PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathfinder Combat Maneuver's against allies

Mazricoth
2016-09-30, 04:51 PM
My group sees this happening over and over. We get ambushed by enemies, or an offensive push fails, and one person is in danger of dying. As a solution, our monk tries to reposistion or drag the person out of harm's way. Unfortunately we keep disagreeing over whether or not CMB/CMD applies. On one hand, rolling CMB determines how far you can drag an enemy, and in the middle of a fight having someone grab you suddenly could reasonably cause you to resist. However on the other hand it's assumed you don't dodge touch spells from friendlies giving spell buffs, and if you do have time to recognize the ally's help, there's no reason to resist against it.

Is there a rule for combat maneuver's on allies, or are they automatically treated like enemies?

digiman619
2016-09-30, 05:15 PM
I don't know if there's a RAW answer, but how I'd answer it if I was GMing: Can they see you? If the can see you, they know you're helping and won't resist. If they can't, you instinctually resist until you know what's going on.

Mazricoth
2016-10-01, 11:38 AM
The question then is: How far could we move if we used a drag maneuver? Succeeding gets us 5 feet, and every 5 you beat the cmd gives you another 5 feet. But if there's no roll how do we determine it? Up to your movement?

Bucky
2016-10-01, 11:42 AM
The question then is: How far could we move if we used a drag maneuver? Succeeding gets us 5 feet, and every 5 you beat the cmd gives you another 5 feet. But if there's no roll how do we determine it? Up to your movement?

I would rule that your ally can waive most of their bonuses to CMD, so you roll against a CMD of 10 + size modifier. Or their actual CMD if it's lower.

Psyren
2016-10-01, 04:42 PM
I'd let them treat themselves as flat-footed (i.e. no dex or dodge bonuses) as well as untyped bonuses that come from training like feats. But some things like Size would still apply, as would magic items that might not be able to differentiate between a voluntary reposition and involuntary one.

StreamOfTheSky
2016-10-01, 07:00 PM
I'd let them treat themselves as flat-footed (i.e. no dex or dodge bonuses) as well as untyped bonuses that come from training like feats. But some things like Size would still apply, as would magic items that might not be able to differentiate between a voluntary reposition and involuntary one.

Also, BAB. Should definitely be able to "turn it off" if you want, and BAB is probably the largest single bonus you're applying to CMD. Also, this is specifically for drag and bull rush, where "how much you win by" matters. For other maneuvers where it's strictly pass/fail, I'm not sure there should even be a roll if the target is willing, or it should be very easy.

In any case, I recall asking about this on paizo's forums and ENWorld several years ago. It seems like a pretty common question to come up. Has there really been no official response yet?

Mazricoth
2016-10-02, 08:43 PM
In any case, I recall asking about this on paizo's forums and ENWorld several years ago. It seems like a pretty common question to come up. Has there really been no official response yet?

I looked it up on google and didn't find anything, even your question. I've heard a bunch of different answers, but no one has mentioned any rules or official response that deal with the issue.

Psyren
2016-10-02, 10:47 PM
Also, BAB. Should definitely be able to "turn it off" if you want, and BAB is probably the largest single bonus you're applying to CMD.

Good point - yes, I'd let them switch that off too.