Hello i wanted ideas to improve the following build:

Starting Level: 2

Varían Human

Main Stats: Dex/Chr
Medium: Wis (for multiclass)
Regular: Str / Con
Dump: Int

Background: Urban Bounty Hunter (SCAG)

Initial Feat: Magic Initiate (Sorc) Greenflame Blade / Booming Blade & Mage Armor

FS: Dueling

Weapons: Rapier & Shield

Skills (8): Deceptión, Stealth, Acrobátics, Survival, Perception, Persuation, Intimidation, Athletics (2 back, 4 Rogue, 1 multiclass, 1VH).

Expertise: (not sure which two).

Favored Enemies: Humanoids / Giants

Ranger Arch: Hunter (Colossus Strike, Multiattack Defender)

Rogue Arch: Swash.

Progression (need help on this)

Rog*1/Ran*7/Rog*x
Or
Rog*1/Ran*6/Rog*2/Ran*1/Rog*x

Feats to take

Ran 4: Defensive duelist or Dex stat upgrade

Both Ranger and SW are the UA ones.

Thanks!

beargryllz
2016-09-30, 08:08 PM
I'm going ranger first for a marginal HP gain and doing archery style. I'm using wild elf instead of human because you don't actually need a feat in this build, unlike other builds that almost have to have a certain feat. Having said that, sharpshooter is comically cheesy and can be used right away if you want to go human. Expertise is perception and persuasion. Favored enemy is undead because who has ever avoided fighting undead in a D&D game? I think it will work very nicely.

A variant of this build would be non-elf and animal handling expertise. Be a mounted archer *without* committing to a subclass that can utilize a mount.

Background is outlander. Use that hunting trap! Snare somebody and start the fight with advantage.

Linker2k
2016-09-30, 08:13 PM
Thanks! But i'm actually looking for a meele fighter as my party already has a caster and a Ranger (archer).

Also i start with Rogue because of the 1 extra skill.

What about progression?

EDIT: i choose humanoid instead of undead because most of the enemies are humanoids, from goblins to orcs, and giants because ogres and trolls.

beargryllz
2016-09-30, 08:19 PM
Ranger 2 -> rogue 4+ or stop -> ranger 5+

Ranger first for that insane +2 on attack rolls. You want that ASI, but I personally want assassin very early for poison use, instakill headshots, etc. I would go arcane trickster here if I started as a fighter instead of a ranger. Rangers will probably want to utilize concentration on hunter's mark and don't really need any other spells for combat. Curing wounds or passing without trace out of combat is just further increasing utility.

I also don't need a second attack from ranger 5+, but I also want to get colossus slayer after assassinate for superb sustained damage after the ambush or when our party is ambushed and I need to contribute more in heavy combat. You have rogue levels, so you can dash/disengage away and leave your party members to deal with them before you stab/shoot them in the back later.

My theme here is attrition. You can run over enemies from horseback, shoot them, run away into a trap, hide, poison their witch leader, employ hit & run. All of that is better accomplished with a longbow, so I'm going that way.

djreynolds
2016-10-01, 02:52 AM
Arcane trickster could get you those spells without taking magic initiate.

Deep stalker would get you Iron Mind, free wisdom save proficiency, and some nifty spells also.

Also grab rogue 2 quickly, as going S&B you lack a bonus action, and cunning action would allow you to dash or disengage when needed.

Linker2k
2016-10-01, 05:01 AM
Arcane trickster could get you those spells without taking magic initiate.

Deep stalker would get you Iron Mind, free wisdom save proficiency, and some nifty spells also.

Also grab rogue 2 quickly, as going S&B you lack a bonus action, and cunning action would allow you to dash or disengage when needed.

Cant use arcane trickstet as is an int build. That's why i take mi sorc not wiz Also AT specifies the cantrips need to be enchantment or ilusión.

The archetype for Rogue needs to be shash brcause of the concept.

Regarding progresión i agree i might go

Rog/Ran/Rog/Ran*5/Rog/Ran/Rog*x

I need this to take advantage of booming blade + disengage as i wont hace the swash auto disengage until lvl 10.

Specter
2016-10-01, 07:35 AM
I'm not sure why you're picking GFB and BB, but they won't stack with Extra Attack and you can't use them with OP attacks without War Caster. Maybe it would be best to pick them with Arcane Trickster.

Linker2k
2016-10-01, 08:26 AM
I'm not sure why you're picking GFB and BB, but they won't stack with Extra Attack and you can't use them with OP attacks without War Caster. Maybe it would be best to pick them with Arcane Trickster.

Im planning to use extra attack for ranged only. The BB is to combine with BA or SW automatic disengage CC, GF blade after lvl 5 is smite with splash. The reaction i wanted to.use it for evasión or defensive duelist.

djreynolds
2016-10-02, 02:32 AM
The sad thing is, even with a dumped intelligence many of the spells do not require a DC, such as BB/GFB or invisibility or the shield spell, which maybe better than defensive duelist

though limited the shield spell is the entire turn, not just one attack and can be used for melee or ranged, and no intelligence required and you as a multiclass caster, you can use either your ranger or arcane trickster in those spell slots.

just grab spells for utility

Linker2k
2016-10-02, 06:56 AM
The sad thing is, even with a dumped intelligence many of the spells do not require a DC, such as BB/GFB or invisibility or the shield spell, which maybe better than defensive duelist

though limited the shield spell is the entire turn, not just one attack and can be used for melee or ranged, and no intelligence required and you as a multiclass caster, you can use either your ranger or arcane trickster in those spell slots.

just grab spells for utility

The only issue i have with shield is that i only hace one use per LR, i tought FFamiliar or FFall

About the cantrips i only get two otherwise i want prestidigitation.

Specter
2016-10-02, 08:17 AM
Just to clarify, AT's cantrips can come from any school. The restrictions applies only to the spells.

Defensive Duelist is a garbage feat. Instead, get your hands on Shield, either via AT or a Sorcerer dip.

djreynolds
2016-10-03, 12:38 AM
The only issue i have with shield is that i only hace one use per LR, i tought FFamiliar or FFall

About the cantrips i only get two otherwise i want prestidigitation.

Well say you are a ranger and AT, you combine you spell slots via the multiclass spellcasting rules and you can use the shield spell in any of those slots. ranger is 1/2 cast and AT is 1/3, so at say ranger 6 you are a 3rd level caster and AT 3 you are a 1st, but combined you are 4th level caster with 4 1st and 3 2nd spells, there is room there.

Also at 5th rogue you get uncanny dodge, pretty good.

And I like defensive duelist, I've used it and it does work.

So if you want to go the swashbuckler route, I think defensive duelist works. You just have to judge whether uncanny dodge will be better. If your proficiency bonus is 3 and the giant is going to hit, then use your reaction for uncanny dodge. If you can see the archer pelting you, use uncanny dodge as defensive duelist only works in melee. But the potential for +6 AC is quite nice.

Also since you are going ranger and rogue, it means you have wisdom and dex. So monk is not a bad dip for patient defense when you need it, even if it is once a short rest being able to take the dodge action after you attack might interest you and you gain unarmored defense there. With a max dex and just 14 in wisdom, you'll have a 17 in AC for a cheap dip in monk.

I really like the build you are working and would appreciate seeing how it works out for you.

Linker2k
2016-10-05, 05:20 PM
I'm going AT instead of Shawshbuckler as i have another player heavy on CHR.

Can you assist me creating the spell slot per level table? it's:

Ranger / Rogue*3 / Ranger *6 / Rogue *12

Bruno Carvalho
2016-10-05, 06:08 PM
Level - Caster Level
04 - 1 (Rogue 3)
05 - 2 (Ranger 2)
06 - 2
07 - 3 (Ranger 4)
08 - 3
09 - 4 (Ranger 6)
10 - 4
11 - 4
12 - 4
13 - 5 (Rogue 6)
14 - 5
15 - 5
16 - 6 (Rogue 9)
17 - 6
18 - 6
19 - 7 (Rogue 12)
20 - 7

EDIT: Btw, if you're interested in spell casting, then going Rogue 12/Ranger 8 is better, as you end up with 8th level casting. In comparison to the Rogue 13/Ranger7 build, you gain 1 extra caster level at level 11 (and delay all other caster level gains by 1)