadowMan25
2016-09-30, 12:54 PM

I bow at your feet oh great one:smallbiggrin: this is perfect, I did not even mention that we are playing a horror campaign with a lot of undead foes, so it perfect and make sense.

saw your edit. I don't think my dm will mind refluffing the Psychopomp like that.