PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Building a Druid/Halfing Outrider/Beast Master

CaPtMalHammer
2016-09-30, 01:31 PM
So I am working on a level 20 build for an upcoming game. we will be going from 1 to 20 and want to do a Halfing Outrider build. I think I am going to go druid/Halfling outrider and the Beast Master. any suggestions for feats etc?

Restrictions, Core and Complete only, no world books or DM allowed.

Stats:

Str. 12
Dex.18
Con.12
Int. 13
Wis. 14
Chr.11

wasn't the best rolls but was workable.

eggynack
2016-09-30, 01:54 PM
Natural bond from complete adventurer is a classic, capable of giving a whole advancement bump to alternative companions. Also, it's not all that clear whether you can use books that are neither core+complete nor setting specific/dragon, so companion spellbond from the PHB II is kinda neat if you have enough casting, and exalted companion from the book of exalted deeds allows you to apply vow of poverty to your animal companion, which is good. Along different lines, if you can use races of the wild, halfling substitution levels fit perfectly into this sort of plan. My handbook also has some stuff on animal companion options, and feats for them. Also, you'd probably be better off skipping beast master and halfling outrider, relying on your casting to get your companion to that kinda level. Just saying.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-09-30, 02:29 PM
I meant I can only use core book, completes and yes races of the X books. No stuff like eberon or book of vile darkness etc and no DM. I like natural bond and the companion spellbond is neat will use that. the idea was do have a lance like character for mounted combat and still level the companion as a beast. less focused on druid casting and more on martial uses with the companion. I though about ranger but it takes till level 4 to even get the companion in the first place :)

CaPtMalHammer
2016-09-30, 03:14 PM
And In case I forget to in responses. Here is a Thank you to all who post and respond:)

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-30, 03:26 PM
Strongheart Halfling Paladin 5/Beastmaster 1 is the best entry for Halfling Outrider. Mounted Combat and Skill Focus (Handle Animal) at 1st, Mounted Archery at 3rd, Devoted Tracker at 6th. By the time you finish Halfling Outrider at level 16, your companion has the benefits of a 15th-level Paladin's mount and a 14th-level Druid's companion. It will have more hit dice than you, and will be a total badass in general - especially if you take something awesome like a dire badger. The only concern is that you are only getting Ride-By Attack and Spirited Charge at levels 9 and 12 unless you're playing with flaws.

gorfnab
2016-09-30, 03:33 PM
Strongheart Halfling Paladin 5/Beastmaster 1 is the best entry for Halfling Outrider. Mounted Combat and Skill Focus (Handle Animal) at 1st, Mounted Archery at 3rd, Devoted Tracker at 6th. By the time you finish Halfling Outrider at level 16, your companion has the benefits of a 15th-level Paladin's mount and a 14th-level Druid's companion. It will have more hit dice than you, and will be a total badass in general - especially if you take something awesome like a dire badger. The only concern is that you are only getting Ride-By Attack and Spirited Charge at levels 9 and 12 unless you're playing with flaws.
Building on this post

This build is commonly referred to as the Supermount build. Here is a sample build layout of it in the spoiler.

LG Strongheart Halfling
1. Paladin - Mounted Combat, Track
2. Paladin
3. Paladin - Skill Focus: Handle Animal (prereq for Beast Master)
4. Paladin
5. Paladin
6. Beastmaster - Devoted Tracker
7. Beastmaster
8. Wild Plains Outrider
9. Wild Plains Outrider - Mounted Archery
10. Wild Plains Outrider
11. Halfling Outrider
12. Halfling Outrider - Natural Bond
13. Halfling Outrider
14. Halfling Outrider
15. Halfling Outrider - Ride By Attack (or some other feat)
16. Halfling Outrider
17. Halfling Outrider
18. Halfling Outrider - Spirited Charge (or some other feat)
19. Halfling Outrider
20. Halfling Outrider

Devoted Tracker abilities at 20th level:
Special Mount abilities at 20th level: 18th level Paladin = Paladin 5 + Wild Plains 3 + Half-Out 10
Animal Companion abilities at 20th level: 18th level Druid = Beast Master 5 + Natural Bond 3 + Half-Out 10

CaPtMalHammer
2016-09-30, 03:34 PM
I really like devoted tracker may use that in some way. Spirted Charge and Ride by attack I love!:) what got me thinking about this in the first place. thank you, not sure about Paladin, more from a flare stand point. was thinking more the free range merc style rather then a pompous lawful good paladin if that makes sense.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-09-30, 03:35 PM
never even thought about wild plains outrider:) that is an awesome addition.

maybe a build like this,

1- Druid, Mounted Combat
2- Fighter, Ride by Attack
3- Druid, natural Bond
4, Fighter, Spirited Charge
5, druid
6, Halfling outrider, (companion spellbond)
7, Wild plains outrider
8, Halfling outrider
9, wild plains outrider (unknown Feat)
10, Halfling outrider
11, wild plains outrider
12-16 Halfling outrider (Unknown Feats x2)
17-20 (Unknown Levels)

CaPtMalHammer
2016-10-06, 12:39 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on those question levels? feats? or maybe a different order to take the prestige classes for the build above?

daremetoidareyo
2016-10-06, 01:46 PM
Put +1 into con at 8th and take shape soulmeld. Then take share soulmeld.

Cerulean sandals = walk on water
Thunderstep boots +1d4 sonic on charge
Soulspark thing: you both get a soul spark.
Spellward shirt : SR 4

Or go totemist for those unknown levels. Share any of the awesome totem chakra soulmelds.
Tremendous charge also comes to mind

CaPtMalHammer
2016-10-07, 10:04 AM
totem is interesting, isn't that Barbarian? would be an interesting dip in the end to boost strength score and the totems add an interesting thing:)

Extra Anchovies
2016-10-07, 09:48 PM
totem is interesting, isn't that Barbarian? would be an interesting dip in the end to boost strength score and the totems add an interesting thing:)

You seem to be referring to the various Totem and Spirit Totem ACFs for the Barbarian class, but daremetoidareyo is suggesting the Totemist (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050907a&page=3) from Magic of Incarnum. Here's a nice guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?287304-danzibr-s-Totemist-Handbook) to Incarnum in general and the Totemist in particular.