PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration points instead of dice

TundraBuccaneer
2016-10-01, 02:08 AM
In my group we give out inspiration for good roleplay or seriously funny stuff. But this often leads to that some people don't get Inspiration dice because they do only minor roleplay for example or others would be told that they gained an inspiration dice, but they can't add one because they already have it checked. So I tried to think up a other why which is:

Instead of earning one dice you gain 1 point up to a max of 10 points. When you make a roll but before you would know if it would be a success you can add a number of points you chose to the outcome of the roll.

This would give more control to the players on their abilities, also give more rewards for playing a character well, And due to the multiple points it gives the dm a reason to give reward to smaller roleplay, lastly because it is easily gained and the players can decide not to use all of it the players will be more comfortable using this resource (if that's a good thing:smalltongue:).
Are there other people that have tried something like this? Do you think this is going to give some problems?

Socratov
2016-10-01, 05:22 AM
I have frequently played with games that allow inspiration to stack indefinitely. Something that's given as a roleplay bonus should not be limited to just 1 but left limitless to inspire more roleplaying.

I'd also encourage you to allow for more uses of them instead only rerolls. Maybe for more inspiration points you can count on support from your masters or something (like a cleric calling upon divine favours, druids that get help from the environment, and so on...

This way roleyplaying gets rewarded by further roleplay and not with just some mechanical benefit.

dropbear8mybaby
2016-10-01, 06:50 AM
I genuinely despise the entire concept behind Inspiration. I've found that these types of mechanics do not serve the purpose they're designed for, and in fact become detrimental to the group's dynamic since it favours certain people and actions due to the inherent biases of the DM and strengths of certain players. It's not fun to constantly miss out on these rewards and ends up feeling like a punishment rather than an incentive.

Your solution would only serve to exacerbate the problem that you've already indicated exists within your group. Some people just don't or can't roleplay in the way the group determines is worthy of reward. It's an inherently flawed and unfair system, in my opinion. And I say that as someone who tends to constantly be rewarded with mechanics like this because of my RP ability. I hate to see players miss out because they're shy, or just not into the RP aspect.

Reynaert
2016-10-01, 03:08 PM
Roleplay isn't just the talky-talky stuff, you also roleplay in a battle situation.

Therefore, the DM should also hand out inspiration when somebody does something deserving in a battle.

Sigreid
2016-10-01, 08:01 PM
I would suggest that allowing collecting a store of inspiration is a bad idea. I think the reason it's only 1 at a time is to encourage you to use it. And I think this is a good idea.