PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] easy story-based way to awaken psionic abilities?

Cheech
2016-09-30, 04:41 PM
One of my players is playing a monk, planning on moving into psionic fist. I intend to waive the wild talent requirement, as it seems an unnecessary feat tax for something he pretty much needs to keep up with the rest of the party.

I'd rather not just do it by DM fiat (though I can if necessary). So I'm looking to justify it by working his latent psionic abilities starting to awaken into the story. Preferably without too much disruption to the existing storyline (which is protecting the Kingdom's border from, and then taking out the leader of, an orc tribe). Ideally he'd have to do a bit of work for it, so he felt like he'd earned it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Vizzerdrix
2016-09-30, 04:45 PM
Chase a falling star, only to have it jam a crystal into his brain.

Side note. I never did understand the thing with psionics and crystals.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-30, 04:55 PM
He's meditating and practicing his katas when he punches out toward a nearby target and accidentally sets it on fire with the punch. Voila. He just awoke his latent psionic talents that were there all along, through his Lawful adherence to training his body and mind.

Or maybe Pandorym the elder evil's seals are breaking, awakening latent psionic talent around the world.

Vizzerdrix
2016-09-30, 04:58 PM
A one night stand with an illithid lady of the evening goes horrably, horrably wrong, then horrably, horrably right. Switch right and wrong to taste.

Name1
2016-09-30, 05:22 PM
Side note. I never did understand the thing with psionics and crystals.

I always figured it's the same thing magic has with written things: It's the easiest way to use them.

For my own idea... Maybe he got a vision in his dream with his dead (insert family member) telling him from "the higher ups" that he was choosen and his gifts will awaken so that he may use them when he is called upon. Obviously, the dead family member is actually a Quori posing as such. They do the psionics.

Waker
2016-09-30, 05:34 PM
Give him an out of body experience? A number of beings on the Astral Plane have psionic powers, maybe when his mind was drifting as it were, he got attacked and part of him "recognized" the energy. And then when he wakes up in the middle of the night and excitedly yells at the party in his underwear "Guys, I have something incredible to show you!", he manifests his first power. What? Why are you laughing?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-30, 05:38 PM
Give him an out of body experience? A number of beings on the Astral Plane have psionic powers, maybe when his mind was drifting as it were, he got attacked and part of him "recognized" the energy. And then when he wakes up in the middle of the night and excitedly yells at the party in his underwear "Guys, I have something incredible to show you!", he manifests his first power. What? Why are you laughing?Expansion? Entangling ectoplasm? Or grease, maybe?

Segev
2016-09-30, 05:39 PM
Hit him with a Mind Blast or a psionic disease of some sort, and after he recovers, have there be a permanent "injury" that opened his mind to psychic energies. Play it up as "cursed with awesome" if you like. It's a bad thing - in theory - but it doesn't have to be so in game terms. Opens up to potential storylines about the dangers of his condition later, if you wish, or can just be fluff and a mild concern. Or maybe he heals himself in such a way that the damage is kept at bay by his monkly meditations, and he still gets the cool powers out of it. Heck, maybe the cool powers are a side effect of his efforts to keep the damage from spreading/becoming life-threatening.